Start by marking “Moonrise” as Want to Read:
Moonrise

Moonrise

(Moonbase Saga #1)

In his first planetary exploration since Mars, Ben Bova, the master of the science novel, chronicles the first human colony settling on the Moon.
Published December 1st 1996 by Avon Books (NY) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Moonrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonrise

Nick T. Borrelli
So slow that I had to fight not to fall asleep while reading it. Bova is very hit or miss with me.
The hits are Mars, Jupiter, and Venus. This one however, was a big swing and a miss.
Dave Packard
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, laser
Finally continuing on in The Grand Tour... I didn’t realize that this was part of a “saga” until I searched for it to mark it read, but that is feel of this book - following a family and it’s foibles and achievements on Moon Base. Definitely enjoyed it!
Andrew
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good material on moon base speculations, but very dated in terms of sexism, misogyny, and xenophobia.
Hollowman
EDIT: Finished 2012-04-19. Went between Kindle and iPod (mp3 audiobook) to fit this book into my schedule. I have older-version audiobook -- Dick Hill is an EXCELLENT performer, as noted below -- so this version of Moonrise works best. I just began the sequel, Moonwar, and the narrator (performer) is not as good (the extra engineering -- voice effects, see below -- is also absent).

Bova, because of his background, is noted to incorporate substantial real science into his stories and plots. I wish
Nick
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Moonrise, by Ben Bova, is a favorite of mine because it was the novel that finally convinced me that Hard Science-Fiction could be just as entertaining as the action-packed space opera and military science fiction that I have always loved.

In Ben Bova's Grand Tour series, of which this is an early example, the action is confined only to technology that is theoretically within our reach now, the colonisation of the solar system and the actions of the human race as a whole. There are no aliens to f
Julie  Capell
For those of us who were just the right age when the first astronauts stepped onto the moon, who have never stopped being spellbound by the thought of setting foot on other worlds, who still believe humanity will make it to the stars . . . this book is for us.

Bova is at his best when describing the scientific and technological aspects of a lunar colony, such as nanotechnology and the very real dangers of living on an atmosphereless rock. But he can also wax poetic when describing the lunar lands
Rob Roy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the story of the early development of the new frontier on the moon, bound up by the lives of a far knit family. Tedious in places, but worth the read. Along with the story of development on the lunar surface, is the story of the triumph of fanaticism in the world. On the moon there is hope, on the earth despair. The truth of religion trumps liberty worldwide.
Craig Broadbent
Whilst I quie enjoyed the story I found the writing a little too simplistic a lot of the time. Too many inconsistencies that bugged me as I read through this novel. I'd recommend it though, as long as you are someone that can get over some annoying aspects of the story telling.
JP
A bit of a jump in focus and topic from Mars, Moonrise is more similar to Privateers et al (the Dan Randolph books), with more of a focus on corporate structure over science.

Amusingly, despite the title/series, Moonrise is only tangentially about the Moonbase, despite a large chunk of the book taking place there. Really, it's about the bizarre broken family and corporate dynamic of Masterson Aerospace and the rise of nanotechnology in Ben Bova's universe. From what I remember of other books in
Geoff Battle
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another hefty sci-fi tome from Bova which details and epic struggle to maintain a base upon the Moon. The usual Bova mechanics are in place; a brave hero, carefully thought out companions, company power struggles and family feuds. Of course the future technology is well detailed and explained, Bova is brilliant at creating believable science fiction scenarios. The action and suspense is well crafted with interesting characters and plot components. Moonrise is no short tale, at six hundred pages ...more
Patrick
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I picked this up in a used bin hoping for a bit of summer fluff, so I did not bring very high expectations, but this was pretty bad. The action moved along well enough, but the characters were all 1-dimensional, and Bova reveals an embarrassing sexism as he tries (unsuccessfully) to paint strong women characters. As if that were not enough, the science is a little patchwork; I found myself checking and rechecking the publication date, trying to figure out why, writing in the late 90s, he seems s ...more
Andy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an early entry in Bova's Grand Tour, and one of the better ones at that. Paul and Joanna Stavenger are desperately trying to keep their vision of colonizing the moon alive while many on Earth (as well as members of their own family) are doing their best to sabotage this mission. Bova again mixes drama with hardcore science fiction to create a suspenseful story about the future of mankind's exploration of the moon as well as the solar system. I really enjoyed this one.
George Evans
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. When I read the (2) books in the Moonbase Saga, I had no idea they were part of a larger collection; the The Grand Tour. I was just happy there was a continuation of Moonrise ... now I have to look into the Grand Tour. Loved the Moonbase Saga.
Rick English
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good science fiction. Lots of science. Plenty of action. Characters... OK
John
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent science fiction. Bova never disappoints.
Theo
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on the future of the moon with slightly prescient political overtones - just the other side is suppressing freedoms than what is predicted.
Long Williams
Meh, wasn’t good, wasn’t bad. More drama than sci-fi. Not Bova’s magnum opus.
Sherm Davis
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I came across this book after reading Km Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, and I was hungry for more great sci-fi. Unfortunately (for Bova and for me), this book was transparently thin. Light on the science, short on the fiction. The story took far too long to develop. The book could have been 350 pages instead of 550. The characters were one-dimensional and their motivations were far too obvious. The conflict was contrived, and the story itself could have gone deeper on many levels. There were p ...more
Durval Menezes
I'm getting through the books I haven't read yet on Bova's Grand Tour, and it was time for this one.

Like Privateers #1 and #2, it's almost pure Space Opera; not too bad if you like the genre (which I do) but sometimes its naivete started bothering me.

On the grand picture, it's not a great book, but it's not a bad book either, so I'm giving it a 3.
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
I love how Moonrise starts out. Paul Stavenger is stranded on the moon with nothing but the spacesuit he’s wearing. He’s miles from the nearest base and has only his own two feet to get him there. His strength, not to mention his air supply, is limited. How did he get into this terrifying predicament? Paul’s internal dialogue tells us that he was a victim of sabotage, deceit, and attempted murder. And then the flashbacks begin.

And the entire story is told in this fashion. Through Paul’s flashb
Charles
The story of a family's fascination with the moon and inhabiting it. Set in the near future, the first part details one man's fight to get the corporation he's suddenly leading to keep its moonbase project alive so it can finally realise the dream he has of it (and incidentally become profitable along the way). The second part details his son's and his wife's battle to do the same, only in a world now violently opposed to the nanotechnology that is the only thing letting the moonbase expand and ...more
Kris
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have already liked this book for all the reasons Ben Bova books generally appeal to me. The science fiction was convincing in such a way that inspires a person to think about the future, not merely get lost in the fantastic. However I love this book because the structure of this book was fascinating. The way the first part of the book starts at a climax with Paul Stavenger trekking across the moon trying to get to shelter before he dies of lack of oxygen or dehydration, while flashing ba ...more
AndrewP
A story of vision, honor, family betrayals and politics set against the backdrop of the first moon base. The main protagonists are driven by their vision of expanding mans presence on the moon and making serious steps to get a real foothold off the earth. Of course, not everyone agrees with this, especially greedy corporations, political groups and right wing religious nut jobs known as the New Morality. There's also some dirty family secrets in the mix too.

A good fast paced story with reasonabl
Jon
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Derek
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a normal ride through the Ben Bova universe. Nothing extraordinary. This is the base for a number of his other stories (of which I have already read) thus I felt the need to read it. The only complaint is that it covers such a vast amount of time and events (over a quarter century as he states a few times). All around a good read if you enjoy Bova. A must read to get to Moonwar which was an above average book.
Erik Graff
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bova fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I had read Kinsman, another of Bova's near-future Moon novels, and had enjoyed both its realism and humanity. When I found this title promising another such novel I was interested enough to obtain it and read it despite having pretty much given up on trying to keep up with science fiction. Although it was okay, it did not emotionally move me as much as Kinsman's treatment of the Cold War and the development of space weaponry had.
Andreas
Fairly interesting tale about the colonization of the moon. Although he might not have planned it that way originally, Moonwar kicked off Bova’s “Grand Tour of the Solar System” series. All in all, the Moon books are enjoyable, but not outstanding. The rather bleak ecodisaster future for the Earth often used as a backdrop by Bova is, I think, first portrayed here.

Tim
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have read a couple of Ben Bova books and gave this book 3 stars as had some good moments but i found i had to wade through a lot of yawn to get to it. i find with Ben Bova that first third of his books slow, quite good middle and last third just tails off with not much to say but this story was interesting with some original idears and settings so happy read and will tackle second book moonwar soon.
Greg Sidor
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved "Venus" and "Jupiter," but was less taken with "Saturn." Luckily, "Moonrise" is in line with the first two titles.

The adventure itself is great. Bova's nuanced description of the Moon paints a convincing picture. I do take issue with the ending. It seemed to go a little off the rails and ended quickly. He definitely could get another title out of these characters.
Corenna Dopkowski
Although I did not think I would like this type of book, Ben Bova draws you into the story from the first page, and he does an excellent job. I could not put the book down. He is well educated on his subject and makes his readers feel well educated, too. I would even consider living on the moon if conditions were as Mr. Bova writes!
Goodreads Librari...: Moonrise (Moonbase Saga #1) by Ben Bova 5 12 Sep 02, 2018 05:24PM

• The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • The Martian Race (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #1)
  • Moonfall
  • Titan (NASA Trilogy, #2)
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • Starborne
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Coyote (Coyote Trilogy, #1)
  • Giants' Star (Giants, #3)
  • Saturn Rukh
  • Building Harlequin's Moon
  • Challenger's Hope (Seafort Saga, #2)
  • Frameshift
  • Up Against It
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo

Moonbase Saga (2 books)
  • Moonwar (The Grand Tour, #6; Moonbase Saga, #2)