Start by marking “The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1

The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1 (The Losers Omnibus #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  884 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
With the eagerly anticipated Warner Bros. Pictures movie The Losers set to reach theaters in April 2010, DC Comics collects the first twelve issues of THE LOSERS -- from the ANTE UP and DOUBLE DOWN TPs -- into a single, explosive volume!

This collection introduces The Losers, formerly an elite U.S. Special Forces unit that served as the covert bloody hand of America until
Published February 2nd 2010 by Vertigo (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1

Sesana
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A heist comic that sets itself apart by making the target the American government, or at least a shadowy faction that works within it. Our heroes are former CIA, seemingly killed in action by their own handler after discovering the wrong secret. After years in hiding, they've gone on the offensive, working to take down the handler that betrayed them.

When you get right down to it, The Losers is a heist series. For something like this, I need plans that I can believe, daringly executed. And luckil
Gavin
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Well now this was a refreshing slap in the face. Great characters, impressive art, a politically charged storyline not very far removed from our own reality. This all comes together in this Volume 1. The kinetic nature of the action is well captured, but it's not just senseless violence, there's usually a goal in mind, and even then it tells a story.
Reading the introduction, this book was a kind of love letter to Shane Black movies, and it makes perfect sense...however this might even be more en
Loretta (Laughing Listener)

The Laughing Listener

Rating: 5 Stars

Ummmmm this book was SO. AWESOME. It's been days since I read this and my head is still spinning. So much action jammed into one book! Every friggin page had something going on. I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN.

READING YO

The plot of this is super clever and intriguing and I love the way it was put together. We uncover little splices of information while piecing together what happened to them in the past and it made me just as desperate as The Losers to find out what was going on
Wing Kee
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A well constructed paint by numbers heist book. 3.5.

World: Jock's art is stunning. Ever since Black Mirror I have been a big fan, it's framing and characters. The world building is solid and we'll done. It's done in dialog and little of it is info dumped. There's enough of it to keep the story going and just enough not to be overly military and jargon heavy.

Story: Well paced and we'll written, this is a well executed heist book. The pieces and the tropes are all there, even down to the team an
Tyler
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description
Jessica-Robyn
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of action movies and high stakes heists
Crime is probably one of my favourite genres, if only because it takes a great amount of talent to get it right. I had very high expectations of The Losers, from all the good things I've heard I was pretty sure it wouldn't be nearly what I imagined it might be. However am I happy with what I got!

Before I can even talk about the story, let us talk about the art. It captures the tone and severity of the characters so perfectly that if it was a single shade darker or lighter it wouldn't have worke
Aaron
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's a real feat for an espionage comic (or any piece of media, for that matter) to feel fresh and original. It's even more amazing when you realize The Losers is now 14 years old. With a combination of hard action, explosive art, heist mechanics and international conspiracies, Andy Diggle and Jock managed to make something extremely unique that has really withstood the test of time.

This is the second time I've read this particular volume, the first time being about 7 years ago. I don't remember
Callie Rose Tyler
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This action packed story about a group of soldiers going rogue to uncover a corrupt government is not the type of stuff that I usually read. However, I always appreciate cleverness, and the The Losers operate with style. They execute plans with Ocean's 11 type precision and that will always entertain me. I've never seen the movie so I'm not sure how they compare but the character developement is lacking with some of the players such as Clay, the leader. Others leave something to be desired, such ...more
Jean-christophe Boudreau
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now Losers is a pretty great action packed comic series, it follows a group of ex-Special Forces who everyone thinks is dead but is really in hiding and trying to get revenge on Max who tried to kill them. Its a series full of many different things such as plot twists which when I read it I wasn't expecting to happen as well as plenty of action and interesting interaction between the main group of characters. The art style was pretty unique and is not one that I have really seen in other comics ...more
Jim
Yup. The book is better than the movie.

The movie wasn't terrible; but it wasn't great, either.

The book it was based on, however, is pretty enjoyable.

I was able to pick it up at the library, but unfortunately, they don't have the sequel; and this 300-page omnibus was interesting enough to make me want to continue the story.
Sebastian Song
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Thoroughly spoilt by the movie adaptation. It's not the best in genre but worthy of a read.
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Did not finish. This was just...bad.
Wendy
Dec 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm madly in love with the movie, The Losers, and have watched it many, many times. There's something about a good buddy soldier film that just gets me.

Unfortunately, the graphic novel was a bit disappointing, at least initially. It was rather skeletal in terms of the plot and characters and their relationships and motivations. I commend the movie makers for expanding on this so well.

Okay, well the movie's plotline with Max was a bit over the top, but I'll forgive it for that because of everyth
Elysia
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
So, I really, really love The Losers movie (and not merely because of Chris Evans). I also somehow ended up really, really invested in my Losers ship of choice. Consequently, reading the comics seemed like a logical choice, especially when looking for a good break from the torturous exercise in marathon reading that is A Song of Ice and Fire.

While there are some significant differences between the comic and the film adaptation, this omnibus covers a lot of familiar territory. Having watched the
Mark
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
The first two books in this series were definitely a fun and exciting read. Andy Diggle certainly took the name of the classic DC war heroes The Losers and gave it a fresh twist, although at times it felt like a number of other properties.

However, since I'm reading the trade long after the issues came out, I'm quite sure that he was one of the first writers to tread this area in comics.

The art by Jock is what really sets this book apart though, his crisp and clean lines, with the inking in subtl
Mary
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Darian
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

I'm inclined to think that THE LOSERS is--like what Alan Moore said of WATCHMEN--strictly speaking, unfilmable. It's just too violent, too big, and the way some of the panels just segue into each other sometimes...

Diggle's dialogue is a bit cheesy and unbelievable at times, but this IS a comic book after all. So we can forgive him. Besides, he's got all the other areas covered: distinguishable characters, real-world relevance, great action, etc. And Jock is the comics equivalent of a master cine
Hobbes
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed reading this graphic novel. I admit I only picked it up because I loved the movie and was curious. The book does not setup a specific back story the way the movie does. Just that they saw something they were not suppose to and were put on a death list, which they survived. Now they are trying to track down Max who put them on the list, but they have no idea who he is or how to get to him. There is a lot more going on in the book than in the movie, but several bits are taken almos ...more
J.
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
A crazy, over-the-top heist caper, with obvious similarities to the A-Team, with mountains of action, conspiracies, and twists. This is like the summer blockbuster of comic books; it's loud, brash, and fun, but also seems sort of hollow. The pacing is a little strange because we get essentially a 6-issue heist with no character development, then 2 issues with no action and all character development, then a 4-issue heist with no development again. So Diggle doesn't manage to merge the two at all. ...more
ElenaSquareEyes
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the film The Losers and had high hopes for its source material and it as everything I wanted and more and I honestly think that The Losers is one of the most faithful book-to-film adaptations I’ve seen.

The Losers are a team of ex-CIA operatives who are trying to figure out who framed them and bring them to justice. Book One pretty much follows the events of the film (with more details and backstory obviously) while Book Two is completely new for someone like me who’d seen the film. The L
aaron
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
i really, really liked this graphic novel! the losers are a group of special ops agents who were framed and presumed dead in afghanistan. they go on a mission of revenge in order to find the c.i.a. spook who goes by the name of max. in order to do this they bring on a new member by the name of aisha...and she is vicious! this is a great revenge/conspiracy theory story that is beautifully illustrated by jock. the noir and heavy shadows lend themselves wonderfully to this great story!
Lisa Macklem
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
A ridiculously hard to follow narrative - that ends on a cliffhanger btw - be warned! The art is utterly terrible - half the time I couldn't tell Clay from Roque and bathing characters in shadow because you don't know how to draw faces becomes obvious after a while. One of the few times when the movie - which was awful - is actually better than the graphic novel. The movie at least made some kind of sense and you could tell who the characters were!
Miss Kate Reads
This is a bloody good read - violent, compelling, funny, and fast paced. Told from different perspectives, it's quite interesting seeing the story play out from different eyes.

I put this in my "made a serious impact" shelf because of the quotes that the beginning of the some of the "chapters" (for lack of a better word at the moment). There are some really interesting and vaguely terrifying quotes here.
Natlyn
May 23, 2010 rated it liked it
I was disappointed that the comic lacked the character interactions of the movie. While the underlying story is the same, the emphasis is different. This first volume (or rather first two volumes) is too guns and 'splodey things and not enough getting to know the characters. Perhaps that would be rectified in the following three volumes, but volume five is currently out of print, so I don't think I'll bother with three and four.
Mark
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
The art looks more like movie storyboards than comic book art and the language is the typical R-rated banter from your standard action film... which makes it unsurprising that this series was turned into a film earlier this year.

While I'm not crazy about the art (or most of the "homage to Shane Black, Screenwriter" dialogue), there's a very solid caper/good guys gone rogue storyline with some nifty plot twists.

Note: the violence is occasionally graphic.
Riju Ganguly
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Andy Diggle is one of the finest storytellers in business right now. How good is he? Well, he is SO good that even some truly inept filmmaking (Hollywood style) has failed to reduce the charm of this series that he had envisioned. And the artwork accompanying the story is literally outstanding (it forces one to imagine everything, including the backstory, about a character after you have seen him or her across a few frames). Truly superlative stuff that you ought to read. Highly Recommended.
Dan
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
The whole paranoia crime/spy thing seems kinda tired to me. I kind of lost interest in the beginning of this, and it became hard to try and keep track of who were "the good guys" and who "were the bad guys". I mean I understood that the main plot was that the scumbag corporation controls the government, and these guys wanted to stop it. I thought this was an average read.
Sophie
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Up until the 7th issue, this would've only gotten three stars, although it would have been somewhat unfair: since I saw the movie before reading the book, the first six issues where a bit boring and felt like they dragged on forever. But once I got into unknown territory, it got good again. Secret agents and special forces and conspiracies? Fun and compelling reading.
Sheila
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I think my rating would have been higher if I hadn't seen the movie first. Even though they are somewhat different, the fact that I already knew about what was going to happen made the novel a bit boring. I like the idea though--secrets, lies, a whole lot of blood&guts&guns--and am excited to read book two.
CupcakeBlonde
Another comic where the movie is better than the novel in my opinion. It was too jumbled to understand some parts. Perhaps I am not a full comic person. But I like other comics, this one just left me feeling not interested.
Bibliophiles of L...: August - Losers Omnibus Vol. 1 2 2 Jul 29, 2015 07:56PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #17 The Losers by Andy Diggle 1 1 Feb 03, 2014 10:37PM
  • Area 10
  • The Final Spell (Courtney Crumrin, #6)
  • Gotham City Sirens, Volume 2: Songs of the Sirens
  • Hit Girl #2
  • Young Liars, Vol. 1: Daydream Believer
  • Nightwing: On the Razor's Edge
  • Countdown to Infinite Crisis
  • Sleeper: Season One
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4
  • The Surrogates
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 3: The Bad Prince (Jack of Fables, #3)
  • Loveless, Vol. 1: A Kin of Homecoming
  • House of Mystery, Volume 6: Safe as Houses
  • The Punisher, Volume 1
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 5: On to Genesis
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 2: Crossroads (The Sixth Gun, #2)
  • Luna Park
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.: Architects of Forever
Andy Diggle is a British comic book writer and former editor of 2000 AD. He is best known for his work on The Losers,Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Adam Strange and Silent Dragon at DC Comics and for his run on Thunderbolts and Daredevil after his move to Marvel.

In 2013 Diggle left writing DC's Action Comics and began working with Dynamite Entertainment, writing a paranormal crime series Uncanny. He is
More about Andy Diggle
“I'm warning you, I am a lethal killing machine. It was a secret government experiment. They did stuff to me. Spooky stuff... Anal stuff. It turned me into a dangerous telekinetic. As the ancient Tibetan Philosophy states "Don't start none, won't be none!” 0 likes