Start by marking “Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)” as Want to Read:
Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)

Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #3)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,614 Ratings  ·  259 Reviews
When a body is discovered floating in a Thames river lock one damp and dreary morning, Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James are summoned from Scotland Yard to the Chiltern Hills outside of London. A drowning in the countryside doesn't ordinarily merit Scotland Yard's attention, but the dead man is Connor Swann, son-in-law of Sir Gerald Asherton, a renowne ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Berkley (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Leave the Grave Green, please sign up.

Holly I also had a hard time finding some of these "older" books. I asked the reference librarian and she found it via Inter-Library Loan. Best wishes!

Julie
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-mystery
Leave the Grave Green by Deborah Crombie is a 2010 Scribner publication. (Originally published in 1996)

This third installment in the Gemma and Kincaid series, is centered around the alleged drowning of Conner Swann, whose death may have been a tragic accident… but because the death is suspicious, and because Connor’s in-laws are influential, Kincaid has been assigned the case.

Kincaid immediately finds himself drawn to Connor’s widow, Julia, an artist, and struggles to maintain his professionali
Alex is The Romance Fox
Scotland Yard Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant Gemma Jones are back in Leave the Grave Green, the 3rd book Deborah Crombie's Series.

Investigating the suspicious drowning of the son-in-law of Sir Gerald and Dame Caroline Asherton, renowned figures in the music world, they discover that the family secrets of the past are linked to the murder.

The Asherton family, which includes their daughter, a famous painter, are a very strange lot. The parents seem to have favoured their son, who t
Rosa, really

The one where police Superintendant Duncan Kincaid thinks with his peen, Sergeant Gemma James is kinda silly and Rosa makes this face a lot:

Though it's a good mystery and nice to listen to. But sometimes I wonder if I just like it for the narrator's British accent. He could tell me my sweater makes me look like a dry turd and I'd just lean closer and say all breathily, "Could you repeat that, please?"
Hallie
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(You should read this after reading what I said about book #1, or else look at the rating and don't bother. I plan to indulge myself by venting some spleen, but nobody has to waste their time reading the rant.)

I'm not going to be very careful about spoilers, although I won't give away the actual whodunnit, because, honestly? This is not good. So. First thing is that I do NOT think this is how the Metropolitan Police Force operated, even back in 1995. Because the victim was an in-law (albeit estr
megan
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ebook
The best part of this book is all the food!
Yum!
Julie  Durnell
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england-uk
A great mystery that I did not solve early on. This series is so well done-Duncan and Gemma are super detectives and characters. I love how each book unveils a little more of their personal lives as well as the English small town settings!
Terri Lynn
Another winner in the series of mysteries about Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sargeant Gemma James.

In this book, Duncan and Gemma are drawn into the investigation of an apparent drowning death of Connor Swann, the son in law of musical giants Gerald and Caroline Asherton and estranged husband of their daughter Julia, an artist.

Julia wants a divorce and left Connor to live in the apartment they once shared while she returned to live at home with her parents at Badger
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Book 3. in a series that an keeps getting better. Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James are back investigating the death of the son-in-law of two celebrities in the Opera World. It transpires it is most likely that the man was pushed and there are a few likely suspects. His estranged wife, Julia Swann was with her young brother, Matty, when he drowned when they were children, so it seems a little suspect that Julia's husband whom she clearly despised, is also drowned. As Duncan and Gemma were asked to ...more
Sheila
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This British detective series must be starting to grow on me because I really liked this one. This is third in the CID Superintendant Duncan Kincaid. He and his assistant have to figure out what happened to a man found floating in the Thames. Many convoluted twists in this one.
 Olivermagnus
Scotland Yard Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant Gemma James are called to investigate a suspicious drowning in the countryside outside London. Connor Swann, son-in-law of conductor Sir Gerald Asherton and his wife, soprano, Dame Caroline Stowe, has been found floating in the Thames battered and bruised, under suspicious circumstances. Julia, the Ashertons' daughter, had recently left Connor, who was a drinker, a gambler and fond of other woman. Because of the Ashertons' high profile ...more
Play Book Tag: Leave the Grave Green, Deborah Crombie. 3 Stars 5 13 Apr 30, 2016 07:15PM
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Blue Last (Richard Jury, #17)
  • Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford, #8)
  • Castle Gay (Dickson McCunn, #2)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • With No One as Witness (Inspector Lynley, #13)
  • The Cipher Garden (Lake District Mystery #2)
Deborah Crombie is the author of 15 novels featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James. The 16th Kincaid/James novel, To Dwell in Darkness, will be released by William Morrow in September, 2014.

Crombie lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two German Shepherd Dogs, and two cats. She travels to Britain frequently to research her books.
More about Deborah Crombie...

Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)
  • Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Now May You Weep (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #9)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
“He said the words flatly, with an ease born of years of practice, yet it still amazed him that such simple sentences could contain such betrayal.” 0 likes
“said, “before you have your wicked way with me. I’m Tommy Godwin, by the way.” “So I’d gathered,” retorted Gemma, escaping gratefully to the loo. Once safely behind the closed” 0 likes