Start by marking “Bear in Underwear” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Bestselling pop artist Todd Goldman makes his Blue Apple Books debut with a zany story about a bear, a backpack filled with underwear, and his group of furry friends who cheer him on in search of the perfect fit.  Features comic-style illustrations and giggle-inspiring
‘tighty-whities’.
Published March 3rd 2010 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear in Underwear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear in Underwear

karen
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i mean - this book is getting 5 stars from me because i do not understand it, and i do not like the low-star ratings by people who fear this book for the wrong reasons. yes, i am the judge of reasons right now. scary, huh?? but this review is a gem for so many reasons, and its only comment kills me. i laffff.

but i understand some of the low-star reviews, i do. because there used to be a time when children's books had a message, right?? standards. a moral. this one seems like an explosion of terr
Thomas
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, childrens
Stumbled upon a copy of this at Target and read it with my younger cousin. We had a good laugh over it, and now I've decided to add it to my Goodreads shelf to help me meet my reading goal for people interested in children's books. I am curious as to why someone would stuff a backpack full of underwear, and I'm also curious as to why a bear would proceed to try on the underwear (let's hope they're new) with his friends in the hope of finding the perfect fit. But, I suppose the book is for kids.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Have you ever been around 4 year olds? They are obsessed with anything potty, booty or underwear related. They go into hysterics if someone farts or burps.

This book is for them.

Is the story silly - oh yes. A bear finds a backpack full of underwear and tries them all on until he finds the right ones that fit. That's it.

And the kids think it is the funniest damn book they have ever read.

The kids read it to each other and bust out laughing. They read lots of books, some more silly than others. I d
Haley Shaffer
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
keeton's rating, not mine. Because, well, underwear and Big Foot
Kelly
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute. Animals in underwear...what's not cute about that?
Sue Smith
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I mean - how can you not give a children's book that talks about underwear types a five star rating?! Tighty whities no less!! It gives hope for all of those people out there who would like to write a book but don't know about what ....or whether their idea has merit enough to be published. Tighty whiteys people - your published book opportunity is waiting!!

I can''t honestly say what attracted me to this book the most. It's not content, although it is a wee bit of a scream. Definitely kids would
Cliff Bathke
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
By Todd H. Doodler
1. This book is about bear and his friends. It starts off with a game of hide and go seek. Bear is such a good hider that no one can find him. He get hungry and decides to go home. On his way home he finds a back pack with lots of underwear in it. Bear and all his friend end up trying on underwear and having a fun time laughing and joking about the different styles of underwear.
2. This book is perfect for kindergarten.
3. This book would have to be more for a fu
Jul 31, 2010 marked it as to-order
I love books about underwear (not a very well hidden secret)
Mary Ann
While I like the artwork in this book - reminiscent of Scaredy Squirrel - the story and consistency leave much to be desired. When the bear runs across someone's backpack and hesistates to pick it up, children know this is a good thing - you don't look into someone's bag if you don't know whose it is. But when Bear reaches his friends, they all start pulling out the underwear, without any comment on whether this is OK or not. Kids are left wondering why Bear hesitated at first, and why he went a ...more
Andrew Stockle
“Bear in Underwear” – in order to understand “Bear in Underwear” it is important to first address the cover. It depicts a bear in his tighty whities. The weirdest part, however, is that the underwear is real fabric, which would normally invite the reader to have a tactile experience; however, if the reader chooses to participate in this experience it is rather awkward due to the fact that the fabric is his underwear and therefore placed in an area that one wouldn’t normally like to encourage tou ...more
Aubriann
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is silly and giggle inspiring.
The thing is, parents, teachers,aunts, uncles, and grandparents are adults. We read a lot into things because we have the experience of life. And it's our job to make sure children don't go around trying on the random backpacks full of underwear they run into on a daily basis.
The book is harmless, and makes every child I have given it to dissolve into fits of laughter. The same kind of laughter that is a result of saying, "A B C D E F Butt."
The pictures
Alison
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was really excited about reading this book to my 2-year-old. First, to get him excited about potty-training and wearing underwear, and secondly, because he loves animals and the illustrations were just TOO CUTE! Here's what I did not like: This book is peer pressure at it's worst and it uses some words that I would not use with my toddler (like "lame" and "dorky") or, for that matter, want him to hear. I would like to think that he should be a little bit older before using words like this. The ...more
Hafidha
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is weird and kind of hilarious. Some forest animals are playing hide and seek when Bear gets hungry and abandons his hiding place to go home for food. Along the way he finds a backpack and takes it with him. He arrives home and all his friends urge him to OPEN IT! Finally, he does. The backpack is full of underwear. He tries them all on - getting comments from his friends like, "Too big, too dirty, too girly." The last pair are "tighty whities" that fit just right.

This story is so ran
Gabrielle
Spunky. A great word to describe this book. I saw it and was instantly interested in what the book was going to be about. Of course, it's about a little bear whose critter friends cheer and push him along with a backpack full of underwear (that he found) in search of the perfect fit. The illustrations are so cute and funny you can't help but giggle. Young children would get a kick out of this book. The content is innocent, but it is up to your judgement on whether or not you would let you childr ...more
Amanda
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-book
What else do you need to know?

This is the story of a bear in underwear. If you are not already giggling, then
you should see a doctor because your funny bone is probably broken.

The illustrations are great and it's a cure story. Plus, if you are one of
those people that are looking for a book to do more that entertain, this one
has a nice little lesson that everyone is different and that is OK.

Tee-he-he, it's a bear who tries on funny underwear. How are you not
rushing to your nearest bookstore for a
Geni
Sep 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poop
The front cover to the book is so pervasive I am still in disbelief that it actually is available to children. The fact that you can TOUCH the bear's underwear...it's a cotton fabric so that it gives the illusion to children that it is alright not only to touch themselves but other children in underwear...I really think it will become one of those unbecoming books that promote masterbation and early on mis-behavior if read...especially by teachers or librarians...NO WAY! Why would you read a boo ...more
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A bear finds a suitcase in the forest and opens it up to find underwear! He tries on all the different pairs, and finally one pair fits! He then shares the rest with all of his friends, so all of the animals in the forest have undies!

Classroom: This book is about sharing, and we can try to predict as well. Relating it to real life is important too- do we put clothes on animals? What would you do if you saw a bear in underwear?
Terri
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
While I still don't fully understand the book, my kids love it and haul it off the Oldies But Goodies shelf at least once a month. Maybe it's the cloth underwear on the cover. Maybe it's Bigfoot playing hide and seek. Maybe it's the bear in pink girl's underwear. I'm not quite sure. But, I do know that if I find a backpack of underwear in the forest, I'm not likely to try them on. Maybe that's how I know that I'm an adult now. Hmmm....
Jessica
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my review.

This would be a great book to read before a child goes to sleep. It is a cute book about a little bear that goes camping! The meter for this book was fantastic and made it very catchy and song like.
Dona
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Sure to become a classic, Bear in Underwear is funny. Bear stumbles upon a backpack full of underwear and tries them all before he finds the pair that works for him. He then cheerfully shares the remaining underwear with all of his friends much to the delight of readers young and old. Laugh-out-loud illustrations and text.
Melissa
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
The story and illustrations are really funny but I was a bit unsure of the premise. A backpack full of underwear just laying in the forest? Not to mention that the bear tries them all on. I guess I'm too much of an adult to see the appeal of trying on a bunch of underwear found in a bag. A bit strange.
Brenda Pritchard
toddler-->preschool story time; print motivation, narrative skills, phonological awareness;
This book is about a bear who must find the right pair of underwear. Other pairs are too big, too small, too colorful, until he find the right pair.
Silly story about underwear and children will laugh. The cover includes cloth feel to the underwear offering sensory aspect of the book.
Jenna Arntz
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book did not have much of a point to it. It was mainly just humorous because the bear was trying on all different kinds of silly underwear. I do not think there was any kind of underlying lesson or moral to the story. However, kids would most likely enjoy this book due to the silly illustrations.
Tricia
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 11-04-apr
Cute pictures though I'm not exactly sure what the point of animals wearing underwear is. In fact, I've had to remove a star in case children reading this think it's okay to start trying on strange undergarments they find in a mysterious backpack.

I love the characterization of the bear's friends and my favourite picture is Big Foot hiding behind a tree.
Bri
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth, librarybooks
I was checking this in at the 'brary and had to read it. It was a fun little read and amusing enough, but the plot was weak...even for a children's book.

Still, it gets points for having a backpack that explodes with colorful underwear.
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is so much fun and silly, it also helps to explain why daddy walks around the house in his underwear it's cause he is a bear. (This book is an inside joke in our house!) Amazon also sells a stuffed bear in underwear.
Bekka
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a very silly book! It doesn't really have much of a story, but kids will laugh at the underwear. I did appreciate the illustrations, and also that BigFoot is a character in the cast of forest creatures. Fun for kids - parents will roll their eyes.
Michelle
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, ei
I like Aliens Love Underpants better, but this one is fun for little kids, so I gave it a 3.
Mrs Bond
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Cute, silly story. Not a whole lot of substance, not a good fit for the school library. Underpants as a topic I can deal with, but little underpants attached to the cover is just inviting insanity. My 6 yo son, who claims he doesn't like to read, loved this book.
Angie
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Kind of a ... dare I say it ... dumb idea for a story.

That said I do like the illustrator's style.

And as I'm flipping through I just kept seeing a group of kinder or first graders LOVING this book. Of me having to get them back down to a "voice level one" because of all the giggling.
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • My Farm Friends
  • Hopper and Wilson
  • Vampire Boy's Good Night
  • Duck Goes Potty
  • I'm Not Santa!
  • Sheep Trick or Treat
  • Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Pouch!
  • Solomon Crocodile
  • Polar Bear's Underwear
  • I Love My Daddy Because...
  • Big Rabbit's Bad Mood