Start by marking “Abode of Life” as Want to Read:
Abode of Life

Abode of Life (Star Trek: The Original Series #6)

ON THE PLANET MERCAN THERE ARE NO STARS, NO MOON, NO OUTER SPACE...

The citizens of Mercan cannot conceive of worlds beyond their own. Their sun, Mercaniad, is prone to deadly, radioactive flare-ups, and the Mercans have organized their life around the need to survive The Ordeal -- until a strange visitor appears from out of nowhere...

The Enterprise, badly crippled and in d

Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published February 5th 1986 by Pocket Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Abode of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abode of Life

Mike McDevitt
Jan 29, 2012 Mike McDevitt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It had to happen. I've read too many of these. That... or it really is deadly, deadly bland.

Lost in a void is a bad opening heading tediously to a dull end. Planet of gun-toting, totally isolated jerks think they're the 'center of the universe' Americans... sorry MERCANS. They must face the truth when Enterprise shows up. Spock fires torpedos into their sun to stabilize it's periodically deadly rays, with a 1 in 5 chance of causing a nova. REALLY? 20% chance of killing a planet and that's what y
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abode of Life takes place during the original 5-year mission. Something a good thriller can do is make the user actually feel tense when they are reading the story. Abode of Life did this for me for the first half of the book. I could actually feel it in my chest as I was gobbling up the story and couldn't see a way out of the situation that Kirk and the landing crew found themselves in. To me, any book that can do that is definitely worth reading.

Lee Correy does a bang-up job of nailing the ch
Chantel
Apr 01, 2013 Chantel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently I read this a long time ago but I don't remember it. I actually really liked this one. This book was more focused on the Prime Directive and first contact situations, which I would think is very boring, but it wasn't. I think it was very well written. It kept me reading till the last page. Even though nothing SUPER huge and exciting happened, it was still a tense book and I think it takes talent to make something as diplomatic as first contact something interesting to read. Anyway, th ...more
S. J.
Feb 16, 2012 S. J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, sci-fan lovers
*3.5 Stars*

*The Gush*
While not as stunning as the previous novel, this was quite a satisfactory Star Trek novel. On a 'routine' scientific mission, the Enterprise is sent flying outside one of the arms of the Milky Way galaxy. Severely damaged, the ship happens upon a single star and one planet alone in the black. On beaming down, they find a society that revolves around a dangerously unstable star, strange legends about the 'Ribbon of Night' and a belief that their planet is the only Abode of L
Mike Crate
Mar 17, 2016 Mike Crate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
The Enterprise is charting gravitational anomalies on the outer edge of the Orion arm of the galaxy when they run smack bang into one, the ship is flung into the void and is badly damaged. Limping towards home the detect a rogue star with a habitable world which shows intense levels of energy usage as if transporter systems were running continuously. A landing party beam down and discover a world of high technology but operating a society based upon the code duello and the three main political/s ...more
Kim
Mar 01, 2012 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story wasnt half bad; while on a scientific scouting mission the Enterprise is flung hundreds of light years away from their course by a gravitational anomaly. Unable to use warp drive, the only chance of repair/survival is to beam down to an isolated planet with potentialy rational, intelligent beings for help but doing so may violate the Prime Directive.

While reading I was a little peeved with the overuse of "insofar" and "wanted to know". There was some repetition and the pace didn't pic
Michael
Jul 06, 2011 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've tried to finish this book twice and just can't get through it. Everyone is "snapping" at each other all the time... That is not the Enterprise crew.

And I can't believe that a planet that has been caught off from the rest of the galaxy with no stars or anything could produce energy enough to constantly use transporters. Also there is the fact that they apparently have genetic engineering and so are not freaked out when the landing party arrives. They just think they are some new creation of
Angela
Set during the series, not after the motion picture like the cover suggests. The Enterprise are on an exploratory mission when they get propelled into the middle of nowhere. They find a planet that is beset by an unstable sun. The inhabitants though technologically advanced, do not believe in other lifeforms. The politics and the belief systems of this planet are very interesting. I particularly liked their culture. The regulars are portrayed very well. It just seems at times a tad predictable. ...more
Craig
Nov 13, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this for an original series novel. I haven't seen enough of the tv show to judge how well the characterization went, but as a story it had an interesting plot. The crew travel to a region of space new to them and have of course ship trouble lol. They go down to a planet in hope of fixing their ship only to end up meeting a close off society that happens to be in the middle of some political changes. The crew ends up having to disobey the prime directive, but oh well I mean it's Kirk ri ...more
Sharon
Apr 29, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my bathroom book which is why it too so long to get through. I liked that the Enterprise found it's way into the middle of the galaxy where there are no stars, but discovered one with a populated class M planet. They need help repairing their warp drive, but have to first work with the three separate factions that are having trouble getting along, encouraging them to work together. This they do without compromising the Prime Directive. I'd like to read more by Lee Correy.
Lee
Apr 19, 2011 Lee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, hated-it
Awful book. I couldn't even get past chapter 6. The characters bore no resemblance at all to Star Trek characters. It's like the author stuck them randomly into a story already written. I just can't go on right now.

[Edit]
I can't leave these things alone. I just can't stand to NOT finish a book once I've started. Even if it's painful. Even if I can only do it 2 or 3 pages at a time.

This story never improved even at the finish. UGH Steer clear.
James Spears
I struggled with the middle of this book. It was a feeble attempt to me to be like the old tv show and not an original novel. I liked the ending. If you need to read to be faithful to being a true star trek fan then this book is for you otherwise I would not use to introduce a new person to the world of Star Trek.
John
Not great, but a good basic TOS book. Some of the dialog between Spock and McCoy was quite faithful to the characters. At times the Kirk character didn't seem dead-on accurate though, perhaps indicative of how old this book actually is. Not a couldn't-put-it-down-page-turner, but not a bad read either.
Cary Spratt
Mar 11, 2013 Cary Spratt rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, star-trek
Reasonably well-written, although the author does overuse the word 'snapped' in lieu of said/replied/ordered/etc. Unremarkable story. It wasn't terrible -- I didn't feel I'd completely wasted my time reading it -- but there's nothing about it that urges me to recommend it as worth reading, either.
Jerry
Jul 28, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one.
Mike Grady
Jun 13, 2012 Mike Grady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010s
Surprisingly engaging. A quick, fun read.
Kreg
Apr 15, 2008 Kreg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tos
No major space battles, just a very fine example of what can go wrong - and right in a first contact!
Travis
Jan 24, 2010 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Interesting setting and story ideas, and I like that it's set between the first and second movies, but it all adds up to only a 'so-so' story.
Nicolas
Apr 27, 2016 Nicolas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Overall a pretty solid Trek tale. I thought the situation they wound up in was unique and the characters were handled correctly. The resolution seemed a little tidy, but not a deal breaker.
John
May 09, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
1985 grade B-

Classic Trek
Josie
May 01, 2013 Josie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much any book with Kirk I review will be bias...what can I say he's a hottie. That said I liked this book. It had some good humor in it. The story was 'meh'. Could have used more action.
colleen
read 03.17.85
read 05.15.85
Michael T Bradley
A fun central idea, but not interesting enough to hold my attention for very long. I like that the language barrier played a central role (kind of a precursor for "The Sparrow," in some ways).
Christine
I got very bored with this book.
Rindis
Rindis rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2007
Andie Turner
Andie Turner rated it really liked it
May 05, 2013
Eric Evans
Eric Evans rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Eilidh Montgomery
Eilidh Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
  • Demons
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Chain of Attack
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Ghost-Walker
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • The Wounded Sky
Pseudonym for G. Harry Stine.
More about Lee Correy...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)