Start by marking “The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson, #14)

The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson #14)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  343 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Published April 1st 2010 by Little, Brown UK (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Flesh Tailor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flesh Tailor

Hermien
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A very enjoyable crime mystery, a cross between Midsomer Murders and Lewis. The setting in Devon where I have just been added to the enjoyment.
Roshni
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although Kate Ellis' books can be dark, the interweaving of multiple historical threads with the present that she somehow ties together at the end makes this series unique and an entertaining read
Cathy Cole
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Line: November. The month of the dead. The month of remembrance and funerals.

Once again Kate Ellis has written a wonderful blend of new and ancient mysteries occurring in the south of England. Dr. James Dalcott is found shot dead in his cottage, and when Detective Inspector Wesley Peterson begins piecing together the facts of the victim's life, he finds the well-liked doctor had been hiding some very strange family secrets.

While Peterson is working on the Dalcott murder, archaeologist Ne
Shauna
This is the fourteenth in the Wesley Peterson series and it felt very formulaic and pedestrian. Some of the clues in the story were obvious to me but it took another 50 pages for the detectives to catch up. The author has hit a winning formula and although each story is different the model is the same each time and my interest in the characters is waning. In the early books we had Wesley interacting with his family and his colleagues but this book had little of that.
Jan
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO many twists--some telegraphed. Having the historical elements, the horrors of the Blitz and the 1600s' developing scientific explorations, combine to shadow and shape the present-day murder mystery was superb. Humans are SO wily and SO interesting.
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kate Ellis' Wesley Peterson series is a fascinating blend of historical mystery and modern. In this case a doctor shot just as he was going out to dinner. Meanwhile Wesley's archaeologist friend from university has been called in to look at some bones unearthed by a couple having a power cable laid on their recently purchased farm. The story takes place in three time periods: that of the early bones (late 16th cent.), that of the new bones (1940ish) and that of the doctor (1950 & present).It ...more
Susan
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
When a well-liked Devonshire physician is killed, the police think they can just find the one or two people who didn't care for him, and easily identify the murderer. But that's before they learn that he's been researching his genealogy, and come up with a strange death. And it's before a trench dug for electrical cable reveals skeletons from the distant past, and one from much more recently. As Wes Peterson investigates the doctor, his friend, archaeologist Neil, looks into the skeletons, and a ...more
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun, quick read. I like the historical mysteries which run alongside the modern murder (there's an element of archivist's fantasy about these books - imagine actually being able to solve ancient puzzles and know who everyone was! It is often not that straightforward in reality, but it could be!if only more clergymen had actually written a bit more in the parish registers ...) There are three different stories here, and they interconnect - the Elizabethan mystery (involving skeletons dug up aroun ...more
Ruth lavin
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, seeing as the best way to describe this book is as something somewhere between Morse and Ruth Rendells inspector Wexford, I had not expected to enjoy it quite so much!
It was well written, with strong characters, a beginning...middle ... And not disappointing end.
It does exactly what it says on the tin!
A Good honest British book, would be well suited as an Autumnal dramatisation.
If you have some spare reading time on drizzly nights - give it a go :)
Jan
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Continuation of D.I. Wesley Peterson's life as an English Detective in the Devon countryside.

Mysteries going back to WWII, English children being evacuated during the blitz, a young boys body is found in a field, who was he, who killed him, yet another mystery for Wesley! Neil pays a visit, Wesley's sister and hubby play a part in this mystery, and alas, we find out Steve has died, and a new player comes into the police department. Who killed the doctor, and why?

As always a good plot.
Sherry Mackay
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was so-so. You never get a feel for the main characters. The main detective is very wishy-washy. I had no idea he was meant to be a black person and when they did bring it up suddenly they kept on and on repeating the fact that he was black. Yep the whole thing was just very wishy-washy.
Mel
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
This Wesley Peterson mystery should have been more interesting than it was. Ancient bones, a World War II murder and a current day murder should have flowed together with Ms. Ellis's usual deft touch but instead it fell flat. We didn't see enough of Neil and the rest of the characters just seemed to be going through the motions. Quite disappointing really.
Hazem Ashraf
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a great novel .the last chapters make you save your breath. when you think that you knew the victim and about to know the villain, all these assumptions were destroyed. I think Charlie is a victim before being a villain. the novel gathered all threads of past and present together, that's really amazing.you should read this novel :)
Vivienne
Although enjoyable this instalment of the series didn't grab my attention as much as the last few in the series. Not certain why this should be, maybe the plot a little too complex or felt Wesley and Co weren't quite on form.
Jennifer Mitchell
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy British mysteries, the Wesley Peterson series by Kate Ellis is a good one. Nice, quick reads. You might want to start with the first in the series, The Merchant's House, though. There are ongoing plot lines with the regular characters.
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime-thriller/mystery fans
Shelves: crime-thriller
Immersive and easy to read style, plenty of intriguing twists and turns.
Good enough for me to seek out more by this author.
Sue Thomas
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
First Kate Ellis book I've read Really enjoyed it so I'll have to read some more of her earlier ones Well written Interesting and kept me hooked
Donna Irwin
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Havent read a Wesley Peterson for a while, felt like meeting up with an old friend. Really enjoyed it.
Kari Cooper
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
First time I've read this author and really enjoyed it - strong characters and an interesting plot line. Will read more
Hitomi Ferguson
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liked this book quite a bit as i'm into archaeology. Hard to put down, so a quick read.
JenniferB
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Story covers a lot of different issues, overall good, flags a bit in parts, again in the Wesley Peterson series.
Renée Mee
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story telling with lots twists and turns
Mary
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-fiction-read
I have read this before, just can't remember when. It was a good thriller!
Les Wilson
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A recommended read. I enjoyed from start to finish.
Maria
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new, paperback
Yet another good book by this author. I love the way she writes her stories. I really enjoy this read.
Red
Feb 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cold Earth
  • Tangled Web
  • Death Watch (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #2)
  • A Pound of Flesh
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)
  • 1 Zany Zoo
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • Broken Music
  • The Innocent
  • Claws
  • Devil's Chimney
  • The Essene Conspiracy
  • Saints of New York
  • Sezione Suicidi
  • The Spanish Helmet
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • Chasing Innocence
  • Rotten Apple: Seven Sins, One Deadly City
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more
More about Kate Ellis...

Wesley Peterson (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2)
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)
  • The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5)
  • A Painted Doom (Wesley Peterson, #6)
  • The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson, #7)
  • The Plague Maiden (Wesley Peterson, #8)
  • A Cursed Inheritance (Wesley Peterson, #9)
  • The Marriage Hearse (Wesley Peterson, #10)