Start by marking “Peter Pan and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
Peter Pan and Other Plays

Peter Pan and Other Plays

For some 20 years at the beginning of the century J M Barrie enjoyed enormous commercial success with a wide variety of plays, but he is best known for Peter Pan. It retains its popularity today, both in the original and in adaptations. Barrie returned to the Peter Pan story a few years later with When Wendy Grew Up when the two are reunited later in Wendy's life.

As
Paperback, Oxford World's Classics, 384 pages
Published July 15th 1999 by Oxford University Press (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Peter Pan and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter Pan and Other Plays

Peter Pan by J.M. BarriePeter and the Starcatchers by Dave BarryTiger Lily by Jodi Lynn AndersonPeter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave BarryPeter and the Secret of Rundoon by Dave Barry
Peter Pan
142 books — 204 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Before It Was A Movie
291 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
The Admirable Crichton

What if Lord of the Flies happened, except everyone is adult and civilised? Of course, this was written decades before William Golding's only good book and Barrie's aims were more by way of social satire via comedy of manners than getting in-yer-face with the underlying brutal savagery of human nature, papered over by civilisation. Which in turn was JG Ballard's favourite theme, though he probably never quite succeeded so spectacularly.

But back to Barrie: You c
Kate
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I read Peter Pan and When Wendy Grew Up to write the latest essay for my Children's Literature course. I am so glad I did. Having watched various versions of this over the years either in pantomime or on the screen (most memorably, the Disney animated feature, Hook and, on a related note, Finding Neverland), I still had never really paid much attention to the story and what it really meant.

This is one of the reasons I am particularly enjoying this last module of my Literature degree.
John Jr.
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama-british
Pity the good playwright working at the time of one of the greats: to future generations, your work may be lost in the glare. To some extent, that's been the fate of Ben Jonson and Christopher Marlowe—overshadowed by Shakespeare, although their period is so rich that they and many others get produced sometimes. Similarly, a handful of those fated to write during Shaw's long career would probably shine more brightly away from his light, among them John Galsworthy, Harley Granville-Barker, and J. ...more
Rebecca
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Apparently, the magic flying fairy dust was added only after the London Ambulance Service complained about dealing with copycat injuries.

*jumps off bed defiantly*

*dials 999*
Kelly
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I only read Peter Pan and the extra scene that was performed for its final performance. Barrie apparently continually changed his plays, so it's hard to have an authoritative edition. There's also a novelization of the play, but I don't know. The play is pretty perfect on its own. Adults being children, children pretending to be adults - but also never wanting to grown up. It's a mixed-up world but so incredibly beautiful. I highly recommend this particular edition, as it has excellent footnotes ...more
Mandy
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Peter Pan is more complex and interesting than I thought, and it was a delight to find that Barrie had written 'The Admirable Crichton' which I didn't realise was a play.
Amateur-Reader
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of plays by J.M.Barrie introduces us to his variable writings of staging in theatres. From Peter Pan and its sneak peek When Wendy Grew up: An Afterthought, The Admirable Crichton, What every Woman Knows, and Mary Rose. The plays are formed as friendly guides to the overall experience of theatricality for professonals and amateurs or in another case for critics and theatregoers, and readers and each play involves a mystery in deciding a clear cut definition of its genre.
Lukerik
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
This book has been entered into some databases under the titles of the plays rather than the title of the book. If you are looking for it try searching under “The Admirable Crichton”.

Peter Pan is an amazing read. Act 1 is a masterpiece that can happily hold its head up in any company. What surprised me is that Peter Pan is dead. You'll notice that he is dressed in autumn leaves and cobwebs. So when he leaves his shadow behind, the shadow of death is in the nursery. When Wendy tries t
Natalie
I only read Peter Pan for university but I really liked it. Quick-paced, funny and somewhat tragic. The first play I've read and enjoyed (yes, this is a slight jab at Cursed Child and Othello, both of which I hated)

Also, a shutout to the insult 'cowardly custard' which I'm going to use because lol.
Tim Rideout
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading confined to ‘Peter Pan’, for OU Children’s Literature module.
Senior E
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A play meant to be read more than watched. It's ok, but i probably wont revisit it.
Karina
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was watching Finding Neverland that inspired me to read the original play Peter Pan. If you've never bothered to read it, or have only read the novel, I highly recommend it. The stage directions and notes are the best parts, and make for a highly entertaining read. Between the lines and underneath all the silliness, there is a great deal of wit and insight.

(I also read What Every Woman Knows, and felt a bit disappointed at the lack of depth and sensitivity in comparison to Peter Pan.
Siena
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, review
I'm in the middle of writing an essay about this and I'm really starting to realize just how well-written and structured this book is! Like I've always liked it, but HONEY. The Disney version does not do this absolutely hilarious and honestly pretty dark book justice. Although upon research I'm starting to think J. M. Barrie might not have been the g r e a t e s t person, this play really is that good. Bumped up from 4 to 5 stars!
Lily
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
I bought this book because I wanted to read the Peter Pan story. I didn't realize that Peter Pan was originally a play. I thought that the play was an adaption of what had been original prose. All and all it was an alright book but I am not too fond of reading plays.

The characters, especially Tinker Bell are nothing like the Disney version of the story. Personally, I think the Disney version is better.
Michael Disher
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any theatre lover
If losing your youth and innocence was painful, J.M. Barrie lovingly and touchingly eases the pain and lessens the redness of the scars. This inevitability is handled with such grace and, yes, forgiveness. We never remember the moment we grew up and never forget the moments when we hadn't.

Best in his collection are Mary Rose (Hitchcock's fave), A Well-Remembered Voice, What Every Woman Knows and Dear Brutus.
Cait
Decided to read the whole book and I'm glad I did - really enjoyed it.

Liked 'The Admirable Crichton' best of all - kind of reminded me of Downton Abbey.

'Mary Rose' was a bit creepy and more serious than the others.

Lots of funny bits, could imagine it playing out on stage.

Very prosey, bits of the stage directions read like an actual story text.
Tracy Morton
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
The play "Peter Pan" tells a great story and has interesting characters. A great amount of fun can be had with a crocodile roaming about and pirates having sword fights etc. The only problem is that this play is considered to be geared towards children and it long (about 3 hours). Children enjoy the high action parts but it is a long haul to see the whole, uncut play.
Ashley
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I only read "Peter Pan" and "When Wendy Grew Up" and...holy crap, the stage direction. The STAGE DIRECTION! How did the theatre people work with these scripts? How did the actors? These read like they should have been straight-up novels, not plays. I mean, the stage directions read like bits taken from a novel. Those poor production designers.
Pam Griffin
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had to read this for my Open University course, but I really enjoyed it. It's a great story, and there are bits in the book that aren't in any of the film or panto versions I've watched, which makes it something new and interesting even after watching so many other versions.
Nikki
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, fantasy, own-it
I've only read Peter Pan, not the other plays, but I loved it. Some of the lines are so moving, like when Wendy asks, "Boy, why are you crying?" I was surprised how touching some of the moments like that were when read with the stage directions.
Ella
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The book and the play are not much different other than the book has more detail. J.M. Barrie seemed to rely very heavenly on his actors to portray story lines and themes that are not supported by the dialog. He has also weaved a play that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike.
Emily Grace
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm not a big fan of reading plays - after all, that's not their intended purpose, but Barrie uses a completely different style to any other playwrite I've come across, making this more accessible than most.
Kathryn
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finally got to read the original play version of Peter Pan and I enjoyed it very much! I would love to see a production of this play instead of the musical sometime.
Katie
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would LOVE to see any of these plays performed. J.M. Barrie did not disappoint.
Justin Abraham
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ma, queer
Extremely enjoyable with sexuality on the brain.
J.M. Barrie is quite the wit.
Krisette Spangler
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
These were such delightful plays. I was surprised they aren't in wider circulation.
Isaac Lambert
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mary Rose- read ~2013. A fun ghost story.

What Every Women Knows- finished 12/21/14. A comedy of a woman (behind a clueless man)
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it
I didn't read all of these plays and I'm not certain that this is the edition, but the play I read was What Every Woman Knows. It was quite a clever story.
Calie
Feb 18, 2008 added it
All that Tinker Bell really says is "You silly ass" - I love it!
Kristina
Feb 18, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Pan: 04.05.15

• The School for Scandal and Other Plays
  • Plays: One
  • Democracy
  • Four Plays: Come Back, Little Sheba / Picnic / Bus Stop / The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
  • The Collected Plays, Vol. 1
  • Plays 5: Arcadia / The Real Thing / Night and Day / Indian Ink / Hapgood
  • The Complete Plays
  • A Flea in Her Ear
  • Talk Radio (TCG Edition)
  • Boston Marriage
  • The Habit of Art
  • The Royal Hunt Of The Sun
  • The Madwoman of Chaillot
  • Best European Fiction 2011
Sir James Matthew Barrie, 1st Baronet, OM was a Scottish author and dramatist, best remembered today as the creator of Peter Pan.

The son of a weaver, Barrie studied at the University of Edinburgh. He took up journalism, worked for a Nottingham newspaper, and contributed to various London journals before moving to London in 1885. His early works, Auld Licht Idylls (1889) and A Window in Thrums (1889), con
“They have long lost count of the days, but always if they want to do anything special they say this is saturday night, and then they do it. ” 23 likes
“Twin, I think you should not have dreamt that, for I didn't, and Peter may say we oughtn't to dream differently, being twins, you know.” 5 likes