Start by marking “Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't” as Want to Read:
Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  80,556 Ratings  ·  2,865 Reviews
The Challenge
Built to Last, the defining management study of the nineties, showed how great companies triumph over time and how long-term sustained performance can be engineered into the DNA of an enterprise from the verybeginning.

But what about the company that is not born with great DNA? How can good companies, mediocre companies, even bad companies achieve enduring grea
Published October 16th 2001 by HarperBusiness (first published January 1st 2001)

Riku Sayuj
Mar 26, 2014 Riku Sayuj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nishant Singh
Recommended to Riku by: Prof. Neerja Pande
Shelves: mba-stuff, r-r-rs
First and foremost, Good to Great has no breakthrough concepts to offer. Collins is good at inventive metaphors and catch phrases to push concepts through but ultimately there is really nothing counter-intuitive or revolutionary about the results of this study.

That said, the concepts in the book might still be valuable for managers, CEOs and other professionals. Here is a brief summary of the book and a short tour on how to take your company from Good to Great:

Think of this as a time-line to be
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 Jamie rated it did not like it
This book by Jim Collins is one of the most successful books to be found in the "Business" section of your local megabookstore, and given how it purports to tell you how to take a merely good company and make it great, it's not difficult to see why that might be so. Collins and his crack team of researchers say they swam through stacks of business literature in search of info on how to pull this feat off, and came up with a list of great companies that illustrate some concepts central to the puz ...more
Chad Kettner
Feb 13, 2013 Chad Kettner rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Here are Jim Collins' seven characteristics of companies that went "from good to great"

1. Level 5 Leadership: Leaders who are humble, but driven to do what's best for the company.

2. First Who, Then What: Get the right people on the bus, then figure out where to go. Finding the right people and trying them out in different positions.

3. Confront the Brutal Facts: The Stockdale paradox - Confront the brutal truth of the situation, yet at the same time, never give up hope.

4. Hedgehog Concept: Three
Allen
Dec 21, 2011 Allen rated it really liked it
Just (12/21/2011) re-read the book and love the concepts. But I knocked a star off of my rating since during this re-read I felt like the author puffed up the findings and, indirectly, himself. Sure, good-to-great principles seem to be true, insightful, and necessary for a transformation. I even found that re-reading this book helped me to realize I was being quite undisciplined in my use of time (trying to create momentum by doing, doing, doing instead of "unplugging extraneous junk.") But I do ...more
Sandy
Jan 27, 2010 Sandy rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I hope I don't get fired for not thinking this was the greatest book ever. Honestly, business books are not exactly my cup of tea. This book started off really interesting. The author talks about habits that great companies use to keep their companies run smoothly. Many of the suggestions the author gives seem very logical -- don't have negative people work for your company, don't try to put your hand in every pot, don't stop doing things that work well and do stop doing things that aren't worki ...more
Chad Warner
Jun 07, 2009 Chad Warner rated it did not like it
Recommended to Chad by: Jeff Disher
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I was hoping this book would give me some guidelines to remember when I start my own business. There were a few good points, but nothing compelling. Reading this book wasn't a very good use of my time.

Tips from the book:

First Who, then What
First, get the right people on the bus (and the wrong people off it), then figure out where to drive. Having the right people in the company is more important than deciding what the company will do, because the right people will help make that decision anyway.
Steve
Aug 04, 2009 Steve rated it liked it
I have no idea how much Jim Collins knows about business / management, but it is clear he’s mastered the art of writing a popular business / management book. The way I see it, the steps involved are:

* State up front what the themes are, but disguise at least a few of them with cryptic labels that portend greater meaning to those who venture further. Who wouldn’t read on when enticed by the promise of the lowly hedgehog’s secret for success or how Admiral Stockdale’s paradoxical key to survival a
Deli
Aug 25, 2007 Deli rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone without common sense
OK, so I'm making my way through this book... painfully, slowly, pyromaniacly.... and, I do have to say it is FANTASTIC if you find yourself surrounded by people without common sense. Of course, I don't have a business degree... oh, wait, I'm not supposed to have common sense.

Anyways, now that I've trailed off into ADD tangents, my boss gave me this book to read and I do like the principles. I have one thing to say: way better than the teaching books I used to have to read. GEESH!
Angela
Nov 20, 2014 Angela rated it did not like it
A five year research study dedicated to analyzing the results of its own sampling bias without realizing it and puffed up with so much unnecessary fluff that the essence of the book could have been distilled on the front cover in a few bullet points under the title and it would have probably still been considered a waste of time to read.
Giuliana
Apr 24, 2008 Giuliana rated it liked it
Recommended to Giuliana by: Alec
Shelves: reviews
Dan W
May 03, 2012 Dan W rated it it was ok
There is a valuable lesson in this book:

- Books are printed to make someone else money.

With this singular lesson in mind you can now unlock the secrets of all business and marketing books: the lesson isn't printed on the page, it's between the lines. This book sought, as all 'business' books do, to titillate you with facts, get you revved about the possibilities in your life to acquire great and fabulous riches through the magic of 'excellence' and set you loose into the world with your hair on
Kressel Housman
Good is the enemy of the great. That is the first sentence and thesis of this book. In other words, if you're performing adequately, your motivation to improve yourself can easily be stifled. After all, you're getting by. Why put in all that discipline to go from good to great? But if you want to go from good to great, this book promises you the secrets of doing it.

I guess I'm destined to be merely good because I'm returning this book to the library unfinished. I thought the advice was worth app
Len Vlahos
Apr 15, 2012 Len Vlahos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally got around to reading Good to Great. It more or less lived up to the hype as being both inspirational and instructional. I just have three quick comments:

1. Like many business books, this would be better as a long magazine article instead of a book. The author, while deft, belabors point after point. While it was less true here than in some other business books, it's still longer than it needs to be.

2. A few of the ideas put forth -- e.g., the hedgehog concept, the three circles -- ar
Kathleen Tallent
Feb 21, 2009 Kathleen Tallent rated it really liked it
I read this in a leadership class and it was very appropriate. I will never be the CEO of a major company, but I will help run a household, participate in a church family, help lead a therapy team, and will have many more opportunities to lead. This book gave a lot of insight into why companies are able to climb in growth and industry, but that same insight can be applied in most of life circumstances where people are grouped together. I recommended this book to multiple people working in large ...more
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Sep 10, 2015 Nguyên ngộ ngộ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, thinker
Những con số biết nói khá thú vị
6000 bài báo
2000 trang phỏng vấn
15.000 giờ làm việc
21 nhà nghiên cứu làm việc suốt 5 năm
1435 công ty được chọn từ danh sách Fortune 500
28 công ty được chắt lọc.
11 công ty nhảy vọt
11 công ty cạnh tranh trực tiếp
6 công ty ngắn ngày

Cuối cùng là, ra đời 1 cuốn sách: TỪ TỐT ĐẾN VĨ ĐẠI.

Quyển sách đã gút chốt được 6 yếu tố chung nhất của một công ty từ tốt đến vĩ đại
(1) Nhà lãnh đạo cấp độ 5
Tính cách đặc trưng kiểu dạng như thầy Giảng Tư Trung, Bác Hồ. Với phong thái đi
Bonnie
Aug 01, 2007 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Worth reading, because all your colleagues have read it or paid someone to give them the jist of it. :)

If you read this, don't bother with "Built to Last" since much of the content is the reiterated. Ok, so Built to Last is about companies that have lasted over many eras and are still going strong. That's nice - I still feel like that's luck and adaptability, but sometimes, pure diversifation that saved some companies from themselves over the years.

As for Good to Great, it's a bit more of a kic
Ms. Rose
Jul 23, 2015 Ms. Rose rated it really liked it
I love that this book is steeped in some serious longitudinal and painstaking research and essentially was written by a team that debated and pushed ideas much further than a single person could have. The book is so accessible, I think, directly as a result of this dynamic. All of the examples are phenomenal and it just makes so much sense. I would have liked it even more had their been more mention of the social/nonprofit sector. For though many ideas apply easily across fields, some ideas were ...more
Tanja Berg
Oct 12, 2014 Tanja Berg rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This book was collecting dust on my shelf for at least a year before I finally got around to it. I thought it would be a hopelessly overwhelming book to read. I could not have been more wrong. This is a very clear, concise and easily understood book. The author and his team spent years understanding why some companies beat the market and others did not. This was done after first having carefully made a selection and the conducted indepth interviews. Then they drew the conclusions into lucid and ...more
Kristina
Jun 12, 2007 Kristina rated it it was ok
If you are looking for sweeping generalizations and a unifying theory of everything, well hey, this offer has all of that and a bridge in Brooklyn that he wants to offer you.

Although this book does have some interesting information, it is also full of relationships that are declared by the author as causal, but may indeed just be coincidental or correlative.
Keith
Mar 18, 2012 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Finally read Good to Great, by Jim Collins (yes, I know that I'm a bit behind in my reading, but just never seemed to get around to this one). I thought it was good (not great) in that it didn't really tell me anything that wasn't pretty obvious. Furthermore, there is a lot of peril in identifying "great" companies that then go on to stumble (Circuit City, Fannie Mae, Pitney Bowes). I know that Collins would say that these companies stopped following those things that made them great, but that b ...more
Jay
Sep 26, 2012 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
There are many great reviews of this book that summarize its message in a few sentences, and that's one of the strengths of the book -- its messages are few, have memorable names for the concepts, and make sense. But in general, they can be boiled down to platitudes, and they mostly make common sense. Worrying is that rigor is applied to determine the causes of becoming great, yet causality isn't proved but implied. This reminds me of another book I read in business school that did the same kind ...more
Mike
Ugh. Nothing says Boring Stories than studying the "top companies" as measured by their stock-market performance in the late 20th century. Excuse me while I stab myself with a sharpened corporate annual report.
David
Feb 07, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership, business
This book studied a series of companies that made the leap from good to great, comparing them with similar companies that did not make the leap. The researchers found reasons, beginning with what they call Level-5 leadership, for why these companies became great. Though written about businesses, the principles in this book can easily be applied to any sort of leadership.

That said, about halfway through I moved into skimming because the main points are highlighted and much of the surrounding book
Charles
Jan 18, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
I was reluctant to buy in to a management/business book because mostly, I think they're just cash cows for publishers. But this book was different, smart in a way I didn't expect. I felt like I actually gained valuable insight into not only the organizations profiled in the book, but also into my own.

Collins matches an easy, flowing style with raw data and visuals that further clarify his points. Although I think some of his classifications of concepts are gimmicky (The Hedgehog Concept, the Doo
April Kyle Nassi
Feb 04, 2011 April Kyle Nassi rated it did not like it
Shelves: schipulite
Rather than try and brave the icy closed freeways this morning, I decided to snuggle in with this book and mark it off the reading list. It's probably a good thing that I picked it for today, because in any other weather situation short of a hurricane, I would run far away from it.

It's not often that I don't like a book, but oh man. This one. While I certainly agree with many of Collin's conclusions, it's a terrible presentation. The writing is just a chore to get though, like sitting in the mos
Scribble Orca
Oct 15, 2010 Scribble Orca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Contrary to some of the negative reviews, I found Collin's methodology to be pretty consistent. He lines up a bunch of stock-market data over the long term (the quantitative), and then tries to find explanations for why some companies just keep getting better (the qualitative). He also tests which companies don't fit the hypothesis even though quantitatively fit.

The odd thing is that if you look at stock market investment strategies, what this book actually recommends is a strategy that looks pr
Ahmet Kara
Feb 25, 2016 Ahmet Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, top100
I've always been fascinated with the analytics of reaching greatness in business, and this is why I've read this book the second time years later. Here's a couple of ideas that I liked from the book:

There's a strong emphasis to people. The book says: "The most important asset of the companies is not the people, but the RIGHT people". It sounds so true, isn't it :)

The so-called "hedgehog concept" is cool. The book says that greatness comes if and only if we operate where these three areas inters
Surya Winata
Jun 22, 2007 Surya Winata rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who want to have a company
buku ini buku yang ditulis berdasarkan riset bertahun-tahun yang serius, dan banyak sekali pemahaman yang sangat bertolak belakang sama pendapat umum yang sering kedengeran di dunia usaha, sbg contoh adalah pengidolaan orang dari luar untuk membuat perubahan yang radikal dalam suatu perusahaan, yang ternyata hanyalah sebuah pengaruh yang sangat kecil di perusahaan yang telah berhasil beranjak dari good to great..
salah satu yang paling menggema bagi gw setelah baca buku ini adalah tentang konsep
Shaw
Mar 11, 2015 Shaw rated it it was amazing
Good to Great hit it out of the park for me. His answer to the question, "why should we attempt to be great?" is worth the price of admission. I found myself making changes to my daily practice as I read through this book. There is a lot here.
Ponnusamy K
Jan 19, 2017 Ponnusamy K rated it really liked it
It took nearly 4 months to complete this book. I think I road this book like a snail.
CMLE Librarian Pr...: November Book - Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don't 2 4 Nov 02, 2016 09:17AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Publication Date 2 17 Oct 01, 2015 01:27AM
FULL Creative Lib...: Good to Great 1 4 Mar 05, 2014 02:29PM
Management 9 164 Jul 22, 2013 08:29PM
  • Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business (Collins Business Essentials)
  • Silos, Politics, and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors
  • True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership
  • Competing for the Future
  • It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • The Ultimate Question: Driving Good Profits and True Growth
  • Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion

Jim Collins is a student and teacher of enduring great companies — how they grow, how they attain superior performance, and how good companies can become great companies. Having invested over a decade of research into the topic, Jim has authored or co-authored four books, i
More about James C. Collins...

“When [what you are deeply passionate about, what you can be best in the world at and what drives your economic engine] come together, not only does your work move toward greatness, but so does your life. For, in the end, it is impossible to have a great life unless it is a meaningful life. And it is very difficult to have a meaningful life without meaningful work. Perhaps, then, you might gain that rare tranquility that comes from knowing that you’ve had a hand in creating something of intrinsic excellence that makes a contribution. Indeed, you might even gain that deepest of all satisfactions: knowing that your short time here on this earth has been well spent, and that it mattered.” 88 likes
“The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline.” 62 likes