Start by marking “Love Finds You in Calico, California” as Want to Read:
Love Finds You in Calico, California

Love Finds You in Calico, California

A young seamstress weaves her own story in a world run by men. After hearing news of a silver strike in Calico, California, Abigail Watts packs up her needles and thread and follows her beloved father out West. But when she's suddenly left alone in the rough mining town, Abigail finds herself pressed into a marriage of convenience with the local livery owner, Nathan Hawk. ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Summerside Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Finds You in Calico, California, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Finds You in Calico, California

Werner
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of clean romance and/or historical fiction set in the American West
Shelves: books-barb-owns
Despite the cover image of a young woman with a Colt on her hip, this novel, set in the mining country near California's Mohave Desert in 1883, doesn't feature the kind of motifs and gun-fighting action typically associated with the "Western" genre. I've classified it as historical fiction that happens to take place in the late 19th-century American West. (The image, though, is legitimately taken from the book; heroine Abigail does strap on her dad's holster for personal protection at one point, ...more
Staci
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is my first "Love Finds You" novel. I had the opportunity to meet Elizabeth Ludwig in person a few years ago and purchased this book.

The mystery about what happened about the mine kept me engaged in the novel. Main character Abigail lost her father in a mining accident and Calico resident and widower Nathan Hawk wants to help her move forward after her loss. He also helps her try to figure out what happened at the mine. It was a sweet tale.
Gretchen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Elizabeth Ludwig and I was very pleased by it.

This story was super cute and really easy to read. I loved the characters, especially Lizzie, she was so cute and full of spunk. The relationship between Nathan and Abigail was so cute and I loved to get to follow their story. I wish there was another book or another chapter just to see what they are doing now.
Chantel
This was a great book to finish out the year with. I just loved Abigail, Nathan, and especially Lizzie, she was just seven layers of adorable. This definitely wasn't some cutesy western love story. I was really surprised by the mystery and the suspense in it, this was definitely a page- turner. Thank you so much Shash for recommending it!
Cindi
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ever read a book that you didn't want to end? You wanted the story to go on just a little bit further so you could see how the characters would act in this new situation? Love Finds You in Calico, California is one of those books! This is Elizabeth Ludwig's first full-length novel, and she does a wonderful job. The characters are realistic, the story is captivating, and the message is clear.

Abigail Watts and her father are living in Calico, California. It's a mining town, full of rough and tumbl
Jerry
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been reading quite a bit of Christian historical romances lately, but they've all been great...including this one.
Hannah
This is my first foray into the "Love Finds You" series. I'd been afraid they'd be sappy romances, but I like Elizabeth Ludwig's writing and loved the cover, so decided to risk it. I was pleasantly surprised by this, especially the mystery that runs through it about what really happened in the mine the night Abigail's father died. And there were no untoward throbs and twitches and wild fantasies about "being with" someone...just two people who seem to find love pretty quickly while carrying on a ...more
Loraine
SUMMARY: A young seamstress weaves her own story in a world run by men. After hearing news of a silver strike in Calico, California, Abigail Watts packs up her needles and thread and follows her beloved father out West. But when she's suddenly left alone in the rough mining town, Abigail finds herself pressed into a marriage of convenience with the local livery owner, Nathan Hawk. Determined to uncover the mystery surrounding her father's death in the mines, Abigail agrees to stay in Calico. But ...more
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Title: LOVE FINDS YOU IN CALICO, CALIFORNIA
Author: Elizabeth Ludwig
Publisher: Summerside Press
October 2010
ISBN: 978-1-60936-001-6
Genre: Inspirational/historical romance

Abigail Watts is the only child of her mining father, and even though she’s scared of Calico, she stays with her father. She has nothing back East. When a mine explosion kills six miners and her father, Abigail is stunned. She is even more stunned when the owner of the mine refuses to give her the pay due, claiming her father caus
Casey
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
With a love story that was sweet and enduring and a suspense thread to keep the story moving, I was never bored while reading this book.

The characters in LOVE FINDS YOU IN CALICO CALIFORNIA stand on their own two feet and come pretty close to real for me. The chain of events that lead the characters through the story are in a domino effect and I was quickly swept into their lives and problems. When Abigail’s father dies in a mysterious mine accident, she cannot rest until the reason behind his d
Victoria
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
Abigail lives with her father in Calico, CA, which is booming with silver mining. At the livery across the street lives a widower Nathan and his daughter Lizzie.

When crazy things start happening at the mine, and when suspicions peek, there are fingers pointing towards Abigail's father being the fault of it. She and Nathan set out to find out the truth and get down to business. In the process there are emotions building up.

I don't think this story had a good build. It was pretty basic and didn't
Ru4repeat
Sep 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Uhh. I tried, I really did. I loved Elizabeth Ludwig's "No Safe Harbor" novel, so I figured this one would be just as amazing...I was so wrong.
It started dragging from 30% in, but I figured it really couldn't be THAT bad (oh, but it was) so I kept reading. After 60% and neither main character in love with the other... and Abigail constantly trying to be "stubbornly independent," I decided my sunk cost fallacy wasnt worth another minute.

You have to know, I hate to leave things unfinished, but I
Lena
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was absolutely amazing!I loved it soooooooooooo much!
Suelight
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love a good old fashioned western romance novel, this book is for you. I really enjoyed reading it myself. A sweet story of love in the 19th century during the hard times of the westward move. It follows the story of a young woman that moves out west with her father after her mother passes away. The father works for the local mine in Calico. I won't go any further with the story line, but there is an element of mystery in this novel. I highly recommend.
Abby
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!!
I absolutely loved this book!!!!!!<3
It's part mystery and part romance with some humor mixed in!

My favorite part is when Lizzie is talking to the aunt:
Aunt:"A child who pouts is not polite."
Lizzie:"Neither is a grown-up who stares."

LOVED this book!!!! Can't wait to read more!!
Shannon
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now one of my favorite books. I grew up visiting Calico. So this was a fun read.
Katie
Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it
With a dash of mystery, a pinch of suspense, and a mixture of adventure and romance, this book made for a nice, one-time read. It was the first “Love Finds You” book that I’ve picked up, so I was excited to see what these books were like. I am afraid to say that it wasn't the best experience...though it certainly wasn't the worst!

The death of Abigail’s father was sad. Even though you don’t get to know him much in the first few chapters of the book, he seemed like such a godly father to Abigail,
Michelle
More like 4.5 stars

This story was engaging from the first page. I'd wanted to read it sooner but got backed up with other commitments. Having said that, I really enjoyed the mining theme in this story. There are a lot of mining towns in Arizona and I've toured several mines, so I totally understand the terror one feels in the complete absence of light. I don't know how people could stand to work in mines all day without going crazy. That said, I found the love story tender and enthralling, and t
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
3.5

I remember visiting a ghost town when I was a little girl and couldn’t help but wonder what the people had been like that once lived there. There is something very charming about old ghost towns, I love them. When I learned that Calico was an actual ghost town I was drawn to the story. I think that’s why I liked this one so much, the people seemed real and I was easily able to picture the old western town of Calico (where I definitely plan to visit next time I’m in the area).

I’m quickly find
Miss Pippi the Librarian
After reading this story, the description/story teaser didn't fit very well. Abigail and her father are living in the mining town of Calico when disaster strikes at the mine. When her father goes to assist, her father's friend and neighbor, Nathan Hawk returns to break the news that Abigail is alone. He offers his assistance and Abigail is determined to find out how her father died and make a living. As a woman alone in a rough mining town, she doesn't make any headway and then is attacked in he ...more
⚜️Trea
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've been up and down with the Love Finds You books, but all of them at least are interesting to read. This one was not. I couldn't connect to any of the characters, and the mystery plot was lackluster at best, because it was very easy to figure out the real culprit. I'm struggling to find any one good thing to say about the book, and the only thing I can come up with is that it did teach me something about the region and the history surrounding it. I was so disappointed in it, I wound up deleti ...more
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This might be my favorite Love Finds You book that I've read thus far. I'm sure some of that was due to the fact that I remember passing by the Calico Ghost Town during a trip to the Mojave so I could picture the story better. I also liked the realism of having to marry for convenience. I really enjoyed the history lesson of the town at the beginning of the book. It made the ending bittersweet knowing they would need to close up and move in their future together and wondering how much sorrow and ...more
Melissa
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, chick-lit
I really enjoyed this book. I love learning about the places the love finds you books talk about, and I loved learning about ghost town, Calico, California, and I especially loved the story.

Let's face it, we know how the story is going to end...the joy is in the journey getting there. I really enjoyed the plot, the mystery of the who and why and the ending was nice.

Definitely worth the quick read.
Meg
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-nice
This was a decent book, nothing really wrong, I just couldn't get interested in it. I read merely to complete, 8 felt like I was just sludging through. I really did want to like it, I felt that the 'mystery' was interesting, an idea that I hadn't read before but it was pretty clear cut and I knew who was behind it from the getgo.
Zette
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another light, sweet romance in the Love Finds You series. I think there needed to be more interaction between the two lead characters. They enter into a marriage of convenience where there was potential for lots of romantic tension but they spent most of the time avoiding each other. It was a quick, easy read with a little romance and suspense.
Wendy
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Elizabeth that I have read and I really enjoyed it. I liked the story and the writing style. She held my interest with a little bit of love and some intrigue. A nice clean story with a little bit of sorrow always pulls me in. I will be reading more of her books.
Carla
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that you really want to be able to give more than 5 stars. This was a beautiful and wholesome story of hope and faith. The perfect read for a weekend. This is the first book I've read in the Love Finds You series, but I definitely plan on reading more.
Barbi
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! There was a little bit of mystery trying to figure out what happened to Abigail's father and what caused the accident. This was a feel good kind of story where you want the main characters to realize that they love each other. And, as usual, they are always the last to know!
Kristy
Apr 15, 2015 added it
WOW. Abbigail lives with her father. He dies in a mine explosion. She marries the liveryman, Nathan and cares for his daughter Lizzie.

Abbigail's aunts come from Virginia to try to take her home with them but she stays with Nathan and lizzie.
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
What a delightful story. It's always fun to go back and read debut novels from authors who have started well and are continuing to improve their craft. Such is "Love Finds You in Calico, California". The history of the region was fascinating and Nathan and Abigail's story was a keeper.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 3 Jan 14, 2015 01:12PM

• Love Finds You in Silver City, Idaho (Love Finds You)
  • Love Finds You in Hope, Kansas
  • Love Finds You in Holiday, Florida
  • Love Finds You in Treasure Island, Florida
  • Love Finds You in Hershey, Pennsylvania
  • Love Finds You in Humble, Texas
Elizabeth Ludwig is an accomplished speaker and teacher, often attending conferences where she lectures on editing for fiction writers, crafting effective novel proposals, and conducting successful editor/agent interviews. Book three in her popular EDGE OF FREEDOM series, Tide and Tempest, was named a finalist for the Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence. Elizabeth was also named a finalist in the 201 ...more
“Never be afraid to let the tears fall, Abigail. It's God's way of rinsing away the grief and healing your spirit.” 1 likes
“The ire in Abigail's belly died a little. She fought to get it back. 'I"m just as capable of taking care of myself as any man.'
'I'm not saying you aren't. It's just - you have to understand how Nathan sees you.'
Abigail paused. She knew how he saw her - as a helpless female who would only get in his way.
As though sensing her thoughts, Caroline shook her head. 'It's different with men, especially husbands,' she said. 'They see us as something vulnerable and fragile, something to be protected and cared for. ... he's bound and determined to do everything he can to keep you and Lizzie safe.' ... 'Talk to him. Let him know how you're feeling. It'll be all right. You're his family now, sweetheart," Caroline continued. 'A man like Nathan takes that responsibility seriously.”
1 likes