Start by marking “What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,451 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
Published November 20th 1991 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers

Bonnie
This second edition of What if?, a tome of a book, is labeled “College Edition” and would appeal to anyone teaching fiction writing, or to anyone who writes fiction. This book would also appeal to readers: the final two sections – 200 pages of this over-500-page book – contain a dozen short-short stories; and a collection of contemporary short stories by stellar authors such as Margaret Atwood, Raymond Carver, and Alice Munro.

The book is organized around fourteen topics: Beginnings; Notebooks,
Sue
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, read-2015
Different from most writing books, this is - basically - nothing but writing exercises, intended to help with particular parts of writing. I like the layout, organised roughly into categories, and it’s intended to be something to dip into, for inspiration and ideas. I thought I’d work through this one and began, six months ago, by doing some of the exercises. However I didn't feel able to make the time and abandoned it for a while, then recently read the rest of the book, looking at the exercise ...more
Deborah
Mar 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
This book is the most condescending, poorly written book on writing that used to grace my shelves.

The authors spoke to their audience like we couldn't write, and their sentences were so wordy that I started removing the excess words. When I did this, I was able to cross out 50% of the words in the sentences and still maintain the original meaning of the sentence. If you are going to write poorly to inexperienced writers, then you certainly shouldn't condescend to them.

I threw this book away. It
Robin
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-home, school
This was an okay book. My idea in reading it was that I would do each of the writing exercises as I read them, but most of them I felt would not help me achieve my current goals. I did get some great ideas though and I wouldn't discourage any writer from trying this book out. But I would recommend skimming through the book to find exercises that will help you work through your current kinks, and not to work through the book cover to cover.
Bonnie
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
I have the newest version which I had to order from the states, but I refer to it often. There aren't quite the same exercises as this original, but there are more of them, and the new text includes a good number of short, short stories and short stories, as well.
Amanda Patterson
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great motivator for writers.

Ask the difficult questions and then write the story.
Erin George
Oct 05, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Many great writing exercises for writers of fiction. Unique section that gives student examples of writing prompts. Great for teachers of writing.
Sean Hall
Thorough exploration of fiction exercises with a variety of short stories to illustrate the lesson.
Tree Langdon
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
a good book to work through when perfecting your technique
Sean Kerr
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible resource for learning and practising techniques related to fiction writing, and the short stories in the end are phenomenal. I used this back in college in 2007-09, and loved it then. I've used in many times since when working with fiction writing groups, and still love it.
Katherine Kaecey McCormick
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book that you like more or less depending on where you are in the writing process, what your goal is in consulting the book, and your state of mind at the time.

This book is useful and provides many exercises which help the reader write, get it down, get it out, and get through a block or obstacle that is preventing words from flowing. The exercises are relatively short and manageable. Some feel uncomfortable, silly, or strange - when I react like that to a writing exercise,
Dennis
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I liked this book, my two main quibbles are: (1) the selection and arrangement of the collection of short stories, the lengthier ones, that is; and (2) not enough exercises. If you want an exercise on irony, it's not in here. How about one on subtext in dialogue? Zip.

Although the short stories aren't bad, I prefer them to be grouped together. A good example is the anthology Points of View by James Moffett. It is solely about POV and Moffett arranged the stories from straight internal mo
Richard Jespers
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great creative writing text. Practical yet creative in approach. The “what if” list actually helped me to “unstick” and finish a story I'd been working on for a long time.

Since my first reading, I’ve also used a number of these exercises to revise, and a number of them to polish a MS. For example, highlighting that which represent the five senses using five different colors. It graphically represents how much or how little your writing is concrete, appealing at least some of the time to
Nena
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful writing exercise book! There are several exercises that I already do in my writing, and I either skip them or tweak them a bit, but it is still helpful because now I know why those tips work or are necessary in writing. I try to do one exercise a day, but I find myself excited by the writing prompts and I end up doing two or three, or even stopping so I can work on a story the exercise has just inspired. I'm getting so much writing done these days! I will keep using this unti ...more
Erin Nudi
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, wonderful, book! Tons of easy, relevant exercises, categorized in an easy-to-read manner, complete with student examples. And don't skip out on the short stories at the end of the book!

For anyone interested in workshopping, I am posting (almost) all of these exercises on my blog here: http://www.erinlanders.com/category/w...

I'd love to get someone participating with me.

Self-promotion aside, do pick up this fantastic book that is applicable to both novel writers and those who do short stor
Clintweathers
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I had delusions of literary adequacy, this was always the first thing I read every day.
The book is collection of etudes, in the same way that Bartok's Mikrokosmos is -- just lessons to be worked through.

Each of them is chewy enough to keep the writer interested, and each of them is short enough to be completed in one morning/evening/lunchtime writing session.

This is one of those books I've purchased and given away multiple copies of -- that's how much I love it.
Ryan
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: aspiring writers of any sort
This book has some fantastic characterization and plot exercises. My friend Colin recommended it to me after his summer class on writing, and it happened to be in my curriculum the next semester. While I haven't sat down and done all these yet, I certainly think it presents an amazing way to build full...not just characters, but people...and see stories from all ends. If you want to write, pick it up.
David
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I haven't tried any of the exercises in this book yet, but they look intriguing. Very practical oriented, not nuts and bolts technical, philosophical, or advice on how to live as a writer. Just a series of exercises (tons) to work on different fiction writing skills. Thorough. They've got some nice stories tossed in at the end, though they just kind of say "these are good stories" without providing any commentary as to why they were selected or what aspects are particularly well handled.
Shelley
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good resource for those that teach writing. The exercises are straightforward and organized by familiar elements of fiction. As a practiced writer, I'm not sure how much I would use myself, but it's worth having on the bookshelf as a quick go-to if you need to pull together a class/workshop quickly.
Elizabeth
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
This is my favorite of the writing exercises genre, not a genre I love. I like this book best read from cover to cover rather than as a tool per se. That way, you get a sense of the authors' philosophy of writing, why to write, what makes authentic writing, what the point is of the whole venture. In the end I found myself agreeing with them often.
jacky
Nov 26, 2008 marked it as to-read-education
Shelves: writing
I'm looking for books that have writing exercises. I think that some of my students could really use a few books of these in the room to turn to when they are stuck. If the books were available, I then wouldn't have to force the whole class through an exercise, but rather teach the kids to go to one of these sources when stuck. Now I just need to find the sources. This is a possibility.
Wendy
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all teachers of creative writing
All prose writers -- and perhaps poets too -- will find good food for thought here. I've used the exercises in this book for creative writing workshop with writers aged 15 to 75, young men in jail, university students, Mexican journalists, and many others.
Angela
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is one short story included in here that I absolutely LOVE: 'No One's a Mystery' by Elizabeth Tallent. It's only two pages but there is something really perfect about them. I still come back to this story every now and then just to re-read it.
Nic
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best collections of advice and exercises for fiction writers in existence today. While the other editions, which contain sample stories in the index, are better, this is a must-have for anyone looking to improve their fiction.
Charlene Smith
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very useful book, so much junk is written as How To Write books, and as a writer I cast most of them aside. But this was very useful, I would read only a few pages and then stop and with my mind aglow dash to the computer and begin writing... very useful for new or experienced writers.
Theresa
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've recommended this book a number of times for other creative writing teachers and they use it in their teaching. Tons of writing exercises organized by topic, e.g., character, scene, plot, revision, etc. Excellent!
H.J. Swinford
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
A great textbook for the Intro to Creative Writing class I was in. Gives some great tips for getting the creative juices flowing and some good points and examples. Keeping a journal with the reading of this book turned out to be really helpful.
James Van Pelt
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For both the teacher and the writer, this is an excellent book to inspire creative writing. I particularly like the format of describing the exercise and then showing how some authors responded to it. Highly recommended.
Purnima
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not a book to be read, but to be exercised. Yet, I couldn't resist the temptation to read this book from cover to cover. It is a book to be visited every single day of life - or at least, till you have it in you to write, write anything!
Judy Mayhew
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
What if I read a book of writing exercises? Would my writing improve? I hope so, but even if you're not a writer, this book is worth picking up for the fabulous collection of short stories at the back.
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • The 3 A.M. Epiphany: Uncommon Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Plot
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue