Start by marking “The Mad, Bad Duke (Nvengaria, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mad, Bad Duke (Nvengaria, #2)

The Mad, Bad Duke (Nvengaria #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,415 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews

Published December 1st 2006 by Dorchester Publising Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Mad, Bad Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mad, Bad Duke

The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtSlightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
391 books — 823 voters
Bared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesDark Lover by J.R. WardBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireMotorcycle Man by Kristen Ashley
Hot Alpha Males
1,428 books — 1,274 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
As I had hoped, I liked this one even more than Penelope and Prince Charming. It was hot without having the over eroticism that I found uncomfortable in the first book. It definitely helped that I became drawn to Grand Duke Alexander in Penelope and Prince Charming. He is a very good villain turned hero, utterly compelling, with a charisma that grabs and doesn't let go. I understood his motivations even then, and I gained a deeper understanding of him in this book. Megan is the perfect heroine f ...more
Lisarenee
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well he wasn't Mad(well maybe about her), he was a touch Bad, and yes he was a Duke. This book took me by surprise as I just assumed it'd be a standard love story.

A love spell has been put into place. The two affected by the spell will be not be able to resist the magic that pulls them together. Less than an hour after meeting each other the two are naked and well...Need I say more? The problem with a spell like this is how can one tell if the feelings felt while under the spells grip are not wh
Jennifer Ashley
Oct 16, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
And all-new reformatted edition of The Mad, Bad Duke, Nvengaria Book 2. One of my all-time favorites!

What's new in this edition? Story is the same. I revised for sentence clarity and grammar, had it re-edited and re-proofread, and newly formatted. A print edition (trade paperback) is also available from online booksellers.
Sammy
3.5 Loved The Leads stars

I don't understand how Jennifer Ashley manages to write such wonderful couple , time and time again , and at the same time with different characteristics.

I can't help but keep on emphasizing on how much I loved Hero & Heroine.

Our Hero , the mysterious , the calm , wicked , alpha was just my cup of tea.. lolz.. I loved how he was so intense and at the same time so calm ,
fangirling ...

ANd our heroine was just the perfect girl for him , the innocent , the fun , so und
Farrah
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

The Mad, Bad Duke was the perfect mix of historical and paranormal romance. This book was fantastic, one of the best historical/paranormal romance books I've read!

Meagan is a resilient woman. After being compromised because of an errant love spell, being thrust into a world of political intrigue, thwarting assassins, and finding out the truth about her new husbands magical background, she still lands on her feet. She
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

I decided to read this book for three reasons:

1. It’s called the Mad, Bad Duke. Some people are seduced by a cover and some people are seduced by a title. I can be enticed by both. In this case it was the title that got me

2. It’s by Jennifer Ashley, and Ashley has written one of my favourite historical romances of all time – The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenize

3. I read the first book in the Nvengaria series years ago and it was about time I started the second book!

So, did the book live up to the
Shelly
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Barbara ★
I love Jennifer Ashley's books and I've enjoyed the Nvengaria storyline but this book took me totally by surprise since I assumed it was a typical love story. Well it's not and I can't even tell you why. Though if you like paranormal romances, you'll love it too.

No insta-love (which I hate) but a whole lotta insta-lust which is always fun to see how each party handles it. The sex scenes were tastefully done and yet very hot and sexy. I loved that Meagan brought out Alexander's kindness (regardle
Lin #Historical lover...❤️
My favorite genre is historical romance. My best friend's favorite genre is erotica.

This book meet us both very very happy.

Being a fictional place, the author had creative license to make the culture of this country anything she wanted it to be. And she made it hot and passionate.

Bad guy turning good, and sexy as sin, Alexander was interesting to the last drop. Add in his other.... er... UNIQUE qualities and I just wanted the book to last forever.
Sharyn
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well I read 1 and 3, then found 2. Early Jennifer Ashley, whom I love now. This is a paranormal sort of Regency, with a make believe Kingdom in Eastern Europe. The Duke was a bad guy in the 1st book, and Meagan the best friend of Penelope from the 1st book, so it all ties together. Thjis trilogy is fun, sexy and the paranormal parts are right in vogue now.
Jessica Simone
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I preferred this one to the first one. I found that Meagan lost some of her spunk, where she was vivacious in the first one, I found her lacking here. It made me upset because I really liked Meagan in the first book and would have liked her traits to carry on into the second.
Maggie Shanley
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Quick read but include some paranormal elements that weren't well grounded in the text. Nice bit of romance fluff but I am not interested in reading anymore by this author.
Keri
This was an ok book. It was a historical romance that had shifters, spells and magic.
Sheila Melo
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINAL DECISION: Incredibly enjoyable for readers open to fusion romances.  This charming historical paranormal perfectly merges the genres to fashion a fairy tale about a former villain who can't help but fall in love (because of a love charm) with a woman he never would have chosen on his own.

THE STORY: Megan Tavistock gets unexpectedly snared by a love spell which results in her ending up married to Grand Duke Alexander of Nvengaria.  Alexander has been sent to England because he plotted again
Ravioli Rachel
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it

3.5 out of 5 Stars

Book Description -
Meagan Tavistock can easily see how Alexander earned the nickname Mad, Bad Duke. His deep blue eyes promise sinful pleasure and his rich voice intimates that as soon as they are skin to skin, he'll fulfill desires she isn't even aware of. When a love spell misses its intended target, Meagan can no longer resist the temptation...until the magic wears off, leaving the pair in a most compromising position. Their only option is a marriage that thrusts Meagan int
Dawn
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dierdre is married to a wonderful guy but she wants to have an affair with the Grand Duke of Nvengaria, Alexander, however she is having trouble getting his attention. To remedy this small issue Dierdre decided to see a witch for a love spell but fearing she will be caught if she goes alone, Dierdre coerced her friend Meagan to go with her. Meagan is against the idea and really is against the idea of love spells in general but the witch has other plans. Then one night before the ball Meagan and ...more
Jenn
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one started out well. I was intrigued by a slight supernatural element, but since it didn't take up a huge part of the first half of the book, I foolishly thought it would remain that way. Perhaps if I'd read the first book and had some background on the logosh stuff, I would have liked this one better. And I did try to read the first one before I read this one. But I picked up this one and the next at the used book store. I tried to get the first one on the Kindle, but it's not available t ...more
~Megan~
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dangerous-dudes
I enjoyed this book much more than the previous one in this serious. Where Penelope seemed a little disjointed at times because of all the traveling around, Mad Bad Duke flowed seamlessly.

The romance between Alexander and Meagan (he he, you know I pretended this was me) was beautiful to read about. Just like Black Annie predicted, they were truly perfect for one another. I loved all the magic and love spells involved in this story...it transformed it from a regular historical novel to something
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
What a great read. Alexanders story was wonderful and loved the lil twist w/ him. Meagan is funny in an innocent way but it didn't make her childish or aggravating at all. I really liked her!

O' and I'd REALLY like to get my hands on that Nvengarian seduction book for women! lol

I'm quite surprised by this series and loving the historical mixed w/ myth and magic. Has a bit of a fairytale feel to them...........

Jennifer Ashley is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

LOVED the ending!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
I hated Alexander in Penelope and Damien's story. His unfound hatred based on his sadistic father and his fear that the son was just the same. Alexander redeemed himself in this book, thanks in large part to Meagan. Their attraction may have started because of Black Annie's love spell, but the love between them that followed was all them. The secondary characters like Egan, Julius, and Nikolai are all entertaining and extremely loyal. Jennifer Ashley has done it again. Great read!!
Danette Steward
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ashley-jennifer
Entertaining enough. Hot enough. Odd plot though.
Sabina Alilovic
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first book about shapeshifters. I like it :)
Sandra R
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, interesting story, shape shifter hero (!!!), steamy and I could not put it down until I finished it.
Sally
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit, having loved everything written by Jennifer Ashley in all her guises, I was disappointed in the first of this series. Luckily I had Faith, and am so glad I hung in there to read The Mad, Bad Duke.

I loved Meagan, so down to earth and with her wicked sense of humour, and the anguished Duke. This story is a true love story and now, having fallen in love with the Mad scotsman, Egan, I'm moving straight on to his book.
Jane Reader
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not entirely sure if The Mad, Bad Duke will become one of my favorite stories or not. I enjoyed the novel--and Jennifer Ashley's writing style--the characters were pleasant and there was an actual storyline, but for some reason it didn't grip me like I'd expect. It is the second of the Nvengaria series and is about the Grand Duke of Nvengaria, a fictional Eastern European country that is small, but powerful and alluring to the Prince of Prussia as a possible new territory. The novel does hav ...more
Michelle K
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
A historical with paranormal elements

I got The Mad, Bad Duke in paperback as a super good deal at a giant booksale. Hey a book just has to say it's written by Jennifer Ashley and I am buying it. You can tell that The Mad, Bad Duke is an early work of Jennifer Ashley as it is not as awesome as her more recent books but it was still an enjoyable read regardless.

It is not too often I read a historical romance with paranormal elements thrown into the mix. As
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I did enjoy this book more. Alexander starts off as the bad guy then slowly shows that his heart with in right place just didn't quite follow through well.
Damien appoints Alexander as ambassador for Nvengaria to woo English king and the ton. While their a love spell makes him compromise a English Rose and BFF of the current queen of Nvengaria meagan
He comes across as harsh and unloving and struggling at the same time with his lust and attraction to meagan.
I really like that when Alexander take
Noura
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Definitely better than the first book, this one tells the story of the not-quite-villain Alexander (from the first book) and how he fell madly in love with Penelope's BFF Meagan. Too neat? Yes, but the story has loads of magical twists and turns and it's a joy to read about how their love change him from a cold calculating man to a loving husband.

What's to like:
1) the heroine - never say die attitude, she's got spunk and a big heart
2) the hero - tortured, brooding and hot (always a good basic fo
Fedora
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Probably more like a three and a half.

I liked the hero, Grand Duke Alexander, Nvengaria's ambassador (of sorts) to England, and Meagan Tavistock, who unwittingly becomes holder of a love charm that compels the two of them together. Being an incredibly honorable man, Alexander insists they marry. He doesn't realize that doing so truly binds him not only to his love but his salvation.

He has secrets, and secret parts of himself that he is just learning about; Meagan and her warm love for him allow
  • Fade to Black (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #3)
  • Falling in Love Again (Of Dragons and Wolves #6)
  • Strong Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #8)
  • Firestorm (Fatefully Yours #3)
  • Ravyn's Blood (Ravyn War­riors, #1)
  • Hidden Honor
  • Barely a Lady (Drake's Rakes, #1)
  • Masquerading the Marquess (Lords of Intrigue, #1)
  • The Vampire's Special Lover (Wolves of Stone Ridge #16)
  • Vaughn's Vampire Hunter (Christian's Coven #4)
  • King of the Unblessed (Realm Immortal, #1)
  • Vencentio (Resistant Omegas #6)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.
More about Jennifer Ashley...

Nvengaria (4 books)
  • Penelope and Prince Charming (Nvengaria, #1)
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3)
  • The Longest Night (Nvengaria, #4)

“In Nvengaria we would not dream of doing this. We do not punish a woman for what a man has done, and if he dishonors her and she shoots him, it is regarded as justifiable and she is praised for her bravery.” 4 likes