Start by marking “School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)” as Want to Read:
School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)

School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters

(Justin Case #1)

It's the start of the school year, and nothing feels right to Justin. He didn't get the teacher he wanted, he's not in the same class as his best friend, and his little sister, Elizabeth, is starting kindergarten at his school. Elizabeth doesn't seem nervous at all. Justin is very nervous about third grade. And to top it off, he's lost his favorite stuffed animal, but he c ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Feiwel & Friends (first published April 22nd 2010)

Kim Zarins
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of Justin Case. I’m guessing the people who love these books best and long for more are the ones who know someone like Justin. Someone for whom life does not come easy, for whom soccer is exhausting on multiple levels, authority figures are objects of frightening power, parents are well-meaning but often don’t get it (Dad, let the kid drop soccer already!), and friendships are more complex than the hardest math problems. If you know someone like Justin, you’ll clutch this book clos ...more
Angie
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really ... more like a four and a half. Justin is hilarious! I actually stopped and marked a couple lines. Hopefully you will think they are as funny as I do.

"If my costume for Halloween were "some other kind in my class,' I would wear it all the time for the rest of my life so that nobody would know I am me, the boy whose mother has to bring him his lunch and then kiss him in front of everybody." (38)

"It's just hard for me to convince myself to tray and keep the ball for myself when a kid comes
Kelly
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters is the story of one boy’s year in third grade. Justin worries about everything, and I do mean everything. Will his new third grade teacher be nice or mean? Will he fail the third grade because he’s having trouble remembering what 8x3 equals? Where has his most favorite stuffed animal gone? Why does his dad seem to like torturing him by signing him up for soccer, baseball, and other potentially embarrassing sporting activities? Why is there so ...more
Stella (Paper Wings)
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my mom when I was but a wee book grub, and we still make references to "rarest puss" and "the way back of the basement." (It's a weird book.) I don't remember what it's actually about, but I remember thinking it was hilarious. I should probably reread this sometime...
Lexie
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was wonderful! Anyone who has struggled with anxiety and worry will identify with Justin. I laughed out loud so many times while reading.
Rick Stuckwisch
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really a delightful book, much better than I was anticipating. Witty and clever, charming and sweet, with just the right amount of humor, and equal parts nostalgic and thoughtful. Reminiscent of the old Wonder Years television show, and not unlike the best of Beverly Cleary in its character and tone. Looking forward to the sequel.
The Rusty Key
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Rusty Key Writer: Jordan B. Nielsen

Recommended for: Particularly boys, aged 9 to 13, but the main character of this story is so relatable in his angst and turmoil that there is nothing to stop girls from loving and identifying with him just as much.

One Word Summary: Neurotic.

If Woody Allen or David Sedaris were to have kept a diary when they were in third grade, it undoubtedly would have read like ‘Justin Case’, a sharp, quirky, put-the-book-down-because-you’re-laughing-so-hard-you-c
Andy
Apr 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Oh, I have such mixed feelings about this book. So many things to like, but one huge, glaring problem that I can't ignore. In a nutshell, Justin is totally diagnosable, on the spectrum for an anxiety disorder, or perhaps OCD. I kept waiting for this to be addressed, for some responsible adult in Justin's life to recognize the many, many red flags/cries for help (the scene where he loses it in class on pages 30-34 is pretty close to textbook, I'd say).

I waited in vain. Apparently, Justin is just
Amy
Jul 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
They need a category for "didn't finish reading because it was a waste of time". My boys have LOVED the Diary of a Whimpy Kid series so when I saw this book in the same type of format about a third grade boy, I eagerly picked it up. It was a huge disappointment. The book is written in the first person but there is not one thing about the writing that even tries to pretend a third grade boy wrote this. The voice is terrible, his life is tragic that is is flat out depressing instead of funny, and ...more
Steph
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid will enjoy this, though it's much longer and wordier. I definitely chuckled at quite a few parts, but about fifty pages from the end I was way ready to be done with it. 3.5 stars!

A few lines that I got a kick out of:

"I wore my glow-in-the-dark Batman pajamas. So did Xavier Schawrtz. (I mean, he wore his. He didn't wear mine, too.)"

"Think big. Be ambitious."

"The kind of cookies he bought were called Jaffa Cakes. According to the packge, Jaffa Cakes have orange-center
Teresa
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was laughing out loud as Justin K., dubbed "Justin Case" by his classmates because he's afraid of everything, navigated the dangerous waters of third grade, with gym embarassments, shifting friendships, visiting relatives, warring or missing stuffed animals and a teacher named Ms. Termini (say it fast). This kid has a very real, smart voice, and an sense of the absurd that is spot on. His loving, though sometimes exasperating family help him get through his challenges, and his kindness and eve ...more
Ishta Mercurio
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
I really, really, really liked this book.

First, I think the voice of Justin is absolutely, completely, one-hundred percent true. I heard my 7-yo son talking when I read this book. I love the way so many issues were handled: changing friends, annoying relatives, fear of not meeting parental expectations. I loved the way Justin grew throughout the book, in baby-steps. I think the diary format was spot-on. The whole thing was so well-done. This is one I will be studying. A great, fast read.
Jill
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Matt and Nicole
This was a very cute book, and it was fun to read!

Justin Case is the story of an anxiety-ridden third grader and his daily life. It definitely tries to be like Wimpy Kid, in that it's in a diary format, but it is totally not the same. This kid truly is wimpy. There was some really funny dry humor in the book that I enjoyed a lot.

Jim grabbed this off the shelf for me, and I'm glad he did. It was a nice little story, and Matt read it yesterday at the beach and liked it too!
Sandra
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I did end up really enjoying this book. I picked it up on my way out of the library off the table labeled Best Books of 2010. I thought it was great, though it sounded much more mature than what a third grader would think. But maybe Justin is a mature third grader.

I don't know. It was just one of those random weird picks that had me smiling. No more or less than that. Would I have named it one of the best books of 2010. Probably not. But, enjoyable nonetheless.
Phoebe
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
I suppose this is a book to hand to Wimpy Kid fans but does anyone else think that the narrator sounds much older than a third-grader? And in no way is this book at a third grade reading level, the font is tiny and the book is almost 250 pages long. My verdict is that this book is confused and so was the author. She should stick to YA fiction.
Nancy
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I agree with the other comments posted by our group about the "conflict" between the reading level (5.2)and the age of the main character (third grade) in Justin Case. If these were closer I would have given this book 4 stars. It is enjoyable and addresses real kid issues: school, worrying, friendship, etc. Kids will read this.
Angela Kidd Shinozaki
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hooray for Justin Case! Highly recommended. Great MG read for boys and girls. Anyone who has ever felt just the slightest bit nervous or shy. Remember, worry isn't the opposite of bravery.
FYI: I met the author, too. She's fabulous! Read her picture book, Piggy Bunny, as well. Is there anything she can't write?
MCPLD Youth Department
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-3rd-grade
Hilarious! Worry-worts will love it. Great for 3rd graders and any fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Jenny
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book to use as a read aloud for the beginning of the year!
Debbie McNeil
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Cute story kids will find a lot to identify with. Long, challenging reading level considering protagonist's age and maturity level.
Lorraine Stinson
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Cat
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thought it might be similar to the other "diaries" kids have been reading in past years, so I took a peek. It was entertaining, and sort of tragic. I am sure this is going to appeal to various children due to it's format- what kid doesn't enjoy peek reading other's diaries?! And of course, some kids are going to relate to Justin, who seems to be suffering from some sort of OCD or depression, or something..where are the adults??? The kid needs some help! And, of course, kids who know someone like ...more
Jessica
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A 3-5 grade book clearly written by someone who knows kids and is from a kids point of view. I thought it amusing since I am a teacher

Example: He is not allowed to say hate.
"You know what I hate as much as slobber?
Times tables.
I mean I completely no thank you times tables>" pg 105.

"Gianni started screaming that he had found Witchie Poo....I ran away fast because I don't honestly care what kind of poo was on that stick; I still would prefer not to be touched with it." pg 157. (The illustation
Katie Fitzgerald
Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters is the daily diary of a third-grade boy named Justin Krzeszewski (a name he says "looks like somebody fell asleep and their head rolled around on the computer keyboard") who has a lot of worries. He's not crazy about the idea of third grade to begin with, but things go from bad to worse when he is separated from his best friend (and second best friend) because of a mix-up with his class assignment, his beloved stuffed dog goes missing, his fa ...more
Kathy
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
I started out reading this book because it is a Bluestem Nominee (an Illinois award) and I wanted to book talk this to the elementary school kids I see in November. I ended up loving this book. I think a lot of kids in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade will be able to relate to Justin and see a little of him/herself in Justin.
Jared Scharf
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book.
What I liked about this book was the humor. Justin was really relatable somehow too.
What I didn't like was nothing. I have nothing wrong to say about it.
And what I felt while reading this book was a connection with Justin because I remember in 3rd grade I was stressed about random things. And I always thought "What if ___".
I highly recommend!
Rayneisha Doak
Very relatable account for most third grade students entering the third grade. The book was very humorous, however, I felt bad because of some of Justin’s actions and behavioral issues and didn’t want to laugh.
Emily Myhren
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Between 3 and 4 stars- this is a great recommendation for younger readers who enjoy Alvin Ho and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. My only two complaints are the writing was choppy at times and the length of the book could be intimidating for the intended audience.
Han
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perhaps somebody else already answered this question, but can anyone tell me why one of the characters was named after a Puccini opera (Gianni Schicchi)? I couldn’t get O mio babbino caro out of my head.
Michael
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book made me feel relaxed because it was the first book that the teacher read to me so I could just sit and think about the book. this resulted in me being less stressed about reading and books like these help me get less stressed about reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Big One-Oh
  • Strawberry Hill
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • My Life as a Book (My Life, #1)
  • Uncle Bobby's Wedding
  • Bully Bait
  • Masters of Disaster
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Jake
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission (Lulu, #3)
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo

Justin Case (3 books)
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • Rules, Tools, and Maybe a Bully (Justin Case, #3)