Start by marking “The Golden Gate” as Want to Read:
The Golden Gate

The Golden Gate

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  3,489 Ratings  ·  343 Reviews
"The great California novel been written, in verse (and why not?): The Golden Gate gives great joy."--Gore Vidal

One of the most highly regarded novels of 1986, Vikram Seth's story in verse made him a literary household name in both the United States and India.

John Brown, a successful yuppie living in 1980s San Francisco meets a romantic interest in Liz, after placing a per
Published June 18th 1991 by Vintage (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Gate

Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
268 books — 639 voters
The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyA Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaMidnight's Children by Salman RushdieThe Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Best Indian Books
770 books — 2,299 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynne King
This book seemed to be the natural follow on from my recent amazing couplet experience with Alexander Pope’s The Rape of the Lock. Why you may wonder? Well for the simple reason The Golden Gate is a twentieth century novel with a unique difference in that it has been written in verse, not with couplets but with sonnets in such a way as to be an uplifting experience, be it poignant, humorous, bitter-sweet, nostalgic, tragic…You name it; every conceivable emotion has been magnificently portrayed b ...more
Manny
Completely unique book, as far as I know the only major verse novel written in English during the last 100 years. The life and loves of a bunch of 80s yuppies in Silicon Valley, told in Petrarchan sonnets. It should be a catastrophe, but in fact it's a brilliant success - funny, romantic, tragic, witty, you name it.

"To make a start more swift than weighty
Hail Muse. Dear Reader, once upon
A time, say, circa 1980,
There lived a man. His name was John..."

_____________________________________

So I w
Jacob
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
3 October 2013
I'm finished! Now to write some sonnets
For a review I hope you'll like.
No mean feat, so give me time on it--
It's not like riding on a bike!
Perhaps I'll post something by Sunday.
(Which means you'll have to wait 'til Monday
Or Tuesday instead, or later--
Call me King Procrastinator!)
And if you think this plan improper,
You have my sad regrets, so choose
Instead to read other reviews.
My muse, although I tried to stop her,
Demanded this. I must appease!
Now, back to that review I teased...

Se
Fionnuala
May 27, 2011 added it
Shelves: poetry, place
Although this novel is written in verse, the reader almost forgets that fact after a while because in all other respects, this is just like any other novel with a well paced plot, varied cast of characters, plenty of dialogue and the usual suspense about who is going to hook up with who plus some wry commentary from the author about the challenges of writing in verse.
Teresa
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read A Suitable Boy years ago and loved it. Because I did, I then read An Equal Music, which I liked a lot. But knowing Seth's first novel, this one, was in verse, I put it off. If I'd remembered it, after reading its inspiration, Eugene Onegin, I may have read it sooner, but at least the mention of ASB by a non-GR friend got me to take this out of the library.

It took a little while to get into the rhythm, so to speak, but once I did, it was smooth sailing. (I was even dreaming in rhymed sente
Molly
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Molly by: Phil Zeyliger
I was expecting to enjoy this book, but even so it really knocked my socks off.

Total times I missed my bus stop as a result of this book and had to walk home from Bosworth and Mission: 2.

Total times I have ever missed that bus stop: 3.

That will tell you how involved I got reading this book. Seth is a charming writer. The characters were fully-fleshed-out and interesting to read about, the places were very real (as a Bay Area resident, it was very exciting to see places like the Cafe Trieste show
James Barker

It seems a bit crazy to read a book written wholly in sonnets, although not as crazy as choosing to write one. At least that's what I thought when I stumbled on 'The Golden Gate' in a charity shop. I still felt it 10 pages in.. this wasn't going to work for me… A verse novel of the late twentieth century recording a few years in the life of yuppies in early 80s San Fran, all in soapy sonnets that range the gamete from humorous to tragic? But this work, treading the fine line between madness and
Miriam
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: San Franciscans
Recommended to Miriam by: Ceridwen Christensen
Shelves: poetry, cover-love
The main problem with Vikram Seth's exquisitely crafted verse novel about the personal lives of yuppies in the Bay Area of the 1980s is, well, the personal lives of yuppies. They're just not that interesting. Not even the most beautifully turned phrases, the most glowing imagery, can keep over 300 pages of rather shallow individuals and their quotidian concerns from occasionally dragging. In fact, I think Seth did this intentionally, contrasting the the elevation of the poetry with the banality ...more
Mykle
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Here's one of those Goodreads non-reviews in which the author uses a Great Work of Literature as a platform to talk about himself. Ready? Here goes:

When I was a high school student in Palo Alto, I used to go to Printer's Ink Bookstore Cafe on California Ave to visit my friend Gregory, who had a job slinging coffee there.

Blah blah blah, personal anecdote et cetera. The point is: there were many regulars at this place. One of them was Vikram Seth. I believe he describes the coffee bar in one of t
John
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly, this book is why I'm married to the person I married.

The novel presents a daunting challenge to readers, because it consists of sonnets - 14 lines per, babe. I recall that Seth doesn't adhere closely to iambic pentameter, which is fine - there's a good tradition of poets being flexible with verse. (See Shakespeare, William.)

This is a book of love and loss, friendship and loss, and San Francisco.
Thrupthi (Trips) Reddy
Jul 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
To write a contemporary love story, intertwining the lives of 6 people that you and me can completely relate to, and delving deep into their everyday lives, struggles, loves and lamentations...and to be able to do this entirely using sonnets and poetry....simply UNBELIEVABLE! This poem/story/work of fiction is a must read for anyone that thought poerty is hard to read or too hard to understand. The simple language, yet strong prose makes this book a delightful, magical read. You'll fall in love ...more
Bill
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book was fabulous - imagine an entire novel written in verse! How could you? when I started, I couldn't imagine that I would finish it. But Seth does such a fabulous job with the rhyme scheme, with choices of words, and with the story itself that I couldn't put it down. It actually worked best when my wife and I took turns reading it aloud to one another. Then you can really "hear" the poetry in it as well as enjoy the story.

Seth said that he was inspired by Eugene Onegin by Pushkin - using
Avishek Das
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is sheer intellectual & gripping....the closet conversations are out...
Eric Hendrixson
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I reread this book every five years or so, and I always do it when nobody is around because, really, I look like an idiot when I cry in public, and the last chapter of this book does it to me every time.

This is a novel about San Francisco in the 80s, written completely in verse. The plot is fairly simple. It's a little soap opera about a few friends looking for love, success, and their places in the world. However, it's all written in what I'll call Onegin stanzas, that tetrameter sonnet form Pu
Ankita
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Today I wish to review my very latest read for you
It’s a novel in verse by the inimitable Vikram Seth
About young pals-John, Liz, Janet, Ed, Phil and Sue
Set in 1980’s, it unfolds in city of ‘The Golden Gate’
When a lonely John sets out to look for an apt partner
Pressed by Janet, his ex-a sculptor and band drummer
They come across a plethora of people and situations
Find old friends, heartbreaks, odd and taboo relations
Apart from jealous cats, wines, iguana, art, revolution,
Sleights, breakups, confe
Kay
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who can write an entire novel in sonnet form in this day and age and still weave a story that taps into the complex core of the heart and love is, simply put, amazing.
Tejas Janet
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a surprise to discover this gem, over twenty-five years after its original publication. Unique and breath-taking, written entirely in verse, this novel was inspired by Russian poet Alexander Pushkin's novel Eugene Onegin, also written entirely in verse. Set in 1980's San Francisco rather than Pushkin’s Imperial Russian cities of 1820’s St. Petersburg and Moscow, The Golden Gate is written by Vikram Seth, author of the highly regarded A Suitable Boy.

Despite being skeptical going in, I was q
Trin
Jun 14, 2007 rated it liked it
I got this book as a gift and was honestly a bit wary at first because the concept—a novel told entirely in sonnets!—seemed a bit hokey and pretentious to me. But in general it's really quite lovely and clever, even if the plot is a bit thin (with the exception of one incredibly shocking moment toward the end). Plus, Seth captures the feel of the Bay Area really well. You were right, dear gift-giver!
Vishy
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Vikram Seth’s ‘A Suitable Boy’ and ‘An Equal Music’ and liked both of them very much. ‘A Suitable Boy’ was the longest book that I had ever read at the time I read it – at 1360 pages, it comfortably beat its competition which included ‘Gone with the Wind’ by Margaret Mitchell (1106 pages) and ‘Destiny’ by Sally Beauman (960 pages). I think it still is the longest I have ever read. However after reading ‘An Equal Music’, I liked it a little bit more. I have wanted to read his novel in ...more
Nandakishore Varma
This is an excellent effort - a novel entirely in sonnet format (including the chapter titles). I read this ages back, and was not very impressed. Since then I have become a fan of Seth's poetry, and I think if I read this now, it will go up by one star.
fiafia
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this unique and amazing book about the life, loves and tragedies of young people in San Francisco, a novel written 30 years ago in Oneguin stanza! Brilliant.
Vismay
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Insuperable the task seemed, at library,
Should I give a shot to this masterpiece literary?
To linguistic excellence, I lay no claim,
Should I read Vikram Seth, a writer basking in worldly fame?
Choice, why do you inundate a man with your potpourri-
‘Carrie’, ‘The Golden Gate’ or ‘The Great Train Robbery’?
To quote an adage, too much sugar spoils the broth,
Indecisive, sullen and morose, your variety makes a man with frustration, froth.
Yes, I eventually and apprehensively did pick up ‘The Golden Gate’,
Teju
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will confess - I have never been a fan of poetry.I found it pretentious, insincere, and peculiar. I reckon it might have been those torrid school years when one was asked to memorize lines from a poem, without ever appreciating this literary form. I never related to those supposedly wonderful lines of The Solitary reaper of Wordsworth or the grim reality of apartheid espoused through the lines of Pigeons at the Oppenheimer Park. But "The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth" was different for me. Even t ...more
LG
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
To state the obvious, Seth is a renowned genius. However, most readers seem to base this judgment on his 1500-page opus, A Suitable Boy, whereas I’m one of those who would say this book, published some seven years earlier, is truer proof. The number to marvel at here is 690 – and it’s sonnets, not pages. Yes, sonnets. And this is not a book of poetry; it’s fiction. Read out this excerpt:
John stands beside his phone, recalling Janet’s warm beauty, smiling calm, her dark eyes, high-boned features,
Shriya
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who thinks he has read enough!
Recommended to Shriya by: Gussie
The Golden Gate is well written, witty, poetic ( Come on, it's an entire novel in verse )and, I have no other word for it, COOL! Above all, it is a story that you'd carry within you forever!

I can hardly imagine being critical towards a genius like Vikram Seth because not only did he create a novel which I'd always love but also because this novel of his helped me get rid of my 'unjust' prejudice against Indian authors.

So, without further ado, I challenge you to give me one reason why you shoul
Elaine
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If I had the skill and time
I'd put this review in rhyme
Superlatives I'd strew galore
Gorgeous, fabulous and more.
Vikram turns to poetry
to render all life's this-and-thats
coastal flowers,
demonstrations,
budding friendships
lovers' spats.
I thought I'd be intimidated
by literary references
Versified sentences
But the tale's easy to follow
Not a character is hollow
And snobbishness is overrated,
So as for author Vikram Seth,
I just think that he's the beth!
Terry
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Note: this is actually one sustained story, not a collection of poems. This is my #1 favorite book for both "literary" and personal reasons. It's beautifully written. The characters became a part of my life. I can't say enough good things about this book.
Kayleigh Patel
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The sonnet is my favorite classical form of poetry, and Seth's dexterity in weaving them into an entire novel is amazing. Form aside, this is a story that covers a range of emotions--sweet, funny, and sad. And, of course, the cats were a bonus!
notgettingenough
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-lit, poetry
When I stop crying I'll review this.

PS: I'm not going to stop crying. On reflection this fact is the review.

PPS: I'm so grateful to have been given this book.
YourLovelyMan
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romantics, Yuppies, Anyone whose heart is set in San Francisco
It's dark. He drives. The street lamps glimmer
Through the cooling air. The golden globes
By City Hall glow, and the glimmer
--Like sequins on black velvet robes--
Of lights shines out across the water
Across the bay, unruffled daughter
Of the Pacific; on the crests
Of hill and bridge red light congests
The sky with rubies. Briskly blinking,
Planes--Venus-bright--traverse the sky.
Ed drives on, hardly knowing why,
Across the tall-spanned bridge. Unthinking,
He parks, and looks out past the strait
The deep fl
  • A Flight Of Pigeons
  • We Weren't Lovers Like That
  • Kanthapura: Indian Novel
  • Of Mutability
Vikram Seth is an Indian poet, novelist, travel writer, librettist, children's writer, biographer and memoirist.

During the course of his doctorate studies at Stanford, he did his field work in China and translated Hindi and Chinese poetry into English. He returned to Delhi via Xinjiang and Tibet which led to a travel narrative From Heaven Lake: Travels Through Sinkiang and Tibet (1983) which won
More about Vikram Seth...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Golden Age: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth
    $8.24 $1.99
“In life's brief game to be a winner
A man must have...oh yes, above
All else, of course, someone to love.”
13 likes
“Workers of lungless labs- when dying
Will you be proud you were midwife
To implements exemplifying
Assaults against the heart of life?
You knew their purpose, yet you made them.
If you had scruples, you betrayed them.
What pastoral response acquits
Those who made ovens for Auschwitz?
Indeed it is said that the banality
Of evil is its greatest shock.
It jokes. It punches its time clock,
Plays with its kids. The triviality
Of slaughtering millions can't impinge
Upon its peace, or make it cringe.”
4 likes