Start by marking “Enchanted (Medieval, #3)” as Want to Read:
Enchanted (Medieval, #3)

Enchanted

(Medieval #3)

Simon the loyal has vowed never to love, for love makes a warrior weak. His arranged marriage to a beautiful Norman heiress would be duty and no more. But more than duty stirs his blood when he first sees Ariane. She has known only coldness from men and a betrayal so deep it all but killed her soul. Wanting no man, trusting no man, speaking only through the sad songs she d ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published August 1st 1994 by Avon (first published 1994)

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
11/22/15: Continuing my medieval re-read extravaganza...

ENCHANTED

description

“You saw too late. Now you are as she is, between two worlds, warmth bleeding into cold.”

SIMON

ARIANE

description

“A woman of intense feeling, head thrown back, hair wild, lips open upon a cry of unbelievable pleasure...The enchanted..."

description

"...A warrior both disciplined and passionate, his whole being focused in the moment...The enchanter."

description

"...Now he is bending down to her, drinking her cries...”

description

“You may hold my tears and live as you d
Penny Watson
May 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: bearded-hero
Lover of Romance
Simon is devoted and his only loyalty is to his friend and Lord, Dominic. He is asked to marry a heiress Ariane, who even though she is beautiful but is known as the "betrayed". Ariane has a past, and she has been betrayed by those she trusted the most. Now the only thing that brings her peace is her harp and the music she plays. She is then informed that she will marry Simon, whom she knows will kill her the moment he learns of a deep secret she keeps hidden. She doesn't need or want a man, she ...more
Barbara
May 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
2 Stars...It was just Ok

I've seen nothing but pretty high ratings and rave reviews for this one so I'm kind of confused at what the heck's going on...Obviously it's my problem...

From page one I kept hearing the Twilight Zone theme in the back of my mind because this book was just no way around it weird! The characters were ok I guess so my issue isn't there...I like paranormal/truth seers/witches novels so that's not what threw me off...So maybe it's the writing or just the whole storyline itsel
Tina
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book retained the atmosphere and vibe of the previous book. But I liked it less because the romance and plot wasn't as engaging. The romantic conflict relied on the heroine keeping her trap shut when it would have taken her ten minutes to explain what was going on with her. But she had a magical dress that was pretty darned cool.
Maddux
There are so many things I want to say about this whole series, but I seriously doubt I could communicate them here. Too many thoughts to sort out.

I'll try.

I absolutely love this series. I love Lowell's writing. She creates awesome characters. Her story line is ethereal.

The only disappointment I have is that Erik of Sea Home does not get his own book. According to HeroesAndHeartbreakers.com...

Also, at the end of this book, Lowell put in a blurb about why she writes Medieval stories. That blur
Dawn Livingston
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, my-favorites
As enjoyable as the previous two books in the trilogy. Enjoyable fluff with better than usual characters and story. But I wonder if there was meant to be a fourth book.

Dominic, Duncan and Simon are the obvious heroes for the books, but Erik seems like he should have been the hero in a book of his own. I would have liked to read it. Oh well.
Eastofoz
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, medieval
Tear jerker. Story that stays with you even after you've finished reading. Makes you wish it didn't end :(
Irene
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I see that I really loved the first book in the series, but this one I so did not! (view spoiler) ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
I've thoroughly enjoyed the entire medieval trilogy by Elizabeth Lowell, which started with Untamed, followed by Forbidden, and ending with this book, Enchanted. Though they were, in some ways, a bit predictable, they were also quite satisfying in their conclusions.

I'm very sad that she has no plans for more medieval stories, but I do plan on reading more of her works.

Though each of her books can be read alone, I do highly suggest reading the entire trilogy in order.
Hasnamezied
Wow Great read . Simon The loyal unconditionally loves his brother Dominic and he would do anything to ensure the peace in the area even to marry a woman (Ariane The betrayed ) he doesnt love at all. But it wasnt the case, in the previouse book it was clear that he adores Ariane by taking care of her. In this book , it showed the development of their relationship. I loved Ariane's character alot,she was betrayed by many men in her life but at the end she was able to love Simon like no one else.A ...more
Rohini Gupta
May 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
i think the writer got confused if she should target middle school romantics or erotica adults and ended up making a bad messy novel with too many sword seath references and couples cooing at each other every time they saw or talked to each other. Other 2 book are bad but this is worst of the lot. I am not even sure why i kept reading after guys calling their wives names like "little falcon" in first book, "amber witch" in second and to top it all "little nightingale" in the third one. I am a ho ...more
KatieV
Meh... it wasn't horrible, but I ended up scanning quite a bit. I think the last two novels in the medieval series had too many similarities to the first one (Untamed). How many friggin' stone circle scenes do we need?
Claudine
I read this book a long time ago, and I remember it being a far better book than it actually was.

Ariane and Simon are forced into a marriage of convenience when Duncan, her intended fiancé, marries Amber in Forbidden. Simon offers himself because he wants to avoid a war with Ariane's father, and also because he doesn't think it much of a sacrifice.

Ariane agrees, but she doesnt want to marry anyone. As it turns out, she was raped several months earlier by her former fiancé, and he told her fath
Shirlene
Arrangements had been made for Ariane the Betrayed to marry Simon the Loyal. Seeing him made her feel strange inside but she was also frightened of what would happen once he found out that she wasn't a virgin. Geoffrey the Fair had drugged and raped her months before this her wedding day. She wanted no man and her emotions were displayed through the sad songs she played on her harp. She was called the Betrayed because others had seen the result of her behavior. They didn't know what had happened ...more
Rose
Be forewarned, this is NOT a book you can read as a stand-alone. I made the mistake of reading the first in this series and unknowingly skipping the second to read the third. Boy, what a difference one book makes. Where "Untamed" had an element of magic an mystery, I felt it was still somewhat grounded in reality. "Enchanted" seemed as if the author was trying too hard and she overtook the boundaries of that magical element so that the end result was a book that was completely unbelievable to me ...more
Maya
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I made the mistake of skipping book 2 in the series but I still found this book to be very enjoyable. The vulnerabilities of both the main characters made the story complex and interesting. I also loved the magical aspects of the storyline. It's been a while since I've read multiple chapters of any book in one sitting but that was the case this time.

As a quick side note, the author's note at the end of the book explaining why she is now writing medieval romances was really amazing and I was in
penelopewanders
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was lent to me by annadlx as part of a sort of Elizabeth Lowell sampler. Although I had read Untamed a while ago, I am not always into medieval stories, but when they are well-written (such as those by Madeline Hunter, in my opinion), they are great. I enjoyed the mixture of history and magic in this tale, and found the characters credible and moving.
Kbee
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like Elizabeth Lowell.This book was a bit suprising. Having read the first in the serie thought it would be similar but it as a lot more fantasy(people and animals with special abilities that she calls Learned)not my fancy.
But she does real good stories.And because she is who she is can't go below 4 stars.
linda
Mar 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
This was definitely a trainwreck book. I won't say I didn't enjoy it, because obviously I finished it, but it was a sort of perverse curiosity enjoyment. This is the sort of romance novel people who hate romance novels indicate to argue their point about it being a blighted genre.
Leah
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I am so glad that I picked up this series to re-read after all these years. Perfect ending to the series with this one! I hope someday she goes back and picks up again with some of the other characters. I sure would buy them!
Lian Tanner
Hmm, not sure how to describe this one. Purple prose. Medieval fantasy. Lots of lust and a bit of magic. Not dreadful, but the prose is a bit too over-heated for my taste. Maybe I'll try another one - not sure.
Carol
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval
Simon the Loyal and Ariane the Betrayed
Sandy
3.5 I enjoyed most of the story, and I was able to follow along despite not having read the first two books. (view spoiler) ...more
Kei
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 英語-english
Confusing writing. Annoying characters. Triggery content. Story elements that make very little sense.
Featuring a woman who was raped a betrayed by everyone, than married and misunderstood by her new husband about her past in various ways for the duration of the whole book; super convenient magic dress; weird healing coma and weird woman who instructed the husband to rub medicine onto the whole body of an unconscious above-mentioned woman 3 times a day practically forcing him to rape her again; p
Judy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have now finished this trilogy of books, set in Medieval times. Each book has held my attention like almost no other book has. I wish there were more set in this time. I understand all her other books are set in the now, but I need to look for something that tells me in what order her books were written and if there are any others written in this genre. I am entranced with the way of life and the nuances of the magic people believed in and practiced. I feel a kinship with this time, that place ...more
Amber Skantz
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lowell did a nice job setting this up so that I didn't feel lost, despite having not read the others in the series. I do plan on reading those, as I'm curious about the backstories of the other characters. I didn't expect to feel focused on Simon as the main character, as I expect the main character to be female, especially in this genre, but he felt to me more like the main character, perhaps because of Ariana's focus on him. She felt very much like a secondary or supporting character, which pr ...more
Holly
I think I read this book a long time ago and liked it. I did a re read and thought it a little strange. I love the abused heroine theme. However, this one was weird. I agree with another reviewer who thought it weird and not heroic when the hero takes liberties with an unconscious heroine. That turned my stomach and then I just skimmed to the end. What are some well done abused heroine books... along the lines of Blue Eyed Devil, Devil in Winter, Ride the Fire... respectively by Kleypas , Kleypa ...more
Latoya
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, audiobook
I read this book years ago and there were some elements of the story I always remembered. That is a testament to how much I enjoyed it.
The second time around, I will admit to being a bit annoyed with the way Arrianne delayed sharing vital information that affected her relationship with Simon. Nevertheless the author brought together all the characters from the previous books in the series and created an entertaining conclusion. Its too bad that Erik does not seem to get his own story.
Jessica
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I found this book to be a bit sad for it showed how badly women were treated in those days. It was a bit hard for me for I've been abused before, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to "trigger" anything. Though I'm sure it might for some people, so I would be a bit careful if you are wanting to read this.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • Come Back to Me (Viking & Saxon, #3)
  • Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3)
  • By Design (Medieval #2)
  • Lord of Hawkfell Island (Viking, #2)
  • The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2)
  • The Lily and the Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • Wulfson (Blood Sword Legacy Book 2)
  • The Conqueror (deWarenne Dynasty, #1)
  • Taming the Wolf (de Burgh, #1)
  • The Overlord's Bride (Warrior, #13)
  • A Knight's Honor
  • Bold Angel
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more

Medieval (3 books)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)
“The sacred rowan is a woman born long, long ago, a woman whose refusal to see love cost first her lover's life, then the lives of her family, her clan, her people.
But not her own life. Not quite.
In pity and punishment she was turned into an undying tree, a rowan that weeps only in the presence of transcendent love; and the tears of the rowan are blossoms that confer extraordinary grace upon those who can see them.
When enough tears are wept, the rowan will be free. She waits inside a sacred ring that can be neither weighed or measured nor touched. She waits for love that is worth her tears.
The rowan is waiting still.”
4 likes
“You may hold my tears and live as you did before, trusting your soul to no one. Or you may release my tears and accept what comes.” 3 likes