Start by marking “Untamed (Medieval, #1)” as Want to Read:
Untamed (Medieval, #1)

Untamed

(Medieval #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6,683 ratings  ·  245 reviews
A hero of the crusades, Dominic le Sabre has returned to Scotland in glory and triumph to claim his reward: the beautiful Saxon bride awarded to him as conqueror king. But Lady Margaret of Blackthorne cannot yield to the bold Norman invader.

The beloved daughter of a sacred tribe of Celtic mystics, she fears an ancient curse that could bring further turmoil to her
Published March 1st 1993 by Avon (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Untamed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untamed

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Untamed (Medieval, #1)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
11/15/15: Re-read... I can't sleep and I'm in the mood for some sappy and magical medieval romance...gonna start with one of my old school favorite series...from back when I was in middle school...in the effin 90's.

A Classic Medieval Favorite, This One Never Gets Old

Meg

Dominic

description

“I will not let you go,” Dominic said harshly.

“Don’t worry, Glendruid Wolf. The people will accept you. Blackthorne is yours for as long as you live. Nothing can change that now”.

“Without you, the land and the people
Susan Phillips
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-reads
An old fashioned, non-p.c., historical romance. One of my favorites. Some readers got their knickers in a knot because our hero forces the heroine to wear bells, but it’s a Medieval romance, and I thought it was sublimely perfect.
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
*Discretion advised as has major spoilers!*

My take on the story...
A hero of the crusades, Dominic le Sabre has returned to Scotland in glory and triumph to claim his reward from the King -a beautiful Saxon bride with a dowry of vast lands.
But Lady Margaret of Blackthorne, descendent from a long line of sacred female Celtic mystics, the Glendruids, fears an ancient curse that could bring further turmoil to her battle-scarred land...and sorrow to her marriage bed.

Now our H hungers for two things
Stacey is Sassy
A wee bit too realistic...

I admit...I'm hard to please when it comes to reading/listening to a medieval romance. I like them to be realistic...sort of. Unfortunately, I'm one of those pesky romance readers who need some of the realities to be left out. I like the castles, 'Knights in Shining Armour', sweet and virtuous maidens, and descriptions of their dress and surroundings. I don't like the chauvinistic attitudes, infidelities as "due" to their station, and complete disregard to people of a
Penny Watson
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the wonderful members of the newly formed Romance Forum Refugee group at Goodreads, I have a huge new list of romance novels with bearded heroes! Dark beards! Blond beards! Dark staches, too! Yee haw!!!!!!!

And thanks to their recommendations, I discovered a new-to-me romance writer who appears to love beards as much as I do. All of her heroes are hairy! Beards, staches, nice furry chests.....yowzah! I am now the official #1, A++ Fan Of Elizabeth Lowell. Where have you been all my life,
Bark
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
The book starts out with the pending marriage of Lady Margaret (Meg) & returning Crusader Dominic le Sabra. Neither have laid eyes on the other before but are both willing to go along with the prearranged marriage. Meg accepts this as her fate (although she is by no means a wimp) & Dominic wants to claim the castle & lands that come along with Meg and begin working on making himself some heirs. Only problem is that Meg happens to be one of the cursed Glendruid (white) witches that ...more
Lydia's Romance
4.5 'Old School & Untamed' Stars

Medieval Romance with a touch of Magic
Arranged Marriage
Slow-Burn

"There is no more powerful magic than the generous heart and untamed soul of love."

My buddy, Chanel, recommended this one because she knows I'm a huge fan of Judith McNaught and thought this would be a perfect fit for me. She was right! This story was everything I look for in an old-school, historical romance<3

Returning home triumphant from the Crusades, Dominic le Sabre is determined to claim
Regan Walker
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Great Medieval with Falconry-- Simply Superb!

UNTAMED was my first romance by Elizabeth Lowell and since then, I’ve read many more of hers. It won the RITA Award and deservedly. Her writing is wonderful; her period setting excellent; and her storytelling is full of action and adventure, natural sexual tension and conflict that is not scary, contrived or over the top but rather, very believable.

Set in the early 12th century, it is the story of Lady Margaret of Blackthorne, a Glendruid "witch"
תניה
Dec 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-no-star
Bought for 0.10 at Salvation Army Walworth Rd, London

This has been my not-quite-first bodice ripper. I have learnt from a friend that these sort of books are the equivalent of bike training wheels. Fortunately for me, these sorts of books were not mine.

To explain why I even picked up my first "bodice ripper":
1. When I returned to Copenhagen after the summer, I felt book withdrawal, went out and bought a book about the history of romance novels, because it was one of cheapest books there (books
TJ
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5/5.0

Reading any novel set in the medieval era, when a woman was considered less than a man's animals and whose only value was all too often only for breeding purposes, is always somewhat hard even as it is interesting. In "Untamed", Lowell has done an admirable job of allowing those realities to come through, showing the hardships inflicted on a female while keeping the "romance" aspect from getting mired in the bogs of offense.

Lady Margaret comes from a long line of Celtic mystics and has
Victoria
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Just finished reading this book. I started reading it because it was recommended as an historical novel of the romance brand. I enjoy those kinds of novels and I enjoy learning about the period history. However, this novel lacked in that area. The first few chapters were of knights and ladies and I found it intrigueing. But as the novel wore on it was more about the knight / hero of the novel trying to get into the pants of his wife / heroine from an arranged marriage. At points, it errupted ...more
Naksed
I was excited to read a medieval romance by a new to me, much lauded author. Unfortunately, I was bored and annoyed and finally gave up about three quarters through. At first, I thought the metaphor of the hero taming the heroine as he would a wild, beautiful falcon was cute and dreamy. But they take things so far that I started wondering if he had a bird fetish. Feeding each other from the hand, spitting liquids into each other's mouth (yuck), even outfitting damsel and bird in the same jingly ...more
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

Well I had heard it was cheesy and I was not disappointed. Way over the top, full of all the purple prose and lots and lots of eye rolling. I loved it. I'm finding the world very difficult at the moment so I need to read things that make me happy. Those things are usually books that are way over the top, full of all the purple prose and lots and lots of eye rolling.

Hasnamezied
Wow this is my first Medieval historical romance ,and it was Great. I fell in love with all the characters especially Meg and Dominic. Even though I noticed A Historical Error because at the time of the Crusaders, the Middle East was under the rule of Al-Abassi Caliph , Then Al- Mamalik time, Not the Turkish one.
Any way, it is really Superb.
J.R. Ward
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In love with this series...
Lady of the Lake
This is a romance, and it had the running theme of "my tiny falcon" and if you are not one to tolerate cutsie mushy prose than stay away from this story as it is a CONSTANT theme thrughout the ENTIRE story. I go in to these sorts of romances expecting such a thing. But even I was hard pressed not to roll my eyes and and groan when for the fiftieth time our romantic hero called his lady his litlle falcon and tied bells to her hair and wrists and legs locking her away as he did with his falcon in ...more
Melanie
I really enjoyed this book, but, OMG, I felt like smacking Dominic with all his talk of land and sons!!! At points he was utterly unlikeable.. Actually, till the moment where he hauls her onto his horse after she gathered herbs... And his distrust of Meg was seiously getting on my nerves!!!

I loved Meg however, and although she was a bit to complacent for my tastes, that was explainable by the fact that everything she did was for the good of her people.

I found the story intriguing and sweet,
Angela~supermom~
Oh oh oh oh this was SO beautiful. I cried from its beauty. Beautifully written. Beautifully told. Full of beautiful love.

That is all.
Pam Pagoso Meneses
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I normally steer clear of the historical romance genre in general, but this one came highly recommended by a friend. So I gave it a whirl, and was not disapponted. The romance scenes were steamy, dialogues were engaging, the history aspect was on point, and the conflict/twist was unexpected.
Katherine
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was an enjoyable read. A good read for a lazy afternoon. I’m sure I would have enjoyed this book -and the hero - much more, if I hadn’t read Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks right before reading this. The kindness, the gentleness and the strength of character in Maya Banks’ hero, kinda eclipsed this one for me.
Elaine
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I had a hard time with this one in the beginning. It just didn't draw me in as much as I hoped it would. It did pick up and get more interesting as it went but a little too late for higher rating. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me in the beginning. Also I think it was a little long winded - it could have easily be a hundred pages shorter (or at least 50). And I really didn't like the continual references to falcons. At first it was nice and interesting, but then it got repetitive and then I ...more
SheriC (PM)
This started out well, but by page 100 had descended into silliness, full of spitefully jealous women and hypermasculine, brutish men. I really don't find murderous jealousy and controlling possessiveness very sexy. But I do love the idea of the Glendruid witch/clan/curse. That was really a lot of fun.

I'm giving it 3 stars mostly out of nostalgia, and in homage to my younger self that enjoyed this book at a time when I was just discovering the Romance genre had a subcategory of
Julz
Anne Flosnik narrated this. She rocks! The story itself was ok but average. Slight touch of fantasy with white witches (who deny it.) The words "small falcon" and "nests" were mentioned so often I was put to mind of National Geographic. Lovers of big sappy bows will adore this one.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A weak story with unlikable characters.
Janja
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great, a bit mystical story. Can't wait for the next one.
Lori Long
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

This is a wonderful old-school story! I am so glad I found it in my tbr list! I love the descriptions and old-school innuendos.
Darbella
Shannon
Rating: Rent it...one time read.

First Line: The sound of a war horn sliced through the day, announcing the coming of Blackthorne Keep's new lord.

So, after reading the romantically disappointing Sizzle, I was in the mood for some real romance. I turned to Elizabeth Lowell, an old standby, and Untamed, a novel I have read multiple times since first picking it up in high school. Elizabeth Lowell is another romance author who's career I have followed. When I was younger I really enjoyed her
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Unabridged audiobook format - review written for Speaking of Audiobooks How We Listen Column 10/09/09:

Anne Flosnik’s lovely voice was striking and drew me in immediately but her narration lacked the necessary speech variation for many of the secondary characters. However, the heroine’s beautifully accented voice was completely distinguishable from the hero’s almost husky monotone and sometimes that’s all that counts in a romance audiobook. Recalling that Untamed was one of my favorite historical
Georgina Penney
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I first discovered (Anne Maxwell writing as) Elizabeth Lowell’s historical romances in my early teens, which probably explains why I have such a soft spot for her now. If you’re looking for big blowsy melodramatic historical romances featuring love that cannot happen but must, well this is the author for you. She wrote three main historical series in the nineties and “Untamed,” a medieval corker set in the north of England, is the first of three.

So here’s the deal, Dominic Le Sabre (The SWORD)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's the Name o...: Historical romance; he tames her like a falcon? [s] 6 50 Jul 08, 2013 09:07AM

• The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Honor's Splendour
  • Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Hearts Aflame (Haardrad Viking Family, #2)
  • The Hawk and the Dove
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Promise of the Rose (deWarenne Dynasty, #2)
  • Enslaved
  • Fires of Winter (Haardrad Viking Family, #1)
  • Gentle Warrior
  • The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1)
  • The Prize
  • Prisoner of My Desire
  • Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights #1)
  • Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • Man of My Dreams (Sherring Cross, #1)
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more

Medieval (3 books)
  • Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)
  • Enchanted (Medieval, #3)
“only the most hardy of living things survive renewal.” 0 likes