Start by marking “An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)

An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery #6)

Packed with suspense, science and lots of gold, Sarah Andrews' sixth novel takes us from the eagles' domain high over the American West right down into the depths of the earth itself.

Like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes, Andrews' engaging heroine, forensic geologist Emily Hansen, uses geological clues to solve crimes. Now, fresh from extricating herself-just barely-from susp
Published December 9th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about An Eye for Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Eye for Gold

Déjà Dead by Kathy ReichsThe Bone Collector by Jeffery DeaverPostmortem by Patricia CornwellBare Bones by Kathy ReichsDeath du Jour by Kathy Reichs
Forensic Fiction
118 books — 107 voters
Love and Other Games by Ana BlazeThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Silver Chair by C.S. LewisProdigal Summer by Barbara KingsolverThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Olympic Titles
180 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristi
Oct 17, 2013 Kristi rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book of the series as much as I have the previous titles. The first half or so was weighed down with a lot of technical information and introspection of the main character. There was a mystery from the get go, but it was overshadowed by Em trying to figure herself out. The second half got better, but by then I was already slightly soured by the book. I wouldn't necessarily recommend skipping it if you are reading the entire series as there were some pivotal character develop ...more
Sharon Jacksack
Jan 16, 2014 Sharon Jacksack rated it liked it
A bit of a slog in the beginning as we have to deal with the relationship stuff, but once that is out of the way, the mystery is a lot of fun.
Robert Enzenauer
Jun 02, 2017 Robert Enzenauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book. It is the first Em Hansen Mystery for me. The author was recommended to me by a colleague from college who is also a PhD geologist. The protagonist - a female geologist is very likeable. The story is interesting and the plot is well developed. I read a hardback edition, so no issues with poor formatting etc on a Kindle. As a former nuclear engineer, I really enjoyed the scientific descriptions of geology specific to gold. Also living in Colorado, I enjoyed the western locale. I ...more
Robert Enzenauer
Jun 02, 2017 Robert Enzenauer rated it really liked it
Emily Schnabl
Jan 01, 2015 Emily Schnabl rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I was going to give this three stars but moved it to four stars closer to the end as strands get pulled together. Em's friendship with Faye is a nice new dimension for Em's character, which can become a little one-note. (I have sympathies for Em but sometimes you wonder how she functions at all in society).
Unwisely
Nov 11, 2009 Unwisely rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2009
This was exactly as terrible as every other review said. I mostly read it to fill in the gap, because I read some of them out of order. But....not only was this awful, I determined that there is *another* book I missed. *sigh*

Perhaps this would be an excellent case study of "how much technical information can be awkwardly shoe-horned into dialogue", but otherwise I can't recommend it.
scherzo♫
Apr 22, 2013 scherzo♫ rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Awkward, clunky dialogue stuffed with unnecessary, huge chunks of technical data; too many smarmy and non-smarmy men drooling over main character; average story gets lost in author's proselytizing agenda.
Kirsten
Mar 04, 2015 Kirsten rated it liked it
Maybe it's because I've been reading these out of order (and I know what comes after), maybe it's because I've read too many of these books, or maybe it's because I really REALLY hate Ray and don't give a crap about their desperate relationship, but this book wasn't as fun as the others.
John Rasmussen
Aug 09, 2013 John Rasmussen rated it really liked it
a rather interesting story, written by a geologist and it features geology as the background of the heroine. for me a distraction is the author explaining basic geologic interpretation processes as part of the story line.
Andy Plonka
Apr 02, 2014 Andy Plonka rated it it was amazing
I read this one when it first came out and didn't like it much. I guess my tastes have changed or I've become a better reader and more eager to learn about things of which I am totally ignorant, like gold mining.
Jess
May 28, 2014 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Definitely not one of her best books.
Sandybear76
Nevada, gold mines, desert sands, Em trying to decide what to do
Jillian
Nov 28, 2011 Jillian rated it it was ok
Shelves: grown-up-gems
Too many characters with not enough information to build on the plot. SOme characters were more developed than others.
Katharine Ott
"An Eye for Gold" - written by Sarah Andrews and published in 2000 by Minotaur Books. A quite boring geological mystery.
Samira
Jan 26, 2009 Samira rated it it was ok
I have misplaced the book and simply did not find it compelling enough to complete. Or to look for all that hard. If it turns up, I will probably finish it, if not, not.
Ayelet
Nov 15, 2011 Ayelet rated it liked it
Em is getting a little tiring and less plausible as time goes on.
Zora
May 13, 2014 Zora marked it as couldnt-get-into
So irksome in the first three pages, I would have kicked it across the room several times had it not been a library book.
Eunira
Jun 14, 2009 Eunira added it
Found this unexpectdly at Estante Virtual.
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Jonquil
Jonquil rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Eola
Eola rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Janessa Baldina
Janessa Baldina rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Loretta Micheals
Loretta Micheals rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Mike Sonleitner
Mike Sonleitner rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Rainyday
Rainyday rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Kd Easley
Kd Easley rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2010
Madeliene
Madeliene rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2011
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
May 07, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Access Denied (Turing Hopper, #3)
  • Tell Me No Spies (Never Say Spy, #4)
  • Digital Divide (Rachel Peng, #1)
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • Sequence
  • Caught Dead Handed (Witch City Mystery, #1)
  • Glare Ice (Claire Watkins, #3)
  • Soul Bonds (Circles of Light)
  • The Doctor Digs a Grave (Dr. Fenimore, #1)
  • Children of the Shaman
  • Buried Diamonds (Claire Montrose, #4)
Sarah Andrews is a geologist who writes mystery novels about a geologist.

She currently lives in northern California and invests her free time on community pursuits and flying, skiing, and sailing with her husband and son.

More about Sarah Andrews...

Em Hansen Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • A Fall in Denver (Em Hansen Mystery, #2)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Only Flesh and Bones (Em Hansen Mystery, #4)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Earth Colors (Em Hansen Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Rock Bottom