Start by marking “Peculiar Treasures” as Want to Read:
Peculiar Treasures

Peculiar Treasures

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In this second book of his popular lexical trilogy, Frederick Buechner profiles more than 125 of the Bible's most holy and profane people -- and one whale. In his lively and witty prose, Buechner brings to life such moments from scripture as:

Adam's pangs of regret for a remembered Eden

Delilah's last glimpse of Samson as they dragged him away

Lazarus's first impressions upon
Published September 30th 1993 by HarperOne (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Peculiar Treasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peculiar Treasures

Derek Emerson
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Nobody claims there's a chuckle on every page, but laughter's what the whole Bible is really about. -- Frederick Buechner

As a Christian I'm as dismayed as many at the lack of joy we sometimes find in our own faith. As a Catholic living in a Reformed Church of America community, I'm fully aware of the sinfulness of all of us. I was raised in a Protestant church (Methodist) which was light on sin, but far too serious for a growing boy. As a Catholic I found joy in the Mass, but cannot deny it was
Keith Uffman
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Webster Goodreads Wine and Cheese Book Club will meet Sunday, July 16, 2017 at the home of the Uffman, 6:30-8:30 PM. If you do not have time to read the book, come anyway. The discussion is what makes a book club work anyway. We will have prepared a sheet with some thoughtful quotes that ought to trigger conversation.

Invite a friend. Those SBNRs (Spiritual But Not Religious) may not sit in the pews but the ones I know are spiritually quizzical!
Laysee
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I consider "Peculiar Treasures" one of Buechner's best works. It is an impressive and comprehensive list of Who's Who in the Bible. Arranged alphabetically from A-Z are the life stories of all the Biblical characters and one whale. I read a handful each night and dawdled over those I especially enjoy. Each life story is a sweet offering of spiritual insight.

The characters are recast imaginatively while the content remains faithful to Scripture. A few that are given a modern day spin and cleverl
Kristi
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
That may be one of the loveliest things I’ve ever read. And I’m not talking religious pie-in-the-sky happy-clappy because if you know me then you know that I can’t stand that stuff. This book was sarcastic and irreverent and funny and poignant and it hits my heart with truth so strong that it makes me laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time. Finally, a commentary of Biblical characters written with humor and a clear eye. Buechner refuses to paint these men and women as anything else but men an ...more
Ryan Greer
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Buechner is one of my favorite authors ever, and Telling the Truth is one of my top books of all time, so understand that he's being held to a higher standard here.

With that said, I didn't hate Peculiar Treasures but was certainly expecting something different. I would highly recommend this book to someone who is unfamiliar with many of the characters and narratives found throughout the bible and who is interested in getting a more unique glimpse into their worlds, but after reading through the
Tom
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable account of various people in the Bible. I felt it was an easy to read, informative, clever, humorous but not heretical description of well known and lesser known peoples in the Scriptures. By writing in an "up to date" style, the author does not diminish the messages contained in the Bible.
Bruce
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another alphabet book by Frederick Buechner, this one a run down of biblical figures, many familiar but some entirely unfamiliar. Typically for Buechner, he puts flesh on their bones, turning them into people easy to relate to, often with humor and a generous dose of empathy. Sometimes the humor seems a bit strained, but overall an enjoyable Bible story book for grown-ups.
Christy
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This book is such a fun look at some of the characters in the Bible....I read it quite quickly and laughed and just enjoyed a different glimpse into the Word. Will be writing a review for my book blog for My Friend Amy's Frederick Buechner week!
Alex Stroshine
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Classic Buechner. Some theological provocation and irreverence but a lot of good stuff here, especially the Hosea entry. Buechner paints biblical characters in a contemporary light (though more contemporary to the 1960s and 1970s than the 2000s). A fun little read.
Mark
Sep 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
A wonderful introduction to this most inventive and insightful Christian writer. It's also a great way to get a feel for the Bible through its memorable characters, if you're not up to tackling the "original" itself.
Jakki
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Those interested in Bible Stories - Teachers, Pastors or regular folk
Shelves: reference-books
Would be a fun book to use for changing up a Sunday School lesson on Bible Characters. Author's updated, sometimes silly descriptions made me laugh and think about how these Bible stories might play out today.
Jim
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is great fun, and really let me seek out a bunch of the Old Testament characters I'm not familiar with. Buechner's other books I've such as Godric, focus on one person. These witty re-tells of Biblical stories are great.

Lynne
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Riotously humorous, many times serious. Just reading about these biblical characters helps bring their appearance in Bible stories to life...

Many of these could be used as the basis of a sermon/homily...these characters are not so very different than people we know (including ourselves).
Geoffrey Kerns
May 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Somewhat funny.
Abigail Olsen
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A delightful book that tells the story of characters of the Bible. A helpful and fun read for readers with any level of knowledge of the Biblical story.
Jody
Mar 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Preaching Life
  • Journey to the Common Good
  • The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C. S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles
  • The Kingdom of God: The Biblical Concept & Its Meaning for the Church
  • Practice Resurrection: A Conversation on Growing Up in Christ (Spiritual Theology #5)
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • The Oxford Companion to the Bible (Oxford Companions)
  • Texts of Terror: Literary-Feminist Readings of Biblical Narratives
  • The Kingdom New Testament: A Contemporary Translation
  • The First Paul: Reclaiming the Radical Visionary Behind the Church’s Conservative Icon
  • A Biblical History of Israel
  • Shaped by the Word: The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation
  • Process Theology
  • The Powers That Be: Theology for a New Millennium
19982
Frederick Buechner is a highly influential writer and theologian who has won awards for his poetry, short stories, novels and theological writings. His work pioneered the genre of spiritual memoir, laying the groundwork for writers such as Anne Lamott, Rob Bell and Lauren Winner.

His first book, A Long Day's Dying, was published to acclaim just two years after he graduated from Princeton. He entere
More about Frederick Buechner...

“Matthew lists Rahab as one of the ancestresses of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:5), and that may be one reason why there was something about free-wheeling ladies with warm and generous hearts that he was never quite able to resist.” 4 likes
“Lying to God is like sawing the branch you're sitting on. The better you do it, the harder you fall.” 1 likes