Start by marking “The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance” as Want to Read:

The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance by Tony Schwartz, Jean Gomes, Catherine McCarthy (2010) Hardcover
Published May 18th 2010 by Free Press (first published 2010)

Cathy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written for the corporate world, so I had to adapt it to my very un-corporate life. Some of it just didn't apply to me, but there was some excellent information that really helped me. I LOVED the idea of periods of work mixed with periods of rest and renewal. And now I am going to go take a well-deserved nap :).
Nathanael Coyne
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nathanael by: Clare
This book makes so much sense - it's frustrating that these principles aren't understood widely and incorporated into our lives and culture. The concept is actually similar to another book I recently read - Mood Mapping - where various states are explained in four-quadrant graphs. Physical, emotional, attention and focus.

A recurring theme in the book is the idea of waves, the need to oscillate from intense states of exercise or productivity to "recovery" states of rest, relaxation and big-pictur
Федор Кривов
Динамичное сочетание напряженной работы и процесса восполнения энергии позволяет удовлетворять наши насущные потребности: жизнеспособность, безопасность, самовыражение и значимость. Лишь в этом случае мы улучшаем результаты изо дня в день.
Институт Гэллапа пришел к заключению, что единственным и наиболее важным показателем того, будут ли сотрудники продолжать работать в компании, является качество взаимоотношений с их непосредственным руководителем.
«Невозможно описать все с точки зрения науки,
Florin Grigoriu
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book, describing inner needs to excel. From physical needs(which were pretty un-exciting to read) to the emotional and spiritual , which is the part this book excel.
I Listened this book twice , guess I really liked it :-)
Uwe Hook
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Generally, I record my book reviews on Goodreads but this book by Tony Schwartz was so close to the core mission of BatesHook that I wanted to share it with a wier audience.

The basic premise of the book is: The furious activity to accomplish more with less exacts a series of silent costs: less capacity for focused attention, less time for any given task, and less opportunity to think reflectively and long term."

Below are a few of the big ideas that resonated with me:

" Rather than trying to get m
Sean Goh
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
No career automatically provides a purpose, but no job precludes our finding a purpose in it either. It isn't the role we fill that prompts a sense of purpose but how we choose to approach whatever work we do.

The bigger the reservoir of value of value and well-being, the less emotionally vulnerable we are to everyday challenges.
Our core mental need is self-expression, the freedom to put our unique skills and talents to effective use in the world.

Selflessness can be as, if not more costly than s
Christina Lear
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is designed as a self-help style book for corporate people who are burnt out. Not something I would normally pick up since I don't work in the corporate sector, but I think that the theoretical base of this book is really important for ALL people in our busy, stressed-out culture. I would definitely recommend you read this book if you feel overwhelmed or unsatisfied in your current work life.

Basically, Schwartz argues that we don't work in ways that allow us to be our most creative or effe
Karen
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
This is a very helpful book. Not that anything he says is revolutionary, but he does bring it together in way that makes you think. He covers everything from taking breaks at work, to eating right, to exercising and a myriad of other factors that sap our energy and make us less of the person we want to be. His basic premise is that because we think we need to work harder and longer hours, we are not actually doing good work anymore. He talks about the work he has done with many big corporations, ...more
Farah Putrizeti
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In Be Excellent At Anything, Tony Schwartz along with Jean Gomes & Catherine McCarthy points out the flaw in our way of working. In this era of high demand, people often work like a machine until they absolutely burn out (physically and emotionally). This book argues about how people are not designed to work at high speeds, continuously, for long periods of time. Instead, people are designed to spending energy and renewing energy constantly in a span of the day. A concept that often forgets ...more
Cara
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, life
This book seems to be _The Power of Full Engagement_ all over again. I'd be hard-pressed to identify any differences. But, since I "read" that one on audio, I never felt like I fully absorbed it, so I've been meaning to read it again anyway.

The premise is simple: instead of rushing around frantically and/or making ourselves sit at our desks longer in attempt to get more done, we need to get more efficient. That happens by working in sprints followed by breaks; getting enough sleep; eating well;
Megan
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read if you are a manager or hold a leadership position in your job. The book is written by three folks who founded the Energy Project, which works with larger companies to change their cultures in order to create happier and more effective employees. The book is broken into the four needs of employees - physical, emotional, mental, spiritual. They believe that happy and healthy employees = more productivity = more money/success for the company. They have had some big cli ...more
Derek Winterburn
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a 'summary of the field' of current thinking about productivity and management. In some senses it takes the ideas of a book like '7 Habits of Highly Effective People' and applies them to the corporate and organisation worlds.

The authors take each of e.g. Covey's 'Four Human Needs' and think of them as sources of energy (Physical/Sustainabiity, Emotional/Security, Mental/Self-expression and Spiritual/significance.) The book then becomes an exploration of how an individual in an organisat
David
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As homework assignments go it's just all right. As homework assignments for a leadership work-group it's pretty good. It is an interesting study in the good and bad ways we depleate and renew our energy reserves... and I have to say, "holy bad habits, Batman," there is a ton of stuff we do to ourselves that is just down right self-destructive. It is an eye-opening look at how our lives can be leveraged toward greater success if we just understand that the difficulties we face draw upon a single ...more
Beth Cain
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought that this was a good summary of the different aspects of yourself that you need to balance to maintain a sense of well-being: rest, exercise, nutrition, meaning, challenge, emotional safety, etc. I was completely pulled in to the argument of living a balanced life in order to be more productive.

"I want to take a walk right now and the exercise will help me get more done after than I would've without it."

However, I read an article in NYT that discussed how bizarre it is that Americans
Jamie Doerschuck
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish, self
DOes the book have a lot of useful information? Yes. But the way it's presented is long winded, repetitive, and annoying. I got approximately 61% of the way through the book (according to Kindle), and I just couldn't take anymore.

There's nothing wrong with the book, I just can't stand the author's writing style.
Calin Biris
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
o carte foarte bună despre priorităţi, eficienţă şi dezvoltarea personală şi profesională
Ahmad Moshrif
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Too many things in one book, without talking strictly about the way we are working !!

good but not a great book!
Lynn Ellison
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I frequently recommend this book, even though I haven't been able to implement the techniques.
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly appreciated the wealth of wisdom, research and concepts that went into this book. Though it was directed toward a corporate entity, I could readily apply the same concepts toward my family and other spheres of involvement. These concepts were most helpful:
1) The relentless urgency that characterizes our life undermines deliberation, creativity, engagement, and sustainable high performance.
2) Human beings are designed to pulse between the expenditure and the intermittent renewal of ene
Claire
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: od
Not everything in this book is revolutionary, but this book does bring some fundamental topics together and frame them in a good way that is easy for everyone to read. There are so many 'meat' to digest in this book and it is difficult to integrate them at one set. The biggest take-away for me after reading this book is that I have a framework to understand how corporate can support its people to make them more energetic and work better from working on four aspects - physical, emotional, mental, ...more
Cynthia Lorimor
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Information - I've lived it.

Physical/sustainability - Emotional/security - Mental/self-expression - Spiritual/significance...the four major needs and energies we ALL try to balance. This book successfully navigates how to work toward balance in all of these energies as an employee and an employer. Seems so easy, yet it is a great challenge. Most often the person who stands in our way is ourself. Great read. Well worth the time and energy.
Kris
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-development
A good read. I appreciate the chapter recaps toward the end to refresh. We spend too much time trying to do too many things at once. Multitasking zaps our energy and keeps us from fully engaging and learning. However, people will continue to do busy work, multitask and continue living in a way that is never whole, but anything less is not accepted in corporate business. It is an inspiring book and if you can put 10% of it to work for you it will make a difference.
Carol
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars...lots of great facts and helpful tips to motivate and sustain change...although at the same time, there wasn’t significant new content for me at this point in my career. Would highly recommend for someone a few years in to their career.
Dana Danielson
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had a lot of good insight for those of us who live a busy, stressful life where it feels as if we are just "getting through". While the book focuses on applications for businesses that want to adopt these ideas into their culture- I didn't find it difficult to translate those things into my personal life. I do work at a corporate job and can see the major benefits into bringing these ideas into a workplace as well.
Denys Sergushkin
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone and everyone. Mr. Schwartz puts life back into perspective then gives the reader the tools to empower their own unique and successful destiny.
Francis
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is year where I'm making a big push to thrive in all aspects in my life - and I'm just beyond delighted to have chanced upon this book. Tony Schwartz offers practical tips on how to best manage our personal and professional lives - substantiated with empirical evidence and case studies (through his work with companies such as Visa) - to really be able to excel at anything we set our minds on. There are solid action steps at the end of each chapter which is great for helping to crystallize a ...more
Jenny
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenny by: Schmeg
Shelves: nonfiction-read
Wow, great read! Examines workplace cultures and how to make them more sustainable. But it's written for a more corporate environment, or for folks who may not already believe in sustainability as a value in its own right. So it's filled with research on human behavior; the facts! A refreshing break from the more touchy-feely social worker stuff that's my more typical reading diet. Plus it's in small chunks, so easy to read if you only have a little time here and there for reading. Filled with s ...more
Debbie
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
According to Tony Schwartz, many of us are misdirected in the way we value the expenditure of energy - we tend to operate like machines, for long periods of time at high speeds. He contends that we are mistaken in the belief that investing more time, more continuously is the only way to get more done. He writes that we will be healthier and more effective, by learning to shift between energy expenditure and energy renewal, and he provides multiple, proven strategies to create the shift.

Mr. Schwa
Karen
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really resonated with me. My work culture expects employees to be responsive in real time. The pace has gotten faster, the line between home and work is increasingly blurred and "real time" responsiveness leaves little time for thoughtful execution. We react quickly to "keep things moving" and satisfy corporate goals. Looking at the quadrants Schwartz puts forth here, I can better visualize the impact of this pattern and what kinds of behaviors would help me personally. While his ideas are no lo ...more
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork. Start the Work That Matters.
  • The Power of Story : Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Co-Opetition
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
  • The Trusted Advisor
  • Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • 50 Prosperity Classics: Attract It, Create It, Manage It, Share It
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • Slack: Getting Past Burnout, Busywork, and the Myth of Total Efficiency
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • Workarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands in Your Way at Work
  • The Power of a Positive No: How to Say No and Still Get to Yes
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
Tony Schwartz is a journalist, business book author, professional speaker,and the ghostwriter and credited co-author of Trump: The Art of the Deal. He is the founder and head of the productivity consulting firm, The Energy Project.

“The range of what we think and do Is limited by what we fail to notice And because we fail to notice That we fail to notice There is little we can do To change Until we notice How failing to notice Shapes our thoughts and deeds.” 4 likes
“While working on The Last Supper, Leonardo da Vinci regularly took off from painting for several hours at a time and seemed to be daydreaming aimlessly. Urged by his patron, the prior of Santa Maria delle Grazie, to work more continuously, da Vinci is reported to have replied, immodestly but accurately, 'The greatest geniuses accomplish more when they work less.” 2 likes