Start by marking “The Case of the Frozen Hearts (Wilma Tenderfoot, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Frozen Hearts (Wilma Tenderfoot, #1)

The Case of the Frozen Hearts (Wilma Tenderfoot #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  406 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
"Nothing and nobody stops Wilma Tenderfoot!" (If she does say so herself.)

Published September 15th 2011 by Dial Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Frozen Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Frozen Hearts

Mia Prasetya
Suka! Covernya bagus! Ceritanya unik. Bukan sekedar cerita anak biasa, si Wilma yang pengen banget jadi detektif akhirnya bisa juga memecahkan kasus ada apa dengan jantung yang beku. Haghag. Menarik dan mudah-mudahan bakal dilanjutin buku berikutnya, penasaran akan asal usulnya Wilma.

Kenapa 4 bintang?
- covernya unik
- ada ilustrasi di dalamnya dan penggambarannya pas banget.
- tokohnya bodor dan rame
- Wilma ini loveable, pantang menyerah jadi pas bacanya ikutan semangat, go Wilma go!
Jay
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, kids, redrum
This is a lovely book, written in a very distinct, quasi-Lemony Snicket style. In this book, we read about Wilma Tenderfoot, an orphan with a detective streak. Through a series of events, she meets her idol, Theodore P. Goodman, who is a detective of Sherlock Holmes calibre.

The story itself is fun, an dark enough to give kids a thrill. It's very adorable, and the characters are lovable. There's a slight twist at the end that just adds an extra zinger to the novel.

This is a great book for kids-
Jan
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Goodreads win. Thank you. Had to read this immediately, as trip to grandchild coming up, and I know she will just love this book. Brilliant writing, funny, witty and a who dun-nit, as well as the mystery of an orphaned child, of which is still a mystery of "where did Wilma come from"? Wilma Tenderfoot is just that, a tenderfoot of detectives, a brilliant child who loves dogs and clues, and who dreams of life outside the orphanage. Wilma travels from orphanage to adventures, going into dark, gnar ...more
Brenda
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Wilma wants more then anything to be as good as her favorite detective Theodore P Goodman. So much that when she becomes the maid of his next door neighbor, she is thrilled. Wilma is a fun, inventive 10 year old who is helped by a wonderful dog. This was such a fun story full of deductions, contemplations, following clues and a definite read for any aspiring sleuth. The author also puts in some nice asides here and there so be warned a few people will have their hearts frozen.
Jia
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini menyenangkaaan, terlepas dari anagram-anagram dan kata-kata ambigu yang sulit, juga bertebarannya frase yang khas yang membuatku harus ngubek-ngubek gugel. Hihihi.

Oh Wilma Tenderfoot is so lovable, and so does her little tattered beagle.

Taylor Zook
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I can't wait to read the next one.
Zoe
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Absolutely delightful, this cross-between Victorian bleak and fresh modern has wit, good world building, and a decent mystery that I didn't solve before young Wilma did. There is some breaking of the fourth wall by the omniscient narrator, but it's done sparingly and well. Helping to fill the current gap in children's mystery that all that Post-Harry-Potter switch to fantasy the children's publishing world has left behind.
R-girl
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
as the first book in the series, this book is my least favorite, but still amazing. In it, Wilma, an orphan, really wants to become a detective, and then a mystery pops up. Can Wilma solve the mystery, at the same time as impressing Theodore P. Goodman, the famous detective of Cooper Island, and become his apprentice? read her story, and find out how it goes. it's definably charming.
Cornelia Franke
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sprache:
Die außergewöhnliche Erzählinstanz hebt das Buch von anderen Detektivgeschichten der Kategorie ab neun Jahre ab. Erinnert sogar an klassische, englische Kinderbuchautoren durch den allwissenden Erzähler, der nicht chronologisch erzählt, von Figur zu Figur springt und viel, viel mehr weiß als die Protagonisten. Dennoch lehnt Emma Kennedy sich nur an, ihre eigene Art zu erzählen hat mir ebenso gefallen. Spannungsgeladen (für die Altersstufe), witzig und vor allem schön flüssig.

Wunderbar fa
Shazzer
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
As posted on Outside of a Dog:

Plucky young girl detectives are a dime a dozen. Some are extraordinary (paging Enola Holmes!) and others are classics (my girls at the library are currently devouring Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, Nancy’s latest incarnation). Some, sadly, miss the mark. Luckily, this isn’t the case with Wilma Tenderfoot, whose first adventure The Case of the Frozen Hearts, is a delightful afternoon read for a dreary winter's day.

Wilma is an orphan at the Cooper Island Lowside Insti
Chris
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: j, not-graphic, humor, dark, mystery
The fact that Mrs. Speckle was a widow and that the Inspector had had a soft spot for her for over ten years is nothing to concern us here. This isn't a story about sappy romance, it's a story about murder and stealing, so don't give that piece of information a second thought.

This was a fun little mystery about Wilma, a scrawny ten-year-old orphan who has spent her entire life at the Cooper Island Lowside Institute for Woeful Children idolizing the island's most famous and accomplished detective
Tami
Wilma Tenderfoot wants to be a detective. When she is shipped off as a ward to Mrs. Waldock who requires Wilma to do bizarre (and often disgusting) chores with the threat of returning her to the Lowside Institute for Woeful Children and Mrs. Scratch who has no fondness for Wilma. When Wilma comes across an abandoned beagle she names Pickle you want to cheer because she has found someone to love that who loves her back wholly and unconditionally.

It turns out that Wilma's new residence is next doo
Linda
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
If I was rating this book for the degree that I liked it, I would give it 3 stars. However, I'm rating it for the brilliant way that the book is written so I gave it 4 stars. However, I seriously doubt that children in the age group recommended will understand the innuendos and double entendres in this a la Lemony Snickett style story with slap-stick comedy. However, the author does define words that a child might not be familiar with. I was also a bit shocked at how many murders occur in this b ...more
Susanti Priyandari
Wilma, gadis yatim piatu berusia 10 tahun yang SANGAT gigih. Sangat-nya ditulis kapital karena emang bener2 gigih.
Wilma sangat mengidolakan detektif hebat di Pulau Cooper yang namanya Peter Goodman. Pas di panti, Wilma rajin banget ngumpulin kasus-kasus yang ditangani Goodman dan pemecahannya tentunya dalam kliping. Jadi, Wilma selalu ingat, dalam keadaan begini, mirip kasus X, cara pemecahan atau mengatasinya ala Goodman cara Y. Saking kagumnya sama Goodman, Wilma sampai-sampai berangan-angan
Charlyn
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 4 and up
Recommended to Charlyn by: Texas Bluebonnet Reading List 2013
Plucky orphan Wilma Tenderfoot has only one wish: to become a detective so she can find her parents. And how could she become a detective? By becoming an apprentice to her hero--world-famous detective Theodore P. Goodman. Since the headmistress at the orphanage is as horrid as Little Orphan Annie's Miss Hannigan, that seems impossible. And then, Wilma is sent to live with the equally horrid Mrs. Waldock whose next-door neighbor is the esteemed detective. Unfortunately, Goodman is not in the hab ...more
Diane
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013, mystery
Wilma Tenderfoot, orphan at the Institute for Woeful Children, dreams of being a great detective, just like her hero, Theodore P. Goodman. And when the Katzin Stone is missing and two people dead (both with frozen hearts), Theodore is on the case and Wilma is determined to help. Enter the villain, Barbu D'Anvers, trying to locate the stone himself so he can steal it. Stir in one inept Inspector Lemone, one forger (Visser Haanstra) and his son, Janty, and an eager beagle named Pickle and you have ...more
Truly
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilma sangat ingin jadi detektif seperti idolanya,Theodore P.Googman. Ia malah hafal Sepuluh tips penting menyelidiki dari Theodore P.Googman

1.Cermati bukti-bukti yang ada.
2.Buatlah deduksi berdasarkan bukti-bukti tersebut.
3.Amati para tersangka dengan saksama,seringlah membuntuti mereka
4.Menguping walaupun tidak sopan, seringkali kali sangat berguna
5.Saat melarikan diri, gunakan jalan memutar
6.Selalu membuat catatan
7.Menyamar merupakan ide cerdik (apa lagi kalau keadaan sudah mulai genting)
Melissa
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun book!

"Wilma Tenderfoot, a tiny, brash, and determined ten-year-old orphan, dreams of becoming a worldfamous detective so she can find out who her parents are. Wilma discovers that her new next-door neighbor is the renowned detective Theodore P. Goodman, and he has a new case. Wilma is set on becoming Mr. Goodman's apprentice, so with the help of her beagle, Pickle, she makes deductions, follows leads, and scouts out suspects. She's sure she'll win the famous detective over and crack the case
Alice
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't feel I can rate this, because it really is a book for nine-year-olds. I wanted to read it because it's by Emma Kennedy, and I love her. If I could get a hold of her adult books (ex: The Tent, the Bucket and Me), I'd be thrilled. But in the U.S. we only seem to have Wilma Tenderfoot. And it had some lovely/hilarious parts, such as:

"'Never,' he began, with a frown, 'try and shoot anyone in front of police officers. Honestly. That's just basic.'"

So if you know a nine-year-old who wants som
Mickaéline Cuny
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Pour conclure après un début difficile (uniquement pour moi) j'ai aimé le ton, l'humour, les personnages loufoques qui sauront captiver les jeunes lecteurs. Preuve en est, j'ai envie de relaisser une chance à Wilma en lisant le second tome. Je n'ai pas envie de m'arrêter sur un sentiment en demi-teinte, quand je sais que la qualité de l'ouvrage, n'y est pour rien.

En un mot : laissez-vous tenter.

l'intégral de l'avis : http://mickaelineetseslivres.blogspot...
Emilyc
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emma Kennedey told the Case of the Frozen Hearts with a lot of tension. It's about a girl trying to be a detective. It was an enjoyable book because tension made the book fun to read, plus th funny things her dog Pickle would do even though it would help with the case. The case of the Frozen Hearts is a mystery because they are trying to find out who stole the Katzin Stone. 6th and 7th grade readers would like this book. This is a book that I would highly reccommend to everyone.
Tamara Geraeds
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
precies wat Linda al schreef: het verhaal op zich geef ik 3 sterren. leuk, maar voor mij wat te langdradig. maar het geheel is zo leuk geschreven dat ik een ster extra geef. het commentaar van de verteller op alles is echt ontzettend leuk en de hond wordt erg leuk neergezet. ook de tekeningen in mijn versie waren een leuke aanvulling op het verhaal.
Ann
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
A murder mystery for children. That's right I said murder, and lots of it. I picked up this book solely based on its cover thinking I might read it to my little girls or hand it over to the my oldest to read. Then I read it and realized it really wasn't the sort of book I wanted her reading just yet. It really is for a slightly older child than mine. Perhaps ages 10-11yrs.
RogueHireling
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully tongue in cheek mystery aimed at 10-12 year olds.

Wilma Tenderfoot is a fun, energetic protagonist, who despite a difficult life has maintained her innocence, enthusiasm, and drive to become a detective.

I found myself rooting for her the entire way through. No romance, none needed.
Angelique
So cute! When I had a really bad day, I went to the library to borrow a nice book and that's how I found Wilma and Pickle (Wilma's beagle). This book is so cute, funny and entertaining, it was the perfect book for my sad self. I can only recommend it highly to children, parents and all people out there who are in search of a wonderful read to liften their mood.
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very cute! A mystery that is kind of a mix of Series of Unfortunate Events, and Pippi Longstocking. A spunky smart orphan, humor, mystery and a sweet beagle named pickles all with a good mystery, some funny characters and a happy ending. Lots to love in this book. Recommend widely to 1-4th graders.
Holli
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Solid 3 stars. I think one must be in the targeted age group to fully appreciate this book.
Still, I enjoyed it enough to continue on with the series. I am very tempted to make a batch of those crumbles and one can as the recipe is located at the end of the novel.
Speakercoret
pinjem petrik..
-----------------------------

ga usah mikir macem2 pas baca ini, ga usah mikir ini ga masuk akal, itu ga masuk akal.. nikmatin aja 'ketidakmasukakalannya' :p
buku kedua ada yah? diterbitin matahati juga ga yah.... *masukin wishlist*
Laura Farrar
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is a child's take on Sherlock Holmes I still find it a good mystery. It is witty and compelling, I would recommend it to someone who likes mysteries and thrillers but prefers a more fun side to it:)
Yapha
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Yet another book about a clever orphan stuck in a dismal orphanage who manages to change her circumstances. I enjoyed the mystery. If you are looking for more books in this genre, then this one is for you.
Goodreads Librari...: Add ISBN13 3 155 Jun 17, 2015 12:17PM
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • Cinderella Smith
  • The Case of the Stolen Sixpence (Maisie Hitchins, #1)
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • The Doomsday Machine: A Further Astonishing Adventure of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #3)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • The Midnight Tunnel (Suzanna Snow, #1)
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
  • Beswitched
  • Vanishing Acts
  • Just Different Devils (Hetta Coffey Series #7)
  • The Icarus Project
  • The Last Musketeer (The Last Musketeer, #1)
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • Eddie: The Lost Youth of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • The Sasquatch Escape (The Imaginary Veterinary, #1)

Wilma Tenderfoot (4 books)
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Fatal Phantom
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Rascal's Revenge
“Most grown-ups are never happier than when they have someone to look down on, and the Cooper Island Farsiders couldn't have been more delighted that they had the Cooper Lowsiders to despise. As long as the Farsiders had their immediate neighbors to oppress, they were saved the exacting inconvenience of recognizing their own shortcomings.” 2 likes