Start by marking “The Philosophy of Schopenhauer” as Want to Read:
The Philosophy of Schopenhauer

The Philosophy of Schopenhauer

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This is a revised and enlarged version of Bryan Magee's widely praised study of Schopenhauer, the most comprehensive book on this great philosopher. It contains a brief biography of Schopenhauer, a systematic exposition of his thought, and a critical discussion of the problems to which it gives rise and of its influence on a wide range of thinkers and artists. For this new ...more
Published October 30th 1997 by Clarendon Press (first published August 11th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Philosophy of Schopenhauer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Philosophy of Schopenhauer

Fadi
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
The definitive book on Schopenhauer's philosophy not written by Schopenhauer.
Jason Greensides
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, favorites
I own quite a few books on philosophy, but this is the one that completely blew my brain apart. Putting Schopenhauer's transcendental idealist philosophy into the context of the empiricism/idealism dichotomy, in particular relation to Kant, Bryan Magee takes you through the arguments in a far more lucid and engaging way than many of those other books dealing with the history of metaphysics.

Of course I was reading it because it's a brilliant insight into Schopenhauer's overall philosophy (his not
Arjun Ravichandran
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an epic length exposition/meditation by a quiet admirer of Arthur "Sour Grapes" Schopenhauer, the 19th century German philosopher renowned for his unrelenting pessimism.

More accurately, however, this can be considered a treatise on what the author quite fairly dubs the Kantian-Schopenhauerian paradigm, and he therefore begins his book with a treatment of Kant's Copernican revolution in philosophy, only then proceeding to adumbrate Schopenhauer's extension and completion of this work.

Sch
Michael
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fivestars
If you think you don't like Schopenhauer, this book may change your mind.
J.W. Dionysius Nicolello
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads is my digital public catalogue of books read and books to read with notes to self and others around the world with incoherent disregard to outwitting my way into winning Grand Prize of Thy Likes. In this bacchic orgy of invisible peoples, babeling senselessly of intellectual economics, esoteric folklore, archaic fairytales and Adult Coloring Books, there is a nebulous and naive uneasiness entwined unto dropping the apparent exterior world for the trusty written word (s); fall of man; f ...more
David
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favourite philosopher. I found a very good discussion of him here:

Exploring the confines of the cage, and eschewing the easy comforts of religion, and being unswervingly honest wherever it may lead. Regarded as a pessimist but I think a realist. I think that his independent dovetailing with buddhism and hinduism and recent scientific discoveries show that he was at least on the right track in this metaphysical detective story that has no end.
Cameron
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very carefully researched book, which I read avidly and greatly enjoyed.
Dan DalMonte
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good appreciation of Schopenhauer here. I really enjoyed learning about the key philosophical tents of Schopenhauer. He was a German philosopher who took the philosophy of Kant and brought it to a new level. I'm not sure I agree with his worldview, but it is certainly a gripping one. I want to think more about possible gaps and questions his system raises. This book is also very good at tracing the influences Schopenhauer had on artists like Richard Wagner and Thomas Mann.
Jamey
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
A beautiful book.
Jake
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Does an excellent job at explaining Schopenhauer's philosophy, particularly with regards to its influence on Wittgenstein and in tracing the empiricist/rationalist tradition that converged on Kant, but desperately needs to be about 300 pages shorter. There's no retention of ideas between each chapter, making it feel less like a book than a compilation of articles.
Eric Burke
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Plays the advocate a little too much, but still a very good presentation, including on Schopenhauer's influence on later thinkers and artists. For more on Schopenhauer's influence on Wagner, Magee's The Tristan Chord is also very good.
Ben
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Magee is such a great writer, and explains the views of Schopenhauer so well. I recommend it to anyone interested in knowing more about Schopenhauer's philosophy and the impact it has had.
Matt
Oct 28, 2017
  • How to Read Wittgenstein
  • Schopenhauer and the Wild Years of Philosophy
  • Schopenhauer: A Very Short Introduction
  • Essay on the Freedom of the Will (Philosophical Classics)
  • Friedrich Nietzsche: A Philosophical Biography
  • The Cambridge Companion to Wittgenstein
  • On Suicide: A Discourse on Voluntary Death
  • Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion and The Natural History of Religion
  • Kant's Transcendental Idealism: An Interpretation and Defense
  • Philosophy in the Modern World
  • The Cambridge Companion to Nietzsche
  • A Short History Of Ethics: A History Of Moral Philosophy From The Homeric Age To The Twentieth Century
  • Three Critics of the Enlightenment: Vico, Hamann, Herder
  • Nietzsche: The Man and his Philosophy
  • The View from Nowhere
  • Continental Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
  • How to Read Heidegger
  • Introduction to Phenomenology
Bryan Edgar Magee is a noted British broadcasting personality, politician, poet, and author, best known as a popularizer of philosophy.

Magee's most important influence on society remains his efforts to make philosophy accessible to the layman. Transcripts of his television series "Men of Ideas" are available in published form in the book Talking Philosophy. This book provides a readable and wide-r
More about Bryan Magee
“Ignorance is ignorance, not a licence to believe what we like.” 8 likes
“Even if it could be shown that all explanations can be reduced ultimately to those of science, and even if all the reductions were then to be carried out, the mystery of the world as such would be as great at the end of the process as it had been at the beginning.” 0 likes