Start by marking “A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide” as Want to Read:
A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide

A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
True Blood, Alan Ball’s critically acclaimed television adaptation of Charlaine Harris’ bestselling Southern Vampire mysteries, is HBO’s most-watched show since The Sopranos, averaging over 12 million viewers an episode in its second season. Thanks to its large, dedicated fanbase, it won the People’s Choice “Favorite TV Obsession” award in early 2010.

A Taste of True Blood:
Published June 29th 2010 by Smart Pop

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of True Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of True Blood

Heather
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In A Taste of True Blood’s introduction, the book’s editor, Leah Wilson, writes: “...it’s our goal to be a book that has something for all True Blood fans, no matter why they watch...[to:] give you a taste of what others see when they watch the show—and give you a few new reasons to watch, too.” After marathon reading my copy, I think I can safely say mission accomplished.

I started watching the show because, well, hunky men are great, and, more importantly, because I liked Anna Paquin’s feisty p
Mariℓina
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
A fine bundle of 18 essays with some of them being very interesting, inspired, well written and even witty. Contemplating various themes such as religion, sex, bigotry and of course death, all followed by a normal episode guide of the first two seasons.

1) An analysis of the opening credits.
2) Bill Compton's fall from Grace as a badass vampire character.
3) Merlotte's significance to the show.
4) South and its culture as an ideal location for the series.
5) An examination about the blue-collar popul
Bridget
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm a True Blood fanatic and this is a must have for any fan. I enjoyed reading A Taste of True Blood because it got to the heart and soul of the show. It made me want to watch the seasons again because all of the things I learned, so I'll probably do that soon. This would be the perfect gift for your die-hard True Blood pals.
Jess
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wish I could write an essay-length review on each of the essays in this book, but that would just be going overboard, and would probably bore you all to death. Instead, I’ll just keep this review short and sweet (which would seem to be a first for me…) and post a small summary on some of the essays that I found to be worth mentioning.

Now, before I start, I just have to add that I’m a massive fan of the show, True Blood. And I’m a fan of the book series (I’ve only read the first two, though. Wh
Mell
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, vampires
Has some interesting essays. Enjoyed the first essay most, an analysis of the opening credits (brilliant and creepy) and the theme song. Skimmed the rest.
Taschima
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Smart Pop books with all my heart. They always publish books like these about my favorite shows, and I always devour them. If you are not a fan of True Blood, then this book is not for you. If you are a fan of True Blood then you need to read this book. A Taste of True Blood for me was like having all those much needed conversations that I dream I have with my friends about the show (only not cause my friends don't watch it).

This is the kind of book you really have to be in the mood to r
Ashley Logan
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant Christmas surprise by my husband. I didn't even know this book existed. It was quite a feat for him to find books I didn't know that were out. This is a collection of essays on what True Blood might stand for and its meaning underneath it all. All in all the essays were very good and made you think about things you might not have noticed about the True Blood series. There were a couple that were out there such as Peter B. Lloyd's Communion of Blood in which he states that may ...more
Robin Conley
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I love the True Blood series, I struggled to get through this book. I enjoy speculating and analyzing things as much as the next person, but this book at times felt like it was too much. Some essays were much long than they really needed to be to cover a topic. Others were just pure speculation that seemed a bit ridiculous (and ultimately were proven wrong by future seasons of the series). A few of the essays were interesting and I enjoyed them, but I just felt like it was really hard for ...more
Aussie bookworm
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This book gave great Insight into the T.V show that I had never even thought of before, I really loved learning about the meaning of the opening credits as strange as that is it is something that you never really think about, but this book includes an essay all about the deeper meaning of the opening credits.

This book was a little irritating at times, and I skipped over a few pages which I really hate doing, but there were some gems in there that I think fans would love.

Overall it was an intere
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it

All essays were three stars, with the exception of two five-star pieces - "SOOKEH! Bee-ill! and the Downfall of William T. Compton" by Jonna Rubin and "From Castle Dracula to Merlotte's Bar & Grill" by Bruce and Karen Bethke. Both were well-written, smart, and funny enough to make me laugh out loud on more than one occasion.

Best to read this book after watching season 2 of the show, as that's when this book was originally published.
Bianca
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vamp-books
A more in depth way of viewing a series I'm in love with. True Blood is a truly magical series with so many layers - I am glad writers in the field have broken down some of the themes that I was previously impervious too - including Jason's hunt for masculinity, the colour scheme, how vamps are the new superheroes and explaining that creepy 90 second intro to the show. I loved every essay in this book and I highly recommend it for any True Blood/Alan Ball fan!!
Michelle
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This anthology is really fun and enlightening. Some of the essays are boring, one embarrassed me to read (okay, stop drooling over Season 1 Bill), other essays offer interesting insight (class, race, and masculinity are discussed), and the best essay talks about True Blood and the vampire trend as horror, fantasy, and sci-fi and through the lens of gender. If you're a writer, you'll love the last essay, which is worth buying the book alone.
Lindsay
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
some of the writings were good and interesting and others made me want to poke my eyes out..... this book took me forever to read because after a few essays it just got boring.... but there were some interesting ideas and thoughts in here.
Chelsea Gouin
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires, non-fiction
For fans of the show, this was a fun read. 18 essays that cover every aspect of the show. Some were interesting, some I just skimmed over. Covers he first 2 seasons of the show.
Alysa H.
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Review forthcoming.
Christina
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I won this book from a contest...not too bad:)
Nicole
Jul 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ok book, not an easy read for me. I had to force myself to complete it. Breaks down all elements of the show kinda drags on.
Indah Threez Lestari
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • True Blood and Philosophy: We Want to Think Bad Things with You
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Inside Joss' Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Boarding the Enterprise: Transporters, Tribbles, And the Vulcan Death Grip in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek
  • No Love Lost (Weather Warden #1.5)
  • Bite Me!: An Unofficial Guide to the World of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Alias Assumed: Sex, Lies and SD-6
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
  • Pushing Luck (Pax Arcana #0.03)
  • Love You to Death Season 2: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries
  • Totally Charmed: Demons/ Whitelighters/ Power of Three
  • Fringe Science: Parallel Universes, White Tulips, and Mad Scientists
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 3
Leah Wilson is Editor-in-Chief of the Smart Pop imprint of Dallas-based publisher BenBella Books. She graduated from Duke University in 2003 with a degree in Culture and Modern Fiction, and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Fall season premiere schedules make her a little giddy.

(Her author blog is the main blog for Smart Pop's website, and she'll be using this Goodreads account in part to do some
More about Leah Wilson...