Start by marking “The Seventh Level” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Level

The Seventh Level

Each step gets him closer to greatness . . . or disaster.

Lauer Middle School has a super-secret society—The Legend. No one knows who is in it. Or how they pull off the spectacular school-wide events. Seventh grader Travis Raines may be about to find out. A mysterious message appears in his locker. You have been chosen, it says. And it gives him a mind-bending puzzle to sol
Published May 25th 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published July 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Level, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Level

Carrie
May 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book stinks! It is ridiculous and stupid.
1. The main character has no brain. In a puzzle that took me about five seconds it took two days for him to solve it.
2. He breaks every rule ever. WHY??? Is there a reason that Travis heard a rule and immediately forgot it? For instance: He was grounded, and his mom said that he wasn't allowed to use the phone. SO WHAT DOES HE IMMEDIATELY DO? Call his friend! Which, by the way, Travis didn't trust at all. That brings me to
3. Travis was SUPER paranoid
Jacob Godshall
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Each step gets him closer to greatness . . . or disaster." The quote from THE SEVENTH LEVEL by Jody Feldman basically sums up a seventh grader, Travis Raines, who always seems to be in the midst of trouble. But if he wants to be the school soccer team captain and stay out of detention, he will have to ease up on the trouble making. Easy enough... until a mysterious blue envelope appears in his locker. It could be the Legend, a secret school club, or someone trying to get him in more trouble. Wh ...more
Kathy Dobronyi
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read that also carries a powerful message. To belong to the special middle school group, The Legend, isn't based on popularity nor super intelligence. As one of its members stated, "You are all unique, yet you all possess each of our seven qualities--intelligence, creativity, kindness, ingenuity, leadership, spirit, and energy. You are made of the stuff of The Legend."
Osose
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my favorite books that I have ever read in my life. The reasons why is because of how it made the whole story interesting. Like, there is some kind of sense to the strory, and it is very hilarious of how the main character became to addicted to joining a certain group. But, this strory was the best.
Kendra
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed on Student by Day, Reader all Night

The author of this book also wrote The Gollywhopper Games. This book seemed to me like a worse version of that.

Travis Raines doesn't try to get in trouble, it just finds him. And he found a ton of trouble when a blue envelope appears in his locker, telling him that he could be part of the Legend. Legend is the secret society on his campus that puts on amazing events, and everyone wants to be part of it. All Travis has to do is solve seven
fiona
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7th-grade-books
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It’s a book that involves puzzles and the solving of puzzles! I love books like this! That’s why I read The 39 Clues and Brian Jacque’s Redwall series-—because of the riddles/puzzles/clues. Books that involve heists, capers, and puzzles are some of my favorite books to read because they’re so fun (Gordon Korman writes some good heists; check out Swindle). And The Seventh Level is very fun. It has some very funny lines, it has some complicated and not-so-complicated puzzles, it has plot and confl ...more
Driss Sekkat
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the story the seventh level, the main character is Travis. Travis. Travis is a 7th Grader and one day he mysteriously gets a blue envelope. The letter said that he should do tricky challenges that would make him a problems with the principal. Behind the envelope, Travis should complete the puzzle that he found and he could get the clues and codes of the letter. When he had solved the mysterious code he had been part of the society and he is part of the group The Legends.

I think my friends wo
Mr. Kohlhagen
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Comments Edit this Post

The Seventh Level is about a boy named Travis who’s been getting weird blue envelopes from the” Legend” . In the’s letters they say the craziest dares and know one is aloud to see it or hear it. The “Legend” is a group of kids who’ve been sending Travis and other kids the notes that challenge them to do bad things for good reasons.The kids do bad things for example spray paint a poster on the side of the school, just to be in the “Legend.” The main characters are Travis (d
Noni
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
What could have been a great book misses the mark by distracting the reader with unimportant things. "The seventh level" refers to a secret,mysterious group in school that issues challenges to lucky candidates through a series of blue envelopes containing mind-bending puzzles. Other authors have incorporated mathematical puzzles into their stories more successfully than Ms. Feldman does and for this reason feel that it won't hold the reader's interest. For example, the protagonist Travis Raines ...more
Sandra Stiles
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Travis Raines seems to always be in trouble. Even when trying to do the right thing he gets into trouble. One thing he wants more than anything else, is to be part of "The Legend", a secret group in school that plans cool surprises for the students. When he finds a blue envelop in his locker he is excited. He is sure he is being tested for the secret society. He must complete puzzles, tests, and do it all without getting into trouble or without letting anyone know. He gets a plain blue envelope ...more
Josh Newhouse
May 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jody Feldman is awesome! I just discovered her books this summer with the Gollywhopper Games and now she is 2 for 2.

There are exactly 2 things about this book I did not like:

1. The cover is a little bleh. Hope they juice it for the softcover...

2. On page 1-2, I initially thought the protagonist was younger oddly enough due to a hotwheels reference...

Yeah enough nitpicks... this one had me reading from start to finish, and I loved the concept, the puzzles, the characters and the ending... I'll a
Alicia Farmer
Sep 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-james, 2015
I thought this was horrible. My 12y-o son liked it. But it's my review, so I give it my stars. I just thought I'd mention his assessment so someone doesn't despair if her child brings this home to read.

The story was needlessly complicated. Too many red herrings and pointless plot twists come up. A theme is "things aren't always as they appear," but the author gives us evidence supporting one assessment, then tells us to disregard it later. I lost patience with it.

The plot was contrived, too. A s
Gwen the Librarian
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kidlit
This is the story of a kid who is always in the wrong place at the wrong time. His enthusiasm constantly gets him in trouble. But maybe, just maybe, the kids who run a super secret contest at school are watching him and think he's worthy of being a part of their elite squad. He is put through the paces throughout the book, doing crazy stunts...and begins to wonder if it's all a trick. This is a fairly easy and enjoyable story and has some pretty realistic and sympathetic characters, both kid and ...more
Ann
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some people consider seventh grader Travis Raines a troublemaker, but really, he's a good kid with a good heart and a knack for getting himself in complicated situations. Middle grade readers will enjoy Travis' voice, personality, friendships, and the idea of a secret society called The Legend. Mysterious notes appear in Travis' locker, her has to solve all kinds of brain puzzles, and figure out which clues lead to the Legend, and which will only get him in more trouble.

Feldman is a master at m
Lana Krumwiede
Puzzling clues. Secret society. Unknown adversaries. This book struck me as a "DaVinci Code" for middle grade (minus the psychotic religious aspect). That is, unless you hated Davinci Code--in that case this book bears no resemblance whatsoever.

For some reason I thought it was going to be science fiction but it is realistic thru and thru. Mystery might be a more appropriate label.

This book has a strong voice and a compelling plot.
Keith
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this style of children's book with built in puzzles for the reader to solve. They make the reader feel involved in the story and it can keep the story moving by always having another puzzle to solve. Although many of the situations in this story aren't really believable, this would certainly have been a book I would have enjoyed in elementary school. Travis is Every Boy and you easily root for him. There isn't anything groundbreaking here, but it is a fun story that moves along quickly.
Eoin
May 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
My first ever Nookbook. I had higher hopes for this book and was disappointed by it since I enjoyed The Gollywhopper Games so much but this one just wasn't my kind of book. It was slow and slightly dull for most of it. I don't know what happened to Jody Feldman's writing but it has taken a major turn for the worst. It had puzzles similar to the Gollywhopper Games but it just wasn't as exciting. It picked up in the end though and got slightly better.
Linzy Stahle
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book has been compared to The Mysterious Benedict Socity series (of which I've become a big fan) but The Seventh Level isn't anywhere NEAR as exciting and adventure filled as MBS. It was too slow and the Legend started to sound more like a cult than an service project group. The 'initiation" with robed figures got a little creepy and I wondered the whole time why these students weren't allowed to inform their parents of what was going on (wouldn't that be a red flag to a normal parent?).
Jeff Raymond
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Jody Feldman's first book, The Gollywhopper Games. This one is along the same lines - puzzles, games, and young people haivng to deal with adversity. This one felt a little more forced, though, and wasn't nearly as great. Not to say it was bad, just not up to the same standard. Regardless, there is something to be said about a book about a middle school secret society, and that makes it fun enough.
Maggie
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-and-kidlit
What I like: the puzzles, and the main character, a boy with good intentions who has trouble controlling his impulses. What I don't like: the concept of a secret society, even one that does good deeds, that you can join only by invitation. I actually sympathized with the frustration of the bullies, who feel left out. I would, too.
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked Gollywhopper Games better. This one, about a seventh grader's trying desperately to earn a place in the top-secret middle school positive prank club 'The Legend' never hooked me because I found the premise alternately confusing and unbelievable. Still, I like the puzzle element and suspect some kids will also 13 and perhaps they'll better be able to suspend their disbelief.
Ilovereading
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A book about one boy's longing and determination to get into an exclusive club, this was a very enjoyable read. To see my full review, visit:

I review preteen, teen, young adult, and adult books all on the same website.
Linda
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fun book that will make a great choice to offer for boys (girls, too!). Mysterious clues from a secret school society offer a boy who is known as a trouble-maker a chance to prove himself -- and make unexpected friendships. Librarians, teachers, parents will especially love the puzzle-solving and anti-bully message in this humorous middle-grade novel. CHECK IT OUT!
Alyssa
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, realistic
A fun book about a middle school secret society and the lengths one seventh grader will go to to get in the coolest club in school. Can he figure out their puzzles? And, as he gets into more and more trouble, does he still want to?
Lisa
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidland
An interesting middle school puzzle book.
By the same author of The Gollywhopper Games.
Danyelle Leafty
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
Fun read. I would have loved this book as a kid with all the puzzles. :D
Chris Dulaney
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
LOVE THIS BOOK

This book has so many twists and turns. It will keep you on your toes just itching to read more and more.
Lorelie
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved it! What a great story. I loved it as much as The Gollywhopper Games!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes
  • Noonie's Masterpiece
  • The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt
  • The Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child
  • Smells Like Treasure
  • Stealing Air
  • Finding Family
  • The Wonder of Charlie Anne
  • The Dragon of Cripple Creek
  • The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.
  • Brother from a Box
  • This Means War!
Jody Feldman never knew she always wanted to be a writer when she grew up. If you’d cornered her as a kid, she’d have mentioned doctor or teacher, but that was just an answer. Her passions ran more toward treasure hunter, codebreaker, movie director, or inventor, but her practical side couldn’t imagine how to get there.

Her path to writing meandered through the University of Missouri School of Jou