Start by marking “At the Firefly Gate” as Want to Read:
At the Firefly Gate

At the Firefly Gate

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Henry has always felt like an outsider and things are about to get worse when his family moves to the countryside and the prospect of a new school looms. He retreats more and more into his shell, until he meets Dottie, a frail old lady, who has tremendous spirit. He feels as though he knows her, as though they have been friends for many years. And as she tells him about he ...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Yearling (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about At the Firefly Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Firefly Gate

Alex Baugh
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
At the Firefly Gate is a simple romantic ghost story that seamlessly connects past and present, and age and youth together.

Henry, 11, is not happy when his parents move from London to the village of Crickford St. Thomas. His first night there, he sees a man standing at the garden gate, smoking a cigarette and with a cloud of fireflies flying around him, appearing to look straight at Henry.

The next day Henry and his parents are invited to tea by their neighbor Pat, whose daughter Grace is a littl
Scaia Calderon
"At the Firefly Gate" takes place in London in the village Crickford St. Thomas. The main character Henry is eleven years old and he is not happy when they move. His first night in his new house he sees a man standing at their garden gate, smoking a cigarette and with beautiful firefly's flying around him, and he seems to be looking straight at Henry. The next day Pat their neighbor invited Henry and his parents next door to have tea. Also living there is Grace, Pats daughter who is a little old ...more
Lpocklington3
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry is a young boy that has just moved to the country side. When he first moves there he thinks that everything will be bad and he wont make any friends. Then, one night, he saw this man standing at the
"Firefly Gate" smoking and just standing there as if he is waiting for someone. He wants to figure out who that guy is and why he stands there every night, but when he looks at the man out his bedroom window, he has the feeling he is there. He feels everything the man would feel. The cold air,
Boqin Zhang
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
The story of a young boy whose family has moved from London to the country. He misses his friends and the bustle of London but begins to appreciate the quiet of the country. However, he also discovers a very personal connection to some of the history relating to the World War flyers from Britain. Turns out his new home has a history of being one of the old air bases used during the way and Henry, the protagonist, keeps seeing and dreaming things that are connected to some of his new friends and ...more
SarahC
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults and up, lovers of slightly supernatural
This is a young adult novel that should appeal to all ages. It is the story of a young boy, Henry, in modern-day rural England, and the storyline also reaches back to World War II. It is a beautiful story about personal experience during war and the writing has a delicateness that makes it more moving. A reader would not need a lot of history of WWII to appreciate Firefly Gate, and it might be a great choice if you are looking for variety for a young reader. It was a very touching story with jus ...more
Ella Daisy
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly can't remember a single thing about this book except this: I absolutely adored it when I was eight years old. I read it in year 4 and, believe me, I was amazed. Its an enchanting story about a young boy called Harry, and that is all I know. But this is an official order: read this book! Its for 8-12 year olds roughly, but its a beautiful book anyone can really enjoy.
Memory Toast
I didn't want to give this a star rating, because it didn't quite make it to a 4, but it wasn't really a 3 either.

A story about a by who moves to a small town in the British countryside, it's a cute story and a melding of present and past. I didn't feel anything was explained fully, but it was "resolved" enough that it was worth the quick read.
Becky Soledad
I found that this story took a little while to get to the point but in the end I couldn't put it down. Over all a good read. One of the things I found a little awkward was the narrator. It felt like sometimes it moved from 3rd person to 1st in a slightly confusing manner. Still didn't detract from me liking the story.
B
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gentle lovely story

Henry and his parents move out of London to a small village near a World War II airfield.
The first night he sees the "ghost of a pilot" near his garden gate.
Lots of things in this book:
meeting and making new friends
loss
Coming of age
friendship of a boy for an elderly woman
Cheryl
Nice addition to Young Adult reads but do we really have to be reminded about the take over of our publishing business by British moguls. Enough reprints and new prints by British authors. Nice book and I really liked the storyline even though a bit obvious. But young readers might get bogged down on British slang.
Marianne
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WWII England, Jr Fiction book. Mystery/fantasy. I really enjoyed this story of Henry, who has moved with his family to Suffolk, England (present day) and begins to see a shadowy image of a WWII airman standing by the garden gate in his backyard. The story is sad, ghostly, romantic, adventurous and a quick read.
Kim
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter, ghosts
Henry moves into a new home and during his first night there he sees a man at his garden gate, staring at him. Who is this strange man and why does Henry feel like he knows him? In addition, why is Henry having such strange dreams - almost life like?
Shahna
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I like Henry. He sounds like a good kid.

This story made me sad. Near the end. Was not expecting it! gah!
I wouldn't really consider this a ghost story. It doesn't feel like one.

I like books with WWII elements in them. I don't know why.
Leslee
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up for Madison, but I read it instead. It was okay, but it took too long for the point of the story to happen. It felt too predictable and anti climatic. I knew it wouldn't hold madi's attention so I didn't pass it on.
Kelli
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found this in the kids dept in the library yesterday but I'm finding it to be an easy, interesting read.
Jan
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, nothing much happens but it just makes you feel good!
Labibah Safdar
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing! I loved the book I had to read it for school and ended up finishing it too early. I couldn't put the book down at all.
Ian Drake
Not a real gripping story for the aimed audience As WW2 isn't held as in high regard by younger readers. A great read by itself though
Hilary
Part ghost story / part time-travel / part finding yourself-new kid on the block story. Hard to categorize. Worth reading. Short.
April
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-lit, 2007
I was underwhelmed.
†☻☯★GothicPrincess (aka alixx )★☯☻
Cynthia
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a wonderful novel. I wasn't sure how the couple was going to get back together or meet again.
Sylvia
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small-town boy re-enacts memories of WWII and a Lancaster pilot who lost his life. England
Abigail Clamp
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read or a lovely read to a class. A story about a young boy who reminds his new neighbour dottie of her first love. The question is why and what story lies undiscovered.
Audrey
Jun 13, 2011
Shawn Trucks
Jan 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Home Front Girl: A Diary of Love, Literature, and Growing Up in Wartime America
  • Voices at Whisper Bend (American Girl History Mysteries, #4)
  • Lord of the Nutcracker Men
  • Nightmare at the Book Fair
  • The Well Between The Worlds (Lyonesse, #1)
  • How I Found the Strong
  • The Two Pound Tram
  • William S. and the Great Escape
  • A Parachute in the Lime Tree
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • The German Boy
  • A Daughter's Tale: The Memoir of Winston and Clementine Churchill's Youngest Child
  • Too Close to the Sun: Growing Up in the Shadow of my Grandparents, Franklin and Eleanor
  • Spring-Heeled Jack
  • Caught in the Crossfire
  • Long Way Home
  • Harvey Ángel
Linda Iris Newbery (born 12 August 1952, in Romford, Essex) is a British writer known best for young-adult fiction—where she entered the market, although she has broadened her range to encompass all ages. She published her first novel Run with the Hare in 1988, while still working as an English teacher in a comprehensive school. She became a full-time writer in 2000.
Linda is a regular tutor for th
More about Linda Newbery...