Start by marking “Little White Duck” as Want to Read:
Little White Duck

Little White Duck

Recorded by everyone from Burl Ives to Raffi, this simple song has been entertaining fans for fifty years. Now, for the first time, it is brought to life in picture book form by artist Joan Paley, whose collages were described by School Library Journal as "quite impressive ... a cross between the works of Denise Fleming and Lois Ehlert". Bold and lively, this book is sure ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Little White Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little White Duck

Ms. Shoshana
Another great book to sing at story time. Bright, large pictures! I saw at least one mom singing along.
Katie Fitzgerald
Love this book! The big bold illustrations held my two-month-old's attention through several readings.
Sylvester
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
2* art
4* song

We love story-book songs. This is a great one. The illustrations aren't my favorite - Squirt always turns the book up-side-down when we get to the swimming bug???
Tara Pinelli
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
1.) No awards
2.) Appropriate grade levels: Preschool-1st grade
3.) Original 3 line summary: This song book introduces five characters; a mouse, duck, frog, bug, and snake. The mouse is the 'narrator' of the story/song. Each character is happy swimming in the water until the red snake comes along and eats the bug.
4.) Original 3 line review: I thought this was a simple and colorful song book. I also liked how the author introduces different creatures on each page. I thought that this w
Natasha
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
Any picture book that can be sung with a familiar tune (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y57RW...) while looking at the pictures is a great find for the current toddler age (20 months). This one sometimes get abbreviated when the toddler does't have patience for all the verses.
Theresa
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little White Duck (Hardcover)
by Walt Whippo
Using music to tell as story this book builds on senses and learning with rhyme and musical qualities
J
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A colorful book that you can sing.
Asho
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
My two-year-old really enjoyed this one! I remembered the Raffi version of this song so was able to sing the book instead of read it. My husband just reads it, and my son still seems to enjoy it that way, too. I do find it disturbing that the snake eats the bug, but I overthink this stuff. My kiddo doesn't really get it (and for kids that do, there is a final page that shows all of the animals taking a bow on a stage, making it clear that everyone was in a play and the snake only pretended to ea ...more
Ccl Children's
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun story for spring. The actions of the little white duck, little green frog, little black bug, and little red snake are all narrated by a guitar strumming little brown mouse. The illustrations are bright and clear. The CD Burl Ives sings Little White Duck makes a great accompaniment--I was singing "Little White Duck" to myself all week long! --ML

Find it in our catalog: http://catalog.ccls.org/search~S1?/tL...

...and sing along with Burl Ives!: http://catalog.ccls.org/search~S1?/tL...
Jillian Menendez
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved by all children! this is such a great book to use for interacting with young children. It can be read or sang and children love acting out the parts of the animals. It has a catch tune and children love to shout out the noises the animals make. I think this is a good book to use on younger children in preschool and maybe kindergarten. The pictures are illustrated beautifully and the colors really draw in the children's eyes.
Whitney Strickland
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: expression
"There's a little green frog swimming in the water, a little green frog doing what she oughter..." This is just a portion of this great sing along book. The book is adorable and offers many opportunities to teach children how to read with expression. The flow of the story allows children to join in and can be used for large read aloud as well in a small group. This is a great book to have on an expression or fluency shelf.
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations. But, at our house, well-loved because it's a "singing" book:
There's a little white duck, sitting in the water
A little white duck, doing what he oughter
He took a bite of a lily pad
Flapped his wings and he said "I'm glad
I'm a little white duck sitting in the water
Quack, Quack, Quack."
Etc...

June
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: caregivers of young children
I used the story and then played the song, since repetition is good for the younger ages. 5/16/12

Used with a baby for PJ Time. The bold illustrations seemed to hold his attention. 5/11/15

Might have to move this up to a 3.5 in Lap Time, the illustrations seem to hold their attention and the song goes well after...
AnnaBnana
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute picture book about animals floating on the water. There's a good chance for participation with this one--the animals have to make noises, after all! Plus, it actually can be done as a book in song--there's sheet music for the text at the beginning and the song has been recorded by lots of folks, including Raffi.
Wendy Daniel
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-4700
You can't help but sing along to this book, and this makes it perfect for teaching phonological awareness. The tune is familiar to most people, and the kids (ages new born through 3 years old) like to hear you sing it. I also like the ending. It shows all of the animals bowing on stages (alive and well)!!
Julie McElhaney
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-hits
Download Burle Ives version of the song and play along with this book. Or, just sing it yourself. This is one of my all time favorites! I must have had the album when I was little and the book has such cute illustrations.
Mary
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, song
This is a vibrantly illustrated picture book version of the popular folk song sung in the past by Burl Ives and later by Raffi. The cumulative rhyming with the large colorful double spread colleges will make this a lively read aloud for preschoolers.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Bold and fun pictures accompany the children's song "The Little White Duck." Paley presents the story as a play starring the Little White Duck, the Little Green Frog and friend. A fun read (or sing) along, with animal noises. It would also be fun to stage a pre-school version.
Vicki
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A fun book about life at the pond. I made flannel board pieces to use with this book, as I sang the words. If you are not familiar with the tune, check it out on Youtube. The kids seemed to enjoy the book.
Anastasia Tuckness
This is a great picture book version of Walt Whippo's song. The illustrations are large and colorful, and the sound words (Buzz Buzz, Hiss Hiss) are drawn in large colorful letters that pop out. Looking forward to reading this for Fantastic Frogs next week!
Hannah Meyer
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ls3013-02
Nature, song, animals, pond
Vivian
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
a crowd - pleaser. If you know the tune, be sure to sing it. go here to hear it...

Ashley
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this one, although I sometimes get the tune mixed up with Slippery Fish! Can't do them both in one storytime.
Tacurtin
This book could be a good choice for Storytimes as it includes sheet music encouraging the story to be sung. It has semi predictable pattern, animal sounds and colorful illustrations.
Teri
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-sing
This is another book we LOVE to sing. It's a special favorite of mine because I loved this song as a child.
Katy
Apr 14, 2016 added it
Shelves: ls-3013-02
Musical, primary, spring time, animals
Melissa
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sang this one and the kids loved it.
Edna
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mouse with a guitar sings the lyrics to this book about a little white duck who bites a lily pad and starts a chain of events with the other pond animals.
Paula
The notes for the song are in the front of the book. It could be shortened by just using 2 or three animals
Based on the song of the same title, a little white duck causes a commotion in its pond.

• If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • I Love Trains!
  • Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
  • Skip to My Lou
  • Duckie's Rainbow
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • The Seals on the Bus