Start by marking “Growing Up Jung: Coming of Age as the Son of Two Shrinks” as Want to Read:
Growing Up Jung: Coming of Age as the Son of Two Shrinks

Growing Up Jung: Coming of Age as the Son of Two Shrinks

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Wild personal history meets irreverent survey of Jungian psychology in this memoir about growing up as the son of two shrinks.

As the son of two Jungian therapists, the young Micah Toub got a double dose of insight, ranging from the flaky to the profound. Dreamwork, archetypes, conflict resolution, the mind-body connection—Toub’s childhood was a virtual laboratory of psycho
Published August 16th 2010 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Jung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Jung

Colin
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You know the book that is so good and gripping you can't put it down and you read it one day....yeah this is one of those books. Really funny, utterly honest, and really shows how Jungian psychology really does help and guide a person through life. The author is the son of two Analytical therapists who grew up learning about Jung, and being exposed to many authors, including Joseph Campbell. Throughout his life he was able to overcome challenges and be aware of his own psyche by reminding himsel ...more
Paula Dembeck
Toub grew up as the son of two practicing Jungian psychologists in Denver Colorado in the eighties. His experiences as a child were different from those of other children in his neighbourhood. Not all his boyhood friends had discussions about penis envy while in the park with their mother. There were also open discussions during family meetings at the dinner table and heady conversations in which dreams were analized and parsed for their hidden meanings.

Unlike other memoirs of children recallin
Miriam Murcutt
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is the memoir of the coming of age of Micah, the son of two never-off-duty Jungian therapists. And it was an off-the-beaten-track upbringing, worth recording; his every nuanced feeling stripped down to its barest of bones, ruthlessly analysed and reconstructed with the help of mom and pop - especially mom - through an auto-focused Jungian lens. This habit of his parents proved to be catching as Micah applied the same psychic medicine to his non-filial relationships, although on less ac ...more
Alexis
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I was intrigued by this book because it was about someone who was the child of two shrinks. I am the child of two social workers. Growing up in a social work family has definitely shaped who I am, in ways that I don't even really understand or realize.

This book was funny and pretty interesting. Michah (love that name) grew up as the son of two Jungian psychologists. This meant that he did a lot of Jungian exercises and analysis, some of which made sense (to me) and some of which were completely
Sandra
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this based on a friend's rating/review. A mix of the author's life story and the history of Jungian analysis. Interesting story - but it didn't completely gel for me. Like he needed more time to process before looking back and reflecting on his life, and to get more distance from his parents in order to tell their story. Not that life ever stops being a work in progress - but I think there's a reason that people used to write memoirs later in life. In the last chapter there are events that ...more
Cat Noe
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I now know far more about this author than I am really comfortable knowing. That hangup aside, it's well-written, pleasant, and interesting enough. If you don't have anything better to do, it's not a total waste of time.

Oh, and the author just *looks* like one of those people I automatically hate, going by the book jacket. So the fact that I still like him...

Quit while you're ahead. Yeah.

*crickets*
Cory Cooperman
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a solid biography, much less about being the child of two psychologists and much more about viewing the challenges of growing up in a modern world with a questioning mind.

Micah Toub's candor is touching, and his story is an interesting one that resonates well with me, even though my knowledge of Jung is infinitesimal and my psychological worldview does not match the semi-mysticism of the Jungians.
Jeffrey Bumiller
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Now I know a lot more about C.G. Jung and way more about Micah Toub. I didn't think I was going to like this as much as I did, I didn't really care for the first couple of chapters. But something must have changed about a quarter of the way in, it's as if the book was glued to my hands. I finished it in an afternoon.
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm split between liking & thinking it was just ok. Having done library cataloguing work at the Jung Institute in LA, I was drawn to the memoir. While it was entertaining in that "analysis of the family" kind of way, the merging of contents using Jungian philosophy may have overshadowed the "memoir" aspect of this book.
Violet
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Having always had some interest in Jungian therapy, but not having any experience, this book was a great read. It's not a heavy-duty book about Jung (or therapy, or about having parents who are therapists, or..) but it does include all of the above subjects and then some. Lots of humour, lots of insight, lots of questioning and some great explanation of Jungian theories mixed in.
Sarah Jane
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I pondered and I cringed. No child is safe from parents who mean well, but still manage to confuse with experimental techniques; not even the son of two psychologists. They did, however, manage to produce a painfully self-aware and intelligent man who knows how to write a memorable, comical and thought-provoking memoir.
Erin
Sep 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
It's not often I stop reading a book without finishing it, but Chuck convinced me to do so when I had nothing good to say about it. Normally I enjoy reading memoirs, but this was sooooo boring. Only about 1/3 is memoir, the other is explaining the psychology. Turns out I HATE psychology! Plus, there are a couple of graphic parts. So altogether, I was done.
Beverly Akerman
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was well written and engaging but I can't help feeling like these people are all sad nut cases...and that a book like this just encourages people to waste their time on endeavors like Freudian or Jungian analysis. This book is not just about first world problems but about out of this world "solutions."
Cara McKenna
Nov 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this memoir, especially since my own mother is a psychotherapist and believer in some of Jung's principles. The book didn't knock my socks clean off, but it was funny and sweet, frank and well-written. Toub does a great job of switching between his life story (70%) and injections of Jung's own biography (30%) without it seeming heavy-handed or disrupting the flow of the narrative.
Eve
Aug 27, 2010 rated it liked it
A smart and funny memoir with a bonus lesson in pop psychology. As Toub points out in the book, Jungian theory is dismissed by many as outdated today, and he does a great job of making the concepts seem fresh and relevant (while also laughing at himself when appropriate). Entertaining read.
Leslie Shimotakahara
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
An entertaining, poignant story of a boy trying to find himself, growing up as the son of two Jungian psychologists..... This book spoke to me. My full review can be read at: www.the-reading-list.com
cat
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-in-2011
2011 Book 31/100

All you need to know about why this book is both touching and hysterical can be found in this video excerpt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRa1FO... of the author reading from his memoir. "Be the erection in your life!"
Jenny
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir, 2014
I actually enjoyed reading this book. It is humorous and light-hearted and I liked that Micah experiences growth and progression even though not everything works out.

I gave the book 3 stars because it took me so long to read it. Towards the end, I just wanted to be finished.
Joni
Oct 20, 2014 added it
Shelves: abandoned, memoirs
Boring (and I'm educated as a clinical therapist) got a third of the way and I just gave up.
Mary
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it
moderately interesting memoir of growing up as the son of two Jungian psychologists. A bit too much ego and adolescent posturing. His explanation of Jungian psychology is pretty good, however.
Julie Cooper
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Funny, sweet and well written.
Ann
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hilarious, touching, and surprisingly frank. Well-written, but would have loved a bit more development.
Kirk Johnson
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
While it has its uneven moments, at its best this book is strikingly funny and insightful, and I walked away with plenty to ponder for myself. And yes, there's a reason for that bright yellow cover.
Carlos Vallarino
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book, gave insihgts on Jung's mind and his therapies, maybe might have a process myself and the guide meditation.
Jason
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-biography
So boring.
Jessie
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not "serious reading" but a great intro to Jungian psychology through the lens of a memoir. Very enjoyable.
Pascale
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The author, using examples from his life as a child of two Jungian psychologists, introduces the basic principles of C.G. Jung’s theories. A pretty interesting book.
Gabe
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Basically my childhood written by a friend of my family until I was about 12-13.

Surreal to read, but a nice book about Jung as well.
Ginny
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Funny and honest. Well done.
Kaija
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic read for anyone who has an interest in nature vs. nurture, or in psychology.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • One More Theory About Happiness: A Memoir
  • One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years
  • Mid-Life
  • An Improvised Life
  • Wide Awake: A Memoir of Insomnia
  • Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
  • The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons And Growing Up Strange
  • The Jerusalem Syndrome: My Life as a Reluctant Messiah
  • Cancer Is a Bitch: Or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis
  • Gimme Shelter
  • Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of Near-Fame Experiences
  • Dandy in the Underworld: An Unauthorized Autobiography
  • The House at the End of the Road: The Story of Three Generations of an Interracial Family in the American South
  • The Human Experiment: Two Years and Twenty Minutes Inside Biosphere 2
  • Hungry: A Mother and Daughter Fight  Anorexia
  • Nancy Cunard: Heiress, Muse, Political Idealist
  • She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir
Micah Toub grew up in Denver, Colorado, and now resides in Toronto, Canada, where he writes on psychology and other topics, including a biweekly column on relationships from a male point of view for The Globe & Mail.
More about Micah Toub...