Start by marking “Sugarplums and Scandal (Includes: Love at Stake, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Sugarplums and Scandal (Includes: Love at Stake, #2.5)

Sugarplums and Scandal (Love at Stake #2.5 (A Very Vampy Christmas))

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,919 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
SUGARPLUMS AND SCANDAL brings together the best of romance and mystery in one delightful collection of Christmas tales. In the expert hands of six of Avon's best storytellers, the holiday season takes on an air of love and scandalous surprises! Filled with Christmas miracles, romance, and suspense, this will make the perfect gift for both romance and mystery fans. Each aut ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sugarplums and Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugarplums and Scandal

Cristina•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
A Very Vampy Christmas By Kerrelyn Sparks - 4 stars
Riju Ganguly
Sep 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas and mysteries (preferably something to do with murder) has been going together for a long time in literary works, and this book tries to follow that honoured tradition. Unfortunately, the inept writing of most of the writers, have made this book an absolute dud, except for one jewel at the end.

1) “All I Want for Christmas” by Lori Avocato: One of the most moronic pieces that I have read. Henceforth, any anthology featuring this author would get a red flag from me, unless some truly exc
Soraia
A Very Vampy ChristmasKerrelyn Sparks

This is actually the only short story I read in this anthology but for those who follow Love at Stake, it's worth it. It's a follow up of the second book in the series, Vamps and the City, and Maggie got the job at DVN. She is a leading actress in "As a Vampire Turns" playing the part of Don Orlando de Corazon's lover.

Their story is great, filled with hilarious details. I never thought Sparks would make me like Don Orlando but the twist to his story was v
Amanda
I got this book for the Kerrelyn Sparks story and it did not diappoint. The tale of Maggie and her "Don Orlando" and finding our who he really is was entertaining and fun. This story takes place after book 2 but before book 4 since Ian is still young, therefore it is before he takes the stay-awake potion in Texas in book 4. I really love the characters that Kerrelyn writes and look forward to the next installment in her series. This story was a nice little bridge between stories. And I always li ...more
Missy Jane
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a struggle on what to rate this book because there were so many stories in it. Honestly almost all of them were 4 star worthy, but one dragged so much at the beginning I didn't even finish it. That's kind of rare for me. However, the whole reason I picked up this book was for Kerrelyn Sparks' story A Very Vampy Christmas, part of her Love at Stake series. My only real complain about it and the other stories I read is they are all HFN endings rather than HEA. But overall they are individua ...more
Lavendersbluegreen
I just love Holiday Stories!! This was a terrific anthology with some great authors I knew and some I did not... more additions to the TBR list! What a feast for a holiday story fan! Multiple good authors each contributed tales of mystery and romance.
Suzanne Macpherson - Holly Go Lightly
Kerrelyn Sparks - A Very Vampy Christmas
Lori Avocato - All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
Dana Cameron - The Lords Of Misrule &
Mary Daheim - The Ghost Of Christmas Passed
Sara
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Found this book to be rushed and characters were annoying didn't enjoy it at all :(
Karen Keyte
This collection includes six short mystery stories set around the holidays. Most of them also have at least a hint of romance and you’ll even come across a Christmas miracle or two. None of the selections are earth-shattering but, as with all anthologies, they give you an introduction to authors you may never have read otherwise, which is why I like to use collections like this one as a way to ‘test drive’ for writers whose works I’ve been thinking about reading. Overall, this is a passable grou ...more
Dawn (Kat N Hat)
I think that I have been mislead by this book. It was supposed to be romance/mystery. So far 2 mysteries and 1 kiss. 1 Kiss does not constitute a romance story in my book. Noticing a guy is good looking, isn't enough either.

I am going to make it through this book just because it has a short from the Love at Stake series.

Lori Avacato- All I want for Christmas.1 Star I liked the humor, but that was about all. The plot was sketchy, underdeveloped and unrealistic. There was a mystery but no Romanc
Diana
All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth:
Pauline, a medical fraud investigator, and her coworker Jagger look into a dentist who may be bilking patients out of their dentures.

This was a weird story. The pacing was very strange, making it hard to follow, and I wasn't in love with the writing style. It also is not a romance, just a work type story with romantic tension.

The Lords of Misrule:
A British 17th century household is upturned on Christmas Eve by theft and murder.

This seems to rely he
Manuela
ok I was disappointed. I read of course the Kerrelyn Sparks story first (while I was reading all her other books from the Love at Stakes series). Apart from one other story this little short story collection was pretty disappointing (oh I said that already).
The third star goes to "Partners in Crime" by Cait London. I loved Joe Berenger and although his love interest does suffer from OHCD she is quite cute and lovable. Joe agrees because he stays around and together they find a way around her ne
Ren
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Love at Stake series fans...
Just read A Very Vampy Christmas by Kerrelyn Sparks

The story featuring Maggie O' Brian, and her hero Don Orlando de Corazon...

Maggie is a fans of Don Orlando,a vampire actor, but when she knows he is a womanizing pig, she is resist him. And then she join him in vampire soap opera and realze maybe she is not hate him, yet...

Don Orlando himself, has a weakness, he has an amnesia.He dont know his true identity before he become vampire. So, with help of Maggie, he search his past. They go to New Orl
Wendy
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally I was only planning on reading Kerrelyn Sparks Love at Stake story -- A Very Vampy Christmas, but since it is December I decided to go ahead and get in the Christmas mood with a little Holiday reading.

I have to say that I was not too impressed with the first 3 stories in the book. It was very apparent that the characters in the stories were from series that I have not read and that caused the short stories hard to follow. I really felt like I had missed a lot and jumped into the stor
Juuli
Hindan vaid Kerrelyn Sparksi lugu "A Very Vampy Christmas".
Maggie meeldis mulle juba sarja teises raamatus "Vamps and the City" ja ma lootisn väga, et ta unistus töötada koos don Orlando de Corazoniga täitub. Siis avalikustas Corky kõik need jubedad lood don Orlando kohta ning Maggiet näis ees ootavat väga sünge periood.
Kerrelyn Sparks andis vastulöögi ja kirjutas lühiromaani Maggiest ja don Orlandost. Naljaka loo, mis oli samas väga südamlik ja kohati ka jahmatav ning avas sarja jaoks hoopis uu
Lenna  Wright-Berry
I only ready A Very Vampy Christmas by Kerrelyn Sparks, and this was a very good story and I was know what mostly happened when I read the other books but it was nice to actually read Maggie and Pierce (Don Orlando) story, and what really happened to Pierce when a voodoo priestess used a love spell and a memory spell on poor Pierce and who he was turned by Tootsie and Scarlet in New Orleans. With the help of 15 year old looking Ian McPhie Maggie and Peerce they find his family and his were shift ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Every story has a twist to it, and they vary between historical and modern day stories. All of these novellas have a true love that comes through and is usually unexpected. This is a Christmas book I've read before and will read again. I really enjoyed finding out how Maggie and Pierce got together from K. Sparks Love at Stake series, we hear about them together in her books and here we can see how. Good read!!
Crystal
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, traded
Alright, this was a whole lot of "what the hay?" So the rating is rounded UP. The first tale... Umm...chicklit? Kinda dumb. Second had some...issues. Third one was... Huh?! Fourth had a OCD chick who would drive ME nuts, Fifth one was pretty cute, last one...Ok, I've read most all of Sparks' series so I was more than a little puzzled at the H/h both expressing surprise at the thought of shifters.
Kouk
This review is for the short story ''A very vampy Christmas'' by Kerrelyn Sparks.
It is part of her Love at stake series.

In this cute story Maggie helps co star Don Orlando to find out more about his past.
They are both stars of the Digital Vampire Network soap ''As a vampire turns''

Don has amnesia and can't remember anything before he was turned vampire.
He and Maggie set out to find out who he really is and discover some interesting things!
Jen.
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As of today, the only one I have read in this series is Kerrelyn Sparks. I started to read one of the other ones and couldn't get into it. It will be one of those books I go back to just to see if I can get into any of the other authors. The Kerrelyn Sparks story is quick and it fills in nicely to the Love at Stake series.
Aubin
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, vampire
I only read the Kerrelyn Sparks story. It was a nice little story and another Happily Ever After for some more of the characters from Love at Stake.

I didnt really connect with Maggie, but that was ok - story was still cute. We all have messed up families and things we would rather forget. All in all it is a nice short and I would recommend it for anyone who is a Love at Stake fan.
pianogal
Feb 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I only read the Kerrilyn Sparks story - and am I ever sorry I wasted the time. I don't know why I keep reading this series. It's a little to campy for me. But here I am, back for more. I missed this one the first time around, so my timeline was even off. Ugh. Read it. Check it off the list. Moving on.
AL
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it-done-it
Surprisingly sweet.. Here i was, thinking they wont be a couple at all. But Then You surprised me again Kerrelyn. I am so happy for both of them. And you introduced us to a new species. His sister. A were-rabit right? That's so cute. Hey. I did felt bad for Ian. I hope he'll have a girl of his own. Arent they all sweet
Nell
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and enjoyable collection of short stories with a Christmas theme. All I want for Christmas, Ghost of Christmas passed, Holly Go lightly were the strongest stories. A very vampy Christmas was weak and nonsensical. Lords of Misrule was ok but the first person voice was poorly handled.
Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, christmas
I only read Kerrelyn Sparks story and although short, I found it to be an enjoyable contribution to the series with familiar humor and characters. Maggie digs deeper into playboy Don Orlando character at Christmas time.
Tamara
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 4 instead of five because I didn't like all the stories, the last 3 were great! The Kerrilyn Sparks story was awesome! and I really liked Holly Go Lightly, But the first couple were kinda blah! Not really love stories.
Marge
I only read the Kerrilyn Sparks' story, A Very Vampy Christmas. I am currently reading her "Love At Stakes" series and this was story #3 in the series. I plan to read the other stories in this anthology at another time. Rating is based on the Kerrilyn Sparks' story ONLY.
Lelah
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read three of the five stories, and the ones I read were entertaining enough (1,2, and 4). I do think the collection was misrepresented on the cover...not much scandal and nothing particularly scary about any of these.
Linda
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I really enjoyed these storeies. There were a couple of authors that I had read before so I knew characters in these stories but I also enjoyed the stories by authors that I had not read before. All together a fun Christmas read.
Angie
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the Kerrelyn Sparks story, A Very Vampy Christmas which I enjoyed since I had wondered what had happened to Maggie, who was once a member of Roman's harem. Don Orlando is not who he seems, which is a good thing!
  • A Very Vampy Christmas (Love at Stake, #2.5)
  • Bitten by Cupid (Includes: Argeneau #12.5; Offspring #2.5; Feral Warriors #3.5)
  • Night's Edge
  • A Regency Christmas VII
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
After working thirteen years as a registered nurse, four of which she felt like "Hot Lips Houlihan" while serving in the United States Air Force, Lori Avocato picked up a book and said, "Hm. I can write one of these." Yeah right!

Oh, she wrote several all right--twenty-one to be exact--but getting them published proved to be another matter. Throughout the years, she realized it was not an easy task
More about Lori Avocato...

Love at Stake (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
  • Vamps and the City (Love at Stake, #2)
  • Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, #3)
  • The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake, #4)
  • All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire (Love at Stake, #5)
  • Secret Life of a Vampire (Love at Stake, #6)
  • Forbidden Nights with a Vampire (Love at Stake, #7)
  • The Vampire and the Virgin (Love at Stake, #8)
  • Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9)
  • Vampire Mine (Love at Stake, #10)