Start by marking “A Treasury Of Great Mysteries” as Want to Read:

"The Secret"-Mary Roberts Rinehart
"The Incautious Burglar"-John Dickson Carr
"The Lamp of God"-Ellery Queen
"The Case of the

To ask other readers questions about A Treasury Of Great Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Treasury Of Great Mysteries

Jerry
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a far more blockbuster collection of great mysteries than the second volume, though, like the second volume, the final story doesn’t really strike me as a mystery. Journey Into Fear is more of a thriller; there is no actual mystery in it.

The volume opens with one of the most famous mystery stories of all time, Agatha Christie’s Hercule Poirot in Murder on the Calais Coach, though most people will know it by the movie title, Murder on the Orient Express, which is also the title it origina
Jamey
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think all the old stories are fun to read due to the changing times since original publications. My favorites in this collection was "Murder in the Calais Coach" and "Rear Window".
John
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great collection of some classic stories. They are old and sometimes a little hard to understand due to slang terms of the time, but most are really great. I hope to read more by some of the authors in this collection. It's sad/strange that there is no title page or table of contents which makes access to the titles and authors awkward at best. I'm not going to read the final "story", which is actually a complete book, Rebecca, because I read it a little over a year ago in book form.
Robin
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was disappointed to find John Beecroft was not a writer but and editor. All in all I enjoyed most of the stories. Fun mysteries. I really like Rear Window a lot! A friend found the book in an antique store and thought I'd be interested in the book and if Mr. Beecroft was a relative of mine. I'm sure he is somehow, I just haven't the foggiest on how.
Austen to Zafón
I just have volume I. Good intro to classic mid-20th-century mystery writers like Christie, Allingham, Rinehart, and Erle Stanley Gardner (whose first name must be the most used name in crosswords ever).
Cws
Oct 15, 2008 added it
Shelves: mystery
M Hay
Ski
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'll be jumping around with this one. I'm starting with Rex Stout's "Instead of Evidence"
Karin
Jan 21, 2011
Caroline
Jul 06, 2007
Karol
Sep 03, 2007
Gerri Balter
rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2014
Lisa Bishop
Oct 16, 2016
Courtni Kopietz
Jan 18, 2016
A publisher, editor, critic and anthologist who wrote one of the first serious books of criticism of the mystery/detective genre, Murder for Pleasure: The Life and times of the Detective Story , still in print and considered a classic. He also edited a number of interesting and important anthologies.
More about Howard Haycraft