Start by marking “Fourth Day (Charlie Fox, #8)” as Want to Read:
Fourth Day (Charlie Fox, #8)

Fourth Day

(Charlie Fox #8)

The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well funded and highly jealous of its privacy. Five years ago, Thomas Witney went in to try to get the evidence that the cult's charismatic leader was responsible for the death of Witney's son, Liam. Witney never came out.

Now, Charlie Fox and her partner, Sean Meyer, have been assigned to get Witney out, willing or not. But planning
Hardcover, UK, 448 pages
Published May 17th 2010 by Allison & Busby (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fourth Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourth Day

Start your review of Fourth Day (Charlie Fox, #8)
Linda C
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hated, read-2011
I HATED this book. I am surprised to see that it has an average between 3-4 stars. The only reason that I didn't give it one star was that I did finish it, albeit it reluctantly. This was my first Charlie Fox book and most likely the last. Truly NOT impressed. I understand that it is a series, but since it was a thriller, I thought erroneously that each book would be a contained story in itself. Half of the book seemed to be references to prior events, with no more than cryptic references, which ...more
RachelW (BamaGal)
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this one prepared to not like it; the cult theme is not my favorite read. What I found, however, was a layered storyline, with lots of threads intertwining...and half-truths and lies that Charlie has to ferret out. Granted, there were things here that didn’t sit well with me, especially for Charlie personally; but overall I found this to be one of the better written and paced of the series to date.
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any ...more
Hobart
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
This isn't your typical Charlie Fox novel, and in this case, that's a good thing (I can easily see where an atypical Fox novel would disturb my quiet).

Are there twists? Yup. Action? Yup. Bad guys in need of taking down? Yup. As you'd expect. A few less bullets than you'd expect.

But there was more to this. Sure, Sharp develops her characters further and further each novel--but here, they grew by leaps and bounds, a few books' worth. And it didn't seem forced or obligatory, it was wholly organic
Megan
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I didn't realize this was the 4th of a series when I started it, and that might have helped understand the character better. The heroine's past is very important to her current mindset. The books ends on an emotional low note, which is unusual, and clearly meant to set up a fifth book. Overall, a good, reasonably intelligent action novel. I had expected more of a mystery than an action book, but that's okay.
Julia
After the urgency of the flash forward opening, I had a hard time backtracking to where it all began. But other than the pacing issues, I enjoyed this one.
Woman Reading

4 Stars - emotional vulnerabilities are exploited to fatal ends

One of the many things I like about the Charlie Fox series is the variety of place settings and scenarios, which means that it doesn’t feel formulaic the way long-running detective series end up seeming. I wouldn’t naturally gravitate to a story with a religious cult, but there’s no way that I would have ignored a Charlie Fox story with it, especially since the preceding book Third Strike included a huge cliffhanger in Charlie’s
Karen Ford
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Protection specialist Charlie Fox infiltrates a compound thought to be a cult after her assignment to rescue a college professor from it goes wrong after the man is brutally murdered after being kidnapped from government custody.

This is the fourth Fox book I've read and enjoyed every one of them. Told from Charlie's perpective, her character is deeply burned emotionally but still is determined to do the right thing, come hell or high water. The only problem I had with the story is that a major
Dylan Cundiff
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic Charlie Fox mystery. Do not be scared off by the whole saving from a cult scenario. While that lays in the background, this is another good mystery and another good delve into Charlie's psyche. AS with all the books, I find myself yelling at her or Shawn multiple times throughout the book... and as usual I did not see the end coming. I enjoyed it and am really looking forward to the next book.
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is my least favorite Charlie Fox book, mainly because of the whole American cult/convoluted conspiracy topic. I guess I've had enough of those types of books already, and I didn't feel like this brought anything new to it. And, honestly, it was really unbelievable, which I don't want in my mystery thrillers. But I'll keep reading because I loved the previous books in the series.
Denise
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Unfortunately I started this series with the sequel to this cliffhanger and now can't remember what happened.

A 2 1/2 stars for this one. Storyline was a little forced IMO & Charlie's stubborness can be annoying at times.

DD@Phila
Todd
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the series. Love these books.
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Another interesting book in the Charlie Fox series. I enjoyed the fact that this book didn't quite turn out as I had predicted based on the description. The usual main characters were present in this story (Sean and parker) and I liked a few of the other characters in this book as well, particularly Gardener. There was a fair bit of action and definitely a lot of emotional angst that I'm not quite sure gets solved by the end. Another good read and I look forward to the next one in line. ...more
Best Crime Books & More
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Please note, this is the 8th in a series of books featuring Charlie Fox. For those wishing to read the series in order, maybe don’t read this review. It’s incredibly difficult to review this without inevitable plot spoilers due to the length of time the series has been going.

I am having a somewhat marathon session with this series and am now onto the 8th book in the Charlie Fox series with this latest one. When I started reading I was a little bit confused. The ending of the last book left me
Gloria Feit
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fourth Day is the name of a once subversive organization formed in the 1960's and known for its cult-like origins, but claiming to work wonders especially with vulnerable adolescents [and others] with delinquency and drug addiction problems. It has more recently been headed by one Randall Bane, its new and charismatic leader suspected of having more sinister ambitions.

This newest in the series brings back Charlotte ("Charlie") Fox and her lover, Sean Meyer, a junior partner in Armstrong-Meyer, a
Any Length
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
First review when I read this book some many years ago: I somehow stumbled into this series on book 9 and was very impressed. Now that I have read book 8 I can understand more about where Charlie is coming from. I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more of this series.

Back then I was so impressed by the characters I wanted to read the whole series. Then being distracted by so many other books I forgot the name of the author and only a few months ago with the help of Goodreads group
The Cats’ Mother
This is the 8th in the Charlie Fox and it really helps to have read the previous books to understand the characters and the relationships between them. In this one, Charlie and Sean are tasked to retrieve a man who has been living with a cult in the California desert for 5 years, but things go wrong because secrets have been kept from them and Charlie has to go into the cult herself to prevent the sinister Epps from raiding it. There are lots of twists and lots of action as usual.
I found myself
Alicia
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I will admit, this isn't normally the sort of book I read but I'm glad I took a chance and did.

Things started out a bit slow after the first, prologue chapter and it was somewhat difficult for me to get into the story. In contrast, the latter half of the book really picked up and was profoundly more fast paced and interesting. I fully approve of that play as that, in my mind, is truly fitting of a suspense novel along with the twists and turns this book presented.

I enjoyed following the main
Ed
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
#8 in the Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series. Finalist 2011 Barry Award for Best British Crime Novel. Charlie infiltrates a cult but she turns out to be more surprised than anyone. Not only were they expecting her, but they knew all about her; and, it may not even be a cult. Nothing is as it seems - as Charlie delves further she encounters layer upon layer of deception and betrayal.

Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series - The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well funded and highly jealous of its privacy.
Michelle
Sep 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
This British exmilitary, gang rape victim/survivor is now a specialist with a private company in bodyguarding/cult-rescuing/protection/killing and she goes in undercover with her boyfriend to recover a man who's been in a cult in the desert for five years. After turning him the man over to the company that ordered the rescue, the guy is killed so she goes in undercover to see what the story is all about and of course, gets sucked in by the cult leader.

Many, many aspects are not fully fleshed
Smoochys
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was fabulous, and the best in the series yet. Lee Child has been a great cheerleader for Sharp - he wasn't lying in his reviews. I don't view Charlie Fox as the female Reacher. Maybe that's what the character would be 20 years, from now, but I don't think so. They are both excellent writers with intriguing and almost fearless leads.

Fourth Day picks up a few months after Third Strike. If you haven't read any other books in the series you will still love the book, but you will appreciate
Steve Emecz
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series is excellent, and I am still giving this one four stars but I felt that in this one Sharp is trying a little too hard to make the main character Charlie Fox too 'damaged', a little too flawed. There's a lot of self-reflection creeping in and while I'd get it if it added more to the storyline, but I found myself a little distracted by it. In the first three books Charlie is built up as a tough character and it feels like this whole book was designed to take that back to pieces.

Paullei Mumme
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I felt a struggle in this book. Not only a struggle for the main character, Charlie Fox, but perhaps also a struggle for the author as her heroine must make changes in order for the past story lines impact to feel true and propel our beloved Charlie Fox forward. I expected more to be pulled from Charlie's tragedy and had hoped for more from Charlie in regards to her honesty to Sean; however, I was disappointed on both accounts. Another let down in the book is the lack of development of ...more
M.R.
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not only do I love this character by now, but Charlie has a slightly different take on most things than a typical detective would. Because personal protection comes first, her de facto detecting takes place as a subsidiary to taking care of clients. It's a different spin on the mystery genre, and a welcome one. She's brains as well as muscle. Moreover, the story here is a slightly different spin than other cult-rescue scenarios I've read and more interesting for that reason. Novelist Sharp is at ...more
Joyce
Sep 05, 2012 added it
If you haven't read any of the Charlie Fox series by Zoe Sharp I suggest you find them. Zoe refers to her writing as mystery-thrillers. Charlie Fox, the main character in every book, is a bodyguard with a past she has been unable to face. In this book, Fourth Day, Charlie faces some of her unpleasant past and realizes she could have a future with Sean if only he will...oops I would prefer not to give away the story. I will only say Zoe has once again written a hold-my-interest-give-me-more-book. ...more
Gelina ciriacruz
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Picked this up without knowing that this is the 8th book of as series. With that said, I think i was really easy to understand, not like other series where you have to start from the very beginning. Also, the book is really packed with ACTION! I mean, yes it's completely knew to me since I don't really read action novels, but I have to say that it did keep me up for a two nights :)

The only down side is, there are terms that I really did not get. military terms..

All in all it was a good read :)
Al

The cult calling itself Fourth Day is well-funded and fiercely guards its privacy. Five years ago Thomas Witney went in to try and get evidence that the cult's charismatic leader, Randall Bane, was responsible for the death of Witney's son. Witney never came out.

Now, ex-Special Forces soldier turned bodyguard, Charlie Fox, agrees to go undercover into Fourth Day's California stronghold. A fast covert op – no real danger for someone with her mindset and training. But Charlie is not prepared for

Jane
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While dealing with her personal life, Charlie volunteers. Oh no,nothing good can come from volunteering in her profession,can it? But inexplicably she needs to escape from her friends,her nearest and dearest and herself in this book. Action and intrigue abound,yet again. The pace keeps you running the whole way and the twist in this one are deadly and the consequences ripple forward into the future. Enticed enough? You should be! Another cracker in the thrilling series.
"Avonna
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Charlie once again has me reading way past my bedtime! So much of this story was about trust. The main plot centers around a supposed cult and its charismatic leader, but if you read the series, you are also waiting for some life changing answers from the previous book. Those answers are given and the book ends with another which has me so grateful to be behind in these books so that I can buy the next right away.
Jeri
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Take a deep breath before you start reading this book, cuz you won't for a long time! What is really going on at Fourth Day? Is it a wacko violent religious cult? Is the leader evil or good? What is Charlie doing there? And what is going on with her and Sean? Well, I'm not tellin'. All I can say is write faster, Zoe! This cliff hanger at the end is excruciating!
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: issue with ISBN? 5 15 Nov 04, 2015 02:41PM

• The Hitwoman Goes to Prison (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #21)
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Fatal Accusation (Fatal, #15)
  • Dead Water (DCI Michael Lambert #0.5)
  • Darkness on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #10)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
  • The Hitwoman's Juggling Act (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #19)
  • Swamp Santa (Miss Fortune Mystery #16)
  • Stalking Ground (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #2)
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • Until the Debt is Paid  (Jan Tommen Investigation #1)
  • Home Truths
  • Dead White (A Dakota Mystery #1)
  • Dead Dreams (A Dakota Mystery #2)
  • The Last Teacher (Mackenzie August #0.5)
  • Dead Wrong (A Dakota Mystery #3)
  • Dead News (A Dakota Mystery Book 5)
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.

Charlie Fox (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Trial Under Fire (Charlie Fox, #0)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox, #1)
  • Riot Act (Charlie Fox, #2)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox, #5)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox, #7)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox, #10)