Start by marking “Doctor Who: Night of the Humans” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Night of the Humans

Doctor Who: Night of the Humans

(Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #38)

'This is the Gyre - the most hostile environment in the galaxy...' 250,000 years' worth of junk floating in deep space, home to the shipwrecked Sittuun, the carnivorous Sollogs, and worst of all - the Humans. The Doctor and Amy arrive on this terrifying world in the middle of an all-out frontier war between Sittuun and Humans, and the countdown has already started. There's ...more
Published April 22nd 2010 by BBC Books (first published April 10th 2010)

Peter
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a typical piece of teen Doctor Who and while it is not my cup of tea compared to other books in the range, it wins on one unique feature. This is a perfect Matt Smith episode. He as captured the mannerisms of his Doctor perfectly of which very few can lay claim. You could convince yourself that this was one of your favourite episodes years later only to realise that duh!

Recommended for people who want to capture the essence of the new Doctors.
Chey
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first Doctor Who book I've read with Eleven. And I loved it, of course. I love everything Doctor Who related. There is only one thing that bugged me, it's also the reason why I gave it 3 stars in stead of 4.

The POV switch.

Too many, and something (a lot of the times) it wasn't very clear from which POV I was reading. So that was very confusing. But apart from that I loved it. It was kinda weird to read humans as savages in the year 250.000. You would think we would be extremely smar
Daniel Montgolfier
May 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
So, for a Doctor Who serial based on the TV show (actors and all) and written by someone who is intimately associated with the subject, I would give this five stars. It's a pretty good story for doctor who, not as good as midnight or blink or silence in the library or in the time of angels or the eleventh hour or the impossible planet. But, those were all episodes, so whatever.
As a novel, though,
Even as a chapter book,
I found this grotesque.
And this coming from the guy who read Pendragon and Tw
Kimberley doruyter
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
kinda mad max in space.
osoi
Еще вчера ты легла спать с мыслью о волнительном событии, предполагающем обмен кольцами и клятвами, а уже сегодня ты пытаешься выжить на космической свалке, населенной варварами. Ты встречаешь инопланетян, таких странных внешне, но понятных на интуитивном уровне. Бросаешь все силы, дабы спасти своего длинноногого спутника, хотя по всем законам жанрам это должен делать он. А еще ты видишь, слышишь, существуешь в тот самый момент, когда целая планета обращается в прах, потому что было выбрано «мен ...more
Tatiana
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Series 5-6 DW fans
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Two hundred fifty thousand years in the future, a comet by the name Schuler-Khan is headed straight for the Gyre, a magnetic plain fashioned out of space debris and refuse. A war is waging between the inhabitants of the Gyre, the so-called “humans,” and the Sittuun, a team of aliens armed with a bomb large enough to destroy the Gyre before Schuler-Khan’s impact obliterates the surrounding galaxy. The Doctor and Amy are pulled into the situation when they land on the Gyre at the summons of a myst ...more
Sean Kennedy
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is more like it! The second brand new Who book with Eleven and Amy Pond reads like a rollicking pulp sci-fi novel, but of course with that true Doctor dilemma that leaves him having to make a choice over the safety of a few versus the safety of many. I hope that the next lot of books are as satisfying as this one.
Rachel
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The story-line is rather creative, but I feel like there were several moments that were out-of-character from the TV series. Granted, this was one of the earlier books from the Eleventh Doctor's run so that may be part of the problem. Like, the scene with Amy asking the Doctor if he was jealous of her new friend, I could not see that ever actually being a scene between Amy and the Doctor. It felt more like a conversation between Ten and Rose.

Also, the Doctor made a couple very poor decisions ne
Robin
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting premise, with the Tardis materialising on a morass of solidified junk floating in space - rather like the Sargasso Sea. Aliens whose language is so unpronounceable to humans they adopt human names (it was bizarre having aliens with Syrian names, but I got used to it after a while) and whose culture was significantly different from human cultures made a nice change from a lot of DW novels where the aliens seldom have much of a culture to speak of.
The plot rolls along at a fair pac
Claudia
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Set during the long night before Amy's Wedding, this is an Eleventh Doctor and Amy story, where they encounter interesting aliens and humans.

There was a lot I liked about this book; the Sittun, the gyre, the background to the story, but I felt that a couple of the characters were too obviously just there to be killed off horribly, and a few of the allegories were a little too heavy-handed.

Enjoyable but not essential.
Beth
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
What a pile of crap - 2*

Snore. This book definitely helped me to sleep. The plot was drivel and just so lackluster. The humans were the enemies and yeah I got it. It had some promise but The 11th Doctor and Amy were separated, which seemed to also mean that their personalities were separated.

Dull. I can't even be bothered to write a decent review about this.
Carolyn
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was super boring and dry and I didn't like it.
Jennifer Baratta
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review on Audiable.
Jim C
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A book based on the television series. This one has Matt Smith's Doctor and his companion Amy. In this book, they visit a planet that is basically one giant garbage heap. This planet is about to be hit by a comet that will destroy this planet and set pieces of it throughout space.

This was a likable read from this universe. My first point in reading this type of novel is the portrayal of the television characters. The author accomplished this as I had no problem picturing Matt Smith and Karen Gil
Rae
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans, soft sci fi fans, geeks like myself
Let me just preface this review by saying that if Arthur Darvill ever voices a character in an animated movie, I will go to see it, as his reading of this audiobook is so absolutely fantastic.

250,000 years in the future, the planet-sized heap of space junk known as the Gyre is right in the collision path of a massive comet…a comet that, if it collides, will send city-sized chunks of debris hurtling toward multiple nearby planets and possibly destroying billions. Rhythmic drumming echos from an
Rodney
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
Eh. I read it, but nothing special.
Keri Payton
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
(From my blog: Quill Café)

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

Thousands of years into our future, Amy Pond and the Doctor follow a distress signal and find themselves on a vast terrain of space junk. Their feet hardly planted, Amy and the Doctor find themselves separated and taken hostage by two separate races – the Sittuun and the Humans.

With a c
Rachel
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. They do a good job of writing in a way that allows you to "see" how it would play out on screen.
Tanabrus
Questa storia del Doctor Who si colloca dopo il terzo episodio della quinta stagione, L’arma di Churchill.
Amy Pond è ancora nuova al mondo del Dottore, avendo viaggiato solamente una volta nel futuro (nel Regno Unito volante sopra la balena spaziale) e una nel passato, in risposta alla chiamata di Churchill.

Risulta abbastanza facile collocare la storia temporalmente vista la sua acerbità come compagna, vista l’acerbità pure del Dottore (che ancora sembra stare sperimentando la gestualità del nuo
S.A. Hopkins
Book 16/ 100
Book: Doctor Who: Night of the Humans
Author: David Llewellyn
ISBN: 978-1-846-07969-6
Pages: 247

For those who don’t know (Although I can’t imagine there are that many of ya) Doctor Who is a long running British science fiction TV series about an alien, The Doctor, who has a time machine, the TARDIS, that’s disguised as a 1960s style Police telephone box. The Doctor generally travels with companions, who are usually, but not always, human. And this year, 2013, is Doctor Who’s 50th annive
J.E. Remy
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
There's part of me that longs for the days that the Doctor Who books were written for an older audience, and this book is no exception.

The introduction had unnecessary confusion, in some extraneous attempt to make the alien race seem more human than the humans on the junk planet. It didn't really help the story, especially since the secondary characters were written well enough—even over-the-top characters like “Dirk Slipstream” (who reminded me of Ace Rimmer with the voice and mustache of Terry
Syrdarya
Amy and the eleventh Doctor travel to a place called The Gyre. It's not even a planet, but rather a place where trash has piled up for thousands of years, creating a harsh planet-like atmosphere. They encounter two civilizations. One is a group of humans, who crashlanded there hundreds of years before and whose civilization took unusual twists and turns based on the Gyre, the leftover Western movies one of the shipmates left behind, and the logo of the company who owned their ship. The other is ...more
Meagan
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ally Atherton
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Night of the Humans is part of BBC Book's collection of novels based around the TV Series and features the 11th Doctor and Amy. Landing on a junkyard in space they find themselves caught in between a battle between two alien societies, the Sittuum and a futuristic but savage version of Humans. A devastating comet is on it's way to cause imminent destruction and they face a race against time to save themselves and everybody else.

This is a fun and quick read and I found it much more readable tha
Elizabeth
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Night of the Humans is one of the Doctor Who novelizations, in case you haven't already figured that out. It starts with a log from a ship that has crash landed and how day by day they are losing more members of the crew.

The log ends with "The humans are coming."

The Doctor and Amy pick up a distress signal through space and time. Of course, this is still technically the Doctor, so he goes to rescue them.

It turns out that the ship crashed on what is basically a large pile of space junk and the
Avarill
Jun 02, 2010 rated it liked it
A solid, satisfying story that is by turns clever and surprisingly gritty. The gyre itself - a giant, swirling vortex of trash in deep space - is an excellent setting for a novel. The constraints of the SF budget limit deep space stories like this and it's always a pleasure to see an author taking advantage of the cheap special effects at their disposal.

Llewellyn likes to turn assumptions on their head. Adult readers may not his concepts particularly ground-breaking but they do add a refreshing
Corey Dutson
May 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: doctor-who, kindle
Ne'er have I cared so little about every character in a Who novel before. Nothing grabbed me about Night if the Humans. I truly didn't care about who lived and who got eaten by slugs.

The writing itself was fine, and all the mechanics were there, but for me it didn't actually get me into the story at all. Amy is amazingly un-amyish, the antagonists were cookie cutter, and the support team were boring. Any attempt to give them depth was negated by the fact that most of them died 3 pages later. Ev
Jenna
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
It was definitely an interesting read, but I did find it a little difficult to get into at first. I didn't particularly empathise with any of the characters aside from Amy and the Doctor, obviously, but I did feel incredibly bad for the humans that were living on the planet. The ending I feel was expected, with those that you thought would survive doing so.

This book very much reminded me of The Doctor's Daughter, with the two sides, and being influenced by those generations before them. And I al
Stewart
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty ridiculous, even by Doctor Who standards. It's a shame, since the idea of a cosmic junk pile forming at some kind of libration point is actually a great idea, and could have been exploited quite nicely in an entirely different story. Unfortunately, throwing some sort of mystical key that wreaks havoc with gravity, a cult of clown-worshipping humans, and other ludicrous indigenous lifeforms and terrain just botch the job horribly.

Now Dirk Slipstream, he's a character that wou
Rachel Berthelot
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Je ne suis pas une experte Whovian, mais ça se sent que l'auteur a travaillé étroitement avec la Production (comme il le précise à la fin du livre).

J'ai vraiment eu l'impression de voir un épisode de la série. La couverture représentant Matt Smith, je n'ai eu aucun mal à visualiser ses expressions, mimiques et attitudes. L'écriture est fluide, l'humour intacte, et le rythme assez soutenu pour qu'on ne s'ennuie pas.
Mon seul regret (par rapport à la série télévisée) reste l'absence des séquences
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten Army
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
  • Doctor Who: Shining Darkness
  • Doctor Who: Dead of Winter
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
David Llewellyn is a Welsh novelist and script writer. He grew up in Pontypool and graduated from Dartington College of Arts in 2000. His first novel, Eleven, was published by Seren Press in 2006. His second, Trace Memory, a spin-off from the BBC drama series Torchwood, was published in March 2008. Everything Is Sinister was published by Seren in May 2008. He has written two novels for the Doctor ...more

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man