Start by marking “Out of Sync: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Out of Sync: A Memoir

Out of Sync: A Memoir

Lance Bass tells all about his life, his music, and his sexuality in this candid, compelling memoir.

At sixteen, Lance Bass received a phone call from Justin Timberlake that would change his life forever. Soon after, he left his small-town home in Clinton, Mississippi, to join an emerging musical group called *NSYNC. Two years later *NSYNC was inspiring Beatles-esque mania
Published October 23rd 2007 by Gallery Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Sync, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Sync

Shelley
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media
I will not lie, I adored this book. I wonder if it was written like John Barrowman's - his words transcribed and edited into format. Because this was not well enough written to be completely done by a ghost writer, but not badly enough done to just be Lance. *g*

It wasn't nearly as dishy as all of his promo interviews have been, which is sad. And it didn't really give that much new info. I do wonder at what has been cut or was never put in. It was nice having some fan ideas confirmed (JC was the
Elizabeth Wylder
I learned from this book that there's no limit to the number of times an author can use the word "amazing" in a single volume.
Lee
I KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT COSMONAUTS NOW.
Sandy Looker
Mar 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yes. I did, indeed, read this "book". And yes, it is, in fact, as bad as you thought it would be...and then some.
Here I thought I'd be getting a juicy, in depth, secret look into the life of Lance, and his fellow NSYNCers, complete with all of the gossip and behind-the-scenes looks at their strange "brotherhood", and all I got was a high school essay on Lance's life story. I felt like the details revealed were on the surface of the surface level. There wasn't one piece of dirt in there that we
Amantha
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to rate this. I bought it because it was a dirt cheap hilarious find on a quest to Powell's, but it's...not well written. At all. It reads like a late-teenage girl's inner monologue. I will not remember anything about this book in a month. But on the other hand, it sure was a throwback to my preteen years so that was cool. I always did prefer NSYNC to BSB (but tbh I thought 98* had better songs).

Anyway. 4 stars for the quadruple entendre title lol.
life's a fairy tale
So its hard to rate this book because I'm a huge *NSYNC fan.

So the actual book.... I thought time wise it was ALL over the place. I guess being such a big fan I was surprised to discover how much I actually already knew. In fact, not much of the book was new information. There were a number of parts that could have gotten so juicy but just stopped as if to not reveal any "good" information.

This book left me sad. I feel like they abandoned their fans and the entire group ended up being a sham fo
Lindsay
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really liked this book. It felt very real and honest and kind of makes me want to start living life. And its short so he gets right to the point. Talks about his childhood and how he started singing and how he joined NSYNC and all about the crazy fans and atempting his childhood dream of going into space and what if felt like to be gay while in a super popular boy band. He seems like a really nice guy. And he seems devoted to his fans and was heartbroken when NSYNC split up (it was Justin's fa ...more
Justin
Jan 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
my two favorite passages:

"That truth penetrated my soul like a razor-sharp blade slicing directly through my heart."

and

"...how we had been as fast and high-flying as the luxury jet I was on before we had, at the peak of our success, crashed head-on into the side of a career-stopping mountain called solo stardom."

gold, basstronaut, gold!
Jaclyn
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Candid and entertaining.
Shannan
Terrible writing, but who cares? It was a fun inside perspective on the rise and fall of my most loved Boy Band ever.
Lea
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was the fact that the book was maybe 196 pages, or maybe it was the fact that the book felt like a coloring book (the texture of the pages was weird), but I was immediately thrown off by this book.

I wasn't expecting a memoir to be so short, especially from someone who was in a number one selling band in the world, selling out stadiums, and breaking album release records, all the while hiding his true identity.

Granted, I read it in 2017, 10 years after the book came out, and in a more op
Maria
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a teenager when *NSYNC was really big and I know a lot of their music. I was never really invested in the band, though, and didn't know much about them before reading this book. That being said, I really enjoyed getting to peek behind the curtain and to learn more about Lance Bass.

It must have been quite difficult to grow up as a gay man first in a conservative rural area of the US during the 80s and then while being in a very successful boyband catering to teenage girls. I think it is sad
Jody
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a massive fan of the pop craze back in the 90's. I had to Read this book directly after finishing Victoria Beckham's.

I enjoyed this book. Lance was always the under rated member of *NSYNC. I was always more of a BSB fan, but there is always something about those members of the group who they tend to stick in the background to sway that intrigues me (Lance Bass, Kevin Richardson, Victoria Beckham, etc.).

I think this book could have went into more depth. I feel like a lot of it was glazed ov
Faye Weiner
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me beach. Omg, did I love reading about *NSync. They were (and still are) my favorite musical group. I will never turn off the radio if they come on. A very simple, yet hard and fast rule I follow.

The reason this book gets 4 stars was because I'm not the biggest fan of autobiographies: but it never stops me from reading them. I love diving into someone else's life. And this one felt more like a story as it was written in chronological order... But it is lacking a star because he's
Katie Saesan
A really quick and easy read- finished within 24 hours. It's not the most well-written of books, but the story of Lance's rise to popstar success, attempt to go to space, and his eventual coming out was engaging enough for this girl who basically peed her pants any time she saw/heard/thought about *NSYNC. If that was you, too, I'd recommend this if you haven't read it yet. Perhaps the fact that it took me so long to read this should take me down a notch on my megafan status, but give me a break. ...more
Alisha
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just wanted to see what he had to say about Justin.
Josh
I'm torn about this book. On the one hand, there were parts that were interesting such as the formation of this band and its battle with their handler, Lou Perlman. On the other hand, too much felt glossed over or written in a very superficial manner. Over the years I have heard Lance Bass described as a nice Southern gentleman. That may be a nice compliment, but it does not translate well into an autobiography. Bass provides no real depth into his struggles with his sexuality, his first sexual ...more
Rochelle Medrano
* -- This is my first time to read a memoir. Remembered back then that I was a fan of *NSYNC's songs but not a huge fan of the members (since internet wasn't invented yet) I wasn't also able to know them individually.

Was amazed of Lance's story. Also inspired by the life he lived throughout his teenage years, by living his dreams until he grew up, by facing the crowd to be free from the sexuality pressure and by the love of his fans to him and his unending love to his fans, friends and family.
Elizabeth
Could have dug deeper

This is the hardest two stars I've ever given a book. It wasn't bad... Not at all. I simply thought it could have delved deeper. I was (and still am) a fan of Lance and NSYNC. Maybe that was my problem. ;) I was the teenybopper girl that read every magazine article, went to every concert, and grew attached to every album.

Reading this book years later as an adult, I was hoping to gain insight on Lance, the guy, that had consumed so much of my preteen focus, only to feel like
Devin Tait
While it was entertaining to read what went on behind the scenes during N*Sync's rapid rise to fame - even though I wasn't particularly a fan - I felt that many details were left out, and the pace of the book moved so fast that sometimes it felt like I was reading a summary rather than a novel.
Especially disappointing was the lack of real details that Lance was willing to reveal about his personal life, giving only broad hints and changing people's names, etc. All in all, it felt too much like h
Tiff
Mar 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I really wanted to hear Lance's story but the writing, even the introduction, was so poor that sometimes I wasn't sure I could finish it. I know that this was Lance's voice and his words but it really needed some polishing. If the timeline had been more clear and some of the awkward phrasing had been cleaned up (and the exclamation marks removed) the book would have been much better.

Despite all of the issues with the writing and the disjointed way the story was told I did feel that I had a more
Amy Mikaelson
I bought this book being a long time *NSYNC fan and while Lance wasn't my favorite, I was actually lucky enough to get a signed copy and meet him at a signing in LA. He was really nice and sweet! And the book really opened my eyes to the things he was going through this whole time as a gay male. I had no idea but I can totally see why he and Joey are so close, being that he was the member of the group who was right there by his side from the very beginning and non-judgmental. If you really want ...more
lielabell
I have gained a great deal of respect for Lance Bass after reading this book. He doesn't have a bad word to say about anybody... even people who certainly deserve it.

Three stars because the book, while being a wonderful character study of Lance Bass, is not the best example of modern writing. It's an incredibly easy read though, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has and interest in Lance Bass, *NSYNC, or would like to spend a few hours enjoying a sunshine and roses approach to t
Heather
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was inevitable that I would eventually pick up this book. I was (and still am) a big *NSYNC fan, and a bigger Lance fan. As much as I already knew, I was interested to hear everything from Lance's POV. Honestly, I was impressed with his honesty, and I was pleased to see that he didn't spill the beans on any of the other members of the band. That's not what this book was ever supposed to be about. Honestly, for a "memoir" written by a member of a "boy band", I thought that this was a great rea ...more
Tiffany
I put this book on my wish list for my birthday partly as a joke and partly because it was Lance's book and I thought I might like reading it.

I finished it in a day (its only 192 pages in medium print) but I had to stop before Chap. 5 because I knew that would be the space chapter. The following would be the end of the group. If you're an oldschool 'NSYNC fan, the book will be a trip down memory lane for you. Read it. It won't take long and its good for nostalgia.
Alex
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I was never really an N Sync fan (I was more of a Backstreet Boys girl), but I saw this was available to download from my library and I decided to give it a try.

Lance comes across as such a kind and genuinely lovely person, which made this seem like a better book than it probably really was. Still, it was entertaining enough and the chapters about him training for the space shuttle (which I never even knew about!) were extremely interesting.

All in all, a decent memoir.
Tara Calaby
Dec 16, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: *NSYNC fans
Well, Lance certainly isn't a writer. I think I went into this hoping that it'd be an important GLBT piece of writing but, of course, it isn't. It reads a lot like the silly teen biographies of *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys that I have, and doesn't go much further beneath the surface than those did. Still, fans of *NSYNC and Lance in particular will probably enjoy hearing some of the facts from the horse's mouth, and it doesn't stray too far into kiss & tell territory.
Coen
Jun 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's hilarious that I picked up this book. Ya know, it wasn't bad, either. I had a good time reading it. Learned some things about Nsync and the Backstreet Boys. I learned a lot about the industry and how it all works. I never would have really thought about it. It really gives you an inside look at Nysnc and most of all Lance. I never knew about his space experiences or the story of how Nysnc finally came to fall apart. Really interesting.
Jdetrick
I think that Lance Bass actually does have an interesting story to tell....it's sad that this book doesn't tell it. Well, that's not technically true. The book dutifully covers the important events of his life, but it's very superficial and not told in an interesting way. I would have enjoyed a deeper look into how he was affected by his experiences and what was going on in his head. Ultimately, the book is unsatisfying.
Auntkel
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like *nsync as much as i do you'll love this book. Lance acutally tells us quite a bit that happened in his personal life. What surprised me was how he was able to keep his homosexuality a secret from the other guys so long. Oh and by the way you guys Lance is a singer and a dancer not an author or an English major so if you expected it to be brilliantly written, im not surprised you were dissappointed.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life
  • High School Confidential: Secrets of an Undercover Student
  • Me
  • Snow Angel
  • Queer 13: Lesbian And Gay Writers Recall Seventh Grade
  • Tell Them I Didn't Cry: A Young Journalist's Story of Joy, Loss, and Survival in Iraq
  • Unconditional Love (Seven Days, #2)
  • Paulie
  • Ordinary People
  • The Sensualist & the Untouched
  • Touch Me, I'm Sick: The 52 Creepiest Love Songs You've Ever Heard
  • Measure of Peace (Measure of Devotion, #3)
  • I Have Chosen to Stay and Fight
  • Every Frat Boy Wants It
  • More Than the Ball
  • The Whitney I Knew
  • Gunnin' For Love (The Cowboy Gangster, #2)
  • The Skeptical Vegan: My Journey from Notorious Meat Eater to Tofu-Munching Vegan--A Survival Guide
James Lance Bass, best known as Lance Bass, is an American pop singer, actor, film and television producer, and author. He grew up in Mississippi and rose to fame as the bass singer for the American pop boy band 'N Sync. 'N Sync's success led Bass to work in film and television. He starred in the 2001 film On the Line, which his company, Bacon & Eggs, also produced. Bass later formed a second ...more