Start by marking “Building iPhone Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript: Making App Store Apps Without Objective-C or Cocoa” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
What people are saying about Building iPhone Apps w/ HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

"The future of mobile development is clearly web technologies like CSS, HTML and JavaScript. Jonathan Stark shows you how to leverage your existing web development skills to build native iPhone applications using these technologies."

--John Allsopp, author and founder of Web Directions

"Jonathan's
Published January 26th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Building iPhone Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

Michael Hawkes
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
I don't consider myself much of a programmer. Creating webpages with HTML and CSS is pretty easy, but when it comes to working with PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, or other languages, I frequently turn to books and tutorials to help me figure out what's possible vs. what I want to accomplish. Building iPhone Apps… by Jonathan Stark shows n00b programmers like myself, how to make apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch. However, it's more acurate to say that it teaches people to make websites using an iPhone- ...more
Akos Hochrein
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
tl;dr: The book was fine, it might be boring for web developers.

If you are a senior web developer, you should probably read about something else, which is newer. Since the book came out in 2010, many technologies have emerged in web development, that increase productivity and reduces the dicking-around time of engineers. The emergence of Twitter's Bootstrap library with responsive elements have taken over the desktop and mobile web app development scene, making some of the content of this book o
Ismail Elshareef
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
First off, the title is completely misleading. Almost every chapter in the book covers how to build iPhone-specific web applications using HTML 5 and CSS3 specs. The last two chapters, and only the last two chapters, address converting these iPhone web apps into iPhone native apps using PhoneGap and then submitting them to the Apple Store. Even then, the information covered in these two chapters was rudimentary at best.

I probably shouldn't have had such high expectations, but the reputation of
Jaanis H
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simple and easy to follow tutorial style book on how to build a mobile optimized web application and transform it into native app afterwards. Great intro into that world, even if you have little or no experience with HTML/CSS/JS. The book covers a lot of areas, giving the reader just enough information to start building applications.
I missed some more in depth information in some chapters, but I think going into too much details was not the goal of this book.
Did not give the maximum rating beca
Jodi
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was pretty easy to get through because it was just reading about and following an example app. One of my favorite things about it is Jonathan's ability to very simply explain not only the HTML, CSS and JS he used but WHY he made certain choices. Yes, that wasn't the reason he wrote the book, but it just made me so damn happy that everything was explained so well.The 'why' is something I feel is missed in a lot of the how-to books I've read before so I was ecstatic to find a book that o ...more
Andy
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very good book, with a few faults.

Native code was almost entirely glossed over, which is ignoring one of the fundamentals of iPhone apps.

Some of the aspects of publishing and distributing apps could have been expanded on, and some details on how to do this would have been benificial earlier in the book.

Overall though, it is a good basis for building a first few apps and getting an overview of iPhone development. For a proper grounding to become an iPhone developer this is not sufficient.
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
When I ordered this book from the library I couldn't see the subtitle "with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript". I was actually looking for a book on Objective-C, and this is the opposite. I decided to give it a try anyway, and I'm glad I did. Not all iPhone "apps" need to be actual apps. For a great many things a website is the optimal solution. This book addresses questions like working offline and styling your website to look like an iPhone application. Definitely worth a read before you dive into Obj ...more
A. Jesse
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Want to build a web app for iPhone that acts like a native app, then package the code into a real app that you can sell in the App Store? This book walks you through, start to finish. For a developer like myself who's competent in web and Objective-C programming, there's a lot of "duh" material, but I appreciate Stark's commitment to the noobs. And most of the book is serious instruction targeted at getting you up and running as swiftly as possible. I feel ready.
Arielle Nguyen
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book material is almost exactly the same like the Android version. Would have been better if author combines them and mention the use of PhoneGap to create Windows, Symbian and Blackberry versions. And maybe even better if author goes over jQuery Mobile and other mobile libraries. The author teaching style is to break down and explain each step of JS, CSS. If you are already good at the web dev, you can finish the book in 1 hour ;)
Preston Lee
Feb 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: technology, mobile
The first couple chapters cover rudementary web development tasks that existing geeks will quickly skim. The sections on iPhone/Mobile Safair-specific JavaScipt, CSS, and client-side storage are great overviews, and are probably why you'd buy this book in the first place. The sections on packing webapps into native applications suitable for submission to the Apple app store is also nifty.
Patrick Matte
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-ux-strategy
J'ai commencé à le lire il y a quelques semaines et je viens de terminer. Une approche avec JQTouch et PhoneGap. Très différent de The Web Designer's Guide to iOS Apps. La méthode semble solide.
Chris
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think overall, this book was an easy read. Loved the examples and the progression from a simple web app to full native code.
nora
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
للمهتمين ببناء برامج الجوال باستخدام تقنيات الويب ،، الكتاب مناسب جدا للمبتدئين من الصفر ، مبسط و شامل لكل شي من البدايه الى نشر التطبيق في الآب ستور :)
Jayachandra
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Think Python
  • CSS3 For Web Designers
  • OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 2
  • Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites
  • Perl Best Practices: Standards and Styles for Developing Maintainable Code
  • Natural Language Processing with Python
  • Learning PHP and MySQL
  • Learning Perl

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jonathan Stark is a mobile and web application consultant who the Wall Street Journal has called an expert on publishing desktop data to the web. He has written two books on web application programming, is a tech editor for both php|architect and Advisor magazines, and is quoted in the media on internet and mobile lifestyle trends. Jonathan began his programming career more than 20 years ago on a ...more
More about Jonathan Stark...