Start by marking “Minu pere ja muud loomad (Corfu Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Minu pere ja muud loomad (Corfu Trilogy, #1)

Minu pere ja muud loomad (Corfu Trilogy #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  25,683 Ratings  ·  2,066 Reviews
Üks kümneaastane poiss või tüdruk ei pruugi veel midagi teada tökatmustadest jõgedest ega sellestki, millist õhku ta linnas sisse hingab. Ta ei ole veel hirmul looduse saatuse pärast ja talle lihtsalt meeldib iga liblikas, varblane või rohututt, sõltumata sellest, kas ta ise elab keset asfalti või keset metsi.
«Minu pere ja muud loomad» on raamat kõigepealt just sellistele
Published 1994 by RKE (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Minu pere ja muud loomad, please sign up.

Jamie I'm not sure if you mean The Durrells which is the most recent 'adaptation'. That show is not like the book at all! The book is very funny and…moreI'm not sure if you mean The Durrells which is the most recent 'adaptation'. That show is not like the book at all! The book is very funny and beautifully written, focusing mostly on the wildlife of Corfu and humorous things the family do in reaction to Gerry's pet collection. The T.V. show seems to focus on human love affairs and sex which are curiously absent from the actual source material...stick with the book, it's much better! :)(less)
Inana They CAN be read standalone, but I recommend you read "My family and other animals" first (or buy the 1-volume trilogy). Then you'll be hooked (or…moreThey CAN be read standalone, but I recommend you read "My family and other animals" first (or buy the 1-volume trilogy). Then you'll be hooked (or not) and will want to read the rest - in whatever order you find them. I've re-read most of them over the past ≈30 years, and think the earlier books are the best. Later ones were to fund the zoo that he eventually, wonderfully, DID start on the island of Jersey. (less)

Aleksandra
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-joy
The first from the trilogy and the first of Durrel's I've ever read. No words can express my love for this author and his immense sense of humor, pure and light, nothing topical or scathing beneath. I remember vividly laughing out loud on the streets and on buses while reading it, so wisely consider your reading spot! Howling with laughter in public places might cause you troubles, but the best part - you won't care a bit and will always consider it worthy!
Jola
I loved 'My family and Other Animals'(1956) by Gerald Durrell from start to finish, thoroughly and in detail. That's why I will tell you about it from A to Z.

A is for animals
The way Gerald Durrell describes them is unbeatable. He casts a spell on you not only when he portrays quite spectacular species but also quite prosaic ones.

Gerry Durrell.
[Image source]

B is for bathing-costume
The chapter in which mother purchases an extravagant garment, 'covered from top to bottom with hundreds of frills an
Kevin Ansbro
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Escapists, nature-lovers, people who find humour in commonplace situations.
A delightful, lyrical and altogether MAGICAL read.
*WARNING* Review includes mention of tortoise sex!

It's usually a huge mistake to return to a childhood favourite, hoping it would be just as good the second time around. So, when I found this book in the attic, with its dog-eared cover held together with Sellotape and its pages jaundiced with age, I had mixed feelings about reading it again.
(A side note to any fellow Brits who once strode majestically in platform shoes: the price on the book was
Robin
This is a perfectly charming memoir written by Gerald Durrell, a well known British naturalist and zookeeper. It's charming because it chronicles his experiences with his family on Corfu, as a 10-year-old animal enthusiast. It's charming because it is beautifully written. It's charming because it is humorous. It's charming because his family is so colonial and ooze Englishness but at the same time are quite unconventional.

For all those reasons, I would recommend this book and indeed, I had a fe
Jonathan
I went back and decided to write a review on this non-fictional novel/memoir (not all events are fully true I believe) which is considered by some to be a modern classic.

I remember finding a box of Gerald Durrell stories on the shelf as a twelve year old and reading them in luxury. They captivated me as Durrell told the story of his childhood in Corfu hunting animals. Not only was it full of interesting facts about the animals he caught but also about the people in his life. Told with wit, humo
Margitte
"I would like to make a point of stressing that all the anecdotes about the island and the islanders are absolutely true. Living in Corfu was rather like living in one of the more flamboyant and slapstick comic operas." - thus claims Gerald Durrell in his Speech of Defense - or as other authors would prefer to call it: The Foreword or Introduction.

Gerard Durrell: My grateful thanks then to:
My wife, who pleased me by laughing uproariously when reading the manuscript, only to inform me that it was
Chrissie
I just finished My Family and Other Animals. It's VERY, very good. It's light, it’s fun and in fact what it teaches about animals, human beings included, is absolutely spot-on! It teaches about animals which a lay person doesn't usually get all that inspired about - snakes and lizards and turtles and bugs. Some special birds too. I was running to Wiki time and time again to see these creatures. One can't help but be drawn in because the stories about the strange bugs and beasts are so bizarre! F ...more
Magrat Ajostiernos
¡Me ha encantado! Es entrañable, evocador y MUY divertido, hacía tiempo que no me reía a carcajada limpia con un libro pero Durrell lo consigue con una facilidad envidiable.
Esta familia y su peculiar zoo ambulante se ha quedado conmigo, por supusto leeré las secuelas ♥
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
1/2010 Review:
I inhabit this book. I walk through the olive groves and swim in the crystal seas of pre-war Corfu. I think I can never go to Greece because of this book. I would want the taxis to be horse-drawn, and the small boys to be ranging freely about the island.

I love so much about this book it's hard to pick and choose. I love that Gerry was so devoted to animals from the very beginning. I love the self-centered, irascible Larry (who grew into the genius Lawrence Durrell). I love Mother,
Hayes
It gets better every time I read it. Thank Heavens Durrell didn't get much formal schooling, or they might have educated his writing ability right out of him. The chapter about the moonless midnight swim, with the fire flies flickering, and the porpoises making trails in the phosphorescence, and the millions of stars shining overhead was so incredibly beautiful that it brought real tears to my eyes.
  • It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
  • Gerald Durrell: The Authorized Biography
  • Merry Hall
  • The Moon's a Balloon
  • Two Under the Indian Sun
  • Forever Free: Elsa's Pride (Story of Elsa, #3)
  • Our Hearts Were Young and Gay: An Unforgettable Comic Chronicle of Innocents Abroad in the 1920s
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • One Pair of Hands
  • Life Among the Savages
  • Ring of Bright Water (Ring of Bright Water, #1)
Gerald "Gerry" Malcolm Durrell was born in India in 1925. His family settled on Corfu when Durrell was a boy and he spent his time studying its wildlife. He relates these experiences in the trilogy beginning with My Family and Other Animals, and continuing with Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. In his books he writes with wry humour and great perception about both the humans ...more
More about Gerald Durrell...

Corfu Trilogy (3 books)
  • Birds, Beasts and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy #2)
  • The Garden of the Gods (Corfu Trilogy #3)
“I do wish you wouldn't argue with me when I'm knitting.” 92 likes
“I said I *liked* being half-educated; you were so much more *surprised* at everything when you were ignorant.” 83 likes