Start by marking “Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type” as Want to Read:
Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type

(Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  80,094 ratings  ·  2,896 reviews
Farmer Brown has a problem.

His cows like to type.

All day long he hears

Click, clack, MOO.

Click, clack, MOO.

Clickety, clack, MOO.

But Farmer Brown's problems REALLY begin when his cows start leaving him notes....

Doreen Cronin's understated text and Betsy Lewin's expressive illustrations make the most of this hilarious situation. Come join the fun as a bunch of literate cows t
Published 2000 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1999)

·  80,094 ratings  ·  2,896 reviews

Start your review of Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
Philip
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perhaps the most comprehensive book ever written on understanding labor dispute.
Calista
This book cracked me up. I don’t think the artwork is worthy of a Caldecott, but the story is wonderful. Doreen has a wicked sense of humor.

A group of cows found a typewriter in the barn and they are typing up letters of demands to the farmer. When the farmer finds the notes, he gets angry and the cows go on strike and will not milk any longer. Then the hens go on strike as the cows are typing for them. The farmer is so angry at his animals. Anyway, all they want is electric blankets for the col
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Kat Stark

Hey! French fellows!

You don't understand this review? Check this. You're welcome.

All in all, an hilarious and original book. It gave bad ideas to my pupils though. Oh, well. Better now than never. We must preserve our reputation after all.

PS. I always knew ducks weren't worthy of trust. Just saying.
Karina
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a free library giveaway and we loved it! These smart cows that show the pen is mightier than the sword, in this case typewriter.

It was funny. The kids and I giggled a bit. I think it shows kids it is never too late to learn something new and that you can fight for justice (or electric blankets) no matter your size or circumstance. Enjoyable.

Click, clack, MOO!!!
Anne
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-children
All of my kids have loved this one! Especially the ending where Duck takes off with the typewriter!
Elizabeth
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
HA HA! Workers of the world unite! I'm not sure how I accidentally checked out this book on how to explain union movements to your toddler, but this was a h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s, bizarre, and unexpected read.
Archit Ojha
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Somebody make me stop laughing.
Cows that type were hard to find, actually impossible. Until this book came into existence. I thanked the writers that this time they made the ducks play a neutral role but did they really?

Ducks cannot be trusted, right?

Plunge straight into this hilarious one.

P.S. We're closed. No milk today.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cow lovers everywhere
You gotta watch out for those smart cows. Once they realize their power over farmers, there is no end to what they might ask for. Room service. Extra towels. Facials. And you know what THAT means - the price of ice cream will skyrocket!
Never let a cow near a typewriter, that's all I'm saying.
Paul E. Morph
This book is absolutely hilarious! I may have an infantile sense of humour but this book made me laugh like a deranged milkman. It reminded me of the sort of thing Spike Milligan used to write.

The illustrations are also rather wonderful, in a Quentin Blake-ish style. Fantastic book. Every child should have this on their bookshelf.
Kathryn
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Amusing though smacked a little too much of labor strikes and typical corporate bad guys vs. dissatisfied workers for my taste... I know, I know, it is a kids book, though, and it IS hilarious to think of those cows click-clack-mooing away in the barn! :-)
Marieke
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this book five stars. It's so fun to read and the artwork is wonderful. But the little 17-month old in whose library it now belongs, is a little slow to warm up to new books. So I'm withholding a star until he responds to it the way he does to Little Blue Truck and Go, Dogs, Go!
Richard
I wonder how cows managed to type with their reduced number of digits and no opposable thumbs. At least the hens or the messenger duck could have used the hunt and peck method, but apparently this did not occur until later in the book. This book was written in the year 2000. One wonders why the farm animals did not use computers; with a decent voice recognition software, they might have avoided the awkwardness and tedium of typing altogether.
Rossy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Smart cows! Really fun :)
Krystal
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Author: Doreen Cronin

Illustrator: Betsy Lewin

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Info: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing : 2000

Reading Level: Ages 4-8; Early Reader

Topic/Theme: Animal Rights/ Strike

Issues Addressed: Whether animals should be given rights on the farm. Does the farmer have the right to keep the animals produce? Social issues: stereotypical farmer and farm setting

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Summary: The animals on the farm find a typewri
midnightfaerie
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Not so much a preschool aged book as for older children. My 5 yr old got a kick out of it and paid attention throughout. The illustrations were adorable and I could see us getting a copy of this and reading it again in the future. Simple story line that had everyone laughing.
Jaime
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A book about the power of literacy and effective communication, told with great humor.
Lata
Silly and funny. Definitely a book that lends itself to audio very well.
Alice Rachel
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was funny. The cows looked so cute.
Tressa
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
We've all heard that the "pen is mightier than the sword" and "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," well in Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin, Farmer Brown learns firsthand just how true these adages are when his cows find a typewriter in the barn and demand better treatment.

When Farmer Brown first hears the click-clack sounds coming from the barn, he tries digging out the wax buildup in his ears because cows can't type!

But these cows can, and they nail their demands on the barn
Laima
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a funny little book! I read Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type yesterday with 5 year old Abby and 3 year old Emma, my neighbor’s granddaughters.

After the first few pages Abby started to giggle and said she knew what the cows were typing. “They want some electric blankets!”

She had read this book at school and remembered it almost word for word! Both girls laughed uproariously all the way to the end of the book. Then I kept hearing “Again! Again! Read it again!”

The drawings are funny and the st
April Thompson
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't like cows with "tudes"?!
Chelsea
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Cronin's books are fabulous - consistently funny, always imaginative, and extremely clever. Sure, they're aimed a kids, but adults will appreciate the stories as well. This is the first I read, and the characters reappear in Duck For President and Dooby Dooby Moo, both of which are great reads as well. ...more
Katie Scherrer
This is not a bilingual book, but it works very well for bilingual storytime, especially with a school-age group. This is a very popular title in English, so kids who do not speak Spanish have often read the story before and stay engaged hearing it in Spanish. The repeating "Clic, clac, muu" is the same in both languages and everyone can participate! I love using books that make parents and kids laugh together, and this is definitely one of those! Also great for print awareness.
Amy Holliday
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Comments on the Story:

Have you ever wondered what cows would ask for if they could some how manage to type a letter to the farmer? Well if you want to find out then you should read this book.

Recommend Uses for this Book:

This book would be a great book for a preschool storytime. I have thought of using this book for "working together" type themes, because the cows work together to get something they want. This might also be a great story to do a flannel board.
Hector Gutierrez
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is soo funny and cute!
I love the illustrations in the book and the Cows typing is hilarious. I wish this book was available in Spanish I would us it to teach my kids about movements, strikes and organizations in general.
Emawesomeo
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME
Jim
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Snow day today, and daddy duty includes letting the 7-year-old add a few of his favorites to the gr collection... One day I will let him write his own reviews.
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Why I Read It: This book was recommended in a farm themed Koala Crate I did with my niece.

Format & Source: Paperback. We had purchased the book from a garage sale, but not read it yet.

Synopsis: One day, Farmer Brown's cows find a typewriter. They start writing passive aggressive notes to farmer brown. Farmer Brown negotiates with the cows. Eventually they reach an agreement, and the cows give the typewriter to Farmer Brown's ducks...

What I Thought: This was a hilarious book. I had a hard time re
Katie
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cannonball-12
For International Children’s Book Day (April 2, 2020) I’m treating myself to a review of one of my favorite children's books. The cows have found a typewriter and use it all day. Farmer Brown is a tidbit annoyed at it but doesn’t mind too much. That is until the girls start to use their typewriter skills to make demands. When their demands aren’t met, they go on strike. Eventually their sister chickens join them. Farmer Brown has to figure out what to do about the strike, and sends his offer wit ...more
Cheryl
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trying to compare the original with the new ready-to-read edition... somehow they don't seem the same in my mind.... Can any of you see them side-by-side and tell me?
----------------
Finally did get a chance to compare them side-by-side and they are exactly the same. Whew.
Click Clack Moo 5 26 Feb 05, 2020 06:04PM
mini lesson 3 1 3 Oct 22, 2017 09:55PM

• Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • No, David!
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • The Kissing Hand
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Stellaluna
  • Goodnight Moon
  • Corduroy
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight. In fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who wante ...more

Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Duck for President
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Click, Clack, Surprise!