Start by marking “Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type” as Want to Read:
Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  69,688 Ratings  ·  2,312 Reviews
Farmer Brown has a problem.

His cows like to type.

All day long he hears

Click, clack, MOO.

Click, clack, MOO.

Clickety, clack, MOO.

But Farmer Brown's problems REALLY begin when his cows start leaving him notes....

Doreen Cronin's understated text and Betsy Lewin's expressive illustrations make the most of this hilarious situation. Come join the fun as a bunch of literate cows t
Published 2000 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1999)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) by: Kat Stark

Hey! French fellows!

You don't understand this review? Check this. You're welcome.

All in all, an hilarious and original book. It gave bad ideas to my pupils though. Oh, well. Better now than never. We must preserve our reputation after all.

PS. I always knew ducks weren't worthy of trust. Just saying.
Philip
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perhaps the most comprehensive book ever written on understanding labor dispute.
Elizabeth
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
HA HA! Workers of the world unite! I'm not sure how I accidentally checked out this book on how to explain union movements to your toddler, but this was a h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s, bizarre, and unexpected read.
Anne
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-children
All of my kids have loved this one! Especially the ending where Duck takes off with the typewriter!
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cow lovers everywhere
You gotta watch out for those smart cows. Once they realize their power over farmers, there is no end to what they might ask for. Room service. Extra towels. Facials. And you know what THAT means - the price of ice cream will skyrocket!
Never let a cow near a typewriter, that's all I'm saying.
Paul
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely hilarious! I may have an infantile sense of humour but this book made me laugh like a deranged milkman. It reminded me of the sort of thing Spike Milligan used to write.

The illustrations are also rather wonderful, in a Quentin Blake-ish style. Fantastic book. Every child should have this on their bookshelf.
Kathryn
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Amusing though smacked a little too much of labor strikes and typical corporate bad guys vs. dissatisfied workers for my taste... I know, I know, it is a kids book, though, and it IS hilarious to think of those cows click-clack-mooing away in the barn! :-)
Marieke
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this book five stars. It's so fun to read and the artwork is wonderful. But the little 17-month old in whose library it now belongs, is a little slow to warm up to new books. So I'm withholding a star until he responds to it the way he does to Little Blue Truck and Go, Dogs, Go!
Richard
I wonder how cows managed to type with their reduced number of digits and no opposable thumbs. At least the hens or the messenger duck could have used the hunt and peck method, but apparently this did not occur until later in the book. This book was written in the year 2000. One wonders why the farm animals did not use computers; with a decent voice recognition software, they might have avoided the awkwardness and tedium of typing altogether.
Chim Cụt
QUYỂN SÁCH CÁCH MẠNG

Bò đánh máy mở đường cho con gái đến với thế giới sách nói chung và sách ít chữ nhiều tranh đẹp mê ly nói riêng. Ờ thì dù chưa biết chữ nhưng con nghe mẹ đọc vậy chắc cũng không khác mấy với mẹ nghe sách nói.

Mẹ đã cố gắng nhập vai tốt nhất có thể, đầu tiên là bò, sau đó là vịt. Một lần, hai lần còn thú vị, chứ đến lần thứ n - khi mà trang sách đã khá nhàu rồi á - thì mẹ chả thích thú gì nữa, vì cứ phải b ò ò ò, b ò ò ò, b ò ò ò..., quạc, quạc, quạc... liên tục thôi. Con gái h
Krystal
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Author: Doreen Cronin

Illustrator: Betsy Lewin

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Info: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing : 2000

Reading Level: Ages 4-8; Early Reader

Topic/Theme: Animal Rights/ Strike

Issues Addressed: Whether animals should be given rights on the farm. Does the farmer have the right to keep the animals produce? Social issues: stereotypical farmer and farm setting

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Summary: The animals on the farm find a typ
midnightfaerie
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Not so much a preschool aged book as for older children. My 5 yr old got a kick out of it and paid attention throughout. The illustrations were adorable and I could see us getting a copy of this and reading it again in the future. Simple story line that had everyone laughing.
Rossy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Smart cows! Really fun :)
Lata
Silly and funny. Definitely a book that lends itself to audio very well.
Tressa
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, humor
We've all heard that the "pen is mightier than the sword" and "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," well in Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin, Farmer Brown learns firsthand just how true these adages are when his cows find a typewriter in the barn and demand better treatment.

When Farmer Brown first hears the click-clack sounds coming from the barn, he tries digging out the wax buildup in his ears because cows can't type!

But these cows can, and they nail their demands on the barn
Amy Holliday
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Comments on the Story:

Have you ever wondered what cows would ask for if they could some how manage to type a letter to the farmer? Well if you want to find out then you should read this book.

Recommend Uses for this Book:

This book would be a great book for a preschool storytime. I have thought of using this book for "working together" type themes, because the cows work together to get something they want. This might also be a great story to do a flannel board.
April Thompson
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't like cows with "tudes"?!
Jaime
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A book about the power of literacy and effective communication, told with great humor.
Cheryl
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trying to compare the original with the new ready-to-read edition... somehow they don't seem the same in my mind.... Can any of you see them side-by-side and tell me?
----------------
Finally did get a chance to compare them side-by-side and they are exactly the same. Whew.
Agnieszka Cłapka
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very humorous, even though a little bit absurd (cows that type?) story. The book works best when read aloud, as the refrain "click clack moo" is rhythmical and thus can be easily remembered. It does not only teach how to organize a strike (in a way), but also teaches one important lesson: do not give the cows a typewriter. More seriously, though, the book touches upon the topic of the life of farm animals, that on the one hand should be treated in a “humane” way, but on the other have certain du ...more
Laima
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a funny little book! I read Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type yesterday with 5 year old Abby and 3 year old Emma, my neighbor’s granddaughters.

After the first few pages Abby started to giggle and said she knew what the cows were typing. “They want some electric blankets!”

She had read this book at school and remembered it almost word for word! Both girls laughed uproariously all the way to the end of the book. Then I kept hearing “Again! Again! Read it again!”

The drawings are funny and the sto
Katie Scherrer
This is not a bilingual book, but it works very well for bilingual storytime, especially with a school-age group. This is a very popular title in English, so kids who do not speak Spanish have often read the story before and stay engaged hearing it in Spanish. The repeating "Clic, clac, muu" is the same in both languages and everyone can participate! I love using books that make parents and kids laugh together, and this is definitely one of those! Also great for print awareness.
Hector Gutierrez
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is soo funny and cute!
I love the illustrations in the book and the Cows typing is hilarious. I wish this book was available in Spanish I would us it to teach my kids about movements, strikes and organizations in general.
Emawesomeo
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME
Jim
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Snow day today, and daddy duty includes letting the 7-year-old add a few of his favorites to the gr collection... One day I will let him write his own reviews.
Kathryn Tanzberger
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of Farmer Brown and his cows, who like to type using a typewriter. The cows and hens write Farmer Brown a note, complaining that they are very cold at night, and would like some electric blankets to keep them warm. When Farmer Brown refuses, the cows and hens go on strike, saying that there will be no milk or eggs. After some negotiations, the cows, hens and Farmer Brown agree that in exchange for the typewriter, he will provide them with electric blankets. However, Far ...more
Melissa
This book is one that used to belong to my stepdaughter. She always loved this books and would beg us to read them over and over again. I'm so happy to introduce them to my son and see if he loves them as much as she did.

The cows on Farmer Brown's farm have gotten a hold of a typewriter. All day long he hears "Click, Clack, Moo". Soon the cows start leaving Farmer Brown notes demanding things like blankets. They threaten to go on strike.

This book is a classic for sure. Funny and cute! It is not
Wendy
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un lindo libro sobre las vacas que se pueden escribir. Ellos van a la huelga en la granja mientras trataba de negociar con el agricultor. Excelente para los niños que leen español o niños y adultos que están aprendiendo español.

It's a cute book about cows that type who go on strike on the farm while trying to negotiate with the farmer. It's great for children who can read Spanish or children and adults who want to learn Spanish.
Kaethe
I love this more every time I read it. And it still amuses both of them (the kids I mean).

***

And while I'm thinking about it, let me add that I wish every picture book included a note about how the art was done. Maybe kids don't care, I've never thought to ask them, but I love that.
Chelsea
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Cronin's books are fabulous - consistently funny, always imaginative, and extremely clever. Sure, they're aimed a kids, but adults will appreciate the stories as well. This is the first I read, and the characters reappear in Duck For President and Dooby Dooby Moo, both of which are great reads as well.
mini lesson 3 1 1 Oct 22, 2017 09:55PM
Design Elements Analysis-Book 2 1 3 Jan 27, 2017 05:27PM
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • The Stray Dog
  • A Sick Day for Amos McGee
  • King Bidgood's in the Bathtub
  • A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin...

Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Duck for President
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Click, Clack, Moo and More: A Barnyard Collection