Start by marking “Homer Price” as Want to Read:
Homer Price

Homer Price

(Homer Price #1)

Six episodes in the life of Homer Price including one in which he and his pet skunk capture four bandits and another about a donut machine on the rampage.
Paperback, A Puffin Book, 149 pages
Published October 28th 1976 by Puffin Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Homer Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homer Price

Start your review of Homer Price
Katharyn
Jul 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
The very first time I read this book, I was breaking the rules. It was naptime at daycare and like a good little tot, I was supposed to be getting some rest. But my cot was right next to a bookshelf and whenever the coast was clear and the others around me had fallen asleep, I would surreptitiously sneak books off the shelf to read. Homer caught my eye because of the doughnuts- and ever since then I can't eat a doughnut without thinking of him and my stolen book moments.
Calista
I read this in the car today on the way back from a family reunion and I didn't have to drive. This is about Centerburg and Homer Price who makes his residence there. The town is rather funny and Homer is dependable and a fix-it kind of guy.

He has a pet skunk he has tamed that became famous when it helped him catch some robbers. There is a fancy donut machine somewhat like Krispy Kreme donuts assembly line and it puts out too many donuts, but luckily, Homer has the idea to sell them all. There
Jim
These tales are a 4 star read in the illustrated book for 10 & younger. As an audiobook, it was well narrated & pretty good. The illustrations & a first solo book or reading with an adult really make it, though.

They're, short, fun, & I enjoyed them as a kid immensely. Not quite as good as The Mad Scientists' Club, but close. The lazy sheriff with his spoonerisms could get old quickly, but I didn't mind them in these stories. The crazy uncle with his penchant for gadgets was fun,
Ken
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to live in Centerburg when I read this book. I wanted a donut machine. I wanted the book to have more pages. I read it in in a quiet corner of the old Irvington Public Library, curled up in an old, fat leather chair that was hidden from everything else in the world by a wall of books.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The three stars is from the adult me. The child me read this book several times, chiefly for the donut-maker story. I found the silly sheriff with his constant spoonerisms annoying even at age 8, but I loved the illustrations.

Set in smalltown USA during the war years, one thing that struck me is how very much things have changed. In Homer's world, school doesn't start until well into autumn (after the harvest, duh), TV is still a dream for small town people, and Homer builds radio sets for fun.
Celia
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Homer Price is the title character of a pair of children's books written by Robert McCloskey. Homer Price was published in 1943, and Centerburg Tales in 1951.

And Homer Price and his ability to solve problems are both priceless.

There are six stories in this book.

1. "The Case of the Sensational Scent"
Homer's pet skunk helps solve a crime.

2. "The Case of the Cosmic Comic"
Homer and Freddy meet their comic book hero, the Super-Duper.

3. "The Doughnuts"
Uncle Ulysses installs a new doughnut maker at his
Luisa Knight
If you think of Opie and his life in Mayberry, you'll get a pretty good idea of what this book is like. A fun-loving, adventuresome boy in a small, down-home town going to school, working at the lunch room to make a dime or two, catching robbers with his pet skunk and discovering just how many doughnuts his Uncle Ulysses' new-fangled machine can make.

Each chapter is easily it's own "episode" so instead of turning on the television tonight, read a chapter of this with the family! Laughs included.
Jeremy
Jun 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Robert McCloskey made such great books for kids. They looked good, they read good. They even smelled good. The majority of McCloskey's books are written with very young children in mind, and they're all classics, deservedly so. "Homer Price" was one of the first books I read that was longer than 15-20 pages and didn't feature paintings of enormous caterpillars committing acts of meta vandalism throughout, and it's both an ideal stepping stone and a fun read no matter how long you've been reading ...more
Kellyn Roth
One of my favorite books as a children (well, I had a lot of favorite books ... so that isn't much of a claim ... but still!), Homer Price still holds a special place in my heart. It's just so hilarious! :D
Ebookwormy1
Stories extolling midwestern America are about as rare as songs for brown eyed girls, both of which are so ubiquitous we often fail to notice their charm. But just like Van Morrison's hit, "Brown-Eyed Girl," Robert McCloskey takes the common place and makes it interesting, prized, and beloved.

It's a tribute to his keen cultural eye that an author known for writing compellingly about Boston (Make way for Ducklings!) and Maine (One Morning in Maine), would also have the skill to draw the
Michele
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I saw a doughnut machine at The City Museum in Saint Louis this spring that instantly whisked me into warm memories of this book--memories that belong to childhood, crisp as the donuts bubbling and swirling in the small vat, sweet as the powdered sugar, creamy on my tongue. Who wouldn't want to bestow this memory on their child? Who wouldn't want to return to it in adulthood? That's the test of a good book.
John
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This charming book was one of my favorites as a young boy.
Katrina Burchett
The author of Homer Price, Robert McCloskey, has written six tales for readers to enjoy:

THE CASE OF THE SENSATIONAL SCENT: Homer catches a group of robbers with the help of his pet skunk, Aroma.
THE CASE OF THE COSMIC COMIC: Homer's friend, Freddy, learns what Homer already knows about comic book characters.
THE DOUGHNUTS: Homer can't stop his Uncle Ulysses doughnut machine! Now there are way too many doughnuts, and a lost bracelet cooked inside one of them. Let the eating begin!
MYSTERY YARN:
Abigail
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you havent met Homer Price, youre missing out on some quality, good-ole-days story telling. Homer is the optimistic young citizen of Centerburg, a quaint town bustling with entertaining adventures, all of which Homer seems to end up in the middle of. Whether its trying to get his uncles automatic donut machine to stop cranking out donuts, or tracking down the criminals who stole a suitcase full of aftershave lotion, Homer has plenty to keep him busy. Through Robert McCloskeys droll voice, you ...more
Whitney
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I re-read Homer Price quite a few times during my grade school years.

And now here I re-read it again, using my cynical grown-up eyes.

Homer is such a good boy! He thinks badly of no one, and he always knows how to avoid trouble. He is good friends with the town sheriff, and his hobby is building radios, when he is not in school or helping his family with their work.

He lives in a world that has crime and argument, but readers don't see injustice or violence in Homer's world.

Part of me would like
Suzanne
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about this book is the strangeness! On the surface, this appears to be tales of a boy growing up in a small town, but every chapter has something a little weird going on, in a wholesome, aboveboard, "what do you mean, something is strange?" kind of way. As a young reader, I loved catching onto ideas not explicitly stated.
Mary Lou
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a child, mY brother brought this home from the library and I could hardly wait to get my hands on it. It was every bit the adventure I had hoped it would be. I wanted to live in Henry's world. Great read for all ages!
Jessi
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet!
Scott
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this over and over when I was just a wee bairn. Now, about 40 years later, I picked it up again. The stories are still delightful and funny, told in an engaging, childlike manner. They are everything I remember.

But wait, there's more. Where did all that social satire come from? I don't remember that being there when I was nine. "The Case of the Cosmic Comic" is dark, showing the shattering of a young boy's dream of his hero. "Wheels of Progress" is still as pointed a commentary on the
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I only recently thought of this book (these stories) again. They were from the 1940s and I ran across the book in a school room when I was around 12. Homer runs afoul of snake oil salesmen, meet's "current" superheros, has trouble with a never ending doughnut machine and other unusual events. I remember I loved the stories though I haven't seen a book of them for many years. This was one that got me in trouble as the teacher caught me reading it when she was talking about something else and I ...more
Emily
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love books written in this era. The 1940s and 50s are so much fun in fiction! What a sweet book filled with larger-than-life characters and the sweet taste of times back when things weren't so rushed and full of too many commitments. As an adult, I enjoyed the wonderful nostalgic feel, while I can see many a kiddo laughing at the town's antics. I remember reading the Mousetrap story in a basal reading text as a student and really enjoying it.
Ingrid
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was written in 1943 and chronicles the adventures of Homer, a young boy living in a small town. In one chapter, Homer helps to arrest some thieves with the help of his pet skunk. My favorite chapter involves a doughnut machine that won't stop making doughnuts. This is a very sweet book that made me think of the Andy Griffith show. Life seemed to be so much simpler back in those days.
♠ TABI ♠
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laughed my way through all six stories. Got to love Robert McCloskey! His classic style of drawings were scattered throughout the book, adding to the stories and the humor.
And I wish there was a Ulysses Lunchroom near where I lived, because reading about all of those doughnuts gave me a craving for them!
Marilyn
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of an extreme challenge--read a book from your childhood. Homer played a front and center part in my childhood. How can you ever let a donut pass over your lips without thinking of him?
Shiloah
Totally fun read aloud. I love how the author mixed other stories into this book including the Greek saga the Odyssey and the Germany fairy tale The Pied Piper of Hamlin.
Wendy Darling
I keep this one around for the doughnut chapter alone.
Beth
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember finding this so much funnier a decade ago... It's always disappointing when that happens.

McCloskey can draw, though (obviously). The illustrations are fabulous.
Edel
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful story about Homer Price and his town of Centerburg . I had never heard about this book before over on my side of the pond, but a friend suggested this to me thinking it would be my type of book , and Lesley you were right!
Homer is a young boy who likes to make radios ,he is also very inquisitive ,and likes to know what is going on in his small town, and for a small town there is quite a bit of interesting things happening there. From bandits to pet skunks ,and a few too
Eyehavenofilter
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't know of many people who have actually had a pet skunk but my brother was one if them..Euphemism was her name....she was de-stunk.. If you will... So this story was especially personal to me. Homer and his little pal, his pet skunk solve crimes and run amok up in his small home town in six short stories... What a fun time... This book was for me to read!
Danette
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lunchtime-books
63017 Read with Lincoln, Naomi , Julia, JD, & Joseph at lunch while the big kids were at camp.

Picked up at a Little Free Library.

• Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Little Pear
  • Owls in the Family
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • Mountain Born (Mountain Born, #1)
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • The Family Under the Bridge
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • Detectives in Togas
  • The Cricket in Times Square
  • Catching Their Talk in a Box: The Life Story of Joy Ridderhof
  • Twenty and Ten
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • Understood Betsy
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...And Found (Step-Into-Reading, Step 4)
John Robert McCloskey (September 15, 1914 June 30, 2003) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books. He both wrote and illustrated eight picture books and won two Caldecott Medals from the American Library Association recognizing the year's best-illustrated picture book. Four of those eight books were set in Maine: Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Time of Wonder, and ...more

Homer Price (2 books)