Start by marking “Homer Price” as Want to Read:
Homer Price

Homer Price (Homer Price #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  18,454 Ratings  ·  493 Reviews
Six episodes in the life of Homer Price including one in which he and his pet skunk capture four bandits and another about a donut machine on the rampage.
Paperback, A Puffin Book, 149 pages
Published October 28th 1976 by Puffin Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Homer Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homer Price

Katharyn
Jul 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
The very first time I read this book, I was breaking the rules. It was naptime at daycare and like a good little tot, I was supposed to be getting some rest. But my cot was right next to a bookshelf and whenever the coast was clear and the others around me had fallen asleep, I would surreptitiously sneak books off the shelf to read. Homer caught my eye because of the doughnuts- and ever since then I can't eat a doughnut without thinking of him and my stolen book moments.
Jim
These tales are a 4 star read in the illustrated book for 10 & younger. As an audiobook, it was well narrated & pretty good. The illustrations & a first solo book or reading with an adult really make it, though.

They're, short, fun, & I enjoyed them as a kid immensely. Not quite as good as The Mad Scientists' Club, but close. The lazy sheriff with his spoonerisms could get old quickly, but I didn't mind them in these stories. The crazy uncle with his penchant for gadgets was fun,
Ken
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to live in Centerburg when I read this book. I wanted a donut machine. I wanted the book to have more pages. I read it in in a quiet corner of the old Irvington Public Library, curled up in an old, fat leather chair that was hidden from everything else in the world by a wall of books.
Celia
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Homer Price is the title character of a pair of children's books written by Robert McCloskey. Homer Price was published in 1943, and Centerburg Tales in 1951.

And Homer Price and his ability to solve problems are both priceless.

There are six stories in this book.

1. "The Case of the Sensational Scent"
Homer's pet skunk helps solve a crime.

2. "The Case of the Cosmic Comic"
Homer and Freddy meet their comic book hero, the Super-Duper.

3. "The Doughnuts"
Uncle Ulysses installs a new doughnut maker at his
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The three stars is from the adult me. The child me read this book several times, chiefly for the donut-maker story. I found the silly sheriff with his constant spoonerisms annoying even at age 8, but I loved the illustrations.

Set in smalltown USA during the war years, one thing that struck me is how very much things have changed. In Homer's world, school doesn't start until well into autumn (after the harvest, duh), TV is still a dream for small town people, and Homer builds radio sets for fun.
Kellyn Roth
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books as a children (well, I had a lot of favorite books ... so that isn't much of a claim ... but still!), Homer Price still holds a special place in my heart. It's just so hilarious! :D
Ebookwormy1
Stories extolling midwestern America are about as rare as songs for brown eyed girls, both of which are so ubiquitous we often fail to notice their charm. But just like Van Morrison's hit, "Brown-Eyed Girl," Robert McCloskey takes the common place and makes it interesting, prized, and beloved.

It's a tribute to his keen cultural eye that an author known for writing compellingly about Boston (Make way for Ducklings!) and Maine (One Morning in Maine), would also have the skill to draw the particula
Michele
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I saw a doughnut machine at The City Museum in Saint Louis this spring that instantly whisked me into warm memories of this book--memories that belong to childhood, crisp as the donuts bubbling and swirling in the small vat, sweet as the powdered sugar, creamy on my tongue. Who wouldn't want to bestow this memory on their child? Who wouldn't want to return to it in adulthood? That's the test of a good book.
Katrina Burchett
The author of Homer Price, Robert McCloskey, has written six tales for readers to enjoy:

THE CASE OF THE SENSATIONAL SCENT: Homer catches a group of robbers with the help of his pet skunk, Aroma.
THE CASE OF THE COSMIC COMIC: Homer's friend, Freddy, learns what Homer already knows about comic book characters.
THE DOUGHNUTS: Homer can't stop his Uncle Ulysses doughnut machine! Now there are way too many doughnuts, and a lost bracelet cooked inside one of them. Let the eating begin!
MYSTERY YARN:
Suzanne
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about this book is the strangeness! On the surface, this appears to be tales of a boy growing up in a small town, but every chapter has something a little weird going on, in a wholesome, aboveboard, "what do you mean, something is strange?" kind of way. As a young reader, I loved catching onto ideas not explicitly stated.
Beth
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember finding this so much funnier a decade ago... It's always disappointing when that happens.

McCloskey can draw, though (obviously). The illustrations are fabulous.
Abigail Larsen
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t met Homer Price, you’re missing out on some quality, good-ole-days story telling. Homer is the optimistic young citizen of Centerburg, a quaint town bustling with entertaining adventures, all of which Homer seems to end up in the middle of. Whether it’s trying to get his uncle’s automatic donut machine to stop cranking out donuts, or tracking down the criminals who stole a suitcase full of aftershave lotion, Homer has plenty to keep him busy. Through Robert McCloskey’s droll voice ...more
Scott
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this over and over when I was just a wee bairn. Now, about 40 years later, I picked it up again. The stories are still delightful and funny, told in an engaging, childlike manner. They are everything I remember.

But wait, there's more. Where did all that social satire come from? I don't remember that being there when I was nine. "The Case of the Cosmic Comic" is dark, showing the shattering of a young boy's dream of his hero. "Wheels of Progress" is still as pointed a commentary on the dem
Jeremy
Jun 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Robert McCloskey made such great books for kids. They looked good, they read good. They even smelled good. The majority of McCloskey's books are written with very young children in mind, and they're all classics, deservedly so. "Homer Price" was one of the first books I read that was longer than 15-20 pages and didn't feature paintings of enormous caterpillars committing acts of meta vandalism throughout, and it's both an ideal stepping stone and a fun read no matter how long you've been reading ...more
Ingrid
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was written in 1943 and chronicles the adventures of Homer, a young boy living in a small town. In one chapter, Homer helps to arrest some thieves with the help of his pet skunk. My favorite chapter involves a doughnut machine that won't stop making doughnuts. This is a very sweet book that made me think of the Andy Griffith show. Life seemed to be so much simpler back in those days.
Eyehavenofilter
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't know of many people who have actually had a pet skunk but my brother was one if them..Euphemism was her name....she was de-stunk.. If you will... So this story was especially personal to me. Homer and his little pal, his pet skunk solve crimes and run amok up in his small home town in six short stories... What a fun time... This book was for me to read!
Mary Lou
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a child, mY brother brought this home from the library and I could hardly wait to get my hands on it. It was every bit the adventure I had hoped it would be. I wanted to live in Henry's world. Great read for all ages!
John
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This charming book was one of my favorites as a young boy.
Danette
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lunchtime-books
6\30\17 Read with Lincoln, Naomi , Julia, JD, & Joseph at lunch while the big kids were at camp.

Picked up at a Little Free Library.
Michael Fitzgerald
An enjoyable audiobook. Nice to hear the songs sung.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an episodic children's book, typical of the time period in which it was written. There is no plot running through the story but instead each chapter (there are 6) describes an adventure of Homer's. Homer's life in the 1940s is one of freedom and childhood naivete. His escapades border on the outlandish and that makes them all that much more fun, but a little less believable. I've read this book three times now and I never get tired of it. I love the episode where the suburb is built with ...more
Edel
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful story about Homer Price and his town of Centerburg . I had never heard about this book before over on my side of the pond, but a friend suggested this to me thinking it would be my type of book , and Lesley you were right!
Homer is a young boy who likes to make radios ,he is also very inquisitive ,and likes to know what is going on in his small town, and for a small town there is quite a bit of interesting things happening there. From bandits to pet skunks ,and a few too man
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I only recently thought of this book (these stories) again. They were from the 1940s and I ran across the book in a school room when I was around 12. Homer runs afoul of snake oil salesmen, meet's "current" superheros, has trouble with a never ending doughnut machine and other unusual events. I remember I loved the stories though I haven't seen a book of them for many years. This was one that got me in trouble as the teacher caught me reading it when she was talking about something else and I wa ...more
Emily
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love books written in this era. The 1940s and 50s are so much fun in fiction! What a sweet book filled with larger-than-life characters and the sweet taste of times back when things weren't so rushed and full of too many commitments. As an adult, I enjoyed the wonderful nostalgic feel, while I can see many a kiddo laughing at the town's antics. I remember reading the Mousetrap story in a basal reading text as a student and really enjoying it.
♠️ Tabi ♠️
Laughed my way through all six stories. Got to love Robert McCloskey! His classic style of drawings were scattered throughout the book, adding to the stories and the humor.
And I wish there was a Ulysses Lunchroom near where I lived, because reading about all of those doughnuts gave me a craving for them!
Anjanette Barr
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Just finished reading this aloud to my 4 year old. He loved it even though much of the nuances were over his head. He asked tons of questions and definitely got the gist and silliness of each story. We read it in 4 days!! I think I'll read it again in 2 or 3 years when it's more developmentally appropriate.
Marilyn
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of an extreme challenge--read a book from your childhood. Homer played a front and center part in my childhood. How can you ever let a donut pass over your lips without thinking of him?
Teri-K
An old favorite from my childhood. The writing is a bit old-fashioned but the stories are still lots of fun. Once you've read about the doughnut machine you'll never look at a doughnut the same way again. Funny, creative, and full of nice people. :)
Alison
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-book-club
My dad used to read this book growing up as a boy in the 1950's. He read a chapter one day to my son, and we were instantly hooked. Good old-fashioned boy fun and adventures. They don't make books like this any more. Each chapter was so much fun to read with my boys!
Shiloah
Totally fun read aloud. I love how the author mixed other stories into this book including the Greek sage the Odyssey and the Germany fairy tale The Pied Piper of Hamlin.
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • A Grain of Rice
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Little Riders
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • The Greek News
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Greek Myths For Young Children
John Robert McCloskey (September 15, 1914 – June 30, 2003) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books. He both wrote and illustrated eight picture books and won two Caldecott Medals from the American Library Association recognizing the year's best-illustrated picture book. Four of those eight books were set in Maine: Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Time of Wonder, and Bu ...more
More about Robert McCloskey

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This