Start by marking “Tangled Webs” as Want to Read:
Tangled Webs

Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels #6)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  10,395 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
"Fern and Colin Radcliffe were to have a conventional marriage. But after a shocking wedding night, Fern strikes out at her new husband in a fit of passionate independence-and awakens a craving in both husband and wife to cast off society's rules and mores. They spend their honeymoon alone at Colin's isolated estate- exploring a world of pain, pleasure, and power. But thei ...more
Published March 4th 2008 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Tangled Webs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tangled Webs

Ashley
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Black Jewels Trilogy
Shelves: fantasy, not-my-copy
This book is a kind-of-but-not-really sequel to the trilogy in that it takes place after it, and I don't recommend reading it unless you've read the Black Jewels Trilogy. Obviously, it's not set on such an epic scale. The "plot" itself sounds rather silly: Surreal and her escort get trapped in a deadly(!) "spooky house" that was set up by a pompous writer who wants to get revenge on the SaDiablo family, and so, of course, Daemon and Lucivar have to do their "Evil Twin* Powers! Activate!" routine ...more
Dangermousie
This book will likely make little sense to anyone who hasn't read and loved the Black Jewels Trilogy but to someone, like me, who was obsessed with those books, this is a delicious treat.

Tbh, I view all the books Bishop wrote in the Jewels world after the Trilogy ended as the best kind of fanfiction - glimpses into the life of characters I feel too attached to part with even if I pick and choose what to insert into 'my' canon.

The plot is kinda slim - Surreal gets menaced by a creepy homicidal h
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
This book was sweet, but less engaging than a book about a haunted house made real should be. I love Anne Bishop and I loved the bits that were an insight into Jeweled family life, but the haunted house itself fell flat. Watch my video review
Yui
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the previous books this one doesn't have a complicated plot. It was actually quite silly and very used. Some crazy man thinks too much of himself and his arrogance and sense of self superiority lead him to take unreasonable revenge to the most powerful family in all realm. If you've read the first trilogy (not necessary to enjoy this particular book) you'll actually sympathize with the villain since it's painfully obvious what would happen to him once his own game caught up with him. I ne ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Another Black Jewel novel is always exciting for me. In this one, all I could think of was, "uh oh, someone is going to get a spanking when they get out of this haunted house". Surreal, I wish there was a little side story of what Lucivar did as a punishment after she was healed. While the plot of this story is pretty hokey. Still, it was fun for me because I loved seeing my favourite characters all back together again. This was a happier sweet story. Light read and nice insight into the seconda ...more
Debrac2014
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story! I almost lost interest because of the slow moving beginning but the story line picked up around the time Luciver's invitation arrived! Poor Tersa, I'm glad she got her revenge!
CupcakeBlonde
Karina
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Anne Bishop's skill with words rivals her characters' skill with magic: she weaves beautifully compelling characters and stories that enchant the mind and leave you wanting more.

And as those of you who have read my other reviews know, I rarely rave this much about an author, but Anne Bishop is my favorite by far.

When I happened upon book one of the Black Jewels trilogy, which Tangled Webs is sort of a sequel to, I could not put it down, ran out to buy the next two the very next day, and read eve
valee
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I actually read this book thinking it was the 5th book in the series. I guess the fact that I never realized I had skipped a book without noticing, even after I was done, says a lot...THIS BOOK WAS REALLY BAD. While I adored the original trilogy, I felt like I wanted to tear every single page off. The plot was terrible, exactly like a Jigsaw movie but for all audiences, really depressing. No content at all, everything was terribly shallow and superficial. I just didn't care for anything that was ...more
Jessica
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anything after The Black Jewels trilogy will seem completely inconsequential in comparison. After all, what's left to do after you've already killed all the bad guys and saved the world? This book serves as a sharp reminder that even though all the bad guys are gone, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't still problems in society, ie. neglected orphans, subpar schools, random psycho weirdos.

The plot here was subpar, I felt. There's a line from Surreal in the beginning of the book:

She clappe
Michelle
Bishop tells us right up front in this book that "the big battle has been won, the big tale has been told," and that this is just a day-in-the-life-of sort of story. which is to say 2 very obvious things: 1)don't start here, 2)it's nowhere near as good as the books that *did* tell the big story.

but you knew that, thanks to the handy disclaimer up front. you don't particularly mind though (those of us who loved those previous entries, anyway), since Bishop is absolutely *killer* at characterizat
Miss Ginny Tea
Blah. Surreal as a damsel in distress struggling to survive until The Men can come rescue her. Blah. Sure, she's stronger than the man with her, but he's gay, so it doesn't count. I'm all for exploring the awesome relationship between Saetan, Daemon, and Lucivar, but to kill 20 women and children to set up the premise and then recast Surreal as a (damaged) damsel in distress just sucks.

Gee, I wonder if Bishop's working on a book in which Surreal meets a strong warlord who thinks her past is awes
Tom
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it wasn't the most intense book of the series I still really liked it! I started this in September and got side tracked. I wish I would have finished it then because this is a great Halloween read and would be a great time to pimp this book to lovers of the series. Janelle and Marian want to start a haunted house and things start going reallly wrong. It was more like a social visit to the world for most of the book until Lucivar stepped up to show who was boss and then the intensity ...more
Kaci
Aug 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-bishop
What a spectacular visit back to the world of the black jewels! Ms. Bishop's best work is without a doubt her Black Jewels series and this long await return does not disappoint.

Trapped in a web of danger created by Jarvis Jenkell, Surreal and Rainier try to escape, while guarding the children, they unknowingly brought into the web with them.

Forced to work from outside the web to rescue Surreal and Rainier, Lucifier, Daemon, and Janelle race against a mad man to save them.
Kara-karina
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was different! Surreal and Rainier were the main characters of the book but Daemon, Lucivar and Jaenelle weren't left far behind. This book is a perfect Halloween read, peeps! It involves an evil house designed to trap and kill SaDiablo family and their very gory struggle to stay alive and destroy this house. Chilly, scary and very intense, this was a fantastic read!
Christina
Took me nearly 4 weeks to read this. It was interesting, but I couldn't help thinking the characters were a little OOC and that put me off. But I did enjoy it, at times it even sort of creeped me out :) Definitely not in league with the Black Jewels trilogy though.
Ubiquitousbastard

Okay, maybe it's nostalgia, but I found this book highly readable despite its obvious faults. It was an easy read, comfortable in a way, and just...I don't know...it jives with the younger, more innocent me.
Evanne Lorraine
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
This one was plenty dark for me, but as always a delight to spend time with these characters in this world.
Magda Pais
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own, 2017
Falar de Anne Bishop e dos seus livros é sempre um problema para mim porque tenho sempre a impressão que transmito muito pouco do quanto gosto de a ler, da qualidade da sua escrita, da mestria com que cria os mundos onde as suas histórias são passadas, da forma como constrói as suas personagens - fortes ou fracas, mais ou menos importantes. Anne Bishop é, sem qualquer margem para dúvida, A Escritora por excelência, a bitola que pode servir para se comparar outros autores de fantasia (e a compara ...more
Ben
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not terribly pleased with this book. It was well written, however it was horribly slow. The last book was also slow, however I could forgive a slow story, given the state of the characters. This book feels very much like a dead end novel. Do I get to see all/most of the characters I have emotionally invested in? Yes. Is that enough to have me read it? Yes. Is it good for the series? I would say no. This book did provide a lot of insight into the world state and the popular opinions of the masses ...more
Kim
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of the book slightly.... uh, stupid. I mean a writer that sets up a haunted house to get payback on the SaDiablo family. I mean come on... And while I still love the characters and their interactions, the shitty communication between Janealle and Daemon continued to be a thorn in the readers side. They aren't idiots, communication between two married people should never be that silly, or lack of communication I should say.

There was also problems with SL's that felt partially complete
Delvina Greig
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The first bit was really filler. It got better once the action started in the second half of the book.
Y
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was getting a bit freaked out in the spooky house! it didn't help that I was reading in the middle of the night.
Donna Seberry
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box7
Set is in the world of the Black Jewels Trilogy this sixth instalment tells the adventure Surreal and Rainier have inside a haunted house no person would ever wish to visit.
Takiyah Dudley
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love this series. I'm sad I'm almost done. this series is definitely worth the read. i could read 20 of these easily.
Kate
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Bishop never fails to write a story that grabs me right way and does not let me go until the very last page. The Black Jewels series is definitely my favorite of all her books. All of the books set in this world have intriguing story lines and characters who fascinate me. Even the characters I loathe are still well written. Any book by Anne Bishop is a must read and this series is no exception.
Nádia Batista
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
É sempre difícil falar sobre um livro de Anne Bishop e manter-me afastada dos lugares-comuns: como a autora é, simplesmente, uma das melhores, como os seus mundos são originais, negros e terrivelmente sensuais, como as suas personagens são inesquecíveis... mas a verdade é que é tudo isto e muito mais.

Apesar da sua grandiosidade, Jóia Perdida é, até agora, o livro mais fraco das Jóias Negras. Isto não faz de si um mau livro, nem por sombras; os outros é que são anormalmente melhores. Este volume
Cornelia
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hobbes
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After hearing how the non-blood of the races think the Blood live Jaenelle decides to make a spooky house for some fun and scares. Her family is horrified that Jaenelle could make light of their lives and display a grotesque parody of what the landens think, and fear, the Blood are like. But she wears them down, after all, it is all in good fun. Except some one is playing for real. Landry Langston was a landen writer who is liked in both landen and Blood communities. As his popularity amongst th ...more
Helen Corcoran
Anne's Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy remains one of my fondest teen discoveries, despite the inherent flaws in the books. The spines are cracked, the covers worn--I often open one of the book at a random spot and start reading from there to the end. They're three of my comfort reads. I enjoyed The Invisible Ring a lot, and eagerly awaited the news books set in the same 'verse.

It went downhill from there, sadly. Bishop's new works set in the BJ universe clearly show how quickly she's had to write
Anne Bishop: Help! 4 19 Mar 14, 2012 07:07AM
  • Kushiel's Mercy (Imriel's Trilogy, #3)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Cast In Courtlight (Chronicles of Elantra #2)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel, Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestseller list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...

The Black Jewels (9 books)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3)
  • The Invisible Ring (The Black Jewels, #4)
  • Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)
  • The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)
  • Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)
“I walked down to the village with five Sceltie puppies. I came back to the Hall with four.”
“And the fifth ?”
“By now, I’m sure Sylvia has convinced the little bitch to let go of Mikal’s trousers. And Mrs Beale promised to send her recipe for puppy biscuits to Sylvia’s cook.”
“Mrs Beale agreed to share a recipe,” Saetan said slowly.
“Mrs Beale agreed that I could pay for... I’m not sure what it is except that it’s something she wanted for the kitchen but couldn’t justify as a normal household expense.”
“And you agreed to fund this in exchange for a recipe ?”
Daemon stared at his father for a long moment before he muttered, “She sharpened the meat cleaver before coming to talk to me.”
One beat of silence. Two. Then Saetan burst out laughing.”
4 likes
“[...]
“What were you going to do if he’d refused ?”
Jaenelle looked at him and smiled.
Butterflies filled his stomach and tickled unmercifully before turning into heavy, sinking stones.
“Well,” his darling said, “you have a wonderful deep voice too. So if Papa refused, I was going to ask you.”

Saetan walked into the sitting room where he’d asked Geoffrey and Draca, the Keep’s Seneschal, to meet him.
“My friends, this bottle of wine arrived this evening, compliments of Prince Sadi. Since it came from the wine cellar at the Hall, I can assure you it is a very fine vintage, one best enjoyed when shared.”
He called in three glasses and opened the wine.
Draca said nothing until he handed her a glass. “What iss the occassion ?”
Saetan grinned. “My son has just realized how much his father loves him.”
4 likes