Start by marking “Bedlam (The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bedlam (The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë, #2)

Bedlam (The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë #2)

On her last escapade, Charlotte unintentionally witnessed a murder and found herself embroiled in a dangerous chain of events. Now, Charlotte returns in a stunning sequel that takes the reader into the most sinister institution in London: Bedlam.

With the death of her siblings and far from home, Charlotte has few people to trust. Struggling with romantic entanglements and h
Published May 13th 2010 by The Overlook Press (first published 2010)

Lisa Campbell
Jul 31, 2010 Lisa Campbell rated it did not like it
Regardless of the fact that there were two other books (different titles/authors and subjects) with the same EXACT portrait as the front cover, I thought..well, why not? Historical suspense story using Charlotte Bronte as the heroine it couldn't be that bad. Authors have done the same with Jane Austin, Eleanor Roosevelt and various other well-known women...

I was wrong.
The plot itself wasn't bad but I found the writing choppy and a bit "too modern" for my taste.

The characters were difficult to fi
Siegrist
Aug 04, 2013 Siegrist rated it really liked it
A romp. For those who wish Charlotte Bronte the love life she deserved.
Geri
Aug 27, 2014 Geri rated it really liked it
Charlotte was quite a charactor.
I don't even think Slade can keep
up with her.
You go girl.
Rebecca Burke
Jun 20, 2017 Rebecca Burke rated it liked it
Shelves: new-year-2017
The Second volume of The Secret adventures of Charlotte Bronte are not quite as exciting as vol. 1. But still well written.
Coralie
Sep 25, 2013 Coralie rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-this-book
I am a great fan of Historical Romance Novels, especially when they contain real historical characters and real events written into the story.
Laura Joh Rowland does this beautifully.
The story is a mystery set in Victorian times and the main character is Charlotte Bronte, Author of Jane Eyre, just one of the 'real' characters in the book. There are also places of historical significance Newgate Prison, The Bethlem Royal Hospital (known as Bedlam) Butyrka Prison in Russia to name a few.
Unfortuna
Tina
Jul 27, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bedlam: The Further Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë by Laura Joh Rowland
A book that can also stand on its own, this is the sequel to The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë. It takes place three years after the last adventure, which is described in enough detail that one doesn't need to read the first book to enjoy the second. The characters seem to be the same and allusions to the first book when needed help the reader to understand the background of this story.

I had a difficult time at
Carmel
Sep 14, 2010 Carmel rated it it was ok
Spoilerish
Well I have to say I was a tad disppointed with this novel following what I thought was a reasonable first book The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë. I found this instalment of Charlotte's adventures to be so far fetched and unbelievable that at times I was thinking that it was set in a more modern era and not in the Victorian England era. At one stage Rowland has the current monarch chasing after a criminal, it was a little ridiculous. I did enjoy parts of this book but I can usu
Jeanne
The author of Jane Eyre is back for another adventure, and this entry in the series is even more exciting and spine-tingling than the last.

While in London, Brontë is presented with the opportunity to visit Bedlam, London’s frightening insane asylum. Much to her surprise, Charlotte spots a familiar face: John Slade. As readers may remember, Slade is Charlotte’s mysterious and long-missing ex-lover. Why is he in Bedlam? Why is he ignoring her? And most importantly, why do people keep telling Charl
Valerie
I read this as soon as I finished the first book in this series, and have to say that I really enjoyed it! The story line was quite a different scene compared to the first one, but it still had those twists & turns to the story that just pulled you in and made you wonder "what's next?". I loved the "love-hate" relationship between Charlotte & John Slade, and also Charlotte's determination to find him even after she was told that he was a dead traitor! The writer made her quite the feisty ...more
Aug 30, 2016 Jennifer rated it did not like it
I really can't explain why I read this one, after really disliking the first one. This one just continues to prove why the author shouldn't have used Charlotte Bronte. The first book had some loose details from Bronte's life. This one literally just has her name. I took to pretending it was an odd coincidence that a famous author had once been named such. But at least Rowland has painted herself into a corner from which no more thriller novels can emerge: history proves that Bronte will be dying ...more
Crystal
Nov 15, 2010 Crystal rated it did not like it
If you like your books predictable and poorly written, this is one for you. Characters were inconsistent and unsympathetic. Plot was not terribly interesting and, as I said, predictable enough that I skimmed lightly through the entire book and didn't feel like I missed anything. I'm no historical scholar, but much of the language seemed out of place and too modern. There was also a lot of "Then I did this. Then I explained this." I haven't read the first book of this (let us hope brief) series, ...more
Lindsey
To fully enjoy this book, you just need to forget that the main character is Charlotte Bronte and in her place is a plucky girl ready to run off with a man at the drop of the hat and somehow gets entangled in international espionage and biochemical warfare in Victorian England. The story was entertaining but rather implausible (like the Queen would really rely solely on an author to solve a potentially deadly mystery-but, hey, like Barron's Jane Austen mysteries, it was fun!). And you have to fe ...more
Connie D
Entertaining read, but I definitely needed to suspend disbelief...It was usually easier if I just ignored/forgot that the main character was Charlotte Bronte. (On the other hand, I enjoyed experiencing interactions between her and Wm Thackeray and George Smith, and also imagining how her character--and/or that of Jane Eyre--would react in various situations.) Interesting to get a glimpse of the international relations/espionage of the mid-1850s and the potential of biological warfare.
Libtechgurugoddess
Feb 05, 2011 Libtechgurugoddess rated it really liked it
Great sequel! Charlotte Brontë is made of much sterner stuff than anyone credited. I loved all the historical details about Bedlam and the Great Crystal Palace. Even the plot didn't seem too far-fetched, revolving around biological warfare and "animacules". Fun to read, fast-paced, and more satisfying than the first installment in the series.
Suburbangardener
Jun 01, 2010 Suburbangardener rated it liked it
The author gets the tone right for a first-person account by Charlotte Bronte, but I had a hard time believing that she would write about her first sexual experience. In addition, she would never refer to the Virgin Queen as "Elizabeth I." She had no way of knowing there would be an "Elizabeth II."
Other than these flaws, the book is an enjoyable read.
Elizabeth Hajek
Oct 01, 2010 Elizabeth Hajek rated it liked it
I enjoyed the premise, and for the most part it was decently well written. A bit of the structure was a bit clunky and there was one overly descriptive sex scene to make an otherwise fairly appropriate book sour (although it was between a married couple). It is an interesting premise, however, and good enough that I think I might track down the first book in the series.
Jodi
May 16, 2013 Jodi rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read ... suspense, murder, mayhem, espionage, romance - it had everything and was well-written. I wouldn't be surprised if they make this (& the previous Charlotte Bronte adventure, part 1 to this one) a movie ... Was home sick & nice diversion from how miserable I was - first book I've finished for ages :-)
Jenna
i really enjoyed the first one and have been a fan of the Ichiro series, but I was less enthused with this one. Wasn't as captivated. That said, I would still read a third book, just to see what happens...
Tracy Cufone
Dec 19, 2013 Tracy Cufone rated it liked it
Some elements of the novel became a bit monotonous; especially the spy scenes. The ending was also a little far fetched and ridiculous; really the queen??? Clearly a far reach or do they call that imagination lol
Peastatgeria
Jul 16, 2015 Peastatgeria rated it it was amazing
This book was just wonderful. It was full of action and all kinds of twists and turns.I could not put this book down. I hope that Mr Rowland writes another one with this character that is as good as this one!
Katri
Mar 13, 2011 Katri rated it it was ok
This book bordered on the ridiculous. The only reason I was able to give it even two stars was because it kept me entertained enough to finish it. But it had a ridiculous plot, ridiculous characters, and was completely unbelievable.
Marik Berghs
Jan 03, 2011 Marik Berghs rated it it was ok
I have to say that the premis was interesting but I didn't fall in love with the protagonist (charlotte bronte) she seemed unlikely. I confess I got about 2/3 through and quit.
Karen
Dec 25, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This was just as enjoyable and entertaining as the first "Secret Adventures of Charlotte Bronte". Hopefully Laura Rowland will continue with this series.
Meredith
Jun 09, 2010 Meredith rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first Secret Adventures of Charlotte Bronte, but this sequel took too much liberalities with my beloved Charlotte!
Susan
Sep 21, 2010 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-books
Badly written book. Not what I expected. I think she is attempting to write in the style of Charlotte Bronte, but is not succeeding. Readi the real Charlotte Bronte and skip this one.
Kristie
Sep 06, 2014 Kristie rated it really liked it
I liked this book.It ended differently than I expected.
Barbara Keune
Apr 06, 2013 Barbara Keune rated it really liked it
Intriguing , at times overwritten. Ok rating for me I don't think I will run for another book by this author quickly
Dianne
Poor Charlotte: every time I turned the page on this most horrid book, she turned over in her grave. So sad.
Susan
Oct 18, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Another preposterous story but certainly containing a lot of excitement. Most of it is a real page-turner. The climax got rather silly though, as it was too unbelievable.
Judy
Sep 19, 2014 Judy rated it did not like it
Prepostorus.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Don't Die Under the Apple Tree
  • Murder on the Cliffs: A Daphne du Maurier Mystery (Daphne du Maurier Mysteries, #1)
  • The Serpent's Daughter (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #3)
  • The Case of the Hook-Billed Kites (Sarah Deane Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • Hooked on Ewe (Scottish Highlands, #2)
  • Game, Set and Murder
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #1)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • The Rhetoric of Death
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • A Bespoke Murder
Granddaughter of Chinese and Korean immigrants, Laura Joh Rowland grew up in Michigan and where she graduated with a B.S. in microbiology and a Master of Public Health at the University of Michigan. She currently lives in New Orleans with her husband. She has worked as a chemist, microbiologist, sanitary inspector and quality engineer.
More about Laura Joh Rowland...

The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë (2 books)
  • The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë (The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë #1)