Start by marking “A Body To Die For” as Want to Read:
A Body To Die For

A Body To Die For (A Savannah Reid Mystery #14)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  809 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Voluptuous P.I. Savannah Reid isn't a huge fan of diets and she'd rather walk through fire than go to the gym. But when the nation's hottest weight loss guru becomes a suspect in a big, fat murder case, even Savannah can't resist the chance to find out once and for all if the beloved queen of fitness took the "die" in diet a little too far. . .

Weight loss diva Clarissa Jar
Published January 1st 2010 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Body To Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Body To Die For

Mich
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
savannah is just funnier than hell.. i mean seriously,many people compare charaters to steph plum and then fall short... savannah doesnt... she and bubbles strohmeyer(an entirely different character/book) are the closest to LOL comparison. only thing, i would def say read these books in order b'c the relationship between dirk and savannah does grow.. yeah it works as a stand alone but why miss 13 other great books?
Emilia
oh what fun!!!!
Fast paced, brilliantly written! Will have to rush to find the beginning of the series! :D
I was laughing so often, that even the fact I predicted "whodunit" ahead of time, did not make the reading less enjoyable!
really good one! :D
 Alysha Mae : )
so far so good....and savanah's(the main gal) sister is absolutely dreadful it's like you want to pull her out of the book scream GET OVER YOURSELF and calmly put her back......
Dharia Scarab
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Annie
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really do enjoy this series, but I wish Savannah wasn't such a pushover in regards to her siblings.
Amelia-Irene
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of a series, but fortunately it's not dependent upon your reading the previous book in order to understand all of what's going on. Savannah Reid has left the police dept to work as a P.I. but still seems to be working with her old partner,who still is working for the police dept., on the same cases. She seems to manage on finding someone to pay her fees on whatever her partner is working on so they can still work together. Dirk and Savannah are both on the other side of 40+++ years ...more
Cari
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be completely honest, this book was pretty boring and I had a hard time finishing it.

I like the concept. I like the characters, but I feel it was poorly written and had a lot of unnecessary descriptions of scenes that the book could have done without.
I do have to say though, that this is just a personal preference as I never think a lot of description is needed. I would rather get down to the plot just adding in where they are located and simple scenery descriptions.

I gave three stars beca
Chelsea
Once again, closer to 3.5, but I decided to round down this time overall. I had never read a Savannah Reid mystery, but I was browsing the new mystery section and choosing quickly as Isabel was getting very impatient. Anyway, it was another fun, quick, lighthearted murder mystery. I was also very impressed that NO bad language and NO sex. I'm really quite pleased that these random books turned out that well! It's a fun book about a Georgian girl in So. CA who is a former cop turned private inves ...more
Stacy
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book! I love that you can feel the connection between Dirk & Savannah, I was hoping through the whole book, that they will get together at the end! SPOILER! (which they did!)
I also love all the twist & turns in this mystery between Clarissa & everyone involved! I give this book a 5 stars, definitely worth the read! The only part I found completely annoying, and not worth mentioning in the book, was when the sister came to Van's house! She was annoying as fuck! (
Vicki
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. The character of Savannah is wonderful for those of us who are tired of all the strong women in books being portrayed as slim and trim. Give us larger women a heroine! I had read the first book in the series and liked it, so when library lending became available for Kindle I looked for more of them. Unfortunately I had to jump to #14 (I think that's what this one is) and was afraid there would be times I would feel left behind. Did NOT happen!

I would feel perfectl
ktouton
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The protagonist in this book is Savannah Reid. Actually, she is the protagonist in all G. A. McKevett's books. Savannah is a sassy, plus size former police officer turned private investigator. This book is a murder-mystery type book.

This book series is not great literature. The series will never win a writing award. These books are fun to read and don't require you to back up 15 chapters to figure out who is telling the story. Think of this series as a vacation read and you won't go wrong.
Pamsholley
Savannah Reid helps out Detective Dirk Coulter on many of his crimes in this continuing series [first I've read:]. Weight loss diva Clarissa Jardin's husband is found shot to death and Jardin's world begins crumbling as tales of his misdeeds surface, including a fat twin sister she used in before and after shots. Pretty good, though I'm not actively searching for more in the series. Coulter and Reid have a relationship, but it seems to be one based more on friendship.
Susan
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
San Carmelito, CA, private eye Savannah Reid is helping her pal, policeman Dirk, as he investigates the missing husband of diet and fitness guru, Clarissa Jardin. Savannah, pleasantly rounded, dislikes Clarissa and her message that fat people are contemptible, but she quickly becomes involved, especially after Bill Jardin is found dead and his mother hires Savannah to prove that Clarissa did it. But maybe Clarissa didn't do it--Bill was a womanizing gambler with a lot of enemies.
Nese
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is another suspenseful to the last page with amazing twists and turns Savannah Reid mystery, and what is there not to like? My favorite part of the book, other than the beautifully written murder mystery, is the quirky and entertaining characters. I plan on reading the rest of the books in this series that leave one wanting more of the same.
Amber
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
this is the first that I have read in this series, (it's apparently number 14) and I could tell that it had predecessors but was still pretty able to get the gist so that's good. Story of a private investigator who enjoys food and detecting. pretty good--enjoyed the relationships in the story. will read others by this author
Barbara
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a blast reading this book. I picked it up at the library because the cover art drew me in. I thought, "I need a nice piece of fluff before I read something serious again." But, in the midst of its humor and so on, it had some bits that made me think: about the lies we tell ourselves about food, body size and exercise... and manners and stereotypes, too.

Kat
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doris
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Savannah Reid is fiesty and not ashamed of her plus-size body, although I think the author tends to apologize for it in some ways. However, the stories, set in California, are well written.

This one softened the curt chatter between the two main characters, although I was a bit disappointed that they still took too long to figure out whodunnit.
Marcia
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the continuing adventures of Savannah Reid, Dirk, Tammy, and Savannah's family. Meanwhile, a murder occurs with multiple suspects. In the end, Savannah confronts the murderer and elicits a confession. The motive was simple, yet common--- lust for money. All the other motives were secondary to it.
Lauren Fidler
took forever for me to get into, didn't like savannah or the mystery, and almost didn't finish.

for personal reasons.

i don't know which came first, stephanie plum or savannah reid. but given my druthers, i'd pick stephanie first.

sorry.
Holly
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-books, mystery
pretty good. Not as good as a Stephanie Plum, Sophie Katz or Jack Daniels. I enjoyed the San Carmelita descriptions! But.. I am from the deep south and don't talk like Savannah. Sometimes she is cartoonish in her "Southernisims".
Christine
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think a lot of people can relate to the ups and down of weight and their own self image. Seeing Savannah and her GA family and crew enjoying food is almost a shame that people are getting murdered around them.
B.
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I had read two or three of the books in this series quite a while ago; don't remember much about them, except that they were a quick read, and entertaining. This one is much the same...I like the investigator, a heavyset southern woman who is funny and smart, and the mystery storlyine was okay.
Beth Mcintyre
Cute! I found this by browsing e-books that are available for checkout, instead of just reserving the ones I know I want to read. I've found some good authors this way...nothing too deep here, but entertaining nonetheless.
Sfdreams
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed this series of the sassy, full-figured Southern private investigator, Savannah. This time, I enjoyed her employee, Tammy, because it just occurred to me that Tammy is a raw vegan much of the time. (Although she did eat caviar near the end...not vegan, and maybe not raw.)
Darlene
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, family
Another interesting mystery featuring Savannah Reid with her Moonlight Magnolias Detective Agency and Detective Sergent Dirk Coulter trying to discover woe killed the husband of fitness diva, Clarissa Jardin, owner of the House of Pain and Gain. Many characters to chose from. Not a bad read.
Michelle
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most recent of G.A. McKevett's series starring Savannah Reid, this book was a quick and enjoyable read.

Savannah is one of my favorite mystery heroines. She's older, cranky, has a few too many pounds and loves food. What's not to like about her?
Melanie Jacobson
Fun and fast, relatively clean. I like the sassy main character and the quick wit. Great vacation book. Will definitely be picking up more.
Carol
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Savannah Reid books. I was hooked from book 1 and anxiously await the next one. I would recommend these to everyone
Christine
I enjoyed this book, however, I thought her other books were more entertaining. The series is getting to the point knowing what is coming next or will happen.
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • Stay At Home Dead (Stay At Home Dad Mystery #1)
  • Dial Emmy for Murder (Soap Opera Mystery, #2)
  • Booby Trap (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #4)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #1)
  • Basil Instinct (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #2)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #15)
  • Peaches and Scream (Georgia Peach Mystery, #1)
  • If Bread Could Rise to the Occasion  (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #3)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Mack's Bar Mystery, #1)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • A Catered Wedding (A Mystery with Recipes, #2)
  • Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder, #3)
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored over fifty published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed SAVANNAH REID MYSTERIES under the pseudonym G. A. McKevett.

Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers. Her earthy humor and fast-paced plots delight her fans, while critics applaud her offbeat characterizations and inci
More about G.A. McKevett...

A Savannah Reid Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Sweets (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)