Start by marking “Say Hello!” as Want to Read:
Say Hello!

Say Hello!

Carmelita loves to greet everyone in her colorful neighborhood. There are people from so many different cultures! They all like to say hello too, so now Carmelita can say hello in Spanish, English, French, Japanese, and many other languages. And her dog, Manny? Well, he seems to understand everyone, and gives a happy "Woof!" wherever he goes. Emphasizing the rich diversity ...more
Published April 15th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

Start your review of Say Hello!
Kathryn
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carmelita and her mother go on a visit and on their way pass through their multicultural town. They exchange greetings in many languages as they pass friends from diverse backgrounds.

Rachel Isadora's collage illustrations are delightful here. I really enjoyed all the details, the attention to the attire of the various people and decorations in the shops in the town. (Of course, it might have been more accurate to show that some of the people from other background don't always dress in tradition
Lisa Vegan
I loved this book. I found it heartwarming and I got a chuckle when the dog gave a hello bark on every page.

I’m a sucker for books such as this. Little girl. Check. Dog. Check. Multi-cultural neighborhood. Check. Learning words in other languages. Check. (In this case it’s the word hello, in many languages: Arabic, French, Spanish (2 ways in Spanish!), Italian, Swahili, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, and Hebrew, not in that order. Not making the list at the end, but within the story, is I guess wha
Samantha
multilingual / vignettes of walking around different multiracial neighborhoods and normalizing, practicing how to say "hellow!" in different languages!!! <3 def a new staple for my storytimes!! :*-) ...more
Annawade Stevenson
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
"Say Hello" by Rachel Isadora is a multicultural picture book that is about a little Spanish girl named Carmelita who goes around her neighborhood with her mom and dog saying hello to everyone in different languages. They continue to walk around the neighborhood and go to a restaurant, bakery, a butcher, a pizza place, the park, and ice cream truck and finally end up visiting their friend or family member named Abuela Rose. The tone of the book is cheerful and light, and everyone she says hello ...more
Tasha
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
On her way to her Abuela Rose’s house, Carmelita greets her neighbors and learns how they say hello in their different languages. Carmelita’s dog Manny is happy to greet everyone with a friendly “Woof” that translates easily into every language. The book is set in a diverse urban neighborhood filled with friendly faces in a variety of skin tones. How do you say hello in your family or neighborhood?

Isadora has again created a book for very young readers that is inviting and fresh. The urban setti
Brittany
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Book Description: On her way to see grandma, a young girl encounters people of all different ethnicity's throughout her neighborhood and greets them in their respective languages.

Story: I liked this book for multiple reasons. The first being the interactive part of learning how to say hello in different languages. I liked even more that there was an index in the back of the book telling me the correct pronunciation of each of the ways to say hello. The story was okay, I’ve seen it done a lot of
Lauren
Text to world:

This story really connects to the changing world around us. You can literally walk down the street and meet people that speak different languages or are from different cultures. Teaching kids to be kind and accepting in all situations is important especially in this day and age.

Questions:

1. Who does the girl want to visit?
2. What happened after Carmelita and her mom left the house?
3. If you could ask Carmelita a question, what would you ask?
4. How is Carmelita and the people she
Dolly
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Carmelita and her Mama greet lots of people from different cultures in their very diverse neighborhood. They practice saying hello in many differnt ways, showing that friendliness and kindness are universal.
Andrea
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _picture
SO PERFECT

So many people of so many colors! A cute dog! Great illustrations! And a pronunciation guide that lets you know the language of each greeting. This is one I'll need to buy for forever.
Meredith
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun, multicultural picture book. I always have the kids practice the different languages with me, and they get such a kick out of the dog barking after each new language.
Mama Bibliosoph
Uh-Oh! is one of my son Luke's favorite books right now, so I badly wanted to include a title by Caldecott honoree Rachel Isadora for this list. She is often compared to Ezra Jack Keats for her portrayal of a diverse cast of children characters in everyday life. Say Hello! is the book I decided to include for this list because it is so effective for showing a child what language is.

Carmelita and her dog greet everyone in her neighborhood on their way to her abuela's house. They all say hello to
Ben Truong
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Say Hello! is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Rachel Isadora and is about a girl, her mother, and her dog going on a visit with her grandmother and greeting her multicultural neighbors and friends along the way.

The text is very simplistic and straightforward. It's about a little girl walking to her grandmother's house with her mother and trusty dog and greeting her neighbors along the way. It is written with such innocence and youthful vigor that it brings a smile on one's f
Chambreeka
Carmelita and her mother walk through their multicultural neighborhood to meet here abuela. The two greet every one with hello in their native language which can be a huge learning point for children. The illustrations in the book are great and really demonstrate other cultures traditional attire. The pictures are very vibrant and there are a lot of small details within each page and makes for a great picture book. I can however see how this can be offensive because people don't always dress in ...more
Kaitlyn Rozeboom
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-k-bookshelf
Say Hello! is a culturally diverse book that connects to the changing world around us. Carmelita walks to her grandmas house. On her way she passes many people who are different than her and that speak different languages than her. Her and her mom practice saying "hello" to everyone in all the different languages. This book is teaching children to be loving and accepting of all individuals. This is super important in our world as we continue to grow more diverse. I love this book because it not ...more
Erika L.
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite storytime books! I read it for the Headstart Preschool a few months ago, and decided to read it for the Family Storytime group since it went so well before. The illustrations are super cool. I love the detail with the newspaper clippings. I didn't notice this the first time I read it, but whenever they are walking outside, there are newspaper clippings on the ground. In the park, when they meet Max and Angel, there is a person reading the newspaper in the background, a ...more
Hannah Klein
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse
Carmelita loves to greet everyone around her inclusive neighborhood. She says hello in many different languages including Arabic, French, Spanish, Italian, Spanish, Swahili, Japanese, Chinese, and Hebrew. So many cultures are depicted and celebrated in this beautiful book. It was chosen as one of the 2010 Best Children's Books on Kirkus. Isadora, an award winning author and illustrator includes beautiful illustrations that are collages full of really cool textures and shapes to depict the street ...more
Tracey
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
diverse picture book (preschool age 3+, community).
* prominently features a diverse cast: Yes--Carmelita and her family speak Spanish but have hair/skin that might also be interpreted as African-American or a mix. They exchange greetings with neighbors and friends of many different cultures on their way to Abuela Rosa's.
* Would work for preschool storytime: Yes--engaging characters and illustrations, and brief text. Note: there is a pronunciation guide at the end of the book, but many presenter
Luisa Knight
A fun walk through a neighborhood of various cultures and languages!

Ages: 3 - 7

#geography #culture #languages

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Emlen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I gave this an extra star because the basic idea is great - introducing kids to other languages, and to the range of different communities around them. But the writing just isn't very good. Similarly, I like the idea of including a bit of a American slang in a book with a bunch of foreign languages, but if your example of that is a kid saying "he's a real good snoop dawg" to a literal dog, you should maybe just leave it out.
Beth
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Carmelita and her mama walk through their neighborhood saying hello to everyone they meet in each person's native language. The art is charming and there's a pronunciation guide in the back to make sure you're saying the words correctly.

This book is great to read with a group. I used it in library storytime this morning, and the kids all repeated the words in each language as we were reading. It was a major hit!
Pam
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Carmelita, her mom and her dog set out for a walk in their neighborhood. Each page introduces a different language as Isadora celebrates the diversity in our communities. Simple text on each page starts with "hello" in each language. Of course, the dog speaks all languages fluently with one "woof." Young readers will enjoy that humor.
Gorgeous illustrations bring the feel of each heritage to life.
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little girl goes through town with her mother and along the way they meet many friends of different nationalities. Each says hello in their own language.

In the back of the book is shown how to say hello in each language. Arabic, French, two ways in Spanish, Italian, Swahili, Japanese, Mandarin (Chinese), and Hebrew.
Lovely illustrations.
Claudia Rodriguez
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inclusivity
Shandra
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, childrens
I used this one for a 1st grade class visit, but it could also work with younger kids. Not too many words, colorful art, and a fun representation of a diverse neighborhood with lots of languages/cultures. Fun art, too!
Olivia S
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this book much. Good idea, and I like the incorporation of different languages, but I really don't like the pictures or the story. It seems like she tried to fit a story in around the Hello's, and it just falls flat for me and seems awkward and forced. Disappointing.
Derek
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's a cute book about the greetings in several languages. I'm a little bothered by the page with the vernacular, where the little girl's friend calls her dog a "cute little snoop dog." It just seems like a stupid thing to call a dog, unless he's a rapper.
Carina
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
My mommy picked this book out at the library for my daddy to read to me, since he likes languages. There isn’t much of a story to the book, but you do get to practice saying “hello” in several languages, and it ends with a visit to the ice cream truck.
Amanda
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-books
As an international teacher and Mom to a third culture kid/baby I’m trying to instill a love of languages and cultures from a young age. This book is wonderful for that purposes. We will be reading it for many years to come!
Annie Payne
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book, and a great introduction to languages and cultures for kids!
Maria
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect echo book (audience participation) as Carmelita greets everyone in her neighborhood in their own language. I can't wait to read it to the kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lovely
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Little Pea
  • The Family Book
  • Minu suur karu, minu väike karu ja mina
Rachel Isadora is an award-winning children's author and illustrator. She has written children's books on multiple topics including ballet, life in America and Africa, and has illustrated several Brother Grimm tales in an African setting. She is most well-known for her Caldecott Honor Award book "Ben's Trumpet". She was a ballet dancer before she became an illustrator and children's writer.