Start by marking “The Internet is a Playground” as Want to Read:
The Internet is a Playground

The Internet is a Playground

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  5,453 Ratings  ·  530 Reviews
The complete collection of articles and emails from 27bslash6 such as Overdue Account, Party in Apartment 3 and Strata Agreement plus articles too litigious to be on the website.
Published by Fontaine Press (first published 2010)

Belinda Guiness
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please do future readers a favor by placing a warning on the cover of the book. The warning needs to state something to the effect of: "Warning. Do not begin this book if you have anything important scheduled in the next several hours. Also, do not begin reading this book in a public place where you may be the victim of scorn for laughing so hard you snort. Please do not read this book at bedtime, as loss of sleep will result. Further, please do not read this book if you have no sense of humor a ...more
Jennie
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tucker Max fans, /b/tards
Shelves: humor, non-fiction, satire
Thorne's humor is decidedly hit or miss. His shenanigans with religions demagogues and a pompous blowhard of a coworker (who demands he makes a logo. With pie charts. For free) are laugh out loud funny, but many of the pranks are juvenile, crass, mean-spirited, or just simply not funny.

Personally, I'm not a fan of humor had at the expense of others if it's easy. Someone who satirizes power, like Colbert in his now infamous 2006 White House Correspondence Dinner address, is brave. Someone who pic
Jason
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it

A round-up -- a lot of okay gags and writing, a few gems. The allure for me was Thorne's transcripts of email conversations, where he basically annoys the crap out of co-workers, bureaucratic functionaries, and internet trolls. I laughed a few times, and generally enjoyed the book, 'though reading at Thorne's website might reap the same benefits while allowing you the comfort of skipping past anything that isn't quite working.

Meanwhile, I love to play pranks. Here is a great idea for a prank:

Sta
jv poore
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
So funny.
Oriana
mid-read: So hmm. This very well illustrates one of the big issues with the blog-to-book phenomenon. David Thorne is a hilarious dick, and he's known mostly for these ridiculous email exchanges he (supposedly) has with actual hapless morons, like the Blockbuster clerk, the volunteer chaplain at his son's school, his new neighbor, his building manager, etc. And as short quick standalone pieces, these really are awesome (provided you don't think too hard about his poor naïve prey).

But the publish
Susan Howson
Sep 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1. Some people deserve to be messed with, and some don't. A person doing their job and collecting an unpaid bill, or a cop doing due diligence, or a cat owner who is worried sick...I'm not sure there's any reason to be so self-congratulatory about making their lives miserable.

2. Speaking of self-congratulatory, the entire book could just say "I'm really proud of myself" over and over, and it would have had the same effect.

3. While many parts are funny, and Thorne knows how to write, cleverness
Julie - Book Hooked Blog
May 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
We're all fairly familiar with the concept of trolling right? The author of this blog-turned-book is basically a troll who publishes his internet interactions with friends, co-workers and anonymous strangers on his site/blog (27bslash6). The thing about the book is that it's funny and entertaining enough at first. But the more you read, the more you start to get the sense that the humor isn't clever or anything above the ordinary - the trolling consists mainly of making fun of people on the inte ...more
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Somehow, in the hundreds of thousands of hours I've spent mindlessly procrastinating on the internet, I never came across 27bslash6. When I read the synopsis for The Internet is a Playground, the antics of David Thorne were totally new to me and I was intrigued. Paying a doctor with a drawing of a spider? It seemed just the right level of random and slightly insane that my sense of humor seems to gravitate towards.

In his emails, Thorne manages to walk the obnoxious without ever having to resort
William Bentrim
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Internet Is A Playground by David Thorne

David Thorne is impossible to critique. I suspect you will either love him or hate him as I don’t see a lot of middle ground. This is a collection of his musings on his website noted below.

This book reads like the diary of a bi-polar satirist. Thorne appears to do all the things that we often wish we had to courage to do. He responds to inanity with insanity. I suspect that hospitalization may have been necessary for some of the recipients of his bran
Emma Sea
1) Equal parts hilarious and cringe-inducing.

2) I am so grateful I do not live near, work with, or have to interact on any professional level with Mr Thorne.

3) I want the story on page 195 to be true more than I have wanted anything since the conclusion of series six of Lost.

3.5, rounded down.
Dave Espionage
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered that David Thorne had a book around the same time that I had discovered that reading the phrase "cactus with a hat" inspired mild asphyxiation in me. The specific article that lost me a good hour was "Missing Missy," and for some reason the idea of having that in book form sounded just dandy.

For starters, the table of contents amuses me endlessly. Be warned, however, that for many, this book will annoy your spouse. If your sense of humor does not overlap with your spouse's in the v
Patrick
Parts of it were truly, amazingly funny, but other parts came across as needlessly cruel, if not outright dickish.

For example, mocking the guy who e-mails you and calls you a douche is fair play. Have at him. But browbeating your kid's teacher until she backs off the punishment she gave your kid because he broke the rules.... it's just not the same thing.

The funny parts were truly funny though. Good humor with a strong tinge of the ridiculous. Very much to my taste.
Amy Adams
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this as an ARC, and I thought, "Hm, this might make a fun bathroom book." After about thirty seconds reading, I was hooked. I carried it around with me and read it every time I had a free second. It only lasted a couple of days, but they were a hilarious couple of days. My favorite piece is definitely about Missy's Lost cat. I giggle just thinking about it.
Joshua Gross
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had visited David Thorne's blog and had been a fan of several of his more popular humorous email exchanges, but having to read a whole book by him made realize how old this schtick gets after only a short while. His email exchanges with various people, including his own internet trolls, are usually pretty entertaining, but the book is interspersed with characters/coworkers/people he wants to make fun of discussing things in essay format as though from their point of view that are often not as ...more
Joanne Myers
Fun book

A fun read with lots of individual sections. The emails to and from various people are the best though. I recommend this book.
Christine
May 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Trolls, people who enjoy Schadenfreude
Recommended to Christine by: Jeremy
Shelves: read-fiction
On the internet, it's not hard to find people that use the anonymity to be a contrarian, absurd, or just an asshole. What is rare to find someone who is so committed to being a smartass that they will place enough identifying information to attract anger (and lawsuits) to their real life. He does acknowledge some friends in the preface, although I can't imagine they really exist.

This book is a collection of material from the website 27b/6, from south Australian graphic designer David Thorne. It
Scott Millington
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ok, David Thornes book The Internet is a Playground is hilarious. It is hard to write a review for this book as there is two versions, this edition and the much larger "Black Label" edition available only from his website which contains more articles. I have both versions and recommend the black label edition but regardless, this is without a doubt the most hilarious book I have ever read. Not just funny, laugh out loud, sides hurting funny. There is some swear words throughout the book but noth ...more
Arminzerella
Lindsay

An insight into the mind of someone who has plumbed the depths of despair with the stupidity of a certain segment of humanity. Someone who has had one brush too many with the blunt instruments that are the rules and regulations imposed upon us by various authorities, to save us from exercising our own common sense and judgment.

I came across the website http://www.27bslash6.com/ from which this book sprang via the links posted periodically on... every forum on the internet... to stories such as '
Kate Woods Walker
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. I laughed like an idiot.

I remember the foggot stuff from a link on a message board I frequent. So funny. I had no idea this guy had a website, so thanks, Internets, for giving me someone else's brilliance to admire. Because now I want to read more and learn from this master. If only I could learn to reply to invitations I didn't receive, hear questions that weren't asked and offer barter art when money is requested. Oh, to have his email jujitsu skills! What a world it would be!

Well, I salu
Scott
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
One of the most influential literary works of our time! THE INTERNET IS A PLAYGROUND is a dazzling and original achievement by the masterful David Thorne. This is the first piece of literature since the Book of Genesis that should be required reading for the entire human race....David Thorne has done nothing less than to create in the reader a sense of all that is profound, meaningful, and meaningless in life.
Eric
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is destined to sit beside Believe as amongst the best bathroom reads ever. Is there anything more entertaining than someone messing with simpletons from behind the veil and safety of his own computer? Entertaining and, dare I say, compelling? Thorne is a hero to those without a voice; people who are upset, but are unable to vent to anyone. Plus, it's all so funny, like Keyboard Cat.
Michael Parker
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
After thoroughly reading about a quarter of the book, I realized that I only enjoyed reading the email correspondence, so I simply skipped to those parts.

It's a very funny read, but best to just read the emails on his website which is free to read and doesn't have any filler material.

27bslash6.com
Ana
I literally had tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks as I read this. Not all of the exchanges are as funny as that but it was certainly a lot of fun reading this book. I especially loved the one about the neighbor with the floodlight. I fell out of my chair in hysterics after reading that, which probed my mother's questions of my mental health, but who cares?
Schnaucl
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was throughly entertained and had frequent bouts of laughter.

I'm confident that if I got into an actual e-mail exchange with Thorne I'd be incredibly annoyed rather than amused, but as long as it's happening to someone else it's amusing.
Tina
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't much laugh out loud while reading. And I certainly never "LOL". But this book had me snorting with laughter time and again. Thorne's pranks, cranks and comebacks are perfect for the more cynical and sarcastic among us.
Kay
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was full of some great laughs. I read a little bit of this book everyday to cheer me up. The emails are absolutely hilarious.
Some of the jokes were not that funny but it's alright. It's a 50/50 chance, a hit or miss, for every joke.
Max
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
So far this book has acid wit .. and dont kid yourself while you read it .. hes making fun of us too. I highly recommend this book because it will make you think about the internet. :)
Todd
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I laughed so hard i peed :-).
Michael Mize
This book was LOL funny but a complete waste of my time.
Given that, if you like British authors you'll appreciate the extra "u" in some of the words.
  • Emails from an Asshole: Real People Being Stupid
  • Cyanide and Happiness
  • You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News
  • This is a Book
  • 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides
  • The Geeks' Guide to World Domination: Be Afraid, Beautiful People
  • What I'd Say to the Martians and Other Veiled Threats
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • Family Guy: Stewie's Guide To World Domination (Family Guy)
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • The Book of (Even More) Awesome
  • Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
  • The Will to Whatevs: A Guide to Modern Life
  • Save Yourself, Mammal!: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • The Inner History of Devices
  • Attack of the Bacon Robots! (Penny Arcade, #1)
David Thorne is an Australian humourist, satirist, Internet personality and New York Times best-selling author. His work has been featured on the BBC, The Late Show with David Letterman, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Thorne gained public recognition in late 2008 for an email exchange in which he attempts to pay an overdue bill with a drawing of a seven-legged spider. ...more
More about David Thorne

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $1.99
“Opinions are like nipples, everybody has one. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not.” 52 likes
“While I do not have a boyfriend, I do have a friend who is homosexual and I once asked him "Do you ever think about having sex with me because you are gay?" to which he replied "Do you ever think about having sex with Rosie O'Donnell because you are straight? Same thing.” 13 likes