Start by marking “The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)

The Pursuit of Marriage

(Effingtons #8)

What lengths would a young lady go to in her pursuit of the perfect match?

And how far would a gentleman go to stop her?

Cassandra Effington is one of the most delicious debutantes to ever waltz across a London ballroom. But while her identical twin sister Delia is now wed, Cassandra is still unclaimed, and everyone agrees her standards are entirely too high. So how could
Published May 25th 2004 by Avon (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Pursuit of Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pursuit of Marriage

Start your review of The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
The UHQ Nasanta

I read this book for a challenge, pulled off a listopia list for books about twins, not realizing it was the 8th in the series. The name Effington did sound familiar and I thought that it was a series I had read before by a different author; I'd just gotten confused. Nonetheless, I had expectations of a delightfully light historical romance, which were met.

I enjoyed this story, mostly for the humor but also for the fact that in a couple of instances, I had expected one (dreaded) thing
Daniella
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
(This is actually a 3.5 star-rating, but as a personal rule, I round down.)

Ridiculous. Chaotic. Inconsistent. Anachronistic. But oh-so-deliciously funny, witty and entertaining.

This is how I'd describe The Pursuit of Marriage.

Yes, okay, the book's far from perfect; the writing was merely satisfactory, the plot was unstructured and all over the place, Cassie's personality practically had a 180 degree turn by the 50% marker, and the minor conflict could have been settled by a conversation
Julianna
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance Who Enjoy Farcial Comedy
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I’ve slowly been making my way through Victoria Alexander’s Effington Family & Friends series, with the goal of reaching a between-the-books novella that I didn’t want to read out of order. That’s mainly why I’ve stuck with it throughout eight novels that have been hit and miss with me. Well, that and I was trying to give the author a fair shake. But overall, these books have missed more than they’ve hit. Only one-third of the stories I’ve read by this author have
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a shame that I read this book right after finishing several Georgette Heyer novels. In truth, her works tend to throw all other Regencies into the shade.

This book was a light, fluffy romp employing the usual bets & love/hate fights in order to bring our hero and heroine together. I have to say that I liked this more than the average Regency, but it was just hard to compare the attempts at witty banter coming off Heyer's The Grand Sophy. Also, there were a lot of similarities to the
Judy
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reggie Berkley has been in several of the previous books. Good friend to Marcus Pennington and Thomas Effington. Poor Reggie falls in love constantly. He flys off the precipice and always lands with a crash after telling the lady he loves her and she refuses him.

Cassandra Effington learned she is quite the home decorator. After helping her twin, Delia, decorate first her late husbands home and then St. Stephen's home, Delia's new husband.

The woman who gather to marry their children off have met
Anastasiaadamov
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Passable historical romance book with all the cliches and expected plot twists.
Lauren
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being the eighth book in the series the readers have already had the pleasure of meeting some of the characters. Cassandra is one such character, strong willed and lightly opinionated at best she is the perfect foil to the love struck Reggie. Cassandra is a likable character and really relatable to a modern day girl even in a Regency style setting.

The humor was abundant throughout the story and the characters meshed well together. It is one of those nice little happy go lucky romances that just
Michelle
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really liked this original romance with the honest Reggie who so easily falls in love and has great friends who support even his worst ideas, and Cassie, the incomparable business-woman who doesn't doubt herself until she meets Reggie. Slapstick-y and light-hearted, this romance made me plain happy, even though the end was a little silly. And I did not like Miss Wonderful at ALL! Now to read more of the Effington clan!
Camille
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Kind of cheesy quick romance novel. Not so great that I will read more from this author, but it was ok
Rebecca
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Helen
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 stars rounded up to a 4. The 3.5 is because I put it down for a week in favor of something else; the 4 is because the dialogue and characters are delightfully funny. I honestly would love to see this made into a TV romantic comedy movie. The dialogue is already written, the best friends/siblings are fully fleshed and great foils for the main characters, and the setting could be updated or left in its current time. This left me smiling in so many places. Even the characters are ...more
Miriamgreen
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
i was waiting for the story of Reggie Berkley since Marcus Pennington's marriage. it was worth it. not perfect but with the essential humor to give it four stars. only confusion it that Cassandra's marriage is mentioned in another title as more celebrated than a special license in his home decorated as a seraglio. none the less, a good read while Trump tramps our constitution into bits.
Eve
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get into story. I get that this is part of series, but the side characters were too much. At least, hook me first with the main characters before meandering into others. Boring. DNF.
Patria
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Maura
Sarina
Giving it 2, actually, 1.5 stars...What saved it from being rated 1 star... was its neatly wrapped up ending..

It had a promising start....somewhat. But then the story dragged on after 60% of the plot...I mean, I've read better romance and believable stories in 150 or 400 pages...This one could easily be finished in 150 pages... Found nothing very intriguing about either the hero or the heroine...

I'm glad it's finished. Felt excited at first...felt bored to the point of infinity during the
Bronwyn Rykiert
This is my first Victoria Alexander book and I found it on the whole entertaining.

It was a little slow to start and the conversations between the characters is frivolous, but by the time I got to the end I realized that is what the author had in mind.

The Pursuit of Marriage is a game between the eccentric Cassandra Effington, who in in her 7th season and Reggie - the infamous Viscount Berkley who with the help of his friends had given himself a reputation so he could have hordes of women but it
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Matchmaking mothers scheme to bring together a woman looking for Lord Perfect and a man... not sure how to define him, possibly the book would have been better if his identity had ever coalesced around some central theme. This was lighthearted and funny at times, but insanely long for what it was. The latter two-thirds could have been excised without damaging the story; it just contained repeats of a storyline that never quite made sense in the first place. And although I usually love dialogue, ...more
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first I just couldn't get into this book,so I put it down for quite some time. I think it was more because I was burnt out on the genre. But I did pick it back up and finish it!
I am happy I decided to finish this book. It made me laugh so much.
I fell in love with Viscount Berkley and all his little plans.
Remember even the best laid plans fail!
Cassandra Effington is very outspoken, I connected with her. She has always wanted to marry "Lord Perfect". But as she is now realizing Lord Perfect is
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Cassie is looking for Lord Perfect tomarry. But no one meets her expcectations and her family loves to tell her so. So at a race featuring her brother and his friend Lord Berkeley, Cassie meets Lord Berkeley. Reggie, Lord Berkeley is made known by Cassandra that they would not suit. But Cassie's heart has other plans along with their scemeing movers. Cassie and Reggie's movers throw hem together in Cassie's buisness of refurbishing homes. As they look through his home, Cassie starts to consider ...more
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, effingtons
Cindy Peng
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was at BookOff and realized that I hadn't read a good bodice-ripping, double-entendre-enhanced historical romance in a long time. I picked up this little volume (with the long-haired, bare-chested Fabio clone discreetly hidden on the inside cover) and was pleasantly surprised. Sure it's a typical romance with the typical ludicrous plot devices (the meeting of the couple and the marriage all happen within a week), but it's witty, funny, and charming. A little embarrassing to read in public, but ...more
Robin
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This one was cute and quick. Regency fluff with fun (i.e., hardly believable) characters, snappy dialogue, and a fast-paced plot. It had been so long since reading the previous book (The Lady in Question) that all of the characters were fresh to me. I almost wish I had read it back-when so that I could "get" more of the inside humor. But even that did not diminish my enjoyment.
Mem
Cassandra Effington's twin sister is married. Cassandra standards are to high according to society. Lord Berkley has been in love many times with no success. Now he's wagered with Cassie on who will find first the perfect match for the other. Now can he convince Cassie he's her match?
Enjoyed the back and forth of the two main characters. Their friends and siblings interference kept the story moving.
Mandy
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Since I have not read the other books in the series, I wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily, I wasn't put out by the abundance of characters found or the mention of their stories.

I liked that she was doing something different with her time other than just the normal pursuits. I liked the interactions between the siblings. It reminded me of how overprotective my brothers were to me.

It was a typical romance, but I enjoyed it.
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Carlena
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book a great deal but some parts could really tick me off. Such as the fact that it's set historically where women can't be sexual. Or the woman who tricks the main heroine into believing something that wasnt real. Maybe I just can't stand the anti-feminist part of our history but I know I can't stand conniving people. That being said its still a good book and worthy of a read.
JiMina Heart
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read
Looking for a historical romance with good laugh? Then this book is indeed one of them... The lines between characters are utterly funny and full of wits! I love it that I can't stop myself reading... I love the other characters on the book too from Cassandra's brothers and sister to Miss Wonderful and Lord Perfect! And how nonsense can Reggie be lol I love it all!
Anna Mcfarland
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was hoping that this book would be similar to Georgette Heyer's novels, but it was below expectations. It had an interesting plot and likable characters although still not up to par with Heyer's. I certainly enjoyed the wager to find a spouse for each other, but it also had a premarital sex scene that ruined the book for me. Now my copy is missing several pages and I'm okay with that;)
Amos
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
of Borders Marketplace 6/21/2010
started 7/20/2010 Again this goes into what women have had to go through for "independence". Books found 8-5-2010 by Susan’s Bed posted GoodReads 8-9-2010 Returned to Susan

• Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • The Abduction of Julia (Rogues, #1)
  • Immortal Born (Argeneau #30)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • My One True Highlander (No Ordinary Hero, #2)
  • Lady Claire Is All That (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #3)
  • One-Eyed Dukes Are Wild (Dukes Behaving Badly, #3)
  • Duchess by Design (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #1)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • The Trouble With Vampires (Argeneau #29)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)
  • My Fair Duchess (Dukes Behaving Badly, #5)
  • Something Sinful (Griffin Family, #3)
  • Her Officer and Gentleman (Just Ask Reeves, #2)
  • Winning Miss Wakefield (Wallflower Weddings, #2)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,

Effingtons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)
“Leo offered his arm and Cassie took it. Sister and brother strolled aimlessly for a few moments. “Perhaps we have not suffered enough to earn happiness?”

Cassie glanced up at him, relieved to note the teasing twinkle in his eye. “I should be happy to make you suffer with a well-placed kick to your backside if that’s what you wish.”

Leo laughed. “I shall pass if you don’t mind. Besides, I am barely nine-and-twenty and have plenty of time left to enjoy myself before the need truly arises to settle myself with a wife.” He sobered. “You, however—”

“Don’t say it, Leo,” Cassie said firmly. “Or I shall be forced to deliver that kick and a great deal more.”
1 likes
“Möge ihnen die Liebe für immer ihre Schwingen leihen, so dass ihre Füße nie wieder den Boden berühren.” 1 likes