Start by marking “The 80/10/10 Diet: Balancing Your Health, Your Weight, and Your Life, One Luscious Bite at a Time” as Want to Read:

Finally, a diet that makes sense, puts the advice of the world's leading nutritionists into effect, and tastes delicious ]] all rolled into one. The 80/10/10 Diet makes eating a joy while helping you achieve optimum health and easy weight control. Say goodbye to fast food and hello to instantaneous food. Gain awesome energy eating Dr. Graham's Simply Delicious recipes.
Published November 1st 2006 by Food N Sport Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The 80/10/10 Diet, please sign up.
J.D. Knutson Most of the book is dedicated to the why. He does have about 50 pages dedicated to how, mostly a template of what your meals can look like for spring,…moreMost of the book is dedicated to the why. He does have about 50 pages dedicated to how, mostly a template of what your meals can look like for spring, summer, and winter - he has a seven day layout for each season - the recipes are so simple as to not need their own page.(less)

Start your review of The 80/10/10 Diet: Balancing Your Health, Your Weight, and Your Life, One Luscious Bite at a Time
Zoe Zuniga
Aug 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Every one with a body
Recommended to Zoe by: http://dianaharrelson.com/
Shelves: society
After trying this diet and gaining a lot of weight I decided to give up on the perfect raw ideal. I am now eating more beans and greens and less sweets and that seems to be working better for me using the Joel Fhurman books as a guide.
I had raved about this book and the raw foods high fruit low fat diet at first. the pros were getting off the refined foods. But in the long run it was not sustainable for my body and I am ok with that.
Kenzie
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

At first I thought this diet looked NUTSO (and I disregarded it), but I had tried raw and was got a whole new whack of issues, so I had no choice and it was THE BEST THING I EVER DID.

This book changed my health, changed my life.

I no longer have:
Chronic fatigue
Fibromyalgia
Interstitial Cystitis
Low blood pressure

(I know right, how could I have so much???)
Lauren
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Following 80-10-10 for a few months completely eradicated my IBS symptoms like nothing else has. After a while, though, I found it difficult to maintain following Dr. Graham's plan 100%. I'm still tweaking my diet to help cope with a couple of other medical conditions and to fit within a relatively normal lifestyle if possible. But I believe this is very possibly the healthiest diet if you can stick to it.
Zeth
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was amazing, this diet really makes sense to me. I'm all ready a vegan, but moving on to a low-fat, raw diet seems like the right, healthful thing to do. This book really inspires me to take my lifestyle to a new level.
Fei
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
No scientific foundation, little research, Dr. Graham not a practicing M.D. but a chiropractor, and a self-published book.

Some great ideas - eating plenty of vegetables and fruits, eating natural and unprocessed foods and getting exercise, but ultimately a layperson's opinion on how we ought to eat.
Lisa Vegan
I actually agree with a lot of what's said in here about the optimal diet for humans, even though I don't plan on ever going raw. Of course not all vegan foods are healthy, but I think it’s best to eat a whole foods vegan diet that includes plenty of cooked foods, not that I eat that way either.

I’m not really convinced about the basic tenets proposed, even though I think the diet suggested is much healthier than the standard American Diet (SAD). I’m very skeptical about such claims a
Monica
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
The 80/10/10 diet is a raw vegan diet where you eat 80% carbs and 10% fat & protein. In order to get enough calories to sustain your life, you need to eat .. a lot. As in .. not one banana for breakfast, but 12 bananas for breakfast. The quantity of food needed to sustain this type of diet is ridiculous.

I do think the concept of this diet is interesting and I do believe that we should eat a more plant based diet; however, the author lumps everyone into one category - Vegans. We are not supp
Amanda
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
When I first started this book there were a couple sentences I read outloud to my husband and he said put that down.. That guy is a quack. And I kinda thought he might be right... But the one thing that rings true that may change my food eating life is to question whether what I am choosing to eat is delicious looking and will satisfy my hunger in it's natural state. That turkey I almost threw up while preparing... Not so much. But what about the pineapple I just sliced into, or the mango that d ...more
Lisa
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yes I'm all for whole food plant based eating, but this is just ridiculous. I don't understand why he can call himself a doctor when he's a chiropractor (reminds me of Two & a Half Men). Sure carbs are good, fat is "bad", but there's more to it. And anyone who promotes raw eating is a little crazy because WHY wouldn't eat something during the winter time that helps you warm up? I couldn't live without pasta or rice or potatoes etc.

The writing style and the scientific base this bo
Lois
Mar 24, 2010 added it
I guess you could say I'm obsessing about nutrition again. (we all have our pet obsessions, right?) This was a great book. It builds off of some of my already favorite nutritional philosophies/authors (i.e. The China Study, Dr. Furhman, etc) and takes nutrition/health to a whole new level. Most importantly, eating as he recommends has made a huge difference in how this pregnancy has gone. It has turned this around from my worst pregnancy to my best third trimester ever.
Kaz.
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good book that I found very interesting, a lot of what Doug says is common sense when he points it out to you. I think it is a good idea to eat lots/mostly raw food but I'm not against eating some cooked vegetables and some rice, beans and oats in the diet.
Wandoo
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As you might have guessed 80/10/10 refers to the calonutrient ratio that is Carbohydrate, protein and fat respectively. Doug Graham propagates a regimen of whole, fresh, ripe, raw, organic fruit and vegetables as the most optimal food for human consumption. If the Garden of Eden is any indication of how the creator intended for us eat, then by that alone 80/10/10 gains some credibility.
People have different paths of entrance so to speak into the raw food world. 3 years ago I found myself
Arta Sallabegolli
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay, so I did not actually finish reading this book. More like skimmed the parts that I was interested in knowing more about. But even so I am happy I read it. I learned a lot about what I have been doing wrong in my diet and how I can further improve my health. Definitely worth a read even if you don’t read all of it.
Dawn
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
80% carbs (mostly fruit) 10% protein (vegan) 10% fat (vegan). I truly believe if we ate 80% fruit and veggies (organic) 10% protein (vegan) and 10% fat (vegan), we would be free from disease and enjoy energy and glowing health well over 100 years old. This plan makes health, optimal weight, and anti-aging easy peasy. Our fangs (cuspids) are dull for chopping and chewing fruits and vegetables. They are not sharp enough to rip open the carcass of a live animal (if you don't believe me, try it for ...more
Kevin G G Simon
Apr 10, 2012 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Anyone who like extremes
Recommended to Kevin G G by: No one I just kept seeing the title.
I tried following the program but my weight steadily climbed. This way of eating is just not for me. I like a nice balance of both fruit and vegetables. I have adopted low fat/ high carb from the plan and added it to my current raw vegan meal planning.
Russell Holbrook
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book puts forth the most reasonable, and solid argument for a raw foods diet that I've ever read. Although it's not a super fun read, the style is warm and personable and the insights are truly thought-provoking.
What Graham proposes in this book seems so radical that most people, if they take the time to get through the entire book, will probably just brush it off. But, what if a radical shift is our only answer at this point in history?
I'm sure we've all heard the phrase, "Everythin
Katie Miller
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Would give it 3.5 stars if that was an option. There were a lot of interesting arguments in this book and it definitely encouraged me to look differently at my diet. I believe we would all benefit from more fruits and vegetables, and agree we shouldn't be afraid of fruits. I actually have started incorporated just more fruit into my diet and feel much better in a lot of ways. That being said, I don't think one diet fits all and based on location, lifestyle and goals, I'm not sure 80/10/10 works ...more
Mel
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Macronutrients: Carbs/80, Protein/10, Fat/10

pg. 39 the author discusses Fruit and Diabetes. There's a common misconception that people with diabetes (2) should avoid fruits.

pg. 43 discusses the "war on cancer" and how thirty years later no one is any closer to finding a cure.

pg. 45 Cancer researchers have demonstrated that when cells in a petri dish are bathed in an appropriate nutritive environment and the tocxic waste products are their metabolism are effciently removed, healthy
Brigitte Williamson
First book I ever read regarding a high-raw, HCLF fruit-based vegan lifestyle-- finally finished it.

I have a lot of problems with this book, and I definitely think that it should be taken with a grain of salt, or a tablespoon. But it does have value as a place to start when first researching veganism and health, and on an evolutionary, intuitive level it makes a lot of sense. It sets up the ideal of eating only fresh raw fruits and tender greens, but focuses on a much more manageable
Annalie
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting book. I was receptive to the recommended low-fat/raw/vegan diet because I've researched it...but I don't know if I would have have been totally convinced otherwise. Graham tells you things are true without backing it up enough. There are references to The China Study and other research studies, but they weren't utilized very well.

That said, I give it 4 stars because I totally agree with the diet. It will be difficult to do, even though I love raw foods. I've done bouts of raw before
Ann Samford
Douglas Graham is recommending a raw fruit based diet. He includes the fruit vegetables (squash, tomatoes etc.) and the leafy greens in his diet. I like his emphasis on fresh fruit and feel much better about those days I eat 5 or 6 peaches and a whole container of blueberries and want to eat more fruit. I thought I was binge eating. I am happy to find a book that says this kind of eating is healthy and appropriate and we should eat more meals like that. I'm not ready to go to the kind of raw foo ...more
Amanda
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition
I have to admit. I've had doubts about this book. Although I still need to cross reference I think it is valid.

I've been giving this a try for about 2 weeks now and I'm noticing huge changes. I have so much energy I don't know what to do with it. Before I suffered from fatigue , I couldn't cope with completing everyday tasks because I was just too tired. Now I'm getting everything done that needs doing and more!

I have gained 5 pounds though. I'm unsure if its because I was dehydrate
Osama Aghbar
Jan 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't agree with the principles of this book
I agree with the percentages ( 80/10/10) but you should eat meat in moderation ( red, white)
you cannot go for the rest of your life as fruitarian or even vegetarian
please ask all vegetarians and fruitarians, I swear that they are taking supplements to compensate the loss of essential elements they lost because of this tough inconsequential diet
this is not a good lifestyle, you will feel that you are weak, and don't rely on practitioners
J.D. Knutson
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
He has some great things to say! I enjoyed reading his work. However, some things made him just seem off his rocker, which is why he lost a star. I strongly appreciate his breakdown of how sugars and fat work in the body (Candida and insulin, etc). It seriously changed how I look at the balance of fat and sugars in the body - which is saying something since I've been on a relatively low fat, oil free, plant based diet for four years before reading this! He stopped my struggle with several health ...more
James Williams
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book has taught me a lot that I had never known about some of the causes that led to me being diagnosed as type II non-insulin-dep diabetic in 2006. I have since changed the structure and content of my diet, though I do not adhere to his strict frugivore diet. I am not yet a vegetarian, but do lean in my life largely toward eating living foods as often as possible, for the vitality they provide me.
Dave Donahoe
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healthy-eating
There is a lot of logic to what he proposes in this book. It merits looking into and is something to strive toward. "Fat is fat" makes perfect sense and brings into question the whole healthy fat argument.
Rachelle Fleming
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made my transition to low fat raw vegan smooth and gratifying. It builds up a solid foundation of knowledge and understanding of why eating this way is so important. This foundation helps me continue eating this way.
Purghy
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the Bible of nutrition and health. It's not just a diet, no way! It's a book about our genetic information regardind food. Simple. And dr. Graham reminds us that we are Humans. Unfortunately, we tend to complicate things waaaay too much and we become sick because we use the wrong fuel.
Jude Thaddeus
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book. My review is here: http://www.raw-food-health.net/Natura...
Gary Peterson
I've been seeing Dr. Doug Graham and hearing about the 80/10/10 Diet on vegan YouTube channels for years, but never bought the book. For one thing, the diet is pretty simple so you can get the basics of it without the book; secondly, this trade paperback retails for a whopping $29.95. But lo and behold, there it was in Half Price Books one day for a mere sawbuck, so I snapped it up and finally read the primary source instead of relying on the accolades and/or agitprop of the vegan gurus (who are ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
http://www.forumvancouver.com/members/clarkgilbert.11077/ 1 1 Feb 18, 2017 04:00AM
the 80/10/10 diet 2 33 Aug 15, 2008 10:57AM

• The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • Medical Medium: Secrets Behind Chronic and Mystery Illness and How to Finally Heal
  • Enzyme Nutrition: The Food Enzyme Concept
  • Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
  • Green for Life
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Towards Natural Health
  • Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
  • Medical Medium Life-Changing Foods: Save Yourself and the Ones You Love with the Hidden Healing Powers of Fruits  Vegetables
  • Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
  • The Grape Cure
  • The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham
  • Creating Healthy Children
  • ROAR: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life
  • Wild Power: Discover the Magic of Your Menstrual Cycle and Awaken the Feminine Path to Power
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
  • Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It
“Many foods that are cooked, such as meats and grains, would otherwise be unappetizing or inedible to humans. Cooking allows foods to bypass sensory safeguards that would normally protect us from ingesting unnatural and unhealthful substances. Essentially, cooking makes it possible for us to eat (and to call “good”) food we would otherwise consider to have gone “bad.” 4 likes
“The idea that we need to consume more of some particular nutrient to balance another that is overconsumed is as ineffective as taking vitamin C to minimize the damage from smoking cigarettes.” 3 likes