Start by marking “Readings for Diversity and Social Justice: An Anthology on Racism, Sexism, Anti-Semitism, Heterosexism, Classism, and Ableism” as Want to Read:

The first reader to cover the scope of oppressions in America, Readings for Diversity and Social Justice covers six thematic issues: racism, sexism, Anti-Semitism, heterosexism, classism, and ableism. The reader contains a mix of short personal and theoretical essays as well as entries designed to challenge students to take action to end oppressive behavior and to affirm d ...more
Published August 11th 2000 by Routledge (first published August 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Readings for Diversity and Social Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Readings for Diversity and Social Justice

Start your review of Readings for Diversity and Social Justice: An Anthology on Racism, Sexism, Anti-Semitism, Heterosexism, Classism, and Ableism
Karime
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pedagogy
I would recommend this book to a person that does not know anything about people from other cultures, skin tone, religion or different lifestyles but yet is open to learn; whereas, if you're of the belief that just because the U.S. has a black president it means that racism is over, then you will struggle with this book constantly, and most likely you ignore how ANYBODY can be discriminated against based on body weight, age, religion, social class, your accent, etc. If you struggle, I would sugg ...more
Hugh
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is one of the more valuable books on my shelf. A wonderful collection of timely and relevant readings that everyone should spend some time pondering.
Jordan
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a nice compilation of carefully chosen essays on Racism, Classism, Sexism, Heterosexism, Transgender Oppression, Ableism, and Ageism.

I still do not understand the nuances of the Context, Voices, and Next Steps sections; they all seem to be the same type of writing, and doing the same things? Is that just me? Whatever, I found the book to be informative and engaging, for the most part.

The last section of this book, on turning our newfound knowledge of privilege and oppression into soci
Anna
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was for a class and I don't think that anyone would be reading it straight through, but it tends to paint a picture of oppression where there is none if you do. While I know that oppression, racism, sexism and other isms exist, I find that its hard to read about it when I myself choose to move on and work with it or through it. Maybe that's me. Anyway this was for a class not by choice.
Sherry
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful reading, complements the "Teaching" book very well.
Lindsay Allison
Despite the topics being near to my heart, this was yet another textbook that was just too difficult to read and get through. Just because the information is interesting doesn't mean I want to pour over tiny text with nothing to break it up. Presentation is important, people.

Again, the professor didn't require us to actually read so I gave up on this one.
Shirley
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great collection.

The thing that always sticks out in my mind from this collection is the clear visual of breaking out of the norm mentally... the moment of awareness of the reality of oppression and the need for social justice.

Really comprehensive, covering stories from the key social identity groups.
Dayspring
A must-have resource for social justice educators or anyone wishing to further their own understanding of oppression and privilege. The book is a collection of articles and book excerpts on a variety of topics related to diversity and social justice. Not exactly something you read cover-to-cover, but an excellent resource!
Ashley
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked how each section was easy to read but also easy to relate to. The chapters were helpful in opening my eyes to things I would never be able to experience myself, and at the same time showing me what privilege really is. A really good read for my M.A. class!
Madeline
Aug 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had to read this for my freshman seminar class, and it was the most useless book I have ever read. It was worse than Animal Farm and 1964, both by George Orwell. I couldn't pay attention or focus for the entire book. Definitely the worst book I have ever read.
Rachel
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Important, pertinent reading. Sometimes the sections feel repetitive, outdated, and/or missing some perspective, but the book definitely has important messages, as well as a lot of well-known and lesser-known activist voices, including bell hooks, Cornel West, & others.
Lisa
Jan 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, school
Had to read this for school and hated it. It shouldn't take a book this large to teach the Golden Rule. Quit being judgmental assholes, people! It's not hard!
Eric
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First 15 articles I've read have all been excellent. I really like the topic matrix and overall format. Has become a great reference for equity and social justice topics.
Sheila
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
The only text I remember from grad school. Great collection of essays.
Brandy
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
best text book I've ever read.
Nijole
have to read this for my diversity class. heterosexism?
Marissa
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great essays and articles on a variety of topics including ableism, racism, sexism, anti-semitism, heterosexism, and classism. I find myself referring to it and recommending it often.
Shelby
Jul 31, 2008 rated it liked it
A social justice/diversity primer.
Jen
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A thorough compilation on social justice issues. Newer editions have been updated to include transgender oppression and adultism. A must read and must own item for social justice educators.
Samantha
My social justice bible of short essays and amazerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs. YES!
Laurel
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Best assigned textbook ever!
Keri Grant
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is no escaping the spotlight that lands in your lap as you read these stories. This book gives great insight and background to the struggles faced by many as our society continues to struggle with issues of racism, sexism, classism, ableism, etc. The more you know, the more you grow. If you pick this up, you assume responsibility to take action. "Silence always favors the oppressor."
Theresa
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I used her other book Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice in one of my Women's Studies classes at California State University, Sacramento. It's a wonderful book, very effective. This book is a great companion piece. It give the reader an excellent overview of the isms.
Hannah Brislin
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am sure this is required reading in many college courses but it should be required reading for everyone!
Cory Blystone
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing collection of articles and essays that call into question our collective social responsibilities towards one another as human beings.
Salamah
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great textbook. Easy to read and understand. Great for insight into social justice issues.
Emma
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot! It was for a class, and I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise but it was amazing. I think more people should read this, or books like it. It gives real insight into oppression, and people who are different from you. It has both theory and practical examples and is very anthology in style, which means you didn't get tired of it.
And that is a real fear, because it is an extremely fat book, and it isn't exactly small either. It's worth it, though! For fun, curiosity, or sc
Oct 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I did not read this book cover to cover but I did read as much as I had to for my social justice class. Not my favorite textbook ever.
Pete
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Nice diversity of issues/topics explored; but the excerpted-nature of it creates a cursory feel to it all. The bibliography will still be a nice resource to have, though.
Cassie
Nov 07, 2008 added it
it's required for one of my classes but really well put together. theory is nicely balanced with history and personal stories to make this less text-booky.

• The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed
  • Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes: A No-Bullshit Guide to World Mythology
  • The Rich Get Richer and the Poor Get Prison: Ideology, Class, and Criminal Justice
  • His Favorite Wife: Trapped in Polygamy
  • The Bus Driver Who Wanted to be God & Other Stories
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
  • Murder on a Kibbutz (Michael Ohayon, #3)
  • Panther in the Basement
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • The Nature of Prejudice
  • American Like Me: Reflections on Life Between Cultures
  • White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide
  • We Are Displaced
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
Professor Emerita at UMass Amherst, Maurianne Adams (Ph.D.) is co-editor/chapter author of Teaching for diversity and social justice (2nd edition, 2007) and the companion volume of readings Readings for diversity and social justice (3rd edition, 2013). She co-edited Strangers and neighbors: Relations between Blacks and Jews in the United States (1999) and edited Promoting Diversity in the College ...more