Start by marking “Fashion and Its Social Agendas: Class, Gender, and Identity in Clothing” as Want to Read:
Fashion and Its Social Agendas: Class, Gender, and Identity in Clothing

Fashion and Its Social Agendas: Class, Gender, and Identity in Clothing

It has long been said that clothes make the man (or woman), but is it still true today? If so, how has the information clothes convey changed over the years? Using a wide range of historical and contemporary materials, Diana Crane demonstrates how the social significance of clothing has been transformed.

Crane compares nineteenth-century societies—France and the United
Published September 1st 2001 by University of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fashion and Its Social Agendas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashion and Its Social Agendas

Start your review of Fashion and Its Social Agendas: Class, Gender, and Identity in Clothing
Katrina Sark
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
1 – Fashion, Identity and Social Change

p.1 – Clothing, as one of the most visible forms of consumption, performs a major role in the social construction of identity. Clothing choices provide an excellent field for studying how people interpret a specific form of culture for their own purposes, one that includes strong norms about appropriate appearances at a particular point in time (fashion) as well as an extraordinary rich variety of alternatives. One of the most visible markers of social
Izetta Autumn
Aug 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: visualcultureart
There's just no way around it: this book was truly painful. Drawn out, poorly and uninventively written, and to be about such an exciting topic, surprisingly and inexplicably boring. My disappointment, I think, is in direct connection to how excited I was to read this book. I can't even begin to express it - I moved it back in the cue so that I would save it for my prime reading month.

From the outset, I noticed that the person who had the book before me, seemed to highlight heavily in the
Tove
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good! Lots of statistics-- which as any fashion reader knows is pretty uncommon-- of class, social, and monetary indicators, some of which suggested conclusions different from what I'd believed. Well organized chapters in approximate chronological order that concentrated on class struggles, gender discrepancies in spending, wearing, and reading fashion images, etc. It weakened a bit in the last chapter or two as Crane struggled to distill late 20th century fashion complexities, ...more
Leonard Houx
May 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Fashion and Its Social Agendas compiles an impressive amount of historical research on a fascinating topic. Despite this, the book was remarkably boring by avoiding both historical detail and conceptual depth. Steering between the two, it seemed as if the author was consciously trying to make the text as generic as possible.
Casey
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Well written and informative, I learned quite a bit more than I expected to about the power fashion has had in the history of specifically Western civilization to distinguish between classes, genders, and nationalities. Less of a fun read and more of an educational one, I didn't love the book, but I certainly found it useful.
Karen
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Sadly, I couldn't get into it. Maybe another time.
Rachel Nickens
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book tries to do too much, so the argument comes across as overly general and the chapters seem disconnected from each other.
Natalie
Jan 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
A.