Start by marking “Dark Places” as Want to Read:
Dark Places

Dark Places (Dark Places of The Earth #1)

In a place so harsh that survivalis a struggle, one man has found the strength to kill ...

Paul Wood is a modern vagabond, a man who chooses to leave the comforts of San Francisco to spend months backpacking through some of the world's most challenging terrain: Cameroon, Indonesia, Nepal. While hiking in the Himalayas, Paul gets more of a rush than he bargained for when he
Published May 25th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Places

Nicole
Mar 11, 2017 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
Es wird von einem Mann gemunkelt, der sich 'Der Stier' nennt; es geht das Gerücht, dass dieser Mann die Gesellschaft alleinreisender Backpacker sucht, sie in abgelegene Gegenden begleitet, dort ermordet und ihnen die Augen aus sticht. Es gibt zudem unbestätigte Vermutungen, der Stier sei kein Afrikaner, sondern ein europäischer Rucksacktourist. Seine Spur soll sich von Kapstadt bis nach Malawi ziehen.

Im Klappentext wird der Vergleich mit Alex Garlands 'Der Strand' gezogen, welches ich damals ve
Heidi
Nov 09, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I loved reading this book. It's fast paced from beginning till end, with a bit of surprising turns and twists in the middle. It was very hard to put down and I just wanted to keep going and going. Love the writing style and storyline!
Will Byrnes
Nov 01, 2008 Will Byrnes rated it liked it
While trekking the Annapurna Circuit narrator Balthazar Wood and his companion come across a dead Canadian, propped up, with two Swiss Army knives stuck deeply into his eyes. The local constabulary is not interested in creating any fuss, but Wood proceeds to investigate. He has some motivation as the death is remarkably similar to a killing two years prior, in which his girlfriend was murdered in Cameroon, and marked in the same way. Also, on the mountain, he is pursued by a person he believes t ...more
Kat
Oct 18, 2007 Kat rated it liked it
Not a huge mystery fan, but this one, part mystery, part travelog, was creepy enough to hook me.
Natazzz
Mar 24, 2013 Natazzz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
It's well-written, but the plotline just couldn't hold my interest.
Cidney
Jul 04, 2013 Cidney rated it liked it
Exotic Locals, Banana Pancakes & Murder on the Cheap

The Lonely Planet traveler knows how to see some of the world’s most beautiful and exotic locations on the cheap. A passport, a backpack, a pair of good boots and a map of the local youth hostels and you’re on your way. Typical problems on the road revolve around disease, transportation, food and water. Who would think to add serial killer to this list? This is the idea presented in this creepy little story.

International backpackers are typ
Babs
Sep 13, 2015 Babs rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well. I must say, this book turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I ended up getting hooked on it, and , in the end, thought it was a very good read.

For a first book it is excellent. The murder/mystery aspect was well thought out, and for once, the twists and turns kept me guessing right to the end. I liked the way little red herrings (that could be entirely plausible) were dropped into the plot to further disguise what was really happening (or about to happen).

The only criticism is that in pla
Eero
Sep 01, 2012 Eero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, free-ebook
The author obviously has chosen to write what he knows. The IT stuff is all very real and accurate, although now obviously dated with references to search engines and services that don't exist any more (remember Yahoo Briefcase?). At one point Paul pays for one year of 500 megs at something called xdrive.com and comments on how pricey it is; that was the situation in 2000, when the term "cloud storage" was still unknown and there was no Dropbox or Google Drive. There is a passing mention of the ...more
Philip
Dec 16, 2013 Philip rated it liked it
My good friends loaned me this book to accompany their personal tale of meeting the author while they were trekking in Ecuador. It was a fun, quick read and I found it intriguing in that Evans seemed to have invented a new sub-genre for Mystery/Suspense, which is Tech-Geek as World Traveler/Unsuspecting Super Sleuth.

Certain aspects of the writing style seemed as if Evans was trying too hard. He tends towards these exclamatory-virtually-underlined-twists-of-phrase that are typically based in pop-
Elaina
Nov 18, 2015 Elaina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, WOW! This story took me, shook me and enthralled me from the first page to the last!

Clearly the author has either travelled extensively, for we go from Nepal to California to Indonesia to London to Africa and more, accompanied by vivid descriptions, or he is brilliant at research. Then to weave in murder and mayhem across continents? Amazing.

Although this is set in the year 2000 and employs the technology from the time to find the killer and is therefore out of date (tech-wise), I found th
Lucy
Mar 31, 2016 Lucy rated it it was ok
I read the second half of this book in one sitting. It was becoming so ludicrous that I was fascinated, wondering just how bad it could get. It's a travelogue murder mystery with an IT geek as the main character. Unfortunately those different aspects don't really mesh. The travelogue was actually quite appealing and was the saving factor that kept this book from getting a 1-star rating. The murder mystery was just plain dumb. The geeky IT stuff was mildly interesting, but probably only because o ...more
Michael
Aug 22, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story that needs a bit more editing.

Trekking around third world countries certainly seems exciting, but when someone starts killing people for what appears to be sport, the thrill of the backcountry drastically changes. The author could have spent a bit more time on character development, as the reader learns little about them beyond a few quirks. I came across numerous typos that should have been caught during the editing process.
Hilary
Nov 01, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, thriller
This was a random book I picked up in the free bin outside a bookstore, so I didn't expect much, but it surprised me. The writing flowed easily, the characters felt real and the travel details authentic, and even close to the end I couldn't be certain I knew how it would finish. And I couldn't leave it at home to finish later as I'd intended. What more can you ask?
Huw Thomas
Mar 01, 2013 Huw Thomas rated it it was amazing
The story hooked me with the first line and kept me gripped the whole way - and I loved the last line of the book.
As someone who's walked the Annapurna circuit and backpacked in other parts of the world I found it very easy to engage with the characters and the places described.
Well-written, nicely paced and with an original plot - what more could you want?
Megmar
Mar 19, 2014 Megmar rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mysteries
Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. The story was fast-paced and realistic, and full of some beautiful descriptions. I loved Paul's narrative voice - typically stories written in first person are, for me, hit or miss, but I felt Paul was spot on. It was essentially a murder mystery wrapped up in a love letter to traveling, and I found it thoroughly entertaining.
Susan Yasuhara
Jan 05, 2009 Susan Yasuhara rated it liked it
I liked how this book started out in Nepal, then onto SF and other places I've visited. Kind of an internet detective story. It became more curious as the book came to an end but I was disappointed in the ending...I guess I would have given it a more exciting ending. Wonder if such a group exists where you can get away with murder on the international circuit...makes you think a bit.
D R
Oct 29, 2014 D R rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two things that stopped me rating this book higher were its weird plot, and writing style. What made me give 3 stars is the occasional brilliance that nudged me to read on. Yet, I would say - try it out; you might like.
Jennifer Hollandbeck
Jan 11, 2016 Jennifer Hollandbeck rated it liked it
Shelves: ipa-book-club
Can't decide on how to rate this one. The plot was a solid 4 until it became so completely preposterous that I laughed out loud. However, it definitely engrossed me and made me want to keep reading until the end. Great literature, no. An entertaining thriller, for sure.
Mohd
Aug 04, 2014 Mohd rated it liked it
A good read, nothing sophisticated but very intriguing
James
Jul 18, 2010 James rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
Not good unless you like hearing about other peoples gap years. Actually make that very smug peoples gap years.
Martha
Nov 14, 2015 Martha added it
adventure travel goes deadly criminal
Britt
Dec 27, 2011 Britt rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished, 2012
Just not my kind of book.
Alison
kindle mystery / action
Patrick Shelly Jr
Very well paced, not drawn out too far, not to rushed. Nice character development. Will probably read book 2, if there is one out.
Pam
Mar 01, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
02/29/08 rec via bookmooch
Kevin Pillay
Kevin Pillay rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2017
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Frank  Pettinato
Frank Pettinato rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Rosi
Rosi rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover picture 2 9 Mar 05, 2017 07:07AM
  • Betrayed
  • Good Morning, Darkness
  • The King of Terrors
  • Soundkeeper (Hall McCormick Thriller, #1)
  • Cutting Edge
  • The Sholes Key (Evans and Blackwell Mystery #1)
  • Atlanta Nights
  • With A Twist (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8.5)
  • Star Wars: A New Hope Manga, Volume 1
  • The Apostle Murders (Keller & Morris #1)
  • The Girl in the Trees
  • A Dream of Armageddon
  • Beautiful Red
  • The Moose Jaw
  • Stigma
  • Some Of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
  • Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong, #2)

Dark Places of The Earth (2 books)
  • The Blood Price