Start by marking “Ish” as Want to Read:
Ish

Ish

(Creatrilogy)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  9,503 ratings  ·  1,007 reviews
A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right" in this gentle new fable from the creator of the award-winning picture book THE DOT.

Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere.

Drawing is what Ramon does. Its what makes him happy. But in one split second, all that changes. A single reckless remark by Ramon's older brother,
Published August 19th 2004 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Ish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ish

·  9,503 ratings  ·  1,007 reviews

Start your review of Ish
David Schaafsma
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, art
A picture book for all ages about living life "ish-ly". We all know about the kind of thinking that insists that kids draw "within the lines" or follow precisely the given outline or form in their writing. This is a standardized school/home approach that can do great damage to some kids.

In this book Ramon draws all the time; one day his older brother laughs at his drawing of a vase: "what's that supposed to be?!" and Ramon crumples up all his drawings, feeling failure. But his sister collects
Kelli
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this story. I love the illustrations and the message. I love the hand lettered text and the teaching moments within the story: one unkind comment can have a long reaching effect, all art is beautiful, everyone sees things differently, and there is no perfect. I love the wise little sister and the sweetness of her contribution to the story. But mostly I love that my children continue to check this book out of the library again and again, one with many important messages ...more
Archit Ojha
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Creativity at its pinnacle!

Little Ramon likes to draw a lot but when his elder brother makes fun of his drawing, he looses his confidence. Her sister is watching all of it and guess what! She inspires him to draw again.

This time, Ramon draws tree-ish, fish-ish, sun-ish, peace-ish, poem-ish and much more.

Highly recommended.
Patrick
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While this book is nominally for kids, I can think of a lot of adults who could benefit from reading this. It's a great discussion of creativity.

Highly recommended.
Lisa Vegan
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young and creative people, which means all young people
Oh, I am a sucker for books that combine children and art: books about children who are artists, art books for children, etc. etc. This is an excellent book, even for readers who don’t share my passion for kids/art books.

This book has a lovely message about how what we say to young artists (writers, etc.) about their work can make such a difference. It really resonated with me how the story showed that having one’s art criticized can lead one to give up making it, and having one’s art valued can
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

How we feel can be captured in so many ways with color, scribbles, pictures, and art-ish ways. Get it out. Put it out there in the world! Ish inspires readers and artists of all ages to keep drawing, writing, and capturing the world with art.

"He began to draw what he felt—
Loose lines.
Quickly springing out. Without worry”

Ramon loves to draw. Draw, draw, and draw. But one day a teasing laugh, point, and criticism dashes his creative flow and confidence. Ramon soon discovers that life is filled
Kendall
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think kids (and adults alike) have had their creativity squashed by a remark made by someone else. This book teaches you it is okay if your art is not perfect--just to keep drawing, painting, writing, creating and let that creativity flourish and change and grow.
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
A charming little book. It starts about the relationships between siblings. Ultimately, it becomes a story about valuing one’s own creative output. It manages to also touch upon the neee to realizing that different people value things differently based on their relationships to those things and their personal taste.

A street little book with a nice, complex yet easily digestible message to teach.
Ann
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ann by: Amazon - haha!:D
I absolutely love the idea of this story and the execution! What a wonderful way to inspire children (and adults!) to simply indulge whatever creative outlet you want, no matter what it "looks" like. Does it feel right? Are you enjoying the creative process?

I thought the illustrations fit the text perfectly, and that the text was simple but got across plenty of information and expression - the beauty is in the simplicity.

I docked one star simply because the sibling relationships were, at times,
Kathryn
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
I was truly touched by this book--probably because I can empathize with our hero's artistic soul! Ramon draws with a carefree, passionate spirit--until his brother makes fun of one of his drawings, saying it looks nothing like the vase Ramon was sketching. Crushed, Ramon seems to lose his muse, and begins crumpling up his future artistic endeavors. But one day he realizes there is someone who truly enjoys his work--she says that even if the drawing doesn't look like a perfect vase, it looks ...more
Julian
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: niños
I so much like this book because it was the first read ever recommended by my 6yo daughter. She read "Dot" at school and, when we bought it, she told me the author had another very good book, Ish, I should read. We have it at home now.

The story is similar to Dot, or the other way around, as Ish predates Dot. Still, tt drives the message of fostering creativity and that art doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be ours. Great book.
royaevereads
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A reminder that perfection is rarely the goal and that art is subjective
Negar
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The most inspiring book ever !!
Gretchen
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great story about a non-artist and how he learns to cope with it. Must read for all who wish they were more artistic.
Basma
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful message behind this book. Gift it to yourself when you are in self doubt, gift it to the adults in your life who think they’ll never be good enough and to the little ones in your life who are figuring out what they like.
Huda
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Huda by: Amal Saleh
5 stars are never enough for such an amazing book!!
How brillliant!!
It's the PEACE when we all live "ishfully" ever after
loved it!!

U should all read it
Thanx Mrs.Amal 4recommending the book(:
Carolynne
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Malinda
When this book turned up on our new book shelf, I thought "Now why did I order this 2004 book?" Then when I read it I remembered why I ordered it for the Curriculum Library. It rates 4.4 stars from Goodreads, which is just about right. When Ramon's brother makes fun of his big passion, his art work, Ramon is deflated and discouraged, discarding every single drawing because it is not completely realistic. Then big sister Marisol shares a secret with him--she has been uncrumpling his drawings and ...more
Zaz
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story was enjoyable with good messages, explaining that perfection isn't the goal and that things can be beautiful for some people and not for others. The focus on art was nice and I liked the illustrations with the water colors. Marisol and Ramon were likable characters and I think it's a good picture book for not gentle siblings.
Christina Maksymczuk
I like how this book teaches children to not be so critical of their work. It's the process not the product that counts. This story remind me of the saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure" because his younger sister loved the pictures! It also teaches what an "ish" means.
Andrea Chapman
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is really cute. Alexis loved it. It is short and sweet about a boy who draws pictures but they don't really look like what he wants them too. They look...ish. Its a lovely idea and a great message to kids about how not everybody sees things in the same way.
Kandice
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reading
I absolutely love this story as it encourages the reader to allow his/her creative self to naturally manifest. This book would be a wonderful teaching tool for any type of art class. A must-have for a child's library.
Nojood Alsudairi
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Is it the end? No! It is the end-ish indeed!
Thanks a million Huda.
Just found out he is the Judy Mody illustrator. Great.
Saralyn
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful books on creativity I've ever read.
Lydia
Ish makes me want to write-ish and draw-ish and give-ish and smile-ish (all without the ish). Peter Reynolds is one talented author and illustrator!
Miranda
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story!! I'm logging this on Goodreads so that I remember it for when I have kids.
Reba Walton
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Peter Reynolds that teaches creativity and perseverance.
Abigail
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Would-Be Artists
When Ramon's older brother makes a dismissive comment about one of his drawings, the budding young artist finds that his confidence has been shaken, and that, from then on, nothing he produces seems to look "right." Then one day, his younger sister makes off with one of his crumpled efforts, and - in the process of trying to retrieve it - he discovers that visual verisimilitude is not always necessary. Who cares if his drawing doesn't look exactly like a vase? It looks "vase-ish..."

Lindsey Rick
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great growth mindset book
Sophia Hermosillo
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The past time of drawing is what makes Ramon’s world go round, but after a single negative comment by his older brother, Ramon’s perspective of the talent he thought he possessed goes downhill. This inspiring story focused on a young, young boy named Ramon who after trial and error soon discovers that having his own artistic style is ok too. He also discovers a new perspective on things around him, he thinks in things with more “ish”.

I would use his art as a visual for setting because anytime
Brittany Van
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Scholastic Inc., 2004, 32 pgs., Genre: Fiction, Grade level: PreK-5, GR level: L, Lexile level: 520L
Ish is one of my favorite picture books due to its inspiring lesson and simplistic illustrations. This books reveals the how you do not have to be perfect to be proud of what you have accomplished. In addition, it helps the reader understand that even when you may not be proud of something you have created, there may always be someone else who is proud and believes in you. In the story, this is

• Enemy Pie
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • The Name Jar
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness
Peter Hamilton Reynolds is an author and illustrator of children's books and is the co-Founder and CEO of educational media company FableVision.

Creatrilogy (3 books)