Start by marking “Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)” as Want to Read:

Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover

(Little Britches #8)

Horse of a Different Color ends the "roving days" of young Ralph Moody. His saga began on a Colorado ranch in Little Britches and continued at points east and west in Man of the Family, The Fields of Home, The Home Ranch, Mary Emma & Company, Shaking the Nickel Bush, and The Dry Divide. All have been reprinted as Bison Books.
Published August 1st 1994 by Bison Books (first published January 1st 1968)

Shiloah
This has to be one of the best in the series. Absolutely inspirational!
Rob Cannon
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend all 8 of the Ralph Moody "Little Britches" books. There are some that I enjoyed more than others, but that is only the difference between 4 and 5 stars in this case.

Moody teaches us the value of hard work and honest dealing. These principles are contrasted very well by showing the consequences of laziness and cheating. And he tells a ripping good story in the process. We also get insights into the strong bonds of family, friendship and the love between a man and a woman. And
Sara
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the most inspiring book in the series. Ralph is one incredible man of virtue and value. His entrepreneurial mind is impressive and coupled with his strong core values, he is a man who is a blessing not only to himself and his family but all those who are his neighbors as well.
Christy
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ralph Moody was a pretty amazing man. He showed that everything can be turned around, improved and made to prosper by thinking out of the box and hard work. Anyone lucky enough to know and work with him benefited.

This book, like the last one, was probably a little boring to the boys because all the details, but I made sure to talk about the principles.

Highly highly recommend this whole series. I would love to know how his family turned out, about his kids etc... He died in the 80's.
Angela
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first started reading the 'little britches' series as a child. My father would tuck us into bed and then read aloud from the first few books in the series. It wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered that there were a few Ralph Moody books I hadn't read, Horse of A Different Color chief among them. I can't recommend this book highly enough :)
Becky
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites of the series. This guy lived a thousand lifetimes in 22 short years. Love these stories - will read them again and again.
Gerda Leek
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The whole series - wonderful.
Denae Christine
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reader thoughts: So, Ralph Moody is just a really cool guy. I wish I could have met him. The big things I didn't like about this book were that 1, it's the last in the series. 2, he gets married at the end.

So funny, and heartbreaking. My favorites are still the ones about when he's 8 to 14 best, the first 4 or so. He makes more mistakes in those, which makes it more interesting.

In this book, my favorite scene, which was only a paragraph or so, is the one with the sheep.

Ralph said the most he mad
Ariel
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
By the end of this book I was thoroughly amazed at how much a 23-year-old had accomplished, how many trials he'd come out the other side of, and how much he'd grown since the start of the Little Britches series! As always, I like to note what lessons I learned from the books I read... so from this book I learned about how very, very useful it can be to have friends you trust who know about whatever business you're going into. I learned that bankruptcy is far from the end of the world, and it can ...more
Ashley
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm really not sure why exactly I've loved these books so much. I have loved reading about his adventures, his work ethic, how he always seems to come out on top, how nothing seems to get him down, how he never blames anyone for what life deals him, how he always has a plan to make things right.... I love that it's true! His story just seems like too much, too crazy, too unbelievable. And at the end of this book, he's only 23! I wonder what he did with the rest of his life....

The books aren't ne
Dawn
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We love Love LOVE this book series!! Horse of a Different Color is the last of 8 books... all beloved by our family. Beautifully written, laugh-and-cry-worthy, these books are such a delight to savor. Ralph Moody wrote the Little Britches series as an autobiographical sketch of his childhood and young adulthood. This final book ends on his 23rd birthday, after MANY great adventures that might make a mother cringe, lots of humor and heartbreak, crazy hard times and loads of wild fun! I have to sa ...more
Sara
The finale! Truly an uplifting, inspiring series of books. Ralph is a good guy and he certainly is dealt some tough hands, but he has a gifted way of seeing the potential, the positive and the possibilities within each of those less-than-ideal situations. And then he moves forward, not allowing self-doubt to stop him from making the very best of every circumstance he finds himself in. He seems to clearly understand the principle of being an agent to act and not to be acted upon.
Melanie
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, biographies
This was a fantastic series. In this book, Ralph Moody gets to start from scratch, and he builds on his solid work ethic and experience to get his feet under him once more. He meets plenty of interesting people and has a turn of events that creates a bright future for himself.
John
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Best series ever written or lived. Highly recommend all of his adventures
Jessica
May 16, 2009 rated it liked it
So good! He's such a good man! You'll fall in love with his honest good heart.
Mom
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the whole series, & enjoyed them all, except for the fact that Ralph seems to be willing to be used by lazy people. I was really disappointed with his choice of a wife, who told him where they would live, instead of letting him choose where he could earn their living, being that he would be the breadwinner. She even refused to wear an engagement ring at her graduation...after he saved for a whole year to buy the ring! I think his loneliness clouded his judgment, & since he was suc ...more
Tamara
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
My overall feeling finishing this series is that I’m so sad it’s over! That’s in spite of the fact that (I hate to say it but) the last two books were pretty boring. He goes into deep detail about livestock training, butchering, hauling, etc but there’s not a lot of plot otherwise. You do see his character shining through as always, as he maintains his integrity despite some very unfair hard knocks and looks out for others when no one would expect him to.

The most unsatisfying thing about the se
Katrin V
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rereading Moody does not disappoint. The hope and goodwill in his recounting of life in Kansas after WWI is so uplifting and the deals he made with various farmers and bankers are an education in the economics of farming. This one is definitely not a kid's book. This is the last in his biographical series and it seems that the audience he was writing for grew older as he progressed through the telling. Little Britches, the first in the series, is a great read aloud for elementary/primary school ...more
Dawn
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Depression hasn’t come yet, but life in Kansas for the young Ralph Moody is tight. He sees that getting ahead involves getting up before the sun rises, being honest, fair trading in goods and services, and being willing to learn new skills from more experienced people. Because Ralph is thoughtful and kind to others, he finds they look after him.
Valentine
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Great ending to finish off the series. I would have loved to have known more of how his grandpa faired on his farm. I would have thought Ralph would have followed up on that part of the story. My favorite books were 1-5 which were his childhood. But also enjoyed books 5-8.
Debbie Haakenson
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was first read to me by 7th grade teacher. I read it to my children later, who called it the boys Laura Ingalls Wilder. My family totally enjoyed the books I was able to locate.
Deborah Gaspar
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story about growing up in rural setting.
Race Bettich
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was the best book I've ever read. It was kind of hard to read at some points, but all together, the story was great. I would totally recommend this book to any one, and the entire series as well.
PenelopeRose
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a good book to finish the series with. I nearly cried by the end.
Elaine
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great ending to this series. I would recommend it and all of the series to any family. What great values it portrays. I would have given it five stars, but sometimes his successes were a little over the top for me. As in the others, hard work and persistence are major themes of this book, but this one added an element of the importance of having a mentor and being humble enough to listen.

P. 226 When making excuses, Ralph (a.k.a. Bud) starts out ". . .but. . ." and Effie replies, "Buttin's for
Missy
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is another of Moody's biographical works accounting of his early twenties. I just loved it. He's such a scrapper, but you can see his father's steadiness in him too. I am really excited to read the rest of the series in between this one and Little Britches and see how he got to this point.
I just could not get over how hard he, especially, and all the other farm folk work every single day. They did more work in a day than I do in a week, easily. And that's just the way it was. I wonder if t
Kari
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1918-to-1929-ad
Haha! This wasn't quite my favorite book of all books, but as far as I remember, I may have smiled more for the pure fun of it when I read this one than any of the others. I think maybe I didn't know the whole back story since I haven't read the book right before this one yet, but I will. I basically just loved how he and his wife got together and his sendoff from the townspeople to go get married. And he was only 22! I was 22 when I read it, last summer, and I just felt like I'm really the same ...more
Jane
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Jane by: Given to me when I was first dx'd w/diabetes
Shelves: owned, to-read-again
It's been a long time since I've read this book, but it was brought to my attention recently because of the history of diabetes and the discovery of insulin and the different methods of treatment for diabetes.

Ralph Moody was diagnosed with diabetes and he tells about how he manages it along with his experiences with the buying and selling of stock.

I had no idea that this book was part of a series so now I'm thrilled to be able to look for the other books in the series and read the rest of hi
T.K. Naliaka
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the eighth book in a series often considered the boy's equivalent of the "Little House on the Prairie" series. A beautifully-presented edition of the account of a boy growing up, with real-life hardships and challenges, a very personal account of family and people making it through despite tough circumstances, yet always with the bracing expectation that boys were expected to act like men in the face of adversity.
Jeannie Denney
Sad to see the series end

Wow! What a ride. Emotional ups and downs in this wonderful book. Loved every minute of this sweet autobiographical series. Moody is excellent at spinning a yarn and the characters that make up the cast of his adventurous life are colorful and delightful.

• Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians, Volume 1
  • Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • Trees
  • The Great Little Madison
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)
  • To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Farmer George Plants a Nation
  • Onions in the Stew (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #4)
Ralph Moody was an American author who wrote 17 novels and autobiographies about the American West. He was born in East Rochester, New Hampshire, in 1898 but moved to Colorado with his family when he was eight in the hopes that a dry climate would improve his father Charles's tuberculosis. Moody detailed his experiences in Colorado in the first book of the Little Britches series, Father and I Were ...more

Little Britches (8 books)
  • Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches, #1)
  • Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2)
  • The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3)
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)
  • Shaking the Nickel Bush (Little Britches, #6)
  • The Dry Divide (Little Britches, #7)