Start by marking “Art's Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Art's Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #2)

Art's Blood (Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
North Carolina's hills are a crazy quilt of old farmsteads and new beginnings, of locals, strangers, artists, and new age wanderers. . . Here Elizabeth Goodweather has made her life -- a still-young widow who moves easily between the gentrified world of Asheville and old-timers in their hollows. But when a flamboyant performance artist is murdered, and Elizabeth learns the ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Dell (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Art's Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art's Blood

Gail
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
An excellent mystery with complex characters and plot, evocative local color, and intertwining stories. A second in the series, this story brings us back to Elizabeth Goodfellow, a fiftysomething widow living and farming in the mountains around Asheville, NC. She and her husband came to these hills more than twenty years ago to farm and raise their two daughters. Even now, the locals still call her "that Florida woman" even though she's got good friends and neighbors all around. Her herb and gar ...more
Amanda
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to the mountains near Asheville, where Elizabeth Fairweather farms, and occasionally pokes her nose into mysteries. Though to be fair, people are always asking her to put her oar in.

I like Elizabeth and her friends. I like the way the mysteries in the present are informed by things that happened in the past. I do not care for Lauren, the spoiled poseur artist daughter, but maybe she will mature.

Shane
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Asheville locale. Decsriptions were spot on.
Amanda
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the Asheville setting. as usual, get confused with mysteries, but would recommend.
Cathy Cole
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Line: I still see the bed-- its wide white expanse floating like a snowy island on the deep pearly carpet-- the creamy tufted silk coverlet neatly folded back-- the soft heaped pillows, their pale lace soaked and stiff with her blood.

The Appalachian Mountains to the west of Asheville, North Carolina, are a mix of old and new: people who have lived there for generations, newcomers who've moved in, artists, New Age devotees, old farms, and new businesses. Over twenty years ago, Elizabeth Goo
Andrea
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The North Carolina hills are where Elizabeth Goodweather has made her life for the past twenty one years. Now a window she makes her living working on her farm Full Circle Farm with her nephew Ben.

When her daughter Laurel invites her to the opening of the Gordon Annex an addition to the Asheville Museum of Art, Elizabeth was hesitant to go but since it was featuring the artwork of her neighbors Boz, Aidan and Kyra she felt she should go in support of her neighbors. During the event Boz storms o
Sandra
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Vicki Lane’s first book, Signs in Blood (two stars), I vowed I wouldn’t read another. But Art’s Blood was a freebie, and it’s set in Asheville’s River Arts District, where I have a studio, so I was curious.

Lane’s recurring main character, Liz Goodweather, a middle aged organic farmer, entering her daughter Laurel’s art scene, becomes involved in investigating the murder of a performance artist.

As in the first book, the parallel historical tale is more interesting and cohesive tha
Joan
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The second Vicki Lane - this one involves daughter Laura and friends in the art world.

From Vicki Lane's website" North Carolina's hills are a crazy quilt of old farmsteads and new beginnings, of locals, strangers, artists, and new age wanderers. . . Here Elizabeth Goodweather has made her life -- a still-young widow who moves easily between the gentrified world of Asheville and old-timers in their hollows. But when a flamboyant performance artist is murdered, and Elizabeth learns the amazing hi
Nikki
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
This was a great follow-up to Vicki Lane's first book, Signs in the Blood. Once again a contemporary mystery is taking place alongside one from the past, but this time the two are related. An almost Tennessee-Williams-like Southern Gothic storyline contrasts nicely with the eminently sane protagonist, Elizabeth Goodweather, and the life she has made in the Carolina mountains. Trenchant descriptions of the artist's quarter in Asheville add comic relief. I will definitely keep reading this series.
Susan Mazur Stommen
The Vicky Lane books are very well plotted, with lots of twists and turns. Even when you know where the story is going, she keeps you in suspense as to how she will get you there. The Appalachian setting is done without laying it on thick, or being patronizing - she has a real sense of place, which make sense as she lives there. There is even a little bit of spooky supernatural dashed into the mix, but just a touch, appropriate to the setting,
Jamie Brooks
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I read the first book in this series Signs in Blood and I liked it so I gave this book a try and really liked it as well. After reading all of Patricia Cornwells books I really wanted to find another mystery author that I loved and could follow and I think I have found one. Lot's of twists in this book, some things can lose you if you don't pay attention and it may seem a little drawn out in the beginning, but it starts to pick up.
Janet
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
I think I started this too soon after reading another mystery with an art theme. I kept looking at another book I had on my chair-side table and it was looking better and better so I finally gave in and peeked at the end of this book, then started the other book, and it held my attention longer than this one. I'm going to try another Vicki Lane book, I don't have a problem with the author-just the subject matter.
Kirsten
After reading two books in this series, I`m enjoying Vicki Lane's honest depiction of relationships (she shows Elizabeth`s mixed emotions and anxieties as mother, aunt, friend, widow) and appreciating the attention she gives to details of work and daily life. These are mystery books in which jobs like gardening, farming, cooking, sewing, crafting and caring for animals all take realistic time and effort; there's joy and satisfaction but also tiredness, dirt and mess. ...more
Melva
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in western NC, Elizabeth Goodweather, a sturdy farm widower finds herself involved in a murder mystery. Lots of great descriptions, intrigue and people to care about. This was read by the Mint Museum book club as has references the Asheville area where many artists live and work. I had just gone to a gallery walk a few weeks before reading this book, so it made it come even more to life.
Teresa
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first time I have read a book by Vicki Lane. She seems to have written two books and shuffled the pages together. One was about a series of murders the other about running an herb farm. Both books were interesting even though I thought her patronizing of the hard working mountain people she has lived among.
 Doris Powell
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Vicki's mysteries. First of all, I like the setting in the mountains around Asheville, NC. I like her main character Elizabeth Goodweather. And Vicki does a good job of relating a mystery that is well put together. I would recommend reading her books in order.
Nell
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyable for the setting, but I thought the plot a bit too farfetched to believe. Too much going on and the author made a point of dragging in every clue she had dropped so as to wrap things up neatly. Early in the series, and I can imagine it getting better.
Diane Godbold
Actually 3 and a half stars. This is the second of the Appalachian Mystery series, and again tells a story within a story. I like the characters and the setting and will be reading the rest of the series. An enjoyable read.
Sylvia Walker
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not bad. The novel is well-written, but very plot-driven; I didn't get a sense of the characters, or the place, as being real. For all it's plot-driven, the plot was the weakest point. It got a little too fantastic, jarring me right out of the story.
Julia
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first one (signs in the blood) but still an entertaining read. Has anyone noticed that the author has a little bit of a condescending edge or tone when she discusses all the New Age/hippes/artists living in the mountains? Or was it just me?
Pat
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A twisting turning murder mystery in the mountains of North Carolina. Religion taken to extremes make for an interesting plot.
Emily Leader
Entertaining cozy. Nice sense of artist community in Asheville, NC. Would read more of this author.
Jeanna Morgan
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the mountains of NC.
I am a mystery lover and also love to read books in a setting I am familiar with. This is both.
Chris
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-done-it
Vicki Lane continues here saga of the life of her heroine, Elizabeth Goodweather. I can't wait to find out 'who done it'!
Stephen
Another Elizabeth Goodweather mystery. In this one, the baddie was a woman! Oops, shouldn't have spilled that.
Shea
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Asheville setting but the story finished long before the book did.
Judith
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery turned out to be a good one, but it took forever to get there. I do like the intermixing of the past and those stories with the present story.
Debra
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing to reread Vicki Lane's myteries, hoping to find that I still like them as much as I remember.
Ashley Miller
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Couldn't put it down half way through. I am devoting this summer to read the whole collection.
Pati
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like as much as the first. A little predictable. This author does have a wonderful style and lovable characters. I wish I had a Full Circle Farm. Looking forward to the next book.
  • Death's Half Acre (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #14)
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • Saints at the River
  • For One Who Knows How to Own Land
  • Ghost Riders (Ballad, #7)
  • Requiem by Fire: A Novel
  • Dangerous Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #1)
  • Strange Images of Death (Joe Sandilands, #8)
  • River of Earth
Vicki Lane is the author of THE DAY OF SMALL THINGS and of the Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mysteries from Bantam Dell:IN A DARK SEASON, OLD WOUNDS, ART'S BLOOD,SIGNS IN THE BLOOD. Vicki and her family have lived in western North Carolina on a mountain farm since 1975.

For lots more info, go to http://vickilanemysteries.com or check Vicki's blog http://vickilanemysteries.blogspot.com
More about Vicki Lane...

Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery (6 books)
  • Signs in the Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #1)
  • Old Wounds (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #3)
  • In a Dark Season (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #4)
  • The Day of Small Things (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #5)
  • Under the Skin (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)