Start by marking “Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer” as Want to Read:
Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer

Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer

All over the world, soccer is known as “the Beautiful Game” and is the most popular sport. But in the United States, professional soccer still has a hard time catching on. It has had some successes here. The American Soccer League of the 1920s, Pélé and other international stars in the North American Soccer League’s glamorous 1970s, the indoor soccer phenomenon of the 1980 ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Potomac Books

To ask other readers questions about Long-Range Goals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long-Range Goals

Boyd McCamish
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was clearly a cut and paste job by the author. It read like the author was the ghost writer for Don Garber. I was unimpressed for this reason mainly, this is a great story that was squandered. It is highly superfical and if you'll pardon the expression quite lazy. I would say the authors description and analysis of the players early lawsuit and the subsequent road to unionization is the best example of this. It is written from a management perspective which is the give away, you can tell he ...more
Eric
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A lot of really interesting stuff in here. But as someone that's followed the league pretty closely from the beginning, things like the summaries of each season caused it to drag a bit for me.

Nevertheless, I appreciated it and it's a little sad that (as far as I know) this is still the only 'history of MLS' book out there. And those that haven't been following it all as the league grew (like I have) would probably enjoy it a lot more than I did.

Maybe, now that the league is solidly established w
Michael
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Solid history of the first dozen or so years of MLS.

The book is evenly split between season recaps (including descriptions of game highlights) and info on the business side of MLS and how it has progressed. If that sounds appealing to you, you'll enjoy the book.

It doesn't go into much depth about contraction; I'd've liked to get more on that story. I most enjoyed the details about the competition between the parties trying to get D1 certification in the US after the World Cup. Interesting stuff.
Chris
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good time-capsule of MLS' creation and first 16 years. Though some of it was less than gripping – all those seasons' results and performances recapped can only be so exciting – there were good stories and a lot more history that I didn't know than I expected.
Oscar Merida
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This books provides an excellent summary of the league's earliest years. Fans new to the league should read it to get a sense of the challenges faced launching MLS.
Alexander
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ultimate account of the history of the league. Exceeded my expectations.
Jimmy Laroue
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great look at the early history of Major League Soccer. Hope to see more books like this in the future.
Timm Higgins
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great read on the history of the MLS. I'd recommend it for those who've been MLS fans and those who are just coming into being fans for the first time of a MLS club.
Daniel Wible
Jan 16, 2018
Rmadd101
Apr 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Fitting neither the mold of a traditional sports journalist nor that of a modern-day snark merchant, I spent a couple of decades with newspapers, the second one with USA TODAY. While there, I covered a lot of soccer, went to four Olympic Games, became the paper's first MMA writer, and wrote the book Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer.

More books are in the works.